[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

I'm on default sliders, though I did see a tutorial/tips some guy is doing on YouTube and it's a big help, seeing how others people play is the most help really.

Over thing I am going to do though is drastically reduce the injury severity slider, on default in career mode it's totally broken so far. I'm just twelve games into the season and I've had Dawson, Holtby, Sigurdson and Rose all break down during a match with a broken ankle. All but one injury I've had in my career mode has been a broken ankle, in fact.

What videos?

Have you guys who are struggling with defending tried to stay off the run button?

Only run when it's absolutely necessary. All you have to do is try to keep the cpu from making easy passes by positioning yourself correctly like in real life.

You don't see your real life team defenders or midfielders running at the opposition when defending, do you? Just keep them contained until they make a mistake and wait for your moment. ;)

I just wanted to add that it's the part in bold that is flawed with defending in FIFA, at least against the CPU. Contain is probably the best feature in the game for staying with your opponent - on default speed settings against the CPU on higher difficulties it's near impossible without it - but the issue is that contain doesn't allow you to get close enough.

So basically you're stuck with either using contain but not being able to get close enough to tackle, or trying to use a combination sprint and jockey to manually stick with an opponent which is a recipe for getting burned.

Of the options available I find contain to be the most effective against the CPU but not being able to get tight to an opponent can be extremely frustrating, especially when you're playing inferior opposition or chasing a goal.

It's the only real major issue I have with the mechanics of gameplay.

Of the options available I find contain to be the most effective against the CPU but not being able to get tight to an opponent can be extremely frustrating, especially when you're playing inferior opposition or chasing a goal.

It's the only real major issue I have with the mechanics of gameplay.

It's infuriating if you lose the ball in the last ten minutes when you really need a goal, by the time you win it back again over five minutes have sometimes gone by!

Oh and the video I watched was some guy going by the name of Mgh. He posts a video blog about his career modes etc. he also posted a fairly long video explaining how he defends on World Class level. It's a pretty good video. It mostly explains what everyone says here, he takes control of a player off the ball and seems to either chase the ball carrier with R1 by bringing in other players, or interestingly, just letting the AI and tactical set up handle closing the players down while you jockey deep and switch to players near the ball when needed.

YouTube - FIFA 14 PS4: Next Gen DEFENDING Tips! (Live Gameplay Commentary)

I tried it tonight, and had some success. I did win 2-0 against a League 2 side in the cup, narrowly lose 2-1 to Chelsea and then draw 0-0 to Villa and Hull and 1-1 with West Ham. It's actually helped me by not calling other players to pressure the ball carrier with R1 so much as it drags them out of position a lot more.

Last edited:
Question about balls online (seasons).

I thought the ball used was linked to the team like the stadium. So, When home team is Manchester United, the EPL ball is used. Real Madrid, LFP ball etc. Just like single player.

However, I was playing online when the home team was Manchester United, but the ball was the old brown one. Is it changeable?

Hmm. Scripting at it's best. I drew several games in a row and was really enjoying seemingly improving at the game, then I play at home to Newcastle and they come out like they're frickin' 1970's Brazil. Absolutely ludicrous. Half an hour in and I'm 4-0 down. They're running at twice the speed of my players, knocking me off the ball, turning in tight circles and leaving my players for pace alone, backheeling passes, one goal was even a lobbed shot from 25 yards having chested a cross and volleyed the ball before it hit the ground.

That had nothing to do with stats, tactics, anything, the game was boosting itself like crazy.

In fact I'm getting really pissed off at this now. I lowered the injury severity sliders by half, down to 25, and now Adebayor has gone off with another fucking BROKEN ANKLE. THAT'S SIX BROKEN ANKLES IN 14 MATCHES.

In fact I'm getting really pissed off at this now. I lowered the injury severity sliders by half, down to 25, and now Adebayor has gone off with another fucking BROKEN ANKLE. THAT'S SIX BROKEN ANKLES IN 14 MATCHES.

Yeah I agree, the injuries in this game need sorting. Im sick of players going off with a sprained ankle and them being out for 6 weeks!!.....from a sprained ankle!. Ggrrrrr

this game on broadcast camera and full manual controls for me is the best football gaming experience I have played.

you can really see the animations, and the game is so much more forgiving in the level of detail you see.

it must be hard to code for all different camera angles, this camera certainly shows the game off

How's everyone?

One question to all you who own this game. Which version plays and looks better, XBOX1 or PS3?

I'm thinking on going out to buy me a console and FIFA14 along with it.

Currently, i'm a bit hooked on the Android version of FIFA14. Plays really well.

Also, do I need a special HD TV for this game to shine, or will it look just as great on my 6 year old LCD SAMSUNG HDMI 720p/1080i?

I really cant afford another telly.

Hmm. Scripting at it's best. I drew several games in a row and was really enjoying seemingly improving at the game, then I play at home to Newcastle and they come out like they're frickin' 1970's Brazil. Absolutely ludicrous. Half an hour in and I'm 4-0 down. They're running at twice the speed of my players, knocking me off the ball, turning in tight circles and leaving my players for pace alone, backheeling passes, one goal was even a lobbed shot from 25 yards having chested a cross and volleyed the ball before it hit the ground.

That had nothing to do with stats, tactics, anything, the game was boosting itself like crazy.

I had never used it before - felt like cheating - but with this game I've made use of the replay match feature you can get from the catalogue, and I use it for times like this.

For example yesterday I played a match against Man City and was down 5-0 at halftime. It was total bullshit. I didn't even play the entire match, replayed it, and won 3-2.

The difficulty spikes in this year's game are ridiculous.

How's everyone?

One question to all you who own this game. Which version plays and looks better, XBOX1 or PS3?

I'm thinking on going out to buy me a console and FIFA14 along with it.

Currently, i'm a bit hooked on the Android version of FIFA14. Plays really well.

Also, do I need a special HD TV for this game to shine, or will it look just as great on my 6 year old LCD SAMSUNG HDMI 720p/1080i?

I really cant afford another telly.

Next gen FIFA is 1080p, so if you have a tv that's only 720, you're not going to get the best out of it.

I had never used it before - felt like cheating - but with this game I've made use of the replay match feature you can get from the catalogue, and I use it for times like this.

For example yesterday I played a match against Man City and was down 5-0 at halftime. It was total bullshit. I didn't even play the entire match, replayed it, and won 3-2.

The difficulty spikes in this year's game are ridiculous.

Yeah the scripting is actually ludicrous, way more obvious than even PES. It seems that every six or seven games, regardless of the opposition, the game sets out to thrash the shit out of you by really artificial means. It's such a massive shame because in friendly matches the AI plays such a great game, and is tough enough as it is.

I played a series of tough matches that were brilliant, really fair and realistic. Then, I played Liverpool at home, and could immediately tell from kick off what was coming. ALL their players were turning in circles faster than the speed of sound, Suarez was just ludicrous in that regard, several times when running on the ball, my player actually automatically moves away from the ball and gifts it to the opponent, and I swear when chasing a through ball it limited how fast Lennon could sprint so that Toure could catch him up. Oh, and I worked hard to pull the score back to 1-1, before my keeper immediately went to pick the ball up and somehow missed with his hands and tipped the ball, comedy style, with his feet right to Suarez from five yards out.

It's such a shame and totally unnecessary as the AI is good enough on its own without this bullshit ruining things. I guess I'm gonna have to accept it or just learn to restart the game every time I notice it happening. I can usually tell right from kick off, as all their players start chopping and turning on the ball at crazy speeds. Inertia, which EA worked so hard on, totally goes out the window.

I have played nearly 3 seasons and can't say that I have seen that kind of scripting, I am playing with Placebo's sliders on the PS4. There have been games that I have lost 3 or 4 nil but that has been because the other side have been much better than my Rovers side and due to mistakes that I have made being punished.

The sprained ankles are annoying though, currently have 3 players out with the that injury and I would say around 60 percent of my injuries are sprained ankles.

Despite some small niggles, this is the best football game that I have played. Single player is excellent (especially on the pitch) and online against friends is superb.

this game on broadcast camera and full manual controls for me is the best football gaming experience I have played.

you can really see the animations, and the game is so much more forgiving in the level of detail you see.

it must be hard to code for all different camera angles, this camera certainly shows the game off

I agree that the game looks absolutely wonderful in Broadcast camera. I managed to play about 10 games or so in my career before reverting back as I was finding it quite hard to score this way, gutted!.

Ive been off work due to my (5th) knee op and this game bored me to death in career mode. I just find that mode too dull these days. I dont have the time to dedicate to it and find that all the players become dumbed down and makes it too hard. Even on an easier setting.......

so..........

I tried something that Ive never been that much into. Seasons.
Playing this game online is pure joy. Seasons means that you play someone on your level/standard.

Im finding that Im winning 3 on the bounce and then losing 3 on the bounce but have never been beaten by more than 1 goal.

I am LFC fan but have found my online team that suit the way I play. They are Chelsea. I love using them.

I have played nearly 3 seasons and can't say that I have seen that kind of scripting, I am playing with Placebo's sliders on the PS4. There have been games that I have lost 3 or 4 nil but that has been because the other side have been much better than my Rovers side and due to mistakes that I have made being punished.

The sprained ankles are annoying though, currently have 3 players out with the that injury and I would say around 60 percent of my injuries are sprained ankles.

Despite some small niggles, this is the best football game that I have played. Single player is excellent (especially on the pitch) and online against friends is superb.

For the most part it is the best footbsll game I've ever played too, so I'm not all doom and gloom on the game as such, but oh man, on default sliders the games in career mode veer from fair and realistic (just like on friendly matches) to outrageously obvious boosting. I don't know why developers always do this in football game career modes.

When I play friendlies or the majority of career mode, sure, I feel like the goals I concede are either my fault or the product of some really impressive AI. But it throws in these games every now and again where the COM goes batshit crazy. I mean players turning in circles bizarrely fast, controlling and then kicking the ball in one super fast motion, it's like watching them on fast forward. You concede goals because your players simply can't travel as fast as theirs. Then there's my attacking. I've never seen me hit the post so much.

It's just disappointing. Two draws followed up by a shock win over Man Utd, in an even game until the last half an hour where I was really holding on to my 1-0 lead, leaves you happy with the game and excited to play more games. That good feeling goes out the window when you play the next match and you're 4-0 down inside 30 minutes due to insane boosting.

I wouldn't even mind losing 4-0 if the game played realistically in those instances, say they grind you down and outplay you, but every time this happens they come out on kick off absolutely blitzing you with pace and dribbling speed, race into a three or four goal lead inside half and hour, then fall back into their regular mode and see out the rest of the game from there. I can handle. I can handle being rubbish or losing legitimately, but these occasions, every seven or eight games or so, leave you feeling shafted by the game. Thing is, the game in friendly matches for example outplays me some of the time and so simply doesn't need to do it in the first place. EA should have more faith in their own game.

Last edited:
So hello guys i am back from FIFA after a couple of years playing FIFA i finally had enough and the very same thing that made me leave PES for FIFA now pushed me back here , and that is
Handicap/Momentum/Scripting . Pes always had that feel that something was working behind the scenes to keep the realism of the game in check but it was always felt in little doses , nothing over the top , than i began feeling it had a stronger inpact the last years and even posted and had heated discussions over here and other forums about it until i decided to try FIFA , I didnt accept an external element in the game helping me or my opononet back than and went to try FIFA and what a mistake it was , believe me this element is so blatant and so obvious in FIFA nowdays that the game almost plays itself out 90% of the time, and FIFA 14 is the worst case scenario i ever saw. In the Past FIFA didnt use the rubberbending element ( Handicap ) like PES did ( probably thats why in FIFA scorelines were always non realistic unlike PES) but when they began using these last couple of years they never managed it right and they went in heavy with it abusing it for buisness reasons to a point that that game is not a videogame anymore ! it just a program made to trick people into thinking they have some kind of control. I couldnt bear it anymore i just broke the dvd disk . Now im aware about the Heart etc on Pes which is probably something similiar to being handicaped but im really hoping its not as bad as the handicap system on FIFA. I read about it and at least it has some kind of rationality on how it works ( doesnt mean i agree totally with it ). but on FIFA ? oh my i cant even begin to explain . if you check around online and youtube you will fine hundreds of videos about handicap in FIFA and magic 45th and 90th minute goals and we even put up a petitioned protest towards EA ( it explains very well what is goin on over there ) this is the link to the petition for those who are interested ) :

http://www.change.org/petitions/ea-s...y-opponents

Now my biggest fear is that PES will follow FIFA s footsteps to those levels explained into that petition , i wish Konami will have farsight on what will happen with FIFA and dont do the same mistake , Legions of players are not playing FIFA anymore and their number is increasing daily, I wish Konami and all Videogame companies take a lesson on what will happen if EA keep going ahead with this rubbering bending policy and ignoring what the fans of the game really want. For those still confused on why EA does such a thing they will find some answers in that link i posted to that petition but to summerize it i would say that they just dont want you winning most of the time or just losing most of the time, they dont want anyone losing interesting , its a buisness minded aproach making sure the casual gamers keep buying their product, and in all this the hardcore real gamers suffer the most because no matter what your skills , players and tactics you use you will always aprox win 5 and lose 5 out of 10 games and no matter what you do its always like that , People who played FIFA will understand me better. Now as i said earlier i relly hope the system on PES is nowere near as pathethic as its in FIFA . If videogames companies follow this trend the videogame industry has a very short life.

I think its VERY VERY important to point out that the scripting needed to keep things real into a virtual football game is one thing but Handicapping one side or the other corrputing the final result for other reasons its a total different thing.

I want skill to be the most important element when it comes to a sport simulator , as it stands now in FIFA the most important element is Handicap , i really hoping that skill in PES is still relevant to some important degree. please tell me it is anyone.

Yeah the scripting is actually ludicrous, way more obvious than even PES. It seems that every six or seven games, regardless of the opposition, the game sets out to thrash the shit out of you by really artificial means. It's such a massive shame because in friendly matches the AI plays such a great game, and is tough enough as it is.

I played a series of tough matches that were brilliant, really fair and realistic. Then, I played Liverpool at home, and could immediately tell from kick off what was coming. ALL their players were turning in circles faster than the speed of sound, Suarez was just ludicrous in that regard, several times when running on the ball, my player actually automatically moves away from the ball and gifts it to the opponent, and I swear when chasing a through ball it limited how fast Lennon could sprint so that Toure could catch him up. Oh, and I worked hard to pull the score back to 1-1, before my keeper immediately went to pick the ball up and somehow missed with his hands and tipped the ball, comedy style, with his feet right to Suarez from five yards out.

It's such a shame and totally unnecessary as the AI is good enough on its own without this bullshit ruining things. I guess I'm gonna have to accept it or just learn to restart the game every time I notice it happening. I can usually tell right from kick off, as all their players start chopping and turning on the ball at crazy speeds. Inertia, which EA worked so hard on, totally goes out the window.

Well I think it's erroneous to call it scripting. There's quite a few factors involved, like form, morale, the press conferences, home/away advantages, match importance, and CPU strategy. When the dice are all rolled against you, you're just out of luck.

But that doesn't mean it's not manageable or that those games aren't winnable. In my current CM season playing on mostly default sliders (I've began playing with CPU pass error but I've made only a minor adjustment) I've played 28 games, and I've drawn 4 matches and lost only 2. That's on Legendary.

And it swings both ways. Sometimes you get matches where everything seems in your favor. Among my wins are 5-0, 5-1, and two 7-1 wins. In those matches it was the complete opposite of playing against the CPU in its so-called "god" mode - I knew from the get go that I was in for the win.

I agree that these difficulty spikes are a little extreme, and I do think it's a bit unfair how the CPU can be so effective at playing a high press aggressive strategy when we cannot due to the restraints on the defensive system, but you can still learn to manage pretty well even on default sliders, at least to the point where these really bad matches are few and far between. And the more you play and learn and improve, the better you'll get learning how and when to turn the tables on the CPU.

Or you just take everyone's advice and adjust sliders to better suit your ability level, at least as you learn the game.

Last edited:
hi sorry for posting this in here but it seems the most active FIFA thread and I didnt want to clutter up the forum making a new thread.

I just wanted to ask if this laptop specs can play FIFA 14 on high settings with no lag

AMD A4-5000M
WINDOWS 8
4GB RAM
AMD RADEON HD 8330

thanks

If there is no scripting then how come almost every single time the opposition has a shot that my keeper saves, he almost 100% of the time palms the ball right to an attacker who just puts it into the empty net? I mean seriously, that's ridiculous. I mean every single time now, at least in career mode. I played the game tonight and pretty much every goal I ever concede is from a header or a tap in having had a shot palmed right to their one attacker in the box. It's so obviously doing it on purpose.

I was leading away at Man Utd tonight, deservedly so, then they hit me with two identical shitty goals in the space of about five minutes, both via poor shots pathetically palmed out by Lloris, right to the only attacker in the box. Twice. In a matter of moments.

Last edited:
hi sorry for posting this in here but it seems the most active FIFA thread and I didnt want to clutter up the forum making a new thread.

I just wanted to ask if this laptop specs can play FIFA 14 on high settings with no lag

AMD A4-5000M
WINDOWS 8
4GB RAM
AMD RADEON HD 8330

thanks

This is the PC Fifa14 thread: http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71074 Worth trying this site http://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri "Can you RUN it", Fifa14 is on the list.

Fair enough if you can beat the game on Legendary, I can't.

Nobody's saying you should be playing the game on legendary, we're trying to suggest that you should adjust the sliders to match your skill set on the skill level you're playing at, you're playing on World Class but based on what we're hearing from you it's currently too hard for you and the AI is playing an unbalanced game of football against you, with a few tweaks here and there this will be balanced better but it'll still be a challenge, just a fairer challenge. If I played on default sliders on Legendary I'd be getting battered and conceding chipped through ball goals and crossed header goals time and time again.

Past 3 days I'v had nothing but just plain old bad luck with players/goalkeepers with lucky goals conceded. Now I realised why I didn't play FIFA much.

Last edited:
As for sliders, I'm pretty old school. If I play a game I want to beat it the way the developers wanted it to be played. Call me old fashioned but I'd always have a feeling of hamstringing the AI to make it easier if I altered the sliders.

AMD A4-5000M
WINDOWS 8
4GB RAM
AMD RADEON HD 8330

thanks
You could try the demo;

https://www.origin.com/en-gb/store/shop/demos-trials-ANW.html

My laptop can max out FIFA, it really isn't that intensive.

Bear in mind though that it's just a port of the 360/PS3 version so even on highest settings it looks shit, and has the asstastic gameplay of the last-gen versions.

If there is no scripting then how come almost every single time the opposition has a shot that my keeper saves, he almost 100% of the time palms the ball right to an attacker who just puts it into the empty net? I mean seriously, that's ridiculous. I mean every single time now, at least in career mode. I played the game tonight and pretty much every goal I ever concede is from a header or a tap in having had a shot palmed right to their one attacker in the box. It's so obviously doing it on purpose.

I was leading away at Man Utd tonight, deservedly so, then they hit me with two identical shitty goals in the space of about five minutes, both via poor shots pathetically palmed out by Lloris, right to the only attacker in the box. Twice. In a matter of moments.

Apologies if that came off as boasting. That certainly wasn't my intent. I don't consider myself particularly talented at the game, so I was just trying to point out that if I can do it, I think you probably can too with experience and patience.

I almost (and in hindsight I should have) posted the following caveat: I'm doing well on Legendary but I have an amazing Chelsea dream team, with superstars at every position, and all my players are positive form with mostly good to great morale(more on that later). I wouldn't be surprised if in my first fresh CM on Legendary that I don't make it to Christmas.

About the keeper saves turning into easy CPU goals, I have a theory about that. I have experience with those types of goals myself: in my first CM on WC with Spurs I conceded regularly from keeper saves. It was so bad at one point I rage-tweeted EA's FIFA account!

My guess is that these are down to player form, because since that first terrible CM I don't think I've had a single player on poor form, including my keeper, and I've not seen that issue with the regularity that I did with Spurs. Unless it's purely a Spurs/Hugo Lloris thing, I can't imagine what else it is.

Player form IS a bit of an issue - once you're in the negative, especially with, say, the majority of your starters, you're kinda fucked; meanwhile, if you're on a good run of results you'll rarely see a player on poor form. Form can have a MASSIVE impact on the games, and so too I think morale - I'm now much more conscious of keeping my players on good morale if possible. I have no doubt that part of the reason why I'm scoring so much is because most if not all of my team have positive form and morale.

Anyways, that's my guess. I do know EXACTLY what you're talking about because it was going on with me, and it drove me up the bloody wall. But like I said, I haven't seen it since that first terrible season, even in those games where the CPU is in "god" mode.

As for sliders, I'm pretty old school. If I play a game I want to beat it the way the developers wanted it to be played. Call me old fashioned but I'd always have a feeling of hamstringing the AI to make it easier if I altered the sliders.

I get where you're coming from but it's a pretty foolish point of view. The game isn't perfect. There are exploits, flaws, and imbalances. It's pretty darn stupid to not improve the experience if you can, especially if you're not enjoying the game as it is.

And if you're really concerned about not hamstringing the AI to make it easier, why are you playing on WC instead of Legendary? The difficulty setting is nothing but a slider too you know.

Last edited:
I dunno, the game is just pissing me off right now, I'm gonna leave it for a while. I'm utterly f@@ing sick of conceding goals from headers, over and over and over again. The COM plays really varied in friendly matches, stick it into a competition mode and all you see are headers, again and again and again. I know the cross is coming in, I select a man in the middle, and the game simply makes the attacker out jump you to the ball. I just went out of the League Cup semi final, 2-1 having led 1-0 and dominated the game, only to concede two identikit goals from two solitary attacks, and I'm out of the cup.

I'd probably say of all the goals I've scored and conceded in my first season, the vast majority at both ends have been headers from crosses and it's getting really really boring.

I almost never concede headed goals, or chipped through ball goals, a lot of mine are rebound goals, which I guess could be annoying if I were to analyse them in any great detail but it's football and these things happen so I won't get stressed about it, if I can score more than the opposition most of the time (or at least most of the time when my possession/chance creation says I should) then that's fine with me :)

Back
Top Bottom