PES 2009 General Discussion Etc. (STRICTLY NO FIFA TALK OR POLITICAL CHAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PES 2009 News, Discussion and Rumours

its not fake

but all you fanboys WISHED it was, going by the videos i can believe everything said on that article

personally I don't understand the article apart from the review number.....lol

I sincerely believe that they are true.

Once again, for you to be able to zoom to such detail, the images would need to have enough resolution, which clearly is not the case with these here.

The following are the links for one of last year's PSM3 scans:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7OSYX4H0

As you can see, it still goes just to the pixel detail.

So, there's a negative preview of PES. It's really nothing new. Once again, as it has been throughout this past month or so, it all depends on what your expectations are, and what you want from the game. You got really nice playtest opinions from the pre-builds, as well as pretty negative ones.

Each one of you must know what to expect. This preview is nothing different than what you have heard so far.

reddevils said:
but all you fanboys WISHED it was, going by the videos i can believe everything said on that article

Hadn't seen the "fanboy" card being played in quite a while.

It's as much the "fanboys" wishing that that was a fake, as the "other-fanboys" praying for things like this to come up and be true, so they can slap them in the face of others.

You pick it. ;)

As far as I see it, everything is the same. The italian and danish playtest previews were also pretty critical on the same points.

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

Last edited:

since I work in the graphics and printing, when u scan a printed object like a magazine you will have halftone screens and the printing dots, if you zoom in the pic you will notice thats a DIGITAL image and NOT a Printed image.

I have a game mag in front of me (RESET, Swedish gaming mag), and I can only spot a slightly textured pattern in the pictures in the mag if I go as close as possible with my eye and look in a special angle. The artifacts from the printing are miniscule at worst, and the resolution and detail of the printing process is very big, to the point where I can see the extremely sharp and correct angles of edges of individual pixels in screenshot, without seeing any printing artifacts (and the artifacts aren't really dots, just a small texture that is hard to make out).

You seem to base your conclusion on a false premise, which is that printing dots are always clearly visible. I have a mag in front of me where that is definitely not the case, so it would at least seem totally possible that the PSM mag pictures posted also have this type of printing.

Last edited:

If this is a fake, the people who made it should make counterfeit money because they are fantastic.
I read the French PSM3 fairly regular and i can't believe it's a fake.

The fact that they really hate the game is bad news, because they were huge fans...France is arguably the most Pro-PES country in the world...if this does not wakens Konami up, then there is something terribly wrong.

Well i will buy FIFA09 aswell this year...

If it is real (most likely is) then it is good to finally see an honest preview/review from a major mag, because I am fed up of reading ones that bend the truth because they seem to have been paid off by the game developers to increase sales...

Well if that article is true and I dont know why it shouldnt have been a true, WENB guys has a lot to explain, f.e. where are they spending money they are getting from Konami for PES08 and PES09

Here's a thought. A few days before just about all is to be released concerning PES2009. WENB gets hacked and aren't available then a poor review surfaces...I smell a conspiracy.

Well if that article is true and I dont know why it shouldnt have been a true, WENB guys has a lot to explain, f.e. where are they spending money they are getting from Konami for PES08 and PES09

If it is real (most likely is) then it is good to finally see an honest preview/review from a major mag, because I am fed up of reading ones that bend the truth because they seem to have been paid off by the game developers to increase sales...

I'd assume that PESFan also has some explanations to give, as well as other magazines that liked the playtest?

Do people need to be bought by Konami for giving a good opinion on something? Can't some people like what others dislike? Is it always bending the truth?

It is not like there weren't playtests who said exactly what this preview is saying - as well as playtest impressions who enjoyed what they played.

Of course this article is true.

And so are the rest of the others - both the positive as well as the negative.

Now, why are the negative ones the truth, and the positive ones bending the truth, it completely baffles me.

I guess PES is like marmite - you either love it or hate it...

Here's a thought. A few days before just about all is to be released concerning PES2009. WENB gets hacked and aren't available then a poor review surfaces...I smell a conspiracy.

That's a funny thought :) Also, an insider tells me that the reason they're only coming back mid-September is because this way all the bad previews can come out in the open ;)

Last edited:

That article simply shows my exact thoughts about the game (having seen all the videos,read all previews and knowing the saga from iss makes it easy to know what's coming). A great article, unbiased I may say, they simply point the obvious flaws of the series in PS3, nothing of importance solved or reworked.

I can have faith on pes 2010 if they do it all from scratch, but pes 2009 sounds like another terrible flop from all the sources I have (journalists, friends who played demo...).

I don't have time to translate it all for you, but they focus on:

AI: terrible again, with positional work being bad. Wings are always desserted again, a lot of traffic in the center of the pitch that makes a ping pong effect far from the build up pace of real football.
CONTROLS: They illustrate with some examples the absolute lack of depth of the control. As you can't do things manually, CPU decides things for you, and it seems it's again a random process at times. New control introduced for moving the player without the ball seems to add nothing to the game.
GOALKEEPERS: They seem to have evident flaws and let easy balls in, or simply move to the wrongs positions now and again.
ANIMATION: They simply state they are ridiculous for next gen and make the game be a bad cover of PS2 in HD version.
COLLISIONS / BALL PHYSICS: They state they have changed slightly but continue to be below standards in nowaday gaming, specially collisions between players.

They are also critic with the "fantasista" mode (or whatever it's called, right now I can't remember) as the AI is terrible and they won't pass the ball for most of the time. No word about Legends online, though.

They have played hundreds of matches, it seems. The only remarkable positive is the faces from near.

A shame really.

I wasn't going to buy PES this year anyway (for the first time since ISS Pro Evo 2) because FIFA09 offers so much more in every respect. But it's still sad to see PES in such bad shape.

Part of me hopes it really flops in the shops in order that Konami get a wake up call and start investing some real resources into the game to bring it up to scratch. However, if it flops, they might just decide it's not worth investing in any more and slash the funding on a failing game.

FIFA is clearly excelling but it needs serious competition to keep EA driving the genre forward. With no other footy games on the horizon, PES10 needs to start making some real progress and show some major innovation. I don't want a situation where the only footy game is FIFA and EA start getting lazy with it.

A shame really.

I wasn't going to buy PES this year anyway (for the first time since ISS Pro Evo 2) because FIFA09 offers so much more in every respect. But it's still sad to see PES in such bad shape.

Part of me hopes it really flops in the shops in order that Konami get a wake up call and start investing some real resources into the game to bring it up to scratch. However, if it flops, they might just decide it's not worth investing in any more and slash the funding on a failing game.

FIFA is clearly excelling but it needs serious competition to keep EA driving the genre forward. With no other footy games on the horizon, PES10 needs to start making some real progress and show some major innovation. I don't want a situation where the only footy game is FIFA and EA start getting lazy with it.

Very much my thoughts :SAL:

I can agree with the reasoning - the same reasoning that lead our Jack Bauer boycott previous PES's :lol: - but the truth is that I sincerely don't see it happen, either.

I don't think PES will be a flop sales-wise. Many people are still attached to the brand, while others will actually like what PES is offering.

Still, in the remote chance that PES flops, Konami would not slash the funding or whatever... The game - if I remember correctly - is one of the top (if not the top) revenue maker for Konami in what concerns videogames. The game won't flop just because it stays behind FIFA sales-wise. The game will flop only if it stops being one of the top money-makers for KONAMI... And that's a whole - lower - different league.

PES is f'n huge for Konami.

What I would hope is that something is being done on the backstage, in order to move PES forward. But part of me thinks that that's wishful thinking.

I sincerely don't think that FIFA and EA have done great steps from FIFA 08 to FIFA 09, especially in what concerns innovation, but I'm not arguing its advantage in certain areas at least.

It's hard to make such leaps year after year. FIFA 08 got it right for many, and so EA decided to build on it. That's how the formula goes.

I see the jump that FIFA 07 to 08 as a mix of luck and effort, but I really can't see it coming from Konami at the moment.

Konami didn't want to make such a leap, took a different step with PES2008, it didn't go so well, now it's going back and trying to go in a different, more conservative way.

And yes, I don't deny that it would be nice to have such a jump sometime in the future.

I have some thoughts on what's happening there, but I think that PES will keep on moving step by step - be it a good or a bad thing for everyone.

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

forget it...all of it, just shut it down change the name of the forum to FIFA WEB....

Just joking :-pp...these articles are sometimes way off the mark (either direction...too much hype or too much gloom). We'll just have to wait and see with the demo and later the final release.

videogamer.com preview PES 2009
Posted by TheEditor on 23/08/2008 Another positive press preview here, with again similarities being drawn to PES 5

We're delighted with how PES has improved over last year's game. In many ways it feels like a return to the series' roots, with slower gameplay, harder AI and more emphasis on build up play and killer through balls. It still feels very much like PES. This may well disappoint some fans who listened in earnest to 'Seabass's promise of a "complete overhaul". PES 2009 is not series reboot. It looks similar, feels similar (but better) and two games are still never the same - the best thing about the series. "We've stopped worrying about what FIFA's doing and started concentrating on what PES does best," said our smiling Konami representative. Good decision, Konami.

The articel is 100% REAL! ...and it is a scan and not a digital image. On the right sight of the first scan you can see the typical scanning washed-out effect.

46370393no7.jpg

trance said:
You seem to base your conclusion on a false premise, which is that printing dots are always clearly visible. I have a mag in front of me where that is definitely not the case, so it would at least seem totally possible that the PSM mag pictures posted also have this type of printing.

Actually Gianni is correct. You may not see it with the human eye but scanning an image and zooming in 300% + will clearly show the print marks he is talking about.

Zakov, the neat ends is done with "crop" in photoshop. Nothing special about it.

The way to see if its fake would be to see the original and then look for the print marks. But to me it looks "scaled" meaning the scan has been made digital which would lose most/ all of the print marks.

A small comment though, in the messi shirt you can see a "colour" pattern when zooming in which could be an artifact from the print marks.

Although I think the worst element is that some people think it's an obvious fake, and go to great lenghts to check it. The review, as drekkerd summerised, and the score is pretty much on par with what most of us critisise PES for. So now a mag has done the same. No big deal.

"We've stopped worrying about what FIFA's doing and started concentrating on what PES does best," said our smiling Konami representative. Good decision, Konami.

And when this will start to happen???

take it easy, a lot of people who played the game is saying that is a huge improved on it. Just give a chance to konami, we have to wait 1 and a half month to play it, and decide for our own.

In my opinion, i saw better graphics, but for the gameplay i'll have to test it.......just wait for the final version.

I still stay with konami.

AI: terrible again, with positional work being bad. Wings are always desserted again, a lot of traffic in the center of the pitch that makes a ping pong effect far from the build up pace of real football.
CONTROLS: They illustrate with some examples the absolute lack of depth of the control. As you can't do things manually, CPU decides things for you, and it seems it's again a random process at times. New control introduced for moving the player without the ball seems to add nothing to the game.
GOALKEEPERS: They seem to have evident flaws and let easy balls in, or simply move to the wrongs positions now and again.
ANIMATION: They simply state they are ridiculous for next gen and make the game be a bad cover of PS2 in HD version.
COLLISIONS / BALL PHYSICS: They state they have changed slightly but continue to be below standards in nowaday gaming, specially collisions between players.

They are also critic with the "fantasista" mode (or whatever it's called, right now I can't remember) as the AI is terrible and they won't pass the ball for most of the time. No word about Legends online, though.

They have played hundreds of matches, it seems. The only remarkable positive is the faces from near.

Translation of the psm3 article

It doesn't matter to me either way, but I think it's possible that it's a fake.

No new screens, a lousy image of Messi. Also between Messi's legs, the "S" of Septembre appears to be superscripted a touch. So when the creator couldn't see the type because it was white, he had to place a black "S" as close as he could to the correct spot.

Of course, I guess a mag might do the same thing so who knows?

Real, fake, we'll find out within a day or so.

Last edited:

Apart of all other reasons, would Konami give the rights to publish first to a mag that breaks off the game to the ground?

That is true. Usually a mag won't come straight out in a preview and say a game sucks. Mainly for fear they'll never get to preview a game from that company again. Usually they will just say something like "at these early stages, they have some work to do but it's looking promising or blah, blah, blah.."

I doubt they wuld lambaste the game that harshly. It would be more subtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom