PES 2009 General Discussion Etc. (STRICTLY NO FIFA TALK OR POLITICAL CHAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PES 2009 News, Discussion and Rumours

3rd the TEAM to team differences...FIFA has 0...its like PAOK playing same as ManUtd...no matter even if the manager is mind controlling PAOK players they will NEVER defeat MU on equal condition....This is the thing that PeS has it has DIFFERENT player stats that actually play a role..

That is the only reason why still prefer PES to FIFA.
Although i've been playing it for 75% on the PSP and yes i feel cheated because 'm one of those idiots who bught a PS3 only for PES...oh i likd Motorstorm too, but i'm far from an hardcore gamer...

So i bought both FIFA and PES and on the PS3 i played more FIFA in manager mode.
My first Manager Mode i played was with Le Havre in Ligue 2. My first season was hard but i got promotion. Imagine my disappointment when playing Lyon was aseasy/difficult as playing second division clubs...i also bought some players but they all felt the same.
That is why until now i still prefer the "unrealistic" ML to FIFA's "realistic" manger mode. And i put brackets around realistic/unealistic because to me no matter how unrealistic ML's format is, the fact that teamand players feel different still makes it more realistic than FiFA's Manger Mode. If FIFA could implement that, iwoun't hesitate...
But that's only my personal opinion, i can fully understand why people should prefer FIFA...i'm gonna buy both games (again).

Funny. I remember playing PES1 and PES2 on the "next gen" PS2 and being a little miffed that it was exactly like WE 4 with better graphics. I was dissapointed with PES2008 but somehow started to enjoy it when I got my LCD panel and HDMI cable as this got rid of that stuttering on the games graphics. I don't know what PES2009 will be like but Im pretty content with the info thats creeping through. PES6 on the xbox was as next gen as freakin horse carts Microsoft were and are still trying to break into the Japanese market. I'm not defending PES but this for me is their 2nd "next gen" game.

@gerd. I have a theory on that aspect. I think that PES game engine is based on the stats of the players. FIFAs engine though is based on the ball movement. i.e. In PES the player controls the ball while in FIFA the ball controls the player. Am I making any sense at all here?

I'm with ruffneck on this one. Its quite hilarious to read peoples conclusion already, only based on videos, interviews and what other people say. Depending on who you ask, you get a different opinion so who to trust? Personally i'd rather trust someone whos played a more recent build of PES09 rather than those who Konami screwed over by showing an older more crappy demo at Leipzig.

Its all a matter of preference as it always have been. Fifa is getting closer to PES, agreed but one thing is still preventing me to switch to Fifa and thats gameplay, especially bold physics and player-control which IMO Fifa still didnt get right in Fifa08. So the demo of Fifa09 will have to convince - if it still doesnt deliver in gameplay, i'm sticking with PES09. Real simple. And I dont care if Fifa has better graphics, better presentation, more licenses etc.

It reminds me too much of the Tiger Woods games. Just played the demo of TW2009 on the PS3. Exactly the same gameplay as the 2008 version, but just with better graphics and some new features. Same gameplay as it has been the past 4-5 years now.

I'm with ruffneck on this one. Its quite hilarious to read peoples conclusion already, only based on videos, interviews and what other people say. Depending on who you ask, you get a different opinion so who to trust? Personally i'd rather trust someone whos played a more recent build of PES09 rather than those who Konami screwed over by showing an older more crappy demo at Leipzig.

Its all a matter of preference as it always have been. Fifa is getting closer to PES, agreed but one thing is still preventing me to switch to Fifa and thats gameplay, especially bold physics and player-control which IMO Fifa still didnt get right in Fifa08. So the demo of Fifa09 will have to convince - if it still doesnt deliver in gameplay, i'm sticking with PES09. Real simple. And I dont care if Fifa has better graphics, better presentation, more licenses etc.

It reminds me too much of the Tiger Woods games. Just played the demo of TW2009 on the PS3. Exactly the same gameplay as the 2008 version, but just with better graphics and some new features. Same gameplay as it has been the past 4-5 years now.

You simply cant compare TW2009 to FIFa09 !! Tiger Wood games dont need a big change in the Gameplay & no body gonna buy this game !! its for Golf fans only ! and i can be sure that Fifa09 will be wonderful game with a top gameplay method :)

the ball physics in pro evo are laughable don't even go there the fact most shots fly on target is not realistic ball physics.

And it was suff and adam that said pes2009's ball physics were comparable to fifa 09's

that tell me fifa has all the right things and konami has followed suit!

#world soccer,

im just saying it reminds me of TW2009. And the gameplay of TW certainly needs some extra spice + all the still-remaining bugs still hasnt been fixed. Again..its a matter of opinion if gameplay needs updates or not. I could easily say the same about PES 5 and PES 6.

#sweetkilla,

PES2008 ball physics wasnt on top i agree. But if they've gone back to the PES5 and PES6 ball physics as some people claim...then i'm sold :) But lets see about Fifa09 - i will definately play the demo and judge for myself.

#world soccer,

im just saying it reminds me of TW2009. And the gameplay of TW certainly needs some extra spice + all the still-remaining bugs still hasnt been fixed. Again..its a matter of opinion if gameplay needs updates or not. I could easily say the same about PES 5 and PES 6.

#sweetkilla,

PES2008 ball physics wasnt on top i agree. But if they've gone back to the PES5 and PES6 ball physics as some people claim...then i'm sold :) But lets see about Fifa09 - i will definately play the demo and judge for myself.

they are not going back to pes5 ball physics their using real life physics/calculations with pody positioning that effects how the shot ends up ala fifa 08,fifa09,pes2009

Why do i think this is so funny?
Every year day in and day out people say the game is shit.
I remember before pes6 people saying omg what did konami do. only little improvement... and say the game is shit etc and even at the beginning of the game etc... before pes2008 everyone fucking around about pes2008 (wich keeps a fucked up game) and say pes6 was the best game... not everybody said that (some said pes5) but this is just the regular shit :D

*Play it first*

Is the formation setting in newest FIFA series still arcade mode?

I'll still prefer PES 2009 because of much more in-depth formation setting and those settings are quite personal and really reflect on our gameplay.

To be totally fair now, EA have had longer with the next gen consoles than Konami have, if I remember correctly, they released a PES late for the 360 for starters, as they wanted to stick to the PS3, but they was forced to make a 360 version, which in turn was crap, but they haven't had as long to work with the next gen consoles as in depth, which isn't a excuse as they should have concentrated on it straight away.

However, having 5 iterations of a game, isn't just a stat and I don't see how anyone would say that, you should surely know, the more games you bring out, surely the more comfortable you will get, they've had stepping stones where they can see what works well and what hasn't. Where as PES just had yearly things it seems we wait longer to get the same crap etc. Where fifa splits that wait up, so it doesn't feel nearly as bad.

PES 5 was great for a PS2 game, it wasn't even close to being realistic but since FIFA was so unbelievable shit back then it was OK.

Adam and Suff says PES 2009 is pretty much PES 5 with better graphics and that is not enough on this generation of consoles. It's that simple. I wasn't a big fan of FIFA 08 because of the bad response times but it was still better than PES 2008.

It just pisses you off that Konami, with all the fucking money they've got from this series, still doesn't try to take the next step towards realism. This is why it's so good that FIFA has stepped up because this will force Konami to make a better game, even if the fanboys (that are ruining the game for the rest of us) says PES is already a perfect simulation of football.

Edit:
wyblam to be fair, the new custom formation options in FIFA 09 looks more advanced than PES formation settings. It's not only formations but behaviour of the players.

Last edited:

Egypt is now added to the African teams according to Wikipedia and confirmed to be licensed :)

I think in terms of gameplay affected by player stats, I think PES still has the upper hand, the players we control are more affected by the level of stats that they have, and you could tell the difference between a decent player and a horrible player.

But to improve this, I think KONAMI needs to add more stats such as tracking back, etc...
I really get annoyed particularly during kickoff where almost every striker/winger, even those who are known to be lazy arses in reality, track back viciously.

Here's an example, kickoff you try dribbling forward, Van Nistelrooy's there, so you head backwards towards your own half, and Van Nistelrooy's still chasing you to depths of hell. Same with players like C. Ronaldo who are unfamiliar with the term tracking back.

Another thing KONAMI need to add is, improved marking, they should use the height system to good effect, get tall players to mark tall players, here I was playing as Chelsea, defending a corner, Ballack went outside the box, and the 5'6 Makelele and 5'8 Ashley Cole ended up defending the corner against taller players.
Really pissed me off conceding goals like that. :P

Egypt is now added to the African teams according to Wikipedia and confirmed to be licensed :)

Do not trust Wikipedia...

Last week - not sure if it's still in there at the moment - but there was a licensed stadium called "Bin Laden stadium"... :roll:

I'm NOT making this up.

[Edit:] Ok, it wasn't licensed but it was the name that they were putting there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Pro_Evolution_Soccer_2009&oldid=234644826

By the way, this was obviously vandalism, probably by some portuguese kid, because the 3 portuguese stadiums are clearly portuguese mockery names.

Last edited:

This was already mentioned by Adam from WENB a couple of weeks ago during their playtest. Egypt are now included in the list of African teams but its not known if they are licensed.

What I never understood is why Konami never use their J-League license in PES? The more leagues the better I think. Also why dont they bother to add more unlicensed leagues like how the EPL is. For example they could add the Portuguesse League since they have FC Porto, Benfica & Sporting Lisbon licensed. Or even the Argentine and Brazillian League. As long as the edit mode is good why not have these unlicensed leagues. I hope one day that PES has as many leagues and teams as SWOS used to have.

Dont worry mate. Im confident that Egypt will be in the final version since it was spotted in the beta. After all they did win the African Cup of Nations. :)

Don't use Wikipedia for your source of information. It can be a decent site but I would not trust it for a game that isn't even out yet

you are right, I've just seen Wikipedia and Egypt is replaced by Cameroon :(

WHAT?????
Record holding CAF champions (6 times).
2008 CAF Champions.
2006 CAF Champions.
Strongest ranked league in Africa.
Home of the African Club of the Century.
Home of the African Club of the Century runner-up.

... they get replaced by Cameroon? The team Egypt thrashed TWICE in 2008 CAF Championship?

What the HELL IS WRONG WITH KONAMI.

I remember before pes6 people saying omg what did konami do. only little improvement... and say the game is shit etc and even at the beginning of the game etc... before pes2008 everyone fucking around about pes2008 (wich keeps a fucked up game) and say pes6 was the best game... not everybody said that (some said pes5) but this is just the regular shit :D

*Play it first*

+1

Regardless of what people say about PES 2008, I'm still having fun with it. Picked it up really cheap and all other games have been put on hold while I finish my Master League.

Online is very poor though, have yet to complete a match without someone else quitting because of the lag.

I'm really looking forward to PES 2009 and some of that "PES magic".

To be totally fair now, EA have had longer with the next gen consoles than Konami have, if I remember correctly, they released a PES late for the 360 for starters, as they wanted to stick to the PS3, but they was forced to make a 360 version, which in turn was crap, but they haven't had as long to work with the next gen consoles as in depth, which isn't a excuse as they should have concentrated on it straight away.

However, having 5 iterations of a game, isn't just a stat and I don't see how anyone would say that, you should surely know, the more games you bring out, surely the more comfortable you will get, they've had stepping stones where they can see what works well and what hasn't. Where as PES just had yearly things it seems we wait longer to get the same crap etc. Where fifa splits that wait up, so it doesn't feel nearly as bad.

Yeah but simple fact is EA had brand new engine for next gen consoles Konami has not and they should of done imo. They were caught off guard and everyone knows it they didnt expect Fifa to make huge strides and for me they are playing catch up in so many areas Konami but like everything really it comes down to personal preference.

They might have had more time EA but what if Konami done same thing we would be seeing probably stage 3 of tweaked next gen engine now.

Last edited:

*Play it first*

Not sure you adequately showed that the same people both bashed PES6 before playing, and said "PES was best" after playing PES2008. You mention "everyone", but that's not true (I neither bashed PES6 before I played it, nor did I say "PES6 was best" after I played PES2008).

You make alot of generalizations which doesn't help your conclusion. Some people said they felt PES6 was going to be crap before playing it. Some people said they liked PES6 the most after disliking PES2008. Without more details into what individuals said what and when, your argument doesn't hold a lot of water since you've not been able to show that many of the same people expressed both those opinions.

I will agree that having very strong opinions before playing a game might seem a bit premature. However if the game doesn't look anything like real football looks, then playing the game won't make it look any more realistic. Also I haven't really seen anyone complaining about the response times from controller input to on-screen reaction. What I have seen is complaints about the animations, ball physics, controller methods (8-way), etc. All of them complaints that don't necessitate actually playing the game to be valid. Just like I don't need to participate in a Premiership match between Liverpool and Man Utd to be able to say, once the match has ended, whether or not it was a good game.

A more valid complaint would be that the final retail discs haven't hit shops yet, and before they do, it is impossible to know how the version we will have will play. Thus anyone making claims about how it WILL play once released (ie "PES2009 will be shit") is a bit premature, while a more conservative "PES2009 looks like it will be shit" would be a better comment on the situation. For all we know the game COULD be canceled before it is released, and then the game will not play at all, have 0-way passing and have nonexistent AI. So saying the game "will be shit" is far too definitive, since it might not, potentially, even "be" at all.

Last edited:

If the online didnt have lag and you got a healthy amount of points if your oppenant left then online would be quality with just 1v1. Imo pes 2008 was still very fun (mostly online play) and kept me entertained for atleast 5 months. This year though there will be so much to do.

When you turn on your console or whatever and are about to play it, there are gonna be so many options for you. You'll have master league, become a legend, do a cup with some friends, online 1v1, online 2v2, legends mode, exibition with friends or just simply sitting down and editing stuff.

There will so much stuff to do that this game WILL be good. Even if it had last years gameplay in a nutshell this game would be good. All these modes offer something different and you wont get bored quickly. If your getting tired of become a legend mode then there are loads of other things you can still do.

At the very least this game should be fun for atleast 6 months. If anything, there are too many things to do meaning some will never get in depth with 1 aspect of it and you'll just end up skimming along the sufface of the game without really dipping in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom