[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

At risk of sounding like a broken record I really don't see such problems with players not moving, either for my Wednesday team or Sweden, I use the same formation/custom tactics/sliders for both teams.

Have you watched any of the matches I've uploaded to see if the AI (or even me) play the game differently from how you're playing/experiencing it?

Not yet but I'm going to, I agree I must be doing something wrong or else others would be saying the same thing.

On a different note, Career Mode bugs aside (which i havent tried yet) I'm continually impressed by EA's updating of the game. I noticed they'd added latest transfers like Jelavic at Hull without me even noticing and the commentators even discussed how it's his debut. Quite impressive when you consider Konami are remaining silent on long overdue updates, with people wanting to know what on earth is going on. Makes a nice change to not have to wait around for these kinds of things.

I've noticed the chip through ball over the top works every time against us both against CPU and people in clubs.

The defenders are really dumb and let the striker run in behind every time, very annoying.

I don't even see the AI trying it at all against me, very strange.

Maybe it's your sliders 'cause I have to admit, the effectiveness of chip through balls is certainly one of the game's biggest issues. Or rather, I'm not sure that it's the passes that are the problem as much as the backline defending is. Then add in player switching issues and it's a pretty big problem.

Playing against the CPU, I don't see it every game and I'll play quite a few without seeing it at all. It totally depends on the match, so I'm thinking it's tied to the CPU's tactics. For example, I just played Sunderland and they constantly tried long lofted through balls against me. They didn't score off of them because I was always able to recover but it's frustrating how successful they are at making that pass.

I've learned that the trick is that you need to learn to mash sprint as soon as the CPU attempts a lofted pass - any hesitation and you're screwed. Now that I've gotten pretty good at it, I don't concede many goals from lofted through balls like I used to.

Anyways, yeah I think poor defensive AI plus player switching problems do lead to some of the game's biggest issues, like overly effective lofted through passes. I can see why people consider it the biggest issue in the multiplayer game. Likely it's just not that big a deal for us single-players because the CPU doesn't have the same issues defending these passes (no player switching issues) while the CPU also doesn't attempt to spam the exploit in attack like so many dickhead online players.

Last edited:
I'm just shite at the game. I generally don't concede the same goals over and over but I did last night for some reason. I've noticed a pattern with lobbed through balls, it doesn't work against me for ages then I'll randomly play a game where the COM does it repeatedly. Really strange.

My main problem though is getting players to move off the ball, I notice the COM movement is brilliant, it drags me all over the place, but most of the time my players just stand around, it's all very static in the final third. That's will top teams on default tactics, and then when I alter them it doesn't make that much difference. I lost 1-0 against Hull as Chelsea last night three times in a row, they just packed their defence and I couldn't break it down. My only chances came from errors rather than good build up play.

At the end of the day it's all down to me being rubbish with the game though!

It is the way you're playing. Don't take offense, because that's a good thing, since it means better experiences are possible.

Honestly, sometimes if I play this game too much, sometimes I find myself on a shitty run of form, and it's all me. And now that I've moved up to Legendary, any drop in form on my part means conceding goals - sometimes lots - to the CPU.

Regarding a lack of movement when attacking, I do know what you mean. I ran into this problem yesterday. I'm not positive but I think it boils down to playing the game too impatiently, and often times relying on sprint more than I should.

I'm not 100% sure what's going on when I'm playing like crap, but I think these are the keys to my game when I'm kicking ass:

In attack, when I'm playing my best I'm not prioritizing trying to score, rather I'm focusing on retaining possession and moving the ball around the pitch. I find that when you shift your focus from trying to put the ball in the back of the net asap to simply holding onto possession, things open up and some really nice football is possible.

Similarly, in defense I find that I concede rarely when I'm not prioritizing getting the ball back asap but rather focusing on retaining my shape and then closing down the space. Play the space, not the ball, and whatever you do, do not let defenders (especially your CBs!) get pulled out of position. When it comes to defending, less is often more in this game. Play too aggressively and you'll get burned, especially on WC and Legendary, and even more especially on default settings.

Maybe other people are different but those for me I think make the biggest difference in my success and enjoyment.

Last edited:
It is the way you're playing. Don't take offense, because that's a good thing, since it means better experiences are possible.

Honestly, sometimes if I play this game too much, sometimes I find myself on a shitty run of form, and it's all me. And now that I've moved up to Legendary, any drop in form on my part means conceding goals - sometimes lots - to the CPU.

Regarding a lack of movement when attacking, I do know what you mean. I ran into this problem yesterday. I'm not positive but I think it boils down to playing the game too impatiently, and often times relying on sprint more than I should.

I'm not 100% sure what's going on when I'm playing like crap, but I think these are the keys to my game when I'm kicking ass:

In attack, when I'm playing my best I'm not prioritizing trying to score, rather I'm focusing on retaining possession and moving the ball around the pitch. I find that when you shift your focus from trying to put the ball in the back of the net asap to simply holding onto possession, things open up and some really nice football is possible.

Similarly, in defense I find that I concede rarely when I'm not prioritizing getting the ball back asap but rather focusing on retaining my shape and then closing down the space. Play the space, not the ball, and whatever you do, do not let defenders (especially your CBs!) get pulled out of position. When it comes to defending, less is often more in this game. Play too aggressively and you'll get burned, especially on WC and Legendary, and even more especially on default settings.

Maybe other people are different but those for me I think make the biggest difference in my success and enjoyment.

100% agreed.

Iv noticed since the latest patch, the AI performs tricks with skillful players, which is something that didn't stand out for me previously, just takes this game for me on another level and switching seems abit better too, also noticed the ball is more free while dribbling and also am noticing a bigger difference in agility between players which makes individuality stand out abit more, never thought id ever say this but good work EA, I'm glad ea brang out a great game of football cause now konami need to get there fist out of there arse and bring out a great football game, they can't afford excuses this year cause fifa can only get even better from here.

Guys how is player physics on nextgen compared to currentgen?

Cause on CG it's a bit weird. For example it's very difficult to foul an opponent with tackling. Almost can never fall to the ground even if i try a tackling from behind. Something that gets on my nerves. And of course the lack of fouls.

Moreover what about ball physics? It's better than CG or the same?

Hope ignite engine can bring major improvments on gameplay and not only on visuals.

Last edited:
I like it, will never be perfect and I hope we see improvements year on year but I like how making a challenge for the ball, even a header, if mistimed can be a free kick, even a penalty, I've seen occasions where you go for the ball and end up kicking the opponent in the head and it's given as a free kick/penalty :)

I find there are loads of fouls, I think due to the improved physics. I won two penalties in one game earlier today, both of them clear penalties, but were really realistic how they panned out.

Thanks for the advice, no offense taken, I openly admit I'm crap at the game and it's me not playing well enough.

That said, I had a few games today and enjoyed it miles more. You're spot on about defending, I tried selecting either a central defender or midfielder and manually making them hold their position while (mostly) using R1 to bring in others to close down the ball carrier, it worked brilliantly. I still let in a few goals, but nothing like the shed load I was shipping earlier.

Also, I tried laying off sprint almost entirely, and it did make a huge difference. I dunno, I'm not gonna say something has finally clicked with the game, but I did have some really good matches against the COM and scored some cracking goals.

Thanks for the advice, no offense taken, I openly admit I'm crap at the game and it's me not playing well enough.

That said, I had a few games today and enjoyed it miles more. You're spot on about defending, I tried selecting either a central defender or midfielder and manually making them hold their position while (mostly) using R1 to bring in others to close down the ball carrier, it worked brilliantly. I still let in a few goals, but nothing like the shed load I was shipping earlier.

Also, I tried laying off sprint almost entirely, and it did make a huge difference. I dunno, I'm not gonna say something has finally clicked with the game, but I did have some really good matches against the COM and scored some cracking goals.

Add me ShootoUK and we will play some online if you like.

I play manual and dont think Ive ever used a chipped thru ball!

I like it, will never be perfect and I hope we see improvements year on year but I like how making a challenge for the ball, even a header, if mistimed can be a free kick, even a penalty, I've seen occasions where you go for the ball and end up kicking the opponent in the head and it's given as a free kick/penalty :)

I find there are loads of fouls, I think due to the improved physics. I won two penalties in one game earlier today, both of them clear penalties, but were really realistic how they panned out.

Very promising messages!

Cheers.

Add me ShootoUK and we will play some online if you like.

I play manual and dont think Ive ever used a chipped thru ball!

Cool, I never play online but I might give it a go :)

I've fared much better with this recently, some games feel like the COM goes into overdrive but otherwise I'm scoring a lot more.

Well that's a good start to career mode. I started one as Spurs, did okay in the three pre-season friendlies, until Rose goes down with an injury. Broken ankle. I then play the opening match against Palace, Sigurdson goes down with an injury. Broken. Ankle. Again.

I then go on to have 70% of the play over four times the number of efforts on goal, and I lose 3-0 to three identical headers.

Is the broken ankle thing a bug or something? I'm pretty sure in all the friendly games I've played, a lot of my players who had to go off injured said broken ankle too. I noticed that the other day, but I didn't think anything of it as they were friendly matches. Even my injury sliders are set to default, so what's going on?!

Last edited:
Well that's a good start to career mode. I started one as Spurs, did okay in the three pre-season friendlies, until Rose goes down with an injury. Broken ankle. I then play the opening match against Palace, Sigurdson goes down with an injury. Broken. Ankle. Again.

I then go on to have 70% of the play over four times the number of efforts on goal, and I lose 3-0 to three identical headers.

Is the broken ankle thing a bug or something? I'm pretty sure in all the friendly games I've played, a lot of my players who had to go off injured said broken ankle too. I noticed that the other day, but I didn't think anything of it as they were friendly matches. Even my injury sliders are set to default, so what's going on?!

That's just the way injuries are in this game. Inconsistent and unpredictable.

Personally, I like to go with a higher injury rate but a lower severity slider. Right now I'm like at 80/40 or thereabouts. So I see fairly regular injuries - unfortunately I have had three in a single match - but they are typically of the 5-8 day variety with some multi-week ones thrown in the mix.

But the injury systems sucks, plain and simple, so your mileage may vary.

Also, if you're dominating play and getting loads of shots but not scoring, I've found for myself that it's because I'm taking low quality shots. When I'm more patient, play the ball around a bit more, make that extra pass, I score a lot more.

As for defending, if you're playing on default sliders, and I am too, then you're going to concede goals. Defending is a real bitch, but you can get better. For instance I don't concede a huge amount of headers like I did in the beginning. I'm on Legendary difficulty and playing with Chelsea, there's no greater satisfaction in this game than a clean sheet.

Like the sad bastard I am, in preparation for tonight's match, I played a friendly last night as Liverpool v Everton.

I played on World Class (I play as Professional so far as my muscle memory is still working like I'm playing PES2014) and I have to say "wow". The match was a pleasure, the ebb and flow of the game, the different physical attributes of the players, the atmosphere, all lovely stuff.

It's convinced me to move to WC on my career mode too.

That's just the way injuries are in this game. Inconsistent and unpredictable.

Personally, I like to go with a higher injury rate but a lower severity slider. Right now I'm like at 80/40 or thereabouts. So I see fairly regular injuries - unfortunately I have had three in a single match - but they are typically of the 5-8 day variety with some multi-week ones thrown in the mix.

But the injury systems sucks, plain and simple, so your mileage may vary.

Also, if you're dominating play and getting loads of shots but not scoring, I've found for myself that it's because I'm taking low quality shots. When I'm more patient, play the ball around a bit more, make that extra pass, I score a lot more.

As for defending, if you're playing on default sliders, and I am too, then you're going to concede goals. Defending is a real bitch, but you can get better. For instance I don't concede a huge amount of headers like I did in the beginning. I'm on Legendary difficulty and playing with Chelsea, there's no greater satisfaction in this game than a clean sheet.

Cheers, I'll try your injury settings.

I just can't score in career mode. All my players just stand around not making any runs, maybe EA are trying to make a point about Villas Boas' signings or something but I've only managed one goal in five games, and probably two or three shots on target in that time. I think I'm on the verge of being sacked already. I just lost 1-0 at home to Norwich without a shot on goal from either side until they scored a shitty goal in the last five minutes.

Man, I've never been so shit at a game that I can't even play the main game modes.

I just can't score in career mode. All my players just stand around not making any runs, maybe EA are trying to make a point about Villas Boas' signings or something but I've only managed one goal in five games, and probably two or three shots on target in that time. I think I'm on the verge of being sacked already. I just lost 1-0 at home to Norwich without a shot on goal from either side until they scored a shitty goal in the last five minutes.

Man, I've never been so shit at a game that I can't even play the main game modes.

Well my first CM was with Spurs and I got sacked within two months I think, so you're not alone.

You've gotta be doing something wrong if you're not seeing teammate movement. I've got plenty of gripes about this game but lack of teammate movement isn't one of them.

Are you sure you're not playing too impatiently? Sometimes I think you can outplay your own team, rather than allow for things to develop.

Are you passing too quickly rather than slowing things down, keeping possession, and letting things open up naturally? Have you gotten the handle of L1 protect-the-ball and R1 shielding? Those two things are so crucial for me - the better I'm at at holding possession, the more my team makes those killer runs forward. Really, really practice at those.

Also, are you utilizing the tactical in-game options. Yeah they kinda suck but sometimes switching to counter-attack tactics or increasing your attack mentality can make a difference when you're struggling.

I'm too slow if anything, my last matches tonight I ended up with Soldado repeatedly strafing from left to right looking for players to join him in attack, and they all just stood stationary behind or alongside him. The only real movement came from my full backs overlapping.

I dunno, some friendly matches I play there seems to be movement all over the place, play other games and it's the exact opposite. But my career mode so far has been a real struggle in that respect. I try and do what you say, slow it down and wait for the movement, but certainly on Spurs' default tactics it's just not happening.

Well I struggled quite a bit until I finally experienced a couple breakthroughs. I think it's like any fast paced activity: the more experienced you get with it, the more it'll slow down for you, and the more competent you'll be.

That said, maybe my success of late is simply down to playing with a really good (though not quite dream team) Chelsea, and I've probably jinxed myself so that now when I go for a lower league CM I'll revert to sucking at this game and hating life.

dude if your players arent making runs or not enough, certain slider setting will fix that for you

Have been playing for the past hour with the new update on the xbox1 and one thing I definately have noticed is the individuality, the difference is a lot more significant in the way different players turn with the ball and iv also noticed a big improvement between the average passers and the superstar passers. Seriously guys this game is amazing.

Only o XB1 it seems, posted on EA forums:

Hello, FIFA fans.

A new title update is now available for FIFA 14 on XBOX One. The purpose of this XB1-only update is resolve several stability issues in FIFA 14.

Our commitment to improve the FIFA 14 is ongoing, and regular feedback from our fans helps us prioritize and identify future improvements. Thanks your feedback on Twitter, Facebook, and the EA Forums. We’ll continue to provide you with information through those channels as and when it becomes available.

Thanks,
The FIFA Team

Back
Top Bottom