PES 2009 General Discussion Etc. (STRICTLY NO FIFA TALK OR POLITICAL CHAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PES 2009 News, Discussion and Rumours

Thanks alot SG Eintracht !

You see at 2:15, Anelka ask to Henry "change the game to the right side" :-...

I checked the vid again an indeed noticed this time some interesting things

crazy jump,no foul givin
time 2:25
vlcsnap47122fw1.png

this one was hard to capture,Tevez has the bal,other forward players in difficul spot to pass left top player preforms a rush back and raises he's hand that he stands free and save to pass the ball
time 2:10
vlcsnap39357ub2.png

this is the one ThomasGoal was talking about,
Anelka points out the bal has to go on the other side(the bal also does not get passed to him,but to the other side:) )

vlcsnap37851ek8.png

Clear shot Anelka rasing he's hand that he is free and wants the ball
time:01:19

vlcsnap43153gz1.png

The thing that realy bothers me are the nonstop feint moves,seems like every turn u make ,the player makes a feint move,that just stupid.
And most players have the same robotic running animation,that looks stupid,but take a look when messi has the bal and prefroms a sprint,its clear that he has he's own special style(small fast steps,and hunched forward with he's shoulders)

Last edited:

Ok guys I wanna give you my very own impressions of the game. Played 2 matches on the 360 and one on the PS3.

First of all I want to say it didnt remind me of PES 5 or 6 it actually reminded me of PES 3 which is a good thing and a bad thing the same time. I´ll come back to that later.

Just a few words aboput the graphics

On Close Ups the graphics are really good and I heard a lot of people say "man that looks nice". But for me graphics in a sports game means animations as well. So when you play the game sure the grass looks better and the player models are improved but on the whole the way the players moved did not seem next gen to me. Actually I was a bit dissapointed that I didnt see a lot of new animations.

Gameplay

Pace

Well as you may have read Konami took a few steps backwards from the arcady PES 2008 and slowed the pace of the game down. Actually it is not just a bit slower it is so much slower that at first I felt it was too slow. But you will get used to that.

Balance Offense vs Defense

Perfectly balanced to me. You COULD get around defedners with messi& ronaldo but it was ALWAYS the better decision to pass the ball. So you really have to build up your offense again. When you hold down the Pressure button, your defenders will actually atack the oipponent with force.

Passing

Not much to complain here, again like in older versions.

Crossing

Well this is what can break a game for me. If crosses are a worse option than passing the ball inside it ruins online play because nobody uses crosses like in real football (this was an issue in Pes6). I cannot say how it will end up in the final game but my impressions were that crosses werent as dangerous as they should be. It had one opportunity were to of my players were in the middle only guarded by two defenders. I was all alone on the wings and crossed the ball inside but I felt like I didnt have the full control over my atackers when the ball was in the air. That was something that PES 2008 did really good. When the abll was in the air you could move your players really easily whereas I found that a step backwards in 09.

Shooting

Much more sensitive shooting bar which leads into a much more difficult system than in 08. When you played the very older PES you know what to expect.

Ball physics

The guys at WENB loved the ball physics and I did not... at all!
When you want to change sides with a long ball the ball is in the air for suuuuuch a long time that every time nearby defenders will interruopt you trapping the ball. Ive never felt that the ball physics in PES feel floaty like in Fifa but this time I really did not feel the weight. I mean in 08 the ball was TOO heavy imo but now it feels not heavy at all. Hope the improve on that till the release.

Overall impression

After thinking about my sessiosn with the game I realized that this game plays no different than older PES Versions. It reminded me a lot of PES 3 because of the shooting and the way the players were stucked to the ground when the ball was in the air. Also the pace and the balance felt like PES 3.

Many people may be satisfied with a HD Version of a game they played for the last five years but this series did not take any steps forward for the last couple of years. I thought they had a perfectly balanced game with PES 5 but all they doing now is trying to rebuild that experience.

Point is I played the same game I was playing five years ago.
Seriously I could not point out one point that was really new compared to PES 3.

So far with my expressions I hope they improve the long balls till release than we will get a decent game. Absolutely nothing new though.

interesting review DaWolf, was there any difference in speed between playing the game on the ps3 and 360?

Another quick question, the build that the WENB and PESFAN guys played had access to the edit mode and club teams, so I reckon its true that in Leipzig, it was a more limited version that KONAMI put out?

Another quick question, the build that the WENB and PESFAN guys played had access to the edit mode and club teams, so I reckon its true that in Leipzig, it was a more limited version that KONAMI put out?

The WENB lads have posted on their forum today slamming Konami for the version that has been filmed in Leipzig being pony compared to the one they and PESFan playtested.

The thing that realy bothers me are the nonstop feint moves,seems like every turn u make ,the player makes a feint move,that just stupid.

And most players have the same robotic running animation,that looks stupid,but take a look when messi has the bal and prefroms a sprint,its clear that he has he's own special style(small fast steps,and hunched forward with he's shoulders)

Messi's running style should be made the default running style for all the players. Like that we could rid ourselves of the baywatch running animation once and for all.

In fact, that's the first editing thing i do, change every single player's running style to one that is more suitable. No one will possess the ugly default running style.

KONAMI change the fucking animations players(running)!!!!This is one of the most importand thing in Game!They worked hardly one year and didn't change this.Lazy,lazy Company!

Javier Zanetti has a different running style as well which can be seen at 1:12 and 1:57..

also much better than the current default one

Last edited:

Thanks DaWolf. You're not alone feeling it looks like PES3. I get that feeling too.

I must admit, I watched the Seabass interview again, and it did seem slightly more positive.

I think instead of judging it against Fifa, I'll just judge it against old PES games. The good thing with that it means I'll be playing PES5 a lot up till release of this.

Thank god there's a proper edit mode, I can't play a game without editing lots of stuff in PES games, dunno why but the first thing I do is head to the edit mode.

Just one thing. I think (and it won't happen, 'cause they'll lose so much money) they should just limit the teams to internationals like the original ISS Pro games. Concentrate on getting all the licenses for those teams, give us some Euro, Asia Cup, Copa America, etc licenses and qualifiers, along with the World Cup and I'd love that.

the feint really make the game looks stupid. every turn you did is a feint. never stoP! i never saw in real life even a player wanna turn to the side will do such feint like what pes2009 did. some more they did it very fast. and they look like a dead zombie when they walking in cut scenes and half/fulltime. this is sucks. the animation is super super the same like older pes before. nothing been improved(except the pitch) :LOL:

I have the same worry, reminds me of the autosidestep for pes5 (that was based on sharp d-pad movement, same as the feints/dribbles for 09). That was shit imo. They really have gone back to pes5 :D

True. It's too effective in Pes5. With right timing you could get past anyone with any player at lea 7/10 times.

After thinking about my sessiosn with the game I realized that this game plays no different than older PES Versions. It reminded me a lot of PES 3 because of the shooting and the way the players were stucked to the ground when the ball was in the air. Also the pace and the balance felt like PES 3.

Point is I played the same game I was playing five years ago. [/b]Seriously I could not point out one point that was really new compared to PES 3.

hope u're right. your post made me really excited. I still play WE7 to these days which I consider, by far, the best football simulation ever produced

Last edited:

Im kinda like your review Dawolf. Im so disapointed with the pes08 that im loving that the pes2009 looks like the old pes03, when pes was the best game ever.

I liked PES 3, but really, that's some years ago, it's so sad to show this as a next-gen game, whatever it means next-gen.

They should delete the word EVOLUTION from this game, really. The only things that would make it advance would be manual controls for shooting, passing, vastly improve AI, and implement a new physics engine, like Euphoria or even develop its own collision system like another football title has done.

Really, without any of those things, they can't go further. It's the depth of the controls and the AI what makes next-gen games to me: Top Spin, NBA 2K9...

So, it's any of THESE things worth it in PES 2009 to those of you who have playtested?

To me, PES resides in the same league as Virtua Tennis, while the next-gen tennis is Top Spin 3.

I liked PES 3, but really, that's some years ago, it's so sad to show this as a next-gen game, whatever it means next-gen.

They should delete the word EVOLUTION from this game, really. The only things that would make it advance would be manual controls for shooting, passing, vastly improve AI, and implement a new physics engine, like Euphoria or even develop its own collision system like another football title has done.

Agree with that completely. PES was an awesome current gen game in its time, easily the best football game by a long margin in that period, so good we spent 100s of hours playing it, editing it, patching it, burning new patched versions at the cost of numerous CD/DVD but we didn't care.

But time moves on, PES it's very easy to see has not moved on, simple fact is after a decade of loyal love and support and fanaticism the fans are not getting what they deserve.

SWOS was an awesome game, had its time and I don't want to play it again, Kick Off was an awesome game, had its time and I don't want to play it again, Player Manager 1/2 was an awesome game, had its time and I don't want to play it again, PES was an awesome game, has it had its time? It seems to me it's getting very close to that point where the only good thing about PES is the memories we hold for it.

Why do most of you bother coming on here to big up Fifa or critisize pes. Im sick to death of the negativity. Why the fuck would i come on here to read about how Fifa is better. Myself and other dont give a flying wank if its better, we just wanna talk about pes. And i do respect that some of you dont like it but its getting a bit boring now listening to everything you find wrong with it. If your gonna slate it then just piss off and go in another thread because its gettin annoying having to filter through your crap trying to find someone who actually wants to talk about its good points.

:applaud::applaud:

Really, without any of those things, they can't go further. It's the depth of the controls and the AI what makes next-gen games to me: Top Spin, NBA 2K9...

So, it's any of THESE things worth it in PES 2009 to those of you who have playtested?

To me, PES resides in the same league as Virtua Tennis, while the next-gen tennis is Top Spin 3.

I agree. Everytime I mention "next gen", people assume Im talking graphics. Graphics are nice and important but not the most important. "Next Gen" to me means primarily physics and innovation to me. It's amazing how good a game can look and play with decent graphics and superb physics. Innovation is key. Implementing new things. Next Gen hardware allows the developers to do way more things. The other footy title just implemented Real Time attributes, where you can download every weekattributes for all players. So, your team in the videogame will reflect how well they performed in real life. That is innovation and forward thinking. There are quite afew developers who have totally taken advantage of next gen. I think GTA4 with it's superb physics engine,etc.

PES 2010. I really can't wait to see what they'll do wih the new engine. I really hope we'll all be here praising it. It may be Konami's grand return.

Agree with that completely. PES was an awesome current gen game in its time, easily the best football game by a long margin in that period, so good we spent 100s of hours playing it, editing it, patching it, burning new patched versions at the cost of numerous CD/DVD but we didn't care.

But time moves on, PES it's very easy to see has not moved on, simple fact is after a decade of loyal love and support and fanaticism the fans are not getting what they deserve.

SWOS was an awesome game, had its time and I don't want to play it again, Kick Off was an awesome game, had its time and I don't want to play it again, Player Manager 1/2 was an awesome game, had its time and I don't want to play it again, PES was an awesome game, has it had its time? It seems to me it's getting very close to that point where the only good thing about PES is the memories we hold for it.

My sentiments exactly.

agree with your post

but you have to bear in mind where we have come from... konami made a few steps in the wrong direction after the masterpiece of PES3/WE7. the magic, the soul of that simulation got lost. Back in the summer of 2003 there was plenty of people logged in on the forum at 3am... this tells you all how the community went crazy with that game. it wasnt like that ever again in the next years

4 years later we got in our hands PES2008. an absolute joke compared to PES3/WE7 and an absolute nightmare for all the people, like me, who were still forced to play a 4-year back version to enjoy the game

so I think we must be very pleased if we are going back to the roots. it means konami has recognised its mistakes and there is hope for the future. the revolution, the real next-gen simluation will come in 12-24 months. but, at least, we now (apparently, havent played the game yet) have the right starting point

Cheers DaWolf.
The fact that you thought it perhaps too slow has me baffled but excited, as it looks very fast on the videos.
My prayers have been answered regarding defending being more balanced as well.
The fact that it is being compared to PES3/PES5 is a positive, PES2009 won't be identical to PES3/PES5, just similar in style/pace.
That's good enough for me to play until PES2010.

well yea as i said many people wil be happy to have a next gen pes that plays like the old ones. but for me personally and especially when i look at fifa, thats not eonugh to get me excited.

I agree with you gsvelto, I think many here had a lot higher expectations for this years title...which is a little out of place. Konami going back to their roots by all means is not a bad thing, and can be a stepping stone in the right direction. I agree that the animations need updating, but the gameplay itself is still superb and for me still above the competition. Fifa can make big strides, but I have played many titles from EA: NCAA, MADDEN, NBA, etc....and they all have one thing in common glitches, AI cheats, and overall feeling that you don't have complete control. PES on the other hand seems more independent and more reliant on the attributes of each player (maybe a bit disproportionate in past titles , Adriano PES 6 anyone?) which would lead to variety in each game in single & multiplayer matches.

I agree with you gsvelto, I think many here had a lot higher expectations for this years title...which is a little out of place. Konami going back to their roots by all means is not a bad thing, and can be a stepping stone in the right direction. I agree that the animations need updating, but the gameplay itself is still superb and for me still above the competition. Fifa can make big strides, but I have played many titles from EA: NCAA, MADDEN, NBA, etc....and they all have one thing in common glitches, AI cheats, and overall feeling that you don't have complete control. PES on the other hand seems more independent and more reliant on the attributes of each player (maybe a bit disproportionate in past titles , Adriano PES 6 anyone?) which would lead to variety in each game in single & multiplayer matches.

It seems like most people who have played and seen videos of Fifa 2009 and PES 2009 think Fifa 2009 is better than PES 2009. Gameplaywise. I have just seen tons of videos from both and you can tell alot by a video. You can tell physics, animations, ball physics. To me it's apparent that Fifa looks as if it plays much better than PES this time around. And IMO, Konami looking back to previous PES's for inspiration says one thing. They are totally lost and have no direction. I'm sorry but if a game maker looks back, it's not a positive thing. It is all too apparent that there's trouble in the PES camp. Whether be production budget, inadequate team, just npot caring because they have won PES players eternal support no matter what they put out, something is not right.

And this whole EA thing. I beg to differ. Traditionally EA has put out very inferior games, imo. I always look at them as the McDonalds of game making. Quantity over quality. This has changed recently. Fifa 07 was abysmal and half finished but it was anew game engine and at least you saw promise. Fifa 08 was miles and miles better than 07. In one year alot was accomplished. And now Fifa 09 looks miles better than 08 so far. Not only gameplaywise but feature wise, innovationwise. Now take alook at NHL 08! If any have played it you will totally agree that it wipes the floor with NHL 2K! That is shocking! Shocking! Why has EA stepped it up? Cause they fear competition? Hell no! No matter how bad EA titles have been, the sports titles, they always manage to outsell the competition. Year after year. So why are they making better games all of a sudden? I'd like to believe because someone or some people at EA have pride in what they do and listen to the community (which they totally do). Either that, or it's just a fluke that they are producing great games. Now, if Dead Space ends up being a smash hit, excellent game then you know EA sold their souls to the devil. Perhaps it's partly due to new leadership at EA as well?

For the first time in years, I am actually very excited about a footy game. I am glad there are 2 major companies making footy games. I think one pushes the other. Eventually Konami will have no choice but to go all out and come up with something big. And I sure hope they read posts like this, on threads like this. It may pain some of you (the ones that will support any PES game regardless of anything, blindly) that we post like this but believe me it may prove to be beneficial in the long run if they ever listen to the community.

As for PES 2010, Id love to think it will be great but there are always issues with the new game engines. Since everything has to be built from scratch it will be extremely hard to have a fully smooth finished product that first year. It's a work in progress. If PES 2010 shows promise, I forecast PES 2012 to be extraordinary. This is just an educated guess of course

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom