PES 2009 General Discussion Etc. (STRICTLY NO FIFA TALK OR POLITICAL CHAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PES 2009 News, Discussion and Rumours

When thinking about it, it might be possible that Konami only wanted to prevent FIFA of buying an exclusive deal for the Champions League. That can mean that PES want it for PES 2010.

It might, but I believe it was EA who had it earlier... If EA had wanted to keep it, I believe they would ;)

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

Ask EA they released an entire game based on that license and charged full price.
Trust me that license is a big deal especially at the point of sale.

Yes a full game with that license, that had 90% (guesstimate?) of teams fully licensed and included a number of modes built around the license, including the card sharing mode which actually worked really well and was pretty good fun (despite close minded morons like me castigating it publicly as being some rubbish mode aimed at 12 year olds). The engine it used was also significantly built upon and improved from the previous Fifa. It was worth the money IMO.

Personally I doubt they will release a Champions League game separately and turn it into a European J-League version. To me, it seems as if that they would be stretching themselves a bit too much considering their limited resources.

Personally I doubt they will release a Champions League game separately and turn it into a European J-League version. To me, it seems as if that they would be stretching themselves a bit too much considering their limited resources.
I can see them doing just that, limited resources or not. It may be pressure from Konami for more revenue given the expense of the licence though rather than SB wanting too. In fact it would be nice if given it's Euro comp' and nothing to do with the Asian market, they get a Euro base team to do it instead... ;)):pray:

Well they're already going non-stop. I bet they're even working on PES2010 right now.

Slotting in another game seems a bit excessive when their plate should be full enough as it is.

Yes a full game with that license, that had 90% (guesstimate?) of teams fully licensed and included a number of modes built around the license, including the card sharing mode which actually worked really well and was pretty good fun (despite close minded morons like me castigating it publicly as being some rubbish mode aimed at 12 year olds). The engine it used was also significantly built upon and improved from the previous Fifa. It was worth the money IMO.

Precisely, that's why it's a good acquisition for Konami. It is one of the biggest competitions in the world even here in South Africa it is immensely popular.

Well let's assume that for PES2009 the framerate issues are sorted (Shipping a game that works out of the box should be a games developer’s/publisher’s #1 priority. It clearly wasn’t in the case of PES2008. What does that tell us about how they see their customers? That’s right — as idiots. Any hint of slowdown in PES2009they might as well start including copies of FIFA09 in the same box). Perhaps online is sorted too. That still leaves the arcade-fest style of gameplay. Given how very quite Konami have been about PES2009 it might, and I only say might, be a repeat of what occured last year.

I think most people who were disappointed by the PS3 version of PES2008 regarded it as a temporary blip. A glitch in the Matrix, so to speak. Normal service, surely, would be resumed in season 2008-2009? Yes, that’s how it would go: PES2009 would be a grand effort, and FIFA would slink back to its corner once more. Ha!

I think that every PES fan, myself included, has entertained some version of that comfy scenario. But I don’t think the reality is going to play out that way. At the time of writing there is a lot of information circulating about FIFA09. It’s looking good, it’s fair to say…

FIFA09 anticipation is at fever pitch. My mouth is watering like Niagara Falls. If, after all this, FIFA09 doesn’t turn out to be a truly great next-gen football game, EA’s pre-release propaganda has definitely been the best there has ever been, bar none.

But, you know what, I think it’ll all turn out to be true. I think that EA Canada—the much-maligned producers of all of those dismally bad FIFAs of yesteryear—are finally walking the walk.

I think FIFA09 is going to be the best football game of the next-gen era so far. I don’t think PES2009 will be able to match it. I think Seabass has left himself too much to do in too short a space of time. It will be PES2010 or PES2011 before we see a ‘proper’ Pro Evo on the next-gen consoles—if ever. Somebody at Konami may be surveying the landscape right about now and wondering if they might be better off sticking with the 'pick up and play' arcade market, a la PES2008. And just as economically profitable; at least in the short term.

FIFA as the engrossing simulation; PES as the soulless arcadey goal-fest. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the world has turned completely on its head. And I still haven’t got used to it.

Could we be on the verge of a paradigm shift in football gaming? Or has the shift in fact already happened?

If you’d told me a year ago that right now I’d be looking forward to FIFA09 while almost dreading what Seabass & Co. have in store for us, I’d have probably been literally unable to comprehend that possibility.

Because of the PES-oriented paradigm, of course. That’s what paradigms do: they establish the rules of thought. They define sense and nonsense. A year ago, “FIFA good/PES bad” would have been the most outrageous, laughable nonsense. Today? Not so much.

Still I do hope PES2009 is great and a return to a simulation approach but to be honest I've personally not really seen anything so far to suggest that will be the case. Even WENB on their podcast were far from impressed by the most recent trailer. They also hinted that Konami PR people get angry if PES2008 is dissed and talk about how great the sales were!!! If PES2009 is indeed just to be an updated, non-buggy PES2008 (the Doomsday Scenario…), then we will know the direction the series is heading in - and it will NOT be the right direction in my view.

Until I see a full hands-on preview from several separate sources that all tell me we’ve got a proper PES game on our hands for 2009, I’ll keep my expectations down low. It’s the best thing all round.

OK those are my last thoughts until there is a gameplay video and or significant PES news.

P.S hope that this isn't going to get me banned!

Yes, great post, Terry. I enjoyed it even more when I read it here last Sunday. Tut, tut.

Well they're already going non-stop. I bet they're even working on PES2010 right now.

Slotting in another game seems a bit excessive when their plate should be full enough as it is.

Konami may look at it that they already have the actual game engine, they would just need the front end... I say "just" :LOL:

Anyways I MIGHT be not Greg Downs - how do you know?

Because not-Greg Downs would of hyphenated the not-Greg! You're not not-Greg!

(I'm not him either btw)

I remember the article 'cos I read that blog most days and it used the word paradigm about football games. It's right - we are watching a shift in the powerbase and it's pretty scary. I'm a confirmed PES fanatic and I want PES2009 to be great but after FIFA08 I want a slower more strategic game and I really don't think PES2009 is gonna deliver that.

KONAMI FFS!!! leave the controls alone - focus on getting a game that is 100% complete (ie full edit mode, no frame rate issue, no weird generic goal styles, terrible textures) - please just give us the ps2 game with updated graphics. Thats your core done. then year on year mould and sculpt to truly innovate and become a full next gen product!

Its that easy...

I'm worried. if you dont have an option to switch this control method off - we could be fcuked.

i cant see either fifa09 or pes2009 reaching the levels the old gen pro games reached (ie. high 90's on metacritic)...what a shambles after nearly 2+ years of next gen consoles.

But the PS2 version had players skating and on rails. Surely they need to improve gameplay with proper foot planting and less scripting.

Yes, great post, Terry. I enjoyed it even more when I read it here last Sunday. Tut, tut.

Ahahahahh.

This is pretty perfect.

I mean, I don't want to rub your nose in it, but I challenged you to post something worthwhile and you went to google.

Pff.

Last edited:

We interrupt this regular program to bring you the following public announcement:

Even though I have said that in PES6 you can use semi-fixed, and ask the ball back to your player by double-tapping R2 to get a similar effect to what is being described in the article, I have just tested it extensively in PES2008 on my PS3, and it doesn't work.

This public announcement was brought to you by Paulo Tavares.

On with the regular show now.

placebo said:
Unless all the teams competing in the Champions League are licensed what's the point of acquiring the license?

placebo said:

...well, you just answered your question, didn't you?

The complete list of the teams in this year's CL is here:

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/kind=1/newsid=727025.html

And this is the full list of potential teams there. I'm not aware of the teams that Konami has licensed - I lost track of them a couple of years ago - but I'd say that, out of the likely finalists (clubs who actually go to the group stage), Konami has a guesstimate of 80%+, or am I that wrong?

Asides from that, Konami is pretty aware of the European football competitions - rumour has it that they licensed Zenith, the winner of last year's Uefa Cup? Why wouldn't they be able/willing to license the rest of the not-so-popular teams that end up showing up in the final tournament?

And if EA built modes around the competition, why are you so reluctant to accept that maybe - just maybe - Konami could do the same? They brought us several modes along the years:

- Master League
- International Tournament
- Fantasista (WE)
- World Tour (PS2 and PSP PES 2008)
- Champions Road (Wii)
- Scenario Mode (older PES's)

Why wouldn't they be able of creating a game whose "engine was also significantly built upon and improved from the previous" PES, and as such to be "worth the money", in my opinion?

Also, Konami already does a similar thing in Japan with the WE/JL WE, and in years past, the "Final Evolution" series, which were usually regarded as the best versions...

Those should have been worth the money, right?

Champions League in PES, Champions League in a separate game, no Champions League whatsoever, I don't really care that much. I'm not even saying that I believe that they will do such a thing, honest.

But I do appreciate fairness in comparing and assessing the situations between PES and FIFA, Konami and EA. To me, people are usually innocent until proven guilty.

And even then, I believe in redemption on the following years.

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

Paulo is me if I put the time and effort in to moderate this thread with an eagle eye.

It's easy to string a combo of logic together but 6 years of evo-webbing has melted my brane.

he must have issues when you bask in the glory of copy and paste.................real issues!!!!

To think he sat back and took all the compliments for somebody else's work is very sad..............very sad indeed.

And if EA built modes around the competition, why are you so reluctant to accept that maybe - just maybe - Konami could do the same? They brought us several modes along the years:

I'm not reluctant to accept anything, not sure what gave that idea, I'm simply a disillusioned ML addict who grew tired of the empty promises that kept coming from Konami about "significant improvements" to that mode, if they finally keep their word I'll be more than happy to buy PES again :)

Paulo is me if I put the time and effort in to moderate this thread with an eagle eye.

It's easy to string a combo of logic together but 6 years of evo-webbing has melted my brane.

Haha :lol: Honest, I'm glad your brain is this melted, 'cause this thread would no be as cheerful and as popular if it weren't for you :)

You should have "Drain Bamage" on your signature, though ;)

he must have issues when you bask in the glory of copy and paste.................real issues!!!!

To think he sat back and took all the compliments for somebody else's work is very sad..............very sad indeed.

While it is sad that he took the compliments - or putting it other way, that he didn't credit the real author (unless it's really him ;) ) - he did, nonetheless,provide this thread with a very articulate and thought provoking article about the current state of affairs.

I try to look at it from the glass half full perspective :) Nonetheless, I believe he get the idea, and hopefully from now on we'll see more insightful posts with full credits (*hint* *hint* Terry ;) ).

Placebo said:
I'm not reluctant to accept anything, not sure what gave that idea, I'm simply a disillusioned ML addict who grew tired of the empty promises that kept coming from Konami about "significant improvements" to that mode, if they finally keep their word I'll be more than happy to buy PES again :)

I apologize then. I guess I sort of assumed that was what you were getting at when you questioned the use of Konami acquiring the CL license, and later on defended EA on the same matter. :)

I guess I too would be a disillusioned ML addict, but I haven't finished a whole ML (going to Europe and stuff) in PES since PES5... Real life started cutting into my PES time :| Sigh...

Still, I see them keeping adding stuff to the ML year after year, which is not bad, but doesn't satisfy you and many others...

What I believe you might want is not a revamped Master League, but a whole new mode, such as the Manager one in FIFA, right?

Because, if you think about it, the Master League mode's core essence is, indeed, the things that many criticize of it :) Kelsen, Cellini, Vorlander, all those retired players from the original team, with which you had to get to the top.

The moment you take that off and say "I want to play with real teams, in real tournaments, with real money and detailed transfers..."... Well, then: that's a whole new mode you want in PES, right? ;)

I'm all for that, too. But - even though I'll sound selfish now - such a mode seems that will not happen this year yet... Gladly, though, We'll have the Be a Legend mode, which is what I have been waiting for in a Football game for almost 10 years, so... That will keep me - and many others, hopefully - entertained until such a mode arrives.

If I'm wrong, and there's such a mode, we are all very lucky people :)

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

Ok, to change the subject a bit, you might find this interesting:

On the rumour mill, we might be seeing this ball in PES2009 (credit goes out to ThomasGoal and KAiWAi, from WEarePES.com)

NIKE_BALLON90_SC1478_104_1_120.jpg

I'd really like to know if you want me to bring over rumours that I feel that have some substance. I will always credit them, and I will only cite people that I believe that can be trusted.

I'm doing this because some people miss TG's info.

I know that some people don't like this or have mixed feelings towards the informers of old.

If you feel that this thread should not contain rumours, let me know, and I will not bring them over, no hard feelings.

I just have this fond memory of refreshing the browser every once in a while to see what TG and KAiWAi and other insiders brought to the threads, so I'm trying to give back a bit to the community.

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

I welcome any post from you Paulo. :)

Do you know something about cameras???

Will pes come to camera angle 1-9???

I played ML, on PES6 I think, to the point where my only goal was to see which of my 3 attackers would score the most goals.

After about 7 seasons Brian Laudrup, Rooney and Zico were all around the 400 mark. Laudrup and Rooney were basically all round striker greatness whilst Zico was a god.

He would get the ball and run forever and ever and ever before sticking it in the top corner from his bedroom.

He also scored free kicks with swerve and power and pazazz.

I entered a trance where the only thing that mattered was scoring goals with these 3 players.

I enjoyed it.

There's no information yet about the cameras.

We'll know something about that probably only once people get their hands on - which will be August 20th, the worst case scenario.

There have been no gameplay videos yet, and there's no one that we know who has played the game.

The WENB guys may have the chance to play the game before Leipzig, but it's not granted. You might want to forward your questions to them - or, while we're at it, to someone who is planning on going to Leipzig. When we get closer to the date, we might as well do a wishlist post, for some charitable soul who's willing to spend his hard earned play time to answer all the questions we have :)

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

according to pelluk 2v2 online is minimum in the game

its also on WENB (confirming pelluk)

Konami really need to sort their PR out, all I've heard is good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom