PES 2009 General Discussion Etc. (STRICTLY NO FIFA TALK OR POLITICAL CHAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PES 2009 News, Discussion and Rumours

will this even matter with the editing options available?

prob not but the reactions im reading so far dont fill me with confidence, its not looking good guys, and all this bullshit about dont expect a revolution this year but just an evolution, thats bullshit! im sorry but they should have given us a brilliant game this year, im so sick and tired of the "next year it will be awesome" line, im fed up with it, pisses me off that i used to be in love with pro evo and hated fifa, now its the other way around but i really miss those pes days when the game was soooooooooo addictive! its all gone now! i know the game isnt out and we havent even seen a video but its not looking good thats for sure

Some people on here are just babies. Stop with the broken record already. Bored the shit out of me. Pretty obvious you can see the difference between this year and last year with WENB. Last years the minute they saw it they were disappointed and wanted to go back home. This year, look at their face, you can tell. Unless you're a fucking retard who just loves to rant and spout over and over the same negativity no matter what.

Don't judge a book by its cover, anyone?

I can't believe people are already starting to give up, to bitch and moan, to attack WENB already, it's like 1pm on day one of GC FFS!

prob not but the reactions im reading so far dont fill me with confidence, its not looking good guys, and all this bullshit about dont expect a revolution this year but just an evolution, thats bullshit! im sorry but they should have given us a brilliant game this year, im so sick and tired of the "next year it will be awesome" line, im fed up with it, pisses me off that i used to be in love with pro evo and hated fifa, now its the other way around but i really miss those pes days when the game was soooooooooo addictive! its all gone now! i know the game isnt out and we havent even seen a video but its not looking good thats for sure
Go make one.

Adam's view from WENB

A reassuring smile was etched onto Suff’s face once he started playing PES 2009. I’d just asked him about the gameplay, initially concerned by the aesthetics. I knew from his reaction the game was in a safe place, finally rediscovering what made PES so special over an amazing amount of years – GAMEPLAY.

We sat down after signing the NDA’s and Suff decided to start off with a one player match. Selecting Liverpool (surprise) he started the game. At first I was deflated with the look of the game. A quick glance told me it looks like a sharpened up PES 2008, with cleaned up animations and decent player models. Sure the textures have been enhanced (grass looks lovely now by the way), but still, it was comparable to its predecessor. Soon though, I could see differences in the way the ball moved, and how considered the pace was. I was happy to see the wide cam had been pulled back a touch, showing more of the pitch. Then the little animations started to emerge. You could see tussling, and players calling for the ball when in space. Dribbling looks unique to certain players, as does running. Bit by bit the game started to come alive. Until…the final whistle. Now it was my turn.

Selecting Italy VS France I dove straight into the match. Instant impact! The game is slower. It’s more realistic. It’s familiar…It’s PES5?!?! That was my entire thought process when going through the first few minutes of playing the game.

After spending so much time on PES 2008 before this playtest, PES 2009 is such an advancement from it. Like all great PES’s of the past, though, it’s something you don’t realise after a quick look.

First of all I want to talk about the best thing about PES 2009. The ball physics. It’s just breathtaking. From the balloon affect that was in PES 2008, Konami have flipped it on its head. It has more weight to it, and feels more disconnected from the players than ever before. The way it travels on the ground and how it bounces, it will have you in awe when you experience it.

The second triumph in the game is the rain. Not only does it affect the way the ball travels and reacts, it also looks absolutely incredible. One of the guys we spoke to quite rightly likened it to a mid-week champions league game, with the fantastic lighting effects complimenting this theory. It was something both me and Suff were taken back by, and once we discovered it we didn’t change the weather option!

And with these additions, especially the ball physics, the game feels completely different from last year. What it doesn’t do, though, is feel different from years past.

With PES 2008 receiving so much criticism, Konami have decided to stop the rot they are in with next-gen development. Similar to how Square Soft would release Final Fantasy VII if they were struggling, Konami have gone back to one of their most appreciated versions to find some solid ground. And it’s no bad thing, if you were a fan of PES5 or 6.

The main PES5 comparisons come from 2009’s slow, conservative pace. The players have more weight to them, and this coupled with the more realistic ball physics firmly puts the PES series back into simulation territory. The PES6 elements come from the ability to beat players a little bit easier than in PES5. It’s never unrealistic in that PES 2008 way though, gameplay throughout remains realistic.

This return to form isn’t just because they slowed down the gameplay. It also down to the little additions and touches that made the fans fall in love with the series in the first place. Attention to detail on the kits and player representation has gone up a notch once again. The textures on the new Italian for example were exemplary, along with stitching and emblem resolution. The quality of all the kits has certainly left that low res look behind, and entered the HD era with aplomb.

As for the players, no game has done a better job than PES 2009 in making them look and feel like their real life counterparts. Cristiano Ronaldo is a perfect example. First of all his face is amazingly accurate, along with his heavily gelled hairstyle. Then there is his player model, 100% in proportion with a unique running and dribbling style. Finally you have his trademark free kick and penalty. All these things won’t affect the gameplay, but typifies what PES used to do better than anyone else. Something they’d forgotten about last year.

Another thing that will get fans excited is the edit mode. Unfortunately we can’t talk about it extensively until August 28th, which coincides with the next PSM3 issue. Sporting PES 2009 as its cover title, expect the guys over there to have a huge feature detailing just what you can do with the edit mode.

Aside from the graphics details and instant gameplay impressions, I was pleased to discover many of my major gripes of PES 2008 had been totally sorted. Things like tackling and dribbling had thankfully been rebalanced, with the pendulum favouring decent defenders rather than tricky dribblers. Goal Keepers had also been improved, consistently parrying shots away from danger rather than into their own nets. The AI was also more intelligent and intense when playing on the higher difficulty levels. They certainly press you quicker, and in my time there I scored around 4 goals in 6 matches against them.

All this and I haven’t spoken about manual passing yet. With the trick moves now linked to the standard directional controls, the right analogue stick is exclusively used for manual passing. Unlike previous versions, you now don’t have to click in the stick to gain power – it’s a simple case of pointing where you want it to go. At first it seemed a bit weird, but once we spent a little time with it we produced some excellent through balls that wouldn’t of been possible without manual passing. Certainly a feature that will have it benefits, but I’m unsure if it will have people switching.

Rounding up this experience, I want to quickly take everyone through the new game modes and additions. The obvious winner here is the ‘new’ become a legend mode, where you control a single player and take him through his entire career. Playing the first match which is a youth game, the whole idea is to get spotted by a scout. After completing the game you are presented with 3 teams to go to. We went for the lowest ranked team to try and get a game, but still had to sit on the bench for a while and be content with training matches against the 1st team. I have to say me and Suff had loads of fun with this mode, and can see it being a huge success. Together with this mode, you have Legends where you can take your created player online. Would’ve been really cool to see how it works, but as you might if guessed online wasn’t working in this build.

Unfortunately there’s nothing much to comment on regarding the Master League. The only new addition is the way the transfer system works, and how you can see decisions quicker. There is an underlying element of player happiness/loyalty or discontent that can affect the outcome also, but that’s something we didn’t have the opportunity to dabble in further.

So overall my take on PES 2009 is very positive. It’s something for all the fans of PES, and in many ways Konami have used their ‘get out of jail’ card. A version that is dedicated in bringing back everything the fans have loved in the past and giving it a new a shiny coating. It’s a move I welcome, and has me anticipating release more than ever before. I guess that’s the problem with playing it so early, you have longer to wait until release L

Wait with assurance, you WILL love this game.

I can't believe people are already starting to give up, to bitch and moan, to attack WENB already, it's like 1pm on day one of GC FFS!

but didnt the same happen last year? why do u think it will be differnt this year? i dont want to be dissapointed again

worries me that they say that dont judge it by the videos, u have to play it to appreciate it

Common fucking sense? Ofcourse you will have to play a game to appreciate it. Else how would you know? A good game to someone may be a shit game to another.

actually Konami try to take clubs by clubs Spanish licences, and konami got already the licences for the bigests clubs ;)

Guys Stop defendding konami like your one seabass staff !! its shity no improvemnts !! every year they remove some thing i think in 2010 the game gonna be called GoalFantasyStrom !!

Stop with the WENB bashing for the love of God. Some of you are just so childish. They were happy with the game. But it isnt' a huge jump. There is no magical new engine. Like they said its an evolution not a revolution. All they said was they played a later build with more teams and BAL. In regards to Leipzig videos they said you have to play it to feel the difference, so just wait for the demo. If its still crap, simple dont buy it!

It would be nice to have some constructive criticism in here.... WENB offer what they believe, doesn't mean its fact. It wont be a shit game for everyone, so accept it!

The gameplay sounds great.

No one's defending Konami. But attacking a group of people happy about playtesting and commenting on a game is just childish. You don't like the game and want to start flame wars then stay out this fucking thread.

i wait for this game !! and back then in PS2 life time i said to my self damn im waitting for the nextgen i dont think konami can deal with the ps2 anymore coz its the limits of the console and now with all the nextgen support they give us shit with the same money we pay to WE6FE and what suprise me that the PES2008 PC ver its only 2.7 GB Lool !!

Who knows. There probably will be some shakey cam footage from the event itself. Whether that be an official website or a fan, i dont know

Stop with the WENB bashing for the love of God. Some of you are just so childish. They were happy with the game. But it isnt' a huge jump. There is no magical new engine. Like they said its an evolution not a revolution.

If its like PES5, it's not even an evolution

Adam’s Perspective: PES 2009 Play Test

A reassuring smile was etched onto Suff’s face once he started playing PES 2009. I’d just asked him about the gameplay, initially concerned by the aesthetics. I knew from his reaction the game was in a safe place, finally rediscovering what made PES so special over an amazing amount of years – GAMEPLAY.

We sat down after signing the NDA’s and Suff decided to start off with a one player match. Selecting Liverpool (surprise) he started the game. At first I was deflated with the look of the game. A quick glance told me it looks like a sharpened up PES 2008, with cleaned up animations and decent player models. Sure the textures have been enhanced (grass looks lovely now by the way), but still, it was comparable to its predecessor. Soon though, I could see differences in the way the ball moved, and how considered the pace was. I was happy to see the wide cam had been pulled back a touch, showing more of the pitch. Then the little animations started to emerge. You could see tussling, and players calling for the ball when in space. Dribbling looks unique to certain players, as does running. Bit by bit the game started to come alive. Until…the final whistle. Now it was my turn.

Selecting Italy VS France I dove straight into the match. Instant impact! The game is slower. It’s more realistic. It’s familiar…It’s PES5?!?! That was my entire thought process when going through the first few minutes of playing the game.

After spending so much time on PES 2008 before this playtest, PES 2009 is such an advancement from it. Like all great PES’s of the past, though, it’s something you don’t realise after a quick look.

First of all I want to talk about the best thing about PES 2009. The ball physics. It’s just breathtaking. From the balloon affect that was in PES 2008, Konami have flipped it on its head. It has more weight to it, and feels more disconnected from the players than ever before. The way it travels on the ground and how it bounces, it will have you in awe when you experience it.

The second triumph in the game is the rain. Not only does it affect the way the ball travels and reacts, it also looks absolutely incredible. One of the guys we spoke to quite rightly likened it to a mid-week champions league game, with the fantastic lighting effects complimenting this theory. It was something both me and Suff were taken back by, and once we discovered it we didn’t change the weather option!

And with these additions, especially the ball physics, the game feels completely different from last year. What it doesn’t do, though, is feel different from years past.

With PES 2008 receiving so much criticism, Konami have decided to stop the rot they are in with next-gen development. Similar to how Square Soft would release Final Fantasy VII if they were struggling, Konami have gone back to one of their most appreciated versions to find some solid ground. And it’s no bad thing, if you were a fan of PES5 or 6.

The main PES5 comparisons come from 2009’s slow, conservative pace. The players have more weight to them, and this coupled with the more realistic ball physics firmly puts the PES series back into simulation territory. The PES6 elements come from the ability to beat players a little bit easier than in PES5. It’s never unrealistic in that PES 2008 way though, gameplay throughout remains realistic.

This return to form isn’t just because they slowed down the gameplay. It also down to the little additions and touches that made the fans fall in love with the series in the first place. Attention to detail on the kits and player representation has gone up a notch once again. The textures on the new Italian for example were exemplary, along with stitching and emblem resolution. The quality of all the kits has certainly left that low res look behind, and entered the HD era with aplomb.

As for the players, no game has done a better job than PES 2009 in making them look and feel like their real life counterparts. Cristiano Ronaldo is a perfect example. First of all his face is amazingly accurate, along with his heavily gelled hairstyle. Then there is his player model, 100% in proportion with a unique running and dribbling style. Finally you have his trademark free kick and penalty. All these things won’t affect the gameplay, but typifies what PES used to do better than anyone else. Something they’d forgotten about last year.

Another thing that will get fans excited is the edit mode. Unfortunately we can’t talk about it extensively until August 28th, which coincides with the next PSM3 issue. Sporting PES 2009 as its cover title, expect the guys over there to have a huge feature detailing just what you can do with the edit mode.

Aside from the graphics details and instant gameplay impressions, I was pleased to discover many of my major gripes of PES 2008 had been totally sorted. Things like tackling and dribbling had thankfully been rebalanced, with the pendulum favouring decent defenders rather than tricky dribblers. Goal Keepers had also been improved, consistently parrying shots away from danger rather than into their own nets. The AI was also more intelligent and intense when playing on the higher difficulty levels. They certainly press you quicker, and in my time there I scored around 4 goals in 6 matches against them.

All this and I haven’t spoken about manual passing yet. With the trick moves now linked to the standard directional controls, the right analogue stick is exclusively used for manual passing. Unlike previous versions, you now don’t have to click in the stick to gain power – it’s a simple case of pointing where you want it to go. At first it seemed a bit weird, but once we spent a little time with it we produced some excellent through balls that wouldn’t of been possible without manual passing. Certainly a feature that will have it benefits, but I’m unsure if it will have people switching.

Rounding up this experience, I want to quickly take everyone through the new game modes and additions. The obvious winner here is the ‘new’ become a legend mode, where you control a single player and take him through his entire career. Playing the first match which is a youth game, the whole idea is to get spotted by a scout. After completing the game you are presented with 3 teams to go to. We went for the lowest ranked team to try and get a game, but still had to sit on the bench for a while and be content with training matches against the 1st team. I have to say me and Suff had loads of fun with this mode, and can see it being a huge success. Together with this mode, you have Legends where you can take your created player online. Would’ve been really cool to see how it works, but as you might if guessed online wasn’t working in this build.

Unfortunately there’s nothing much to comment on regarding the Master League. The only new addition is the way the transfer system works, and how you can see decisions quicker. There is an underlying element of player happiness/loyalty or discontent that can affect the outcome also, but that’s something we didn’t have the opportunity to dabble in further.

So overall my take on PES 2009 is very positive. It’s something for all the fans of PES, and in many ways Konami have used their ‘get out of jail’ card. A version that is dedicated in bringing back everything the fans have loved in the past and giving it a new a shiny coating. It’s a move I welcome, and has me anticipating release more than ever before. I guess that’s the problem with playing it so early, you have longer to wait until release L

Wait with assurance, you WILL love this game

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/news/adams-perspective-pes-2009-play-test/

actually Konami try to take clubs by clubs Spanish licences, and konami got already the licences for the bigests clubs ;)

Real, Barca, Villareal, Sevilla, Valencia, Atletico Madrid, Espanyol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom