PES 2009 General Discussion Etc. (STRICTLY NO FIFA TALK OR POLITICAL CHAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PES 2009 News, Discussion and Rumours

To be fair to Konami though, PES has sold bucketloads with very little development and the continued removal/changing of teams/licenses with little impact on sales.

In other words, the majority of "loyal" PES fans don't mind getting shafted every year and with that will once again feel satisfied this year ;)

Your post makes a saddening amount of sense. :/

"The only teams that everyone uses is Barcelona and Real Madrid anyway."

Over the years i've played ML's with: Deportivo la Coruna, Real Sociedad, Sevilla and Getafe.
In Italy with Palermo, Parma and Atalanta.
France: Sochaux, Lille, Valenciennes
Germany: Wolfsburg

Over the years i've played ML's with: Deportivo la Coruna, Real Sociedad, Sevilla and Getafe.

Don't shoot the messenger! It was a quote from the spanish site. I myself have used Villareal, Atletico Madrid etc..

Konami have added a lot of extra things to the PES series since PES5 (not enough, I'll grant you that)

Konami are only really putting things back in PES that they have taken out over the last couple of years. Apart from the 'be a legend' mode, things have not really moved on much in the series.

out of topic ^_^

pic of a disk for PES2008 (PS3) after one year played

it's cracked by my brother
the reason is (lag and bugs) lol

check the pic ^_^

dsc0001ik3.jpg

dsc0002sv5.jpg

Well done. I had the same feelings of the game. I burned my Pes08 disc and serial. Shit game over.

To be fair to Konami though, PES has sold bucketloads with very little development and the continued removal/changing of teams/licenses with little impact on sales.

In other words, the majority of "loyal" PES fans don't mind getting shafted every year and with that will once again feel satisfied this year ;)

I'd be inclined to think that after last year's appalling effort at making a football game they'll be extremely wary of putting a substandard product out, knowing that the vast majority of PES players from previous years aren't going to get burned again.

I can only speak for myself but I've "loyally" (though not really, because I always enjoyed the games and my loyalty is to myself as a consumer) bought every PS1, PS2 and 360 version of ISSPE and PES, and bought every WE from WE6-10 when I got my PS2 chipped - until last year when I only bought PES2008 on 360.

Due to the debacle last year, I sure as hell won't be buying PES2009 without renting first. Even the PS2 version of PES2008 lost all of the editing options that PES6 on PS2 had. I hate that Konami jumps to Next Gen and removes a ton of stuff just to gradually feed it back in as a new feature later - but at the same time even takes it out of the LAST gen version, where there's no excuse for removing established features.

I think they've lost a LOT of goodwill with "the community" with PES2008's lag and jerkiness and framerate, and after stunts like only having 12 kit templates and only 9 boots, and if this year's game isn't at least a playable, editable HD version of something that feels like footy not an arcade craziness, people may not even bother to look at what they produce the year after.

There are alot of things in pes 2009 that arnt as good as they could be and are pretty average given what the potential is of new consoles and the pc but what in pes 2009 is actually bad and looks dredful to the point you are shaking your fist at the screen. Nothing imo. The worst points you can take from pes 2009 are stuff like the ML hasnt improved that much but it has got that moral thing and for all we know an intergrated CL mode and there arnt alot of annimations but tbh they are average at worst. There isn't,like some of you make out, anything actually bad.

Maybe we wont see Champions League in PES 2009, but a separated one. To show there new engine.

Dont kno if some1 has mentioned this but i would like it if in the new pro when u start a ML wen u have been with a team and won everthing u could move club instead of gettin bored and startin a new 1

Unfortunately, I can guarantee that you are in the 10% of people that use no big clubs in the game. I do like to play with Fiorentina or Palermo at PES, also Patetico de Madrid in Spanish League, but everyone else pick Real Madrid or Barcelona so I dont see a big problem here.

PES never was about licenses. I know it is a bit dissapointing, but honestly I am not bothered about this, IF THE EDIT MODE IS DEEP LIKE IT SHOUDL BE!!!!

i heard alot of peeps saying its not their. Logo editor is their but ive been on loads of threads on other sites which are trying to find a solution to this problem.

Last edited:

I have found some posts that I quite enjoyed.

Your post makes a saddening amount of sense. :/

Both of these coming after this.

I hate when people presume to tell me I will be satisfied. I can think for myself and make my own mind up KONAMI.

Stuff like this is kind of bleh. Anyone praising the game and it's "Uggg I can think for myself." Someone being overly critical and it's "Hey, I think you're on to something."

badger in the house busting chops.

I've heard a week before release numerous times, which doesn't really clear it up.

i heard alot of peeps saying its not their. Logo editor is their but ive been on loads of threads on other sites which are trying to find a solution to this problem.

What do you mean? WENB has mentioned that you can upload JPG pictures from HD to the game.

What do you mean with loads of threads? Allow me to doubt about it since copies of the game to the testers has not been distributed yet. Exactly, which problem you mean? If the logo editor is there, where is the problem then?

The logo option is there dude. There is nothing to worry.

Some news?

Yes, this topic sucks. But those are old news :lol:

Someone being overly critical and it's "Hey, I think you're on to something."

Well, I didn't say I felt he was 100% true with every aspect of his comment.

And, I feel he is somewhat right, considering Seabass himself was making comments about how PES2008 wasn't the game it was supposed to be in his mind, and overall responses to the game being less favorable, maybe to the point where you can claim that the negative responses are part of a larger tendency and not just isolated incidents of disappointed people.

All this while PES2008 sold very well. Meaning people will still buy the game in the same quantities even though reviews and judgments have been worse than previously. Which is the point Tikx5 was making. And I feel that he has a point, thought it's probably not a comment I would make myself, since I don't have any hard data on sales points and such. I mostly base my "agreement" on what I have heard about PES2008 sales being strong even though a overall more negative feel towards the game, which is a conclusion that has been made before, and one I don't see as erroneous given the "sales vs. reception" aspect.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/proevolutionsoccer2008?q=pro evolution soccer 2008

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbx/proevolutionsoccer5?q=pro evolution soccer 5

I'm not saying that the PES fans per se are the sad part of the equation. perhaps it is more the fact that KONAMI are raking in the money even though they are, in my opinion, not giving back the money in game development. An aspect that is, in my humble opinion, sadly lost, considering that us giving or not giving money to companies is pretty much the only power we have to voice our opinions.

Also it wasn't just "anyone praising the game". It was the company making the game, telling me I WILL enjoy it, without knowing me personally, and what I am looking for in a footy game. Obviously it is PR-speak, and my comment wasn't meant as a big FU to marketing. It was a very small FU to marketing (which I explained is a bit of a special dislike for me when it takes the form of baseless claims that they could not possibly know), though the tone of it might've been lost from my brain to text on a forum. :)

Last edited:

I'm not saying that the PES fans per se are the sad part of the equation. perhaps it is more the fact that KONAMI are raking in the money even though they are, in my opinion, not giving back the money in game development.

For me, I think that a lot of the negativity has come from the bugs in PES2008. If the game didn't have the dodgy AI and crappy online mode then we'd have been sorted, unfortunately it wasn't so it gave people license to go negative.

Now for me, I'm seeing a game with definite growing pains, but to say that the producers have sat on their arse for the past few years after some of the games they've produced is a bit befuddling. What I find even more confusing is that every single one of us knows that every Fifa from 96 to 2006 (bar the 98 World Cup game) had a dodgy cash in vibe to it. To say that PES has resorted to the same tactics after 1 bad game isn't going to wash with me, particularly when it's main rival got away with a decade of it.

Now yeah, if this becomes a pattern over the next few years then I'll be right there with you. But right now people are are holding PES up to an unrealistic yardstick that has seemingly snowballed into this bizarro world, where Konami are actively pursuing the money of autistic children whilst Fifa remains the sole bastion of all that is good in the footballing world.

Badger, around PES3/PES4 time I was saying to myself (and to Konami via letters, which were ignored as part of Konami company policy) that the game was the same each year and I was getting fed up of it. I know there were little tweaks, and the little tweaks made all the difference, but it was the same teams (no lower league teams so I can take someone from the bottom to the top), the same competitions (starting off in the PL and ... staying in the PL), the same game modes (the same ML not being a very realistic reflection of reality and no "online leagues" which I wanted for years), the same flaws from the PSone days being kept in because removing them would mean rewriting the entire engine. As far as I'm concerned the game could have been rewritten to use PS2 technology, but wasn't, and even now on the PS3 it's still not been rewritten, so it's still using the same old PSone building blocks. Like building a game out of Lego.

I think that's what the negative people are getting at, I haven't been excited by PES in a long time (but in fairness I don't feel the need to bang on about "God PES2009 looks poor" because I knew I wouldn't be interested as soon as I knew it was using the same engine, other people will look forward to it and they're entitled to). PES5 was PES at it's peak (according to the majority of people I know who still play PES), so to my mind, for PES6 or PES2008, it should have been the time to rewrite, especially considering PES6 was the first on the 360. Now PES2009 isn't a rewrite either and the word is PES2010 will be the rewrite - I really hope so because that is the one thing that will get me excited about PES again.

I know they love football and they're good at what they do but until they make full use of the CPU power they have now, every PES is the same to me.

Last edited:

The reason why it seems samey is because it's a sports game. There's no storyline, or any of that jazz, what you have when you buy it is the same when you snap the disc. Pro Evo was just about as good as it gets on the PS2, they were able to capture the x-factor that makes the game sync with people whom play football. There's only so much you can do when you've effectively reached the top, which is actually contributing to their downfall. Fifa can only improve, infact it still has a good few years before it gets close to PES, so people have been able to track their improvement whilst similarly watching PES bounce against a glass ceiling. Cue stagnation, not listening to the fans and all that, it was all a bit predictable. The next few years will see what is possible when Konami stretch their legs.

Actually, one mode I loved was the scenario mode, something that I'd love to see return, but I guess that was more a staple of the other ISS. Apart from that, there's not many modes I can think of that would radically spruce the game up. Well, haven't Konami done precisely this by going for that Legends mode bit? To me I'm not too fussed, sports games always end up being a circlejerk amongst the best teams, this is something that is nigh on impossible to avoid.

The mythical new engine on the horizon also isn't exactly the be all and end all for me. I don't have a clue what a new engine would be like, they'd have conjure a real rabbit out of the hat after some of the games they've managed to pull out of the current one. I guess the idea is that they re-write everything whilst adding new layers on top? I guess that'd be groovy and all, but I'm finding it tough to try and analyse something tangible when it doesn't exist.

Konami have made a grand total of 1 game for next gen. Much like every other game producer they're still getting to grips with what's what. EA should be infinitely better versed on the complexities of sports games on next gen, particularly when they release a dozen of them a year. Konami cannot match EA when it comes to resources so it stands to reason that you need an appropriate heaping of salt when analysing their ability to get the most out of the technology available.

Last edited:

I would really like if PES 2009 plays really well but for me personally, there is no progress if they are going to base their next gen game on one that they did a few years ago. thats going backward they need to get their shit together and make the effort of making a next gen game.

It's not based on PES5 though, it was a comparison that was meant to highlight that the game was back to it's glory days.

They have not genuinely taken a game from their archive and put it into HD. Just think about it.

Badger, around PES3/PES4 time I was saying to myself (and to Konami via letters, which were ignored as part of Konami company policy) that the game was the same each year and I was getting fed up of it. I know there were little tweaks, and the little tweaks made all the difference, but it was the same teams (no lower league teams so I can take someone from the bottom to the top), the same competitions (starting off in the PL and ... staying in the PL), the same game modes (the same ML not being a very realistic reflection of reality and no "online leagues" which I wanted for years), the same flaws from the PSone days being kept in because removing them would mean rewriting the entire engine. As far as I'm concerned the game could have been rewritten to use PS2 technology, but wasn't, and even now on the PS3 it's still not been rewritten, so it's still using the same old PSone building blocks. Like building a game out of Lego.

I think that's what the negative people are getting at, I haven't been excited by PES in a long time (but in fairness I don't feel the need to bang on about "God PES2009 looks poor" because I knew I wouldn't be interested as soon as I knew it was using the same engine, other people will look forward to it and they're entitled to). PES5 was PES at it's peak (according to the majority of people I know who still play PES), so to my mind, for PES6 or PES2008, it should have been the time to rewrite, especially considering PES6 was the first on the 360. Now PES2009 isn't a rewrite either and the word is PES2010 will be the rewrite - I really hope so because that is the one thing that will get me excited about PES again.

I know they love football and they're good at what they do but until they make full use of the CPU power they have now, every PES is the same to me.

When pes 2008 was released Seabass said that they were working on pes 2009 and it would be completely re-built.Now people are saying pes 2010 will be,Konami are a joke!

I agree with Badgerman when it comes to re-building the engine. It is almost impossible to visualize what a new game engine would look like and quite frankly I would be sceptical to changing the engine at all. What would this, hypothetically, change? Would the same 'PES' feeling, the soul of the game, still be present?

I am interested to hear peoples ideas on just what this new engine would look like and how it would work? If you compare Doom on the PS1 and Killzone 2 on PS3 can you honestly say that Killzone 2 is more than just an upgrade? You see the gun, it bobbles up and down. Monsters come at you from different angles. You shoot them. The walls/backgrounds scroll to conjure the illusion of forward momentum. Of course Killzone 2 uses advanced graphics and AI but the games are the same.

Innovation by the developers is seen in the way in which the games are presented but the very nature of the game makes a complete overhaul impossible. I feel the same way about WE/PES. Of course Konami need to listen to us WE/PES players and remove unnacceptable bugs and slowdown but they do the same thing as all other developers do. The upgrade their existing title at a rate that allows them to make money every year. If they don't make any money from PES, they will stop making it.

They strategically add extras each incarnation to keep players coming back for more. Cynical but good business sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom