[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

I almost never concede headed goals, or chipped through ball goals, a lot of mine are rebound goals, which I guess could be annoying if I were to analyse them in any great detail but it's football and these things happen so I won't get stressed about it, if I can score more than the opposition most of the time (or at least most of the time when my possession/chance creation says I should) then that's fine with me :)

You play with increased CPU passing error, right? If so, one of the biggest differences I notice is with increased passing error the CPU's crossing ability goes to shit.

Still, on default settings I conceded tons of headed goals in the beginning but it's pretty rare.

I don't just concede them but score loads too. That's the frustrating thing, virtually every goal at both ends seems to be a headed goal.

It's just pissing rme right off at the moment, I mean if I give the ball away in say the 70th minute I probably won't win it back until something like the 75th minute because the COM pointlessly dribbles round in circles, passing in triangles just to waste time. And you can't get close enough because of the defending mechanics, so huge chunks of game time is wasted with the COM doing nothing with the ball. And the number of times I hit the post or bar seems absolutely bizarre.

It's so weird. I've always managed to finish every game I've ever played, I've always ended up mastering each version of PES and winning all there is to win in single player modes, but this, I've played solidly since November and I still lose almost every game. I had a couple of friendlies tonight, both Man City v Swansea, both times I conceded a shitty goal early on and ended up passing sideways most of the game and spending huge chunks of time watching as the COM dribbled in circles keeping the ball from me. I had a few chances, which hit the bar as standard, and lost both games 1-0. I really don't get it.

I don't just concede them but score loads too. That's the frustrating thing, virtually every goal at both ends seems to be a headed goal.

It's just pissing rme right off at the moment, I mean if I give the ball away in say the 70th minute I probably won't win it back until something like the 75th minute because the COM pointlessly dribbles round in circles, passing in triangles just to waste time. And you can't get close enough because of the defending mechanics, so huge chunks of game time is wasted with the COM doing nothing with the ball. And the number of times I hit the post or bar seems absolutely bizarre.

It's so weird. I've always managed to finish every game I've ever played, I've always ended up mastering each version of PES and winning all there is to win in single player modes, but this, I've played solidly since November and I still lose almost every game. I had a couple of friendlies tonight, both Man City v Swansea, both times I conceded a shitty goal early on and ended up passing sideways most of the game and spending huge chunks of time watching as the COM dribbled in circles keeping the ball from me. I had a few chances, which hit the bar as standard, and lost both games 1-0. I really don't get it.

Taking a break worked wonders for me so I fully recommend it, especially since each day you're sounding more... well lets just say I'd rather not hear about EA's FIFA studio being shot up by a disgruntled fan.

But when trying to get the ball back, are you making sure you increase your attack mentality, switching to the high pressure custom tactic, and using the press higher quick tactic? It's very hard to win the ball back quickly if you're not telling your team to play accordingly, though I've certainly had my experiences with the CPU hogging possession when I desperately needed to score.

Selling this game ASAP. Not for me thanks.
-The pitch is ridiculously small
-The game is scripted beyond belief
-Every goal feels the same
-No momentum or inertia (stop fooling yourself)
-The players still feel light
-Daft teammate ai. I am tired of waiting that millisecond I have on the ball for them to make a move

I dont think this game is any different than the previous years on PS3 or Xbox360

-Daft teammate ai. I am tired of waiting that millisecond I have on the ball for them to make a move

I dont think this game is any different than the previous years on PS3 or Xbox360

Exactly how I'm slowly seeing it after playing it a few more days.

I'm playing this now solely against mates in 1v1 competitions and still thoroughly enjoying it. I love the fact it's set up like a league system with 3-4 wins for the trophy before the new season starts again etc.

I've played around 150 games against one mate, I've won over 100 of them, and I think the trophy count is 36-5 in my favour.

I've got a custom 3-3-3-1 formation I've found is superb:

------------------- Neuer

----- Hummels --- Chiellini --- Dante

----- Lahm ------- Sandro ----- Vidal

----- Goetze ---- Gundogan ---- Reus

----------------- Martinez

It's clearly got little width but that depends on the position you deply the outer players. The 3 DM's protect the backline incredibly well and link with the 3 AM's very well indeed. Then a sole striker to feed off their assists.

Exactly how I'm slowly seeing it after playing it a few more days.

It took you guys quite a while to figure this out. The sad thing here is that there is nothing else for you to play, PES is barely playable and FIFA is as frustrating as a footie games can be...Welcome to my world of footie gaming... it sux you gonna hate it! :BOP:

Last edited:
I dunno, the game is just pissing me off right now, I'm gonna leave it for a while. I'm utterly f@@ing sick of conceding goals from headers, over and over and over again. The COM plays really varied in friendly matches, stick it into a competition mode and all you see are headers, again and again and again. I know the cross is coming in, I select a man in the middle, and the game simply makes the attacker out jump you to the ball. I just went out of the League Cup semi final, 2-1 having led 1-0 and dominated the game, only to concede two identikit goals from two solitary attacks, and I'm out of the cup.

I'd probably say of all the goals I've scored and conceded in my first season, the vast majority at both ends have been headers from crosses and it's getting really really boring.

1362514-the_20rock_20brow.jpg

yeah same here - best footy game by far I have ever played (going back to ISS) and all this nonsense of all headed goals and all goals the same , no inertia etc etc gets a bit boring. I can without a doubt say I see a range of goals and not all headed ones on full manual. Also to compare PS4 to last gen is also ridiculous, they are a mile apart in how the game plays. I had the PC version

This game is best online.

Had some really great games and Chelsea are serving me well.

2 promotions in season already.

Fantastic

Surely if you play any game for hours on end it becomes boring?

I play 3 online games a day and that does me perfect.

It ain't perfect but this is laughably ridiculous. Haters are gonna hate I guess.

Would have liked a penalty or free kick before I offloaded it. Has anyone here experienced this phenomenon?

How anyone can think this is the best game ever without a free kick or intelligent off ball movement is crazy. But if you guys are finding happiness thats cool.

Hopefully the guy I sold it to enjoys it as much.

Im having the best time so far with next gen Fifa since the last update. My last 4 matches ive been out-foul'd by the CPU which has made a refreshing change. Also have had 4 penalties (hanballs are turned off so all fouls) so far this season, and im only in Feb!

Awesome game :BOP:

Would have liked a penalty or free kick before I offloaded it. Has anyone here experienced this phenomenon?

How anyone can think this is the best game ever without a free kick or intelligent off ball movement is crazy. But if you guys are finding happiness thats cool.

Hopefully the guy I sold it to enjoys it as much.

Well it's been said many times that fouling isn't this game's strongest feature, but I don't know how you could play this game more than a few times without ever having a free kick. That's just a bit much to believe, unless maybe you're playing on a very low difficulty setting.

Besides, I find it curious that a lack of fouls is that big a deal. I mean good god, there's never been a football game, or sports game for that matter, that gets every aspect perfect. Is fouls really the criteria that's most important? And it's not as if the game isn't physical - there's actually quite a lot of fouling going that just isn't getting called. The refs just kinda suck.

And regards to intelligent off the ball movement, I just have to disagree. If you're not seeing good movement than I'm sorry but you've got be doing something wrong. Is there room for improvement? Obviously. But the variety of attacking possibilities in this game is the best I've seen in a football game.

I've got a long laundry list of issues with this game but how any football fan can't enjoy next gen FIFA is beyond me. This for me surpasses the experiences I've had with any previous FIFA game, or even PES in its PS2 heydays.

I see loads of penalties and loads of free kicks.

This career mode I'm doing has been utterly fucking ridiculous though. I gave in and played some more career mode games today, didn't win a single match, the game has now degenerated into me having at least 60% of the ball! probably 80% of all the efforts on goal, and I lose by the odd goal. The opposition keepers are unbeatable in this. Absolutely unbeatable.

I ended up throwing my pad across the bloody floor in anger, which is most unlike me. I played Everton at home, had 21 shots on goal to 1, lost 1-0. I hit the bar three times, Soldado missed two open goals - one, I charge the power at three quarters to lash the ball in and for some reason he stumbled into the ball and gave it away from three yards out then I aimed into the middle of an empty net, on assisted shooting nonetheless, and it bizarrely went wide. I also missed three one v ones where their keeper saved evey effort, then Everton went up the other end and Defoe, who I sold to them, scored a BYCICLE kick from 25 yards.

You name it, it happens in my career mode. Keepers pulling off amazing saves, defenders blocking on the line, hitting both posts at the same time, charging up shots from yards out and they don't do anything, then the COM goes up the other end and scores some stupidly good goal or a laughably shitty one.

At Norwich, again, I hit the bar twice, their keeper pulled off several ridiculous saves, then they go up the other end and my two defenders collide into each other, the ball riccocets of them both, and runs under my keeper who came rushing out towards them for no apparent reason. In fact, Lloris is terrible in this. He pretty much palms every shot he managed to save towards an opponent. Funny that, as every time I have a shot, their keeper palms the ball straight to his own defender.

Your CM experience with Spurs sounds the same as my Spurs career. It was pretty miserable. Maybe Spurs is cursed in this game.

If you're doing so poorly, I'd imagine your squad has pretty poor morale and form, no? That's what happened to me, especially with morale, and I'm telling you, once you get in a rut with your career it's really hard to get them out of it.

I'd start over if I were you. And maybe go with a better team. At least that's what's worked for me.

It's just pissing rme right off at the moment, I mean if I give the ball away in say the 70th minute I probably won't win it back until something like the 75th minute because the COM pointlessly dribbles round in circles, passing in triangles just to waste time.

You've been Andres Villas Boas'ed, my friend. ;)

Is fouls really the criteria that's most important?

Of course it's vital. It's one of the same reasons I'm not playing PES much either.

I've got a long laundry list of issues with this game but how any football fan can't enjoy next gen FIFA is beyond me.

Well I can't. It's still not my cup of tea even though they've improved a few things a bit.

For the first time I'm not buying a Fifa game. Not because I'm implying it's the worst one, it's only because I've bought it every year and it still isn't what I want it to be. Plus I'm not throwing my money away like I used to; responsibilities etc. ;)

Another thing that absolutely got on my nuts was how the game to forces you to play a style.

You can't play Barca style holding the ball up and trying to dribble and shield the ball is not possible. Couple this with a stagnant AI you are forced to play the com wsnts you to.

Like I said there are numerous other issues I could write a book on them but why waste my time trying to convince people what I find wrong. Nor should you waste your time trying to convince me I am wrong.

Fifa is not for everyone and I doubt it will ever be.

Another thing that absolutely got on my nuts was how the game to forces you to play a style.

You can't play Barca style holding the ball up and trying to dribble and shield the ball is not possible. Couple this with a stagnant AI you are forced to play the com wsnts you to.

Like I said there are numerous other issues I could write a book on them but why waste my time trying to convince people what I find wrong. Nor should you waste your time trying to convince me I am wrong.

Fifa is not for everyone and I doubt it will ever be.

I can broadcast you a game where I am playing on broadcast camera and manual controls, I can hold up, dribble past people.

Plays like real football

I see loads of penalties and loads of free kicks.

This career mode I'm doing has been utterly fucking ridiculous though. I gave in and played some more career mode games today, didn't win a single match, the game has now degenerated into me having at least 60% of the ball! probably 80% of all the efforts on goal, and I lose by the odd goal. The opposition keepers are unbeatable in this. Absolutely unbeatable.

I ended up throwing my pad across the bloody floor in anger, which is most unlike me. I played Everton at home, had 21 shots on goal to 1, lost 1-0. I hit the bar three times, Soldado missed two open goals - one, I charge the power at three quarters to lash the ball in and for some reason he stumbled into the ball and gave it away from three yards out then I aimed into the middle of an empty net, on assisted shooting nonetheless, and it bizarrely went wide. I also missed three one v ones where their keeper saved evey effort, then Everton went up the other end and Defoe, who I sold to them, scored a BYCICLE kick from 25 yards.

You name it, it happens in my career mode. Keepers pulling off amazing saves, defenders blocking on the line, hitting both posts at the same time, charging up shots from yards out and they don't do anything, then the COM goes up the other end and scores some stupidly good goal or a laughably shitty one.

At Norwich, again, I hit the bar twice, their keeper pulled off several ridiculous saves, then they go up the other end and my two defenders collide into each other, the ball riccocets of them both, and runs under my keeper who came rushing out towards them for no apparent reason. In fact, Lloris is terrible in this. He pretty much palms every shot he managed to save towards an opponent. Funny that, as every time I have a shot, their keeper palms the ball straight to his own defender.

You need to stop playing for all our sakes.

Back
Top Bottom