PES 2009 General Discussion Etc. (STRICTLY NO FIFA TALK OR POLITICAL CHAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PES 2009 News, Discussion and Rumours

And yet it's still the best game available to us.

But it's not.

All subjective and IMO of course but; The engine doesn't offer the best game graphically, doesn't offer the best game in terms of performance, doesn't offer the best game in terms of football simulation, sure it offers the best game on a current gen console, by a large margin, but that's about it.

Yes there are things that current gen PES does better than next gen Fifa, same as there are things that Amiga Player Manager 1/2 and Amiga Sensible Soccer does better than next gen PES/Fifa, but I for one don't want to play a current gen game anymore nor do I want to play a "classic" game such as Player Manager/SWOS, they had their time and place, football simulation for me has moved on from that and that's what I as a gamer and consumer want from Konami's PES, for them to move onto the next level, IMO PES2008 hasn't done that because it's too entrenched into its Current Gen roots, it's too early to judge completely but (very) early indicators are the PES2009 hasn't moved much further.

Yes, yes I know you like to get your smug stick out and attack anyone who has the audacity to start forming opinions and thoughts based on early screenshots, early trailers, but that's what they are released for and what discussion forums are here for, yadda, yadda :)

Someone having a dodgy connection is one. A dodgy console or a weak PC are 2 others. See, this game is easy and really doesn't add anything but that has long since stopped being the name of the game.

Doesn't really explain offline slowdown on the consoles.

I do get a small snicker out of how PES can be decimated for all of it's flaws and yet it is selling more units than ever and will continue to do so. If Pro Evo was lacking everything you said it was then I'd play Fifa, simply because it would tick every single box. Unfortunately Fifa is behind on the gameplay, it just is. It's probably even written in the bible somewhere.

What PES has is the quality to make you feel as if you're playing an actual game of football, it is that engrossing. You think in a footballing manner and it rewards you for it, that is why the game is still about. If Fifa can make the step to make the player feel the same disconnect then that's it, the end, fat lady singing, etc.

Also forming opinions is fine, writing the game off isn't. Complaining about bad news when, comparatively, there's only been good news is also bleh.

There are rational people who like Pro Evo, by the bys.

Doesn't really explain offline slowdown on the consoles.

Well a dodgy console does but that's beside the point.

I remember PES starting to bump up against the technological wall with, I think, PES3.

The correct answer however is growing pains, hence why we've heard that the slow down has been eradicated.

Last edited:

There's nothing. They've already said that they are bound by the nda related to the Leipzig date.

We will either get something unofficial or nothing at all before we get everything at once. It's going to be a lovely wait.

One interesting thing though is that PES2009 seems to be adding modes and taking the game in the right direction, yet it has faced endless criticism over belonging to a stagnating series, bound to go into meltdown before slowly turn into an anime RPG where you control a unicorn named Seabass.

A badger would be better imo.

I remember PES starting to bump up against the technological wall with, I think, PES3.

PES3 was a new engine written by Konami, replacing the older (previous gen one) used for pes1 and 2 from renderware.

So they havent had the same engine for a decade, as you seem to make out.

edit: something's happening.

Delete this then

Last edited:

Tidied things up a bit by getting rid of 55 replies over the last few pages. Please keep it on-topic, guys. It's either this or we'll have to close this thread for good until the official presentation in Leipzig. Thanks!

No. The point was that they didn't need a new engine every year, something that Konami have proven over the past decade.

But it's not a point though really, after all who/which game are you comparing it to? There is none, it's a ridiculously shorterm/expensive exercise and no games company bothers.

So seeing as the argument of not making a new engine every year is irrelevant as nobody does it, what is your point? That Konami should stick to their same engine and continue to tweak it for another generation?

FIFA's "new" engine (07), even with it's flaws (for some more then others), is really starting to show Konami up. Yet your point seems to be that because it was great for the ps2 generation they should stick to it.

PES/Fifa banter thread

I thought we had one, the fanboy fight thread. Do we still have that?

And the thread begins its decent into a slow and painful death as the lack of news gives an excuse to have a go at each other...............pointless.................just get on with discuusing the game.

Great isn't it?! If you don't take it seriously, its seriously amusing.

Agree with Badger 100%. I don't want a new engine for PES. I feel that Konami have one that even EA would love to have.

Also, least I remind a few folks that Seabass has more knowledge about developing a footy game in his ball sack than you all have in your brainbox acquired from browsing the internet.

Last edited:

Agree with Badger 100%I don't want a new engine for PES. I feel that Konami have one that even EA would love to have.

Also, least I remind a few folks that Seabass has more knowledge in his ball sack than you have acquired from browsing the internet.

Agree

If we can have good graphics, more animations, good editing all on a PS2 game engine then I'll be happy.

PES5 is the best footy game I have played.

at the start of we11-8 the intro with the game running muddy kits,untucked shirts great animations. Why can't they do that??

Tidied things up a bit by getting rid of 55 replies over the last few pages. Please keep it on-topic, guys. It's either this or we'll have to close this thread for good until the official presentation in Leipzig. Thanks!

Would'nt be a bad idea to be honest.

But it's not a point though really, after all who/which game are you comparing it to? There is none, it's a ridiculously shorterm/expensive exercise and no games company bothers.

So seeing as the argument of not making a new engine every year is irrelevant as nobody does it, what is your point? That Konami should stick to their same engine and continue to tweak it for another generation?

FIFA's "new" engine (07), even with it's flaws (for some more then others), is really starting to show Konami up. Yet your point seems to be that because it was great for the ps2 generation they should stick to it.

I'm a little discombobulated with the mass deletion but the basic jist is that Konami doesn't need to make a new engine because some people on a forum think they need to. There are too many unknowns, we don't know what the current engine is capable of, nor what Konami intend on doing with it or what they have already done to it. Indeed a new engine entirely could balls things up completely.

For me it's not a case of Konami needing a new engine as it is fixing the other miscellaneous problems, most of which have nothing to do with the structure of the engine.

Pro Evo has already reached the promised land, there's no need to make drastic changes, particularly when they're still adapting to next gen. I'd rather have a game that reaches the traditionally high quality than one where the shooting/passing/ball physics/etc. are botched to the point where it hinders the experience.

Last edited:

So Badger your happy with this current engine for good? Even if there comes a stage where FIFA on the PS6 Looks like real football and even the gameplay isn quite far off from the real thing?

Don't think he can answer that. He'd probably be deceased by then.

So Badger your happy with this current engine for good? Even if there comes a stage where FIFA on the PS6 Looks like real football and even the gameplay isn quite far off from the real thing?

Yes.

I have said from the start that even if Pro Evo were to be replaced with a gif that induces epileptic fits that I shall never remove the Pro Evo disc from my knob.

Why yes, it is rather tight.

I agree that Konami don't need to rewrite the PES engine. Some people liked the earth year 2003 and wish to live there forever more, and PES helps them to achieve that warm feeling.

And for those who want to move on, FIFA helps them feel they're in a modern world.

I actually came into this thread for the first time in ages to see if there was any PES2009 news, but of course, there is no news because PES never changes.

Thank you for your opinion!!

Feel free to contribute some more!!

If the game is brilliant then it doesn't matter if the engine is from a Nova.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I do find it somewhat amusing that everyone is slating PES already but nobody has there little hands on it yet.

I could come back into this thread in a weeks time and people will still be hypothisizing.

They didn't?

I think that's what some people have issue with.

They didn't?

I think that's what some people have issue with.

I dont think people would have trouble with this engine if it still contained the good old magic pesfeeling it´s there in pes 2008 to but well hidden behind lagg and strange saves,bouncy rebounds warping players and other stuff to ...
But i mainly think all those things was because it was their first year with the ps3
And now when they had one more year to learn the machine i hope and belive the pesfeeling will shine bright again .
And will lead to many angry wifes and girlfriends but many many happy pesplayers

The Badger said:
Pro Evo has already reached the promised land

:D

You're amazing, I am in awe of your profound amazingness and kneel down before the monitor that transmits the shrine that is Evo-Web Badger Edition.

ps; When is the Best Of being released? Seeing as another page has been deleted.

well it wasn't the same pro evo that i loved

Well the only thing I could put my finger on here was that the bugs just ruined the game for you. If that is the case then 2009 should be a return to form.

I dont think people would have trouble with this engine if it still contained the good old magic pesfeeling it´s there in pes 2008 to but well hidden behind lagg and strange saves,bouncy rebounds warping players and other stuff to ...
But i mainly think all those things was because it was their first year with the ps3
And now when they had one more year to learn the machine i hope and belive the pesfeeling will shine bright again .
And will lead to many angry wifes and girlfriends but many many happy pesplayers

This is exactly what I'm thinking as well. As in, 100%. Unfortunately you can't tell people to wait when they want it now.

:D

You're amazing, I am in awe of your profound amazingness and kneel down before the monitor that transmits the shrine that is Evo-Web Badger Edition.

ps; When is the Best Of being released? Seeing as another page has been deleted.

Honestly I only put that bit it in the hope that it would get picked up on. My reasoning behind it was that there was a point where we had no issues with the gameplay and were hoping for other improvements. Rarely does a game, let alone a sports game, get to the point where it's gameplay is just ungggggg (the sound of pleasure)

Also it's getting hard to compile a best of when my most awesome moments are deleted but it's for the greater good so no worries, capiche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom