PES 2009 General Discussion Etc. (STRICTLY NO FIFA TALK OR POLITICAL CHAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PES 2009 News, Discussion and Rumours

Lets hope 1v1 is fixed, im sure it must be, there is no sense in having 2 modes which dont work

is there?

And i must admit there is alot of good news coming out, im certainly more excited than i was a month ago

2v2 was amazing on PES6, I never really bothered with 1v1 because 2v2 was too much fun.

Also hoping that the camera angles are back to the way they were. I'm one of those who think they weren't there last year to cover some things up that weren't up to par, so if everything is smooth running this year, then hopefully the turning camera should return.

If the Champions League stories are indeed true, I don't see how anyone could react negatively towards it. It is the biggest club competition in the world, and its inclusion in a game with a proper editing mode would be nice.

EArly word on gameplay is positive, which is all that really matters.

The Championsleague is already in PES just named the champions cup and nearly all the teams invloved are already fully licensed it adds nothing to a new PES

@ Embrace,

I thought of something the other day, regarding the "pes10 will be pes3 argument( 3 versions in pes will finally make the step)"

You might be wrong, I remember pes1 and 2 being powered by the renderware engine (3rd party, like the unreal one nowedays. I think it was used for donkeyKong on the snes aswell). Anyway, pes3 saw the introduction of Konami's own engine and the pretty huge improvement to the game. I remember playing that the first time and being amazed how loose and distinct the ball felt from the players and what a difference it was from the previous version.

Ok, so now the point; Konami have already stated that this engine (2008 and onwards) would be the base for the nextgen efforts and that they would improve and tweak it ala pes3/4/5/6. Hopefully, knowing Konami, it was pr b&llsh*t and we will see a significant step up in pes10.

Thought it was an interesting detail to the 3rd will be great argument.

@ Embrace,

I thought of something the other day, regarding the "pes10 will be pes3 argument( 3 versions in pes will finally make the step)"

You might be wrong, I remember pes1 and 2 being powered by the renderware engine (3rd party, like the unreal one nowedays. I think it was used for donkeyKong on the snes aswell). Anyway, pes3 saw the introduction of Konami's own engine and the pretty huge improvement to the game. I remember playing that the first time and being amazed how loose and distinct the ball felt from the players and what a difference it was from the previous version.

Ok, so now the point; Konami have already stated that this engine (2008 and onwards) would be the base for the nextgen efforts and that they would improve and tweak it ala pes3/4/5/6. Hopefully, knowing Konami, it was pr b&llsh*t and we will see a significant step up in pes10.

Thought it was an interesting detail to the 3rd will be great argument.

But Pes2008 was NOT using a nwe game engine!!! It was only a graphics engine but the gameplay relies entirely in the old PS2 game engine! And as I stated many times before, it's impossible to make a good solid brand new game engine in a year. Even more impossible taking into account the limit resources Konami put on PES.

If they were working in a new game engine (and the IF in this sentence should be as big as Alaska):
- They would have spread the news already
- The would finish it around next year if they want to offer a polished job

But, seeing as they are basing AGAIN the game in the same old old old game engine and simply tweak some controls, some stats and some animations, I very much doubt they will succeed in making a better game than pes5, to say something.

Why do people expect so much of a game engine that reached it's peak 2 years ago? Why do people ignore what really means a game engine?

Fifa decided to make a new game engine 3 years ago, so now they can live by simply tweaking it, because it's solid and showed with Fifa 08 that the engine has potential. I would prefer PES to be totally revamped, from scratch, because internally that game must be like a spiderweb.

Too many things added / tweaked / removed... I can precisely remember how players were loosing position and AI turning more chaotic gradually in every PES. PES 5 showed some tactical depth (totally ruined by star players like adriano, because the game engine relied too much on stats and not on player skills) but in PES 2008, the position of players is a terrible joke. No order, no logic, maybe the fruit of having ... cough cough... Teamvision in top of a old engine.

Let's talk about controls, they should have revamped controls and allow for MANUAL control. That's the future of football simulation. How come Fifa has been first in this seriously and not PES? What the hell were they thinking about in Konami all these years? I have no doubts that PES 5 or PES 6 with the Fifa manual controls would be the best football game to date. The road to simulation is difficult, it takes into account physics, controls, a lot of advanced AI. Going near to 360º degrees of moving / passing / shooting without feeling the easyness of control... Instead of it, Konami includes a "patch" because now you can move another player when the CPU has the ball...

And when I think about it, Konami already have lost this train and there aren't any news towards this road. So, in PES 2009 I will have only 3 choices of shooting again? Center, Right, Left. And the CPU decides where it goes? Really, compare it with analogue shooting, there's no comparison isn't it?

I'm really waiting for a sign about all this regarding PES 2009, because I've been a great fan of the series and because I firmly believe in competition and having two great football titles is the only and best option to all of us.

So, any FONT of yours, any special CONTACT or somebody can say they have changed at all the game engine for PES 2009 or they plan to in 2010?

Last edited:

I totally agree Drekkard, the engine was the same as pes360 which was a graphical update of pes5/6 ps2. To me its still the same basic engine as years ago.

However there are enough in here that say pes08 was a new engine (I think Konami have even said so) so for arguments sake with regard to the pes10 will be a new engine discussion Ive gone along with it to see what the thoughts are with regard to the point I made about the renderware vs konami engine that happend back then.

I personally believe that Konami won't build the necesarry new engine and that at the end of this generation (when even the most ardent fanboys have conceded the loss) EA will be the clear nr one market leader with Konami having to fight a new contender (TIF, Kingdom,ect) in the next generation.

I really believe they are on their way down, and yes they still sell a bucketload, but I think that the popularity is generational. Ive grown up with pes/iss/we from the snes days and have played each one till 06 (didnt bother with 2008 as the demo gave me a headache with its speed). To me there are quite a few in here that have had the same experience as me and have grown fed up with pes and turned to the new, and very much improved fifa.

I think the present popularity is still very much a "leftover" from the ps2 generation and that gamers getting into it now with the ps3 and 360 as their starter console wont have the same affection and (blind) loyalty to Konami that is now still the case.

You only have to look at the majority of responses from last year and this year (premature but still far more negative then previous years in the ps2 generation) and the common factor is a hope that they will get it right and get back to their old level. Its no longer a case where its "this game is so good, amazing, ect". Its a hope that they can get that level back, and I consider that part of the loyalty / generational popularity I described earlier.

FIFA is getting its merits based on the games quality and improvement, PES is clinging on due to the memories of past games. And for new gamers, and a view to the nextgeneration of consoles/engines, thats not how to continue/build a franchise's succes.

Damn you pes thread, I wasnt going to post in here anymore :(

Last edited:

It's a bit of a shame that PES2008 had bugs in because that pretty much left it open to nonsense about the series being over. The actual gameplay wasn't that bad, it's primarily let down by the keeper AI but apart from that it's not exactly a horror show.

I personally believe that Konami won't build the necesarry new engine and that at the end of this generation (when even the most ardent fanboys have conceded the loss) EA will be the clear nr one market leader with Konami having to fight a new contender (TIF, Kingdom,ect) in the next generation.

This is not going to happen ever.

It doen't hold any weight. Hark back to the PS2 days, Pro Evo pummeled Fifa for 6 years, yet Fifa were able to live off their licenses instead of getting stuck in the doldrums with TIF, Club Football and the like.

It doen't hold any weight. Hark back to the PS2 days, Pro Evo pummeled Fifa for 6 years, yet Fifa were able to live off their licenses instead of getting stuck in the doldrums with TIF, Club Football and the like.

The main difference being that pes has relied solely on gameplay.......and having no decent competitor for it. Times change.

Although reading some posts on here thoughts don't.

Reading his posts I can imagine why

I know, I know :D

Last edited:

But PES has been living off it's reputation for great gameplay for years now, without really pushing the series forward a great deal.

The point is EA are slowly but surely improving the gameplay experience in Fifa. I'm not saying FIFA 09 will be perfect but the Fifa series is coming closer to offering the best all round football game. It has the upper hand in licensing, graphics, sound, presentation and online, and now has a growing reputation for good gampelay.

Where does that leave PES?

Fifa's about giving a better all round experience with non-football stuff and whatnot. Pro Evo is the magic moments that you can't get anywhere else.

People care about gameplay, there's never going to be a point where people opt for a title with inferior gameplay because it has more licenses and funky music. That's why people bought ISSPE on the PS1.

Tnx James,

And with those points, how can pes continu to be succesfull when new gamers make their choice between the two. Pes' main factor for succes over the years was its gameplay, with the difference becoming more and more marginal the rest of the package decides the purchase. That was my point, although as usual it's mostly ignored to state things like;

"It will never happen, pes rules for ever"

the badger said:

the badger said:
People care about gameplay, there's never going to be a point where people opt for a title with inferior gameplay because it has more licenses and funky music.

So which is it?

It was only in the latter installments that pes overtook fifa sales (pes5 onwards I think).

Although I see this discussion going the same way as last years, the conclusion was pes is going arcade, fifa simulation; Buy whichever version of football you prefer. :D

Last edited:

Good morning everyone.

Nice news there, about the online. Good to hear that the 2 vs 2 is back.

@drekkard:

I'd really like to counter argument your argument on the game and graphics engine, because I believe that you have some pretty strong reasoning going on there. However, I'm not sure I got all that you were trying to say, so let me try, ok? :)

You mention that game engine is different than graphics engine. That is true, indeed, no argument about it.

You mention that FIFA rebuilt its game engine for next-gen, which I may agree. I wasn't that knowledgeable in the later iterations of the FIFA series in the PS2.

However, if you state that the game engine and the graphics engine are two worlds apart, why do you state so firmly that Konami has kept the same engine for PES2009 or is keeping the same engine for PES2010? What is your reasoning? I can easily defend the other theory, that Konami is indeed trying to revamp the game engine, while trying to keep the good things from the past.

Why?

First: I'm not sure about the source for this one, but I do know that it has been said earlier in this thread that the shooting has been changed from previous versions, and people looking to shoot like in previous games will be unsuccessful. To be fair, this doesn't mean that it's not "left, right, center", but it's not fair to say that it's just like that. Furthermore, on a personal note, I don't believe that the PES shooting engine is really that limited, but that's, once again, my personal opinion. When I shoot in PES, I aim towards the place I want to put the ball in, I try to pick the right height to give the ball, and it's just like playing football: I don't always hit the place where I aim the ball to, and I'd feel it would be pretty unrealistic if we were back to the FIFA98 days where the ball would go with pinpoint precision towards where I shot, no matter which player it was, which foot he was using, the relative position of the player to the goal, the other players in his surroundings, etc. I mean, most of the time that good strikers in real games shoot the ball wide or to the hands of the keeper, you can't seriously be thinking that they wanted to shoot to where the ball went :) But, once again, I respect your will to have a different shooting scheme.

Second, the german article says a few interesting things about the "game engine" in PES2009.

The players now react faster to your orders and have improved in controlling and handling the ball.

(...)

Positional play and aggressiveness on normal difficulty are already shockingly well developed.

(...)

In PES 2009 the AI recognizes when you want to play a pass and either passes the ball directly or not at all.

(...)

Only too well that you can use the new AI-cleverness for own benefit thanks to the new manual controls.

(...)

Rainy weather has a deep impact on your players anyway: even your star-players make unfamiliar misplays, shots race even more unpredictable towards the keeper and when passing you have to calculate on higher rubbing.

You may argue that it is not a complete new engine, rebuilt from scratch, but you may be trying to make an unreasonable parallel. FIFA had to do it from scratch because their engine was pretty crap, so to say (no offense intended). PES had a good engine, built from the ground up, from the start. Sure, it may not have evolved the way everyone wanted, and it may have had some evolutions that do look like backsteps, but what I mean to ask is: what is it that you want the game engine to have, that cannot be inserted into the current game engine, or change the current game engine to support it? :) Honest, I'm not sure that there's many things that fit that category.

We are talking game engines here - and I really appreciate that you made that distinction, because I'm not sure that 90% of the people that come here ranting about the engine do understand that difference. People look at the pictures and say "Oh no! It's the same engine! PES will rot in the used games bin down at gamestop! Fifa rocks!".

Now, contrary to popular belief, I do believe that the code that Konami maintains is not that much of a spider-web, but just a well-built metropolis, and as such, it suffers from the fact that its engine is already very big.

The truth behind this is that last year - and you can call me a liar because I can't find the source of this argument too - Seabass had been experimenting with 360º movement, and had scrapped it at the time because the AI wasn't ready for it. So he is trying to do something to the game engine. About manual passing and such, I can accept that you'd like it to be completely 360º, but hey, someday maybe we'll get there.

Honestly, I feel I have already typed too much on this discussion. I can see where you're coming from, and I do respect it.

TikTikTikTikTik said:
You only have to look at the majority of responses from last year and this year (premature but still far more negative then previous years in the ps2 generation) and the common factor is a hope that they will get it right and get back to their old level. Its no longer a case where its "this game is so good, amazing, ect". Its a hope that they can get that level back, and I consider that part of the loyalty / generational popularity I described earlier.

I partly agree with this statement, even though their "old level" is just a couple of years old, and to be precise, 2 games away ;) It's as much a case of "no longer being great" as it is "it has been great for 10 years, and this year was a misstep".

On a personal note, last night I booted up PES2008 - I've been playing PES6 for the last weeks - and it feels like a really crippled game. Not exactly "bad" per se, but really, really limited. I had the feeling that they started working on this with a code base between PES4/5, because PES2008 next gen has no bearing whatsoever to PES6, honestly. It's not even a case of it being a "spoiled PES6", honest. Try to play it for yourselves, and "feel" the difference.

My personal take - which is worth as much as a raindrop in a lake? The PSP's first version of PES - PES5 - was a terrible, horrible game. I'm not sure of whether or not they had a different team working on it, but it felt really wrong. Seabass admitted it afterwards, and PES6 came out better...

...I'm hoping that PES2009 will feel much better while controlling the game, and that that's what the german mag is referring to.

On a lighter note,

@TurkMania:

Konami just confirmed for online, not only the spectator mode, but also the steward mode.

While in spectator mode you can insult other spectators and players on field. You will be rated by their reactions on the field, as well as the broken limbs from other spectators.

The steward mode will be a totally new mode for PES2009 - answering to TikTikTik's "no new modes here" - and will have you trying to control mobs and arresting the spectators.

Seabass himself is saying that this is a true next-gen mode.

There's a small picture after the jump.

wFinal_Fight.png

Sorry for messing with your hopes, no news whatsoever on either of those modes yet ;)

Best regards, and have a nice day!

Paulo Tavares

http://www.ps3news.com/General_OffTopic/pro-evolution-soccer-2009-release-details/

Slated for a fall 2008 release Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 combines the attention to detail that has been the series’ hallmark with extensive new additions that are certain to cement the franchise’s reputation as the world’s definitive soccer title for any format.

Known by millions of fans for its superior gameplay and incredible realism, PES 2009 will further bridge the gap between PES and the real thing.

The game has undergone a stunning graphical update to ensure its players look more like their real-life counterparts.

Similarly, all-new options allow users to tailor the game to their own tastes, while new stylish moves, innovative control schemes and key online elements further the realism

Perhaps I should have put myself across better. My point is that the gameplay in Fifa is improving quite steadily in my, and many other PES fan's opinion, to the point where maybe this year it could be better than PES. Personally I thought it was better last year, but that's another discussion entirely.

You're right Badger, FIFA has always been about the all-round experience. However, if that all-round experience includes gameplay then what's the draw with PES? In the next-gen age of gaming I want a great all-round football game that plays, looks and sounds fantastic. I'm just fed up of waiting for Konami to deliver it.

It's a bit of a shame that PES2008 had bugs in because that pretty much left it open to nonsense about the series being over. The actual gameplay wasn't that bad, it's primarily let down by the keeper AI but apart from that it's not exactly a horror show.

TBH I think the gameplay was that bad. Animations were never as realistic as they should be. They posture themselves kinda weirdly, some pass animations were weird since they wouldn't put their foot through the ball properly, so it looked like they were kicking a bomb, trying to put as little force on it as possible.

One animation alone ruined alot for me, and that was that little flick shot if you had the goal to your left or right (90 degrees).
You press shoot, and the player doesn't twist his body and shoot with his laces like any normal player would. Instead he keeps his side to the goal and just like dabs the ball with his broadside, resulting in a floaty-lobby-shitty pass to the goalkeeper. Seriously, it's frustrating as hell.

Also:

- Automatic control shots when you are close to goal. Not good gameplay, Since I can't lace the ball from close range.

- Goalkeeper animations were sometimes left from PES6, IE the overhanded saves that look completely unauthentic and retarded. Ruins the feel of the game when you score a goal and the keeper tries to stretch and do a overhanded save when he could've just stuck his lower hand out and saved it.

- Feet sliding around on ground. Don't know about you, but "good gameplay" to me isn't when players gains an extra meter on my defender just because they don't have to worry about forces like friction and such.

- Bullet longpasses. Seriously, they approved those longpasses in a game. I think it is safe to assume that their definition of football is a bit different from what we all know and love.

What is even more frustrating is that most of these problems weren't a problem in for example PES5. So they decided to add sliding feet, ridiculous goalkeeper animations, shoddy keeper and defender AI, bullet longpasses, etc.

PES2008 is to football what MarioKart is to Formula 1.

It's just not a realistic simulation on any level. Physics are way off (sliding feet, longpasses with more speed than the shots), tactics are poor (defenders run away from ballcarriers), only 8-way control in a football game.

I'm sure some people think that PES2008 is a fun game, and that's their opinion obviously.
But anyone who says it is a realistic depiction of real-life football are not looking very closely.

Just checked the WENB website and they haven't put the german magazine news up. Wonder why that is. I can understand scans being a big no-no but the information itself?

Umm...

Just wanted to hold the optimism a bit.

Even though it makes sense to expect that the 2vs2 is 4 consoles online playing, it wouldn't be inconceivable that it is just 2vs2, 2 consoles (2 players in each).

So that nobody gets hurt or feels terrible, if that ends up happening that way. I want to believe that it's 4 consoles, but at the same time, if I recall correctly, the only 2 vs 2 that Konami had online until now was 2 on each console.

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

You're right Badger, FIFA has always been about the all-round experience. However, if that all-round experience includes gameplay then what's the draw with PES? In the next-gen age of gaming I want a great all-round football game that plays, looks and sounds fantastic. I'm just fed up of waiting for Konami to deliver it.

The draw of PES is that it has the better gameplay, it's as simple as that. I love me some football I really do and it's the closest you can get to mimicking what playing the game is actually like. Having a good football brain just makes the game feel like gold, at times it's like it's reading my mind. When a game synchs up like that then it wins a special place in my heart.

For me, and many others, it is just about the football.

So which is it?

It was only in the latter installments that pes overtook fifa sales (pes5 onwards I think).

This proves my point.

TBH I think the gameplay was that bad. Animations were never as realistic as they should be. They posture themselves kinda weirdly, some pass animations were weird since they wouldn't put their foot through the ball properly, so it looked like they were kicking a bomb, trying to put as little force on it as possible.

The animations didn't really bother me. Then again I'm usually focusing 2 passes ahead so I don't really have a lot of time for sight seeing.

One animation alone ruined alot for me, and that was that little flick shot if you had the goal to your left or right (90 degrees).
You press shoot, and the player doesn't twist his body and shoot with his laces like any normal player would. Instead he keeps his side to the goal and just like dabs the ball with his broadside, resulting in a floaty-lobby-shitty pass to the goalkeeper. Seriously, it's frustrating as hell.

That one annoyed me.

Also:

- Automatic control shots when you are close to goal. Not good gameplay, Since I can't lace the ball from close range.

I only shoot from long distance because I am hardcore.

Perhaps you should man up.

- Goalkeeper animations were sometimes left from PES6, IE the overhanded saves that look completely unauthentic and retarded. Ruins the feel of the game when you score a goal and the keeper tries to stretch and do a overhanded save when he could've just stuck his lower hand out and saved it.

Yeah those keepers were real nutbars

- Feet sliding around on ground. Don't know about you, but "good gameplay" to me isn't when players gains an extra meter on my defender just because they don't have to worry about forces like friction and such.

Honestly I've never actually noticed this. Either it's a very minor problem that people are way over-exaggerating or I'm blind.

- Bullet longpasses. Seriously, they approved those longpasses in a game. I think it is safe to assume that their definition of football is a bit different from what we all know and love.

I do feel sorry for PES here though, people moan about the long passes being too fast so they make them a bit slower, now they're too floaty. The problem is that long passes can be any speed, it's just pretty hard to code that in.

PES2008 is to football what MarioKart is to Formula 1.

potatoes in my garden are to toothpaste, what geraldine ferraro is to the agricultural impact of the famine in ireland.

It's just not a realistic simulation on any level. Physics are way off (sliding feet, longpasses with more speed than the shots), tactics are poor (defenders run away from ballcarriers), only 8-way control in a football game.

For all it's flaws it does a good job of mimicking an actual football game. It's easy to pick on the technological limits and label the game shite but the fact is that it's the best we've got.

I'm sure some people think that PES2008 is a fun game, and that's their opinion obviously.
But anyone who says it is a realistic depiction of real-life football are not looking very closely.

Uh oh.

edit: It's the same argument for most of you really. Playing Pro Evo with a football cap on can be a joy at times, from picking open defences to playing a delightful through ball. It's exactly how you'd expect to do things in an actual game, that's why I love it so.

Last edited:

Funny, that's exactly what I liked in PES from the first version, and what I thought that set it apart from other games. I can shoot the way I want to, and the player will shoot accordingly. If you want him to turn to the goal before shooting, you just have to turn him by yourself.

The fact that, if I was facing towards my own goal, tried to shoot, and the player did not turn around by himself to do a perfect shot has been since the beginning a really nice "simulation" feature that the game has... Unless I'm not visualizing what you're talking about :)

But each one to its own, no hard feelings ;)

Also, I agree with the high passes being terribly fast, but hey, I believe that it will be fixed. PES4 was super fast, PES5 was slow - not slower, slow :) This is all a bit trial and error. Nonetheless, I was hoping that at this day and age they would be able to patch the physics and the AI whenever they wanted.

And while we are ranting, there are two things that completely piss me off in PES:

- Not being able to rotate 360º in free kicks;
- The fact that the players' shooting strength and passing strength is unrelated... They can do a stronger cross that a shot, sometimes. Also, they can shoot this strong, but they can't make a ground pass with enough strength (even on maximum power using the manual pass) to launch a counter attack to a player on the other side of the field.

There, I said it :)

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

Last edited:

The draw of PES is that it has the better gameplay, it's as simple as that. I love me some football I really do and it's the closest you can get to mimicking what playing the game is actually like. Having a good football brain just makes the game feel like gold, at times it's like it's reading my mind. When a game synchs up like that then it wins a special place in my heart.

For me, and many others, it is just about the football.

Will you still favour PES if Fifa is the better game this year? It could happen, you know? You're assuming PES will always be the better game?

Fifa 08 had a much better pace than PES and more life-like animations, but the response times and player individuality were the main problems. It sounds as though both of these issues are being addressed. It will be a close run thing this year.

Jamezinho said:
Will you still favour PES if Fifa is the better game this year? It could happen, you know? You're assuming PES will always be the better game?

Fifa 08 had a much better pace than PES and more life-like animations, but the response times and player individuality were the main problems. It sounds as though both of these issues are being addressed. It will be a close run thing this year.

As are being addressed some of the complains about PES2008. It could happen that FIFA is better - as it could also happen the other way around.

Nonetheless, I will not favour FIFA until there's a quote in the box saying:

Badgerman said:
FIFA is the magic moments that you can't get anywhere else.

;)

Last edited:

I do like the inclusion of new animations. Especially when you spot new ones after a few weeks of playing the game. However, they don't really effect the core gameplay a great deal as long as they are responsive and timely.

Running animations don't effect gameplay either but they don't half annoy me. Watch Messi run in a straight line at full speed on 2008 and he looks stupid. His legs are pumping at 100mph but the top part of his body is just shuffling along strangely. It just ruins the gloss of the game and annoys me.

Well for me personally I think I lucked into Pro Evo. It allows me to play my style of football and for that, I shall love it forever.

Also I'm pretty gosh darn awesome at playing Pro Evo, it's gotten to the point where I am crafting pure nuggets of joy where other people like to watch.

I am Jesus, in other words.

Fifa to me always seems like a regimented exercise that doesn't really have any soul in it. I remember playing my brother a year or so back and we didn't even care who won, it was just something that was happening.

Pro Evo invokes actual football emotions whilst Fifa is just a game to me.

edit:

Nonetheless, I will not favour FIFA until there's a quote in the box saying:

I double checked pretty hard here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom