[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

Getting bored of the commentators talking about players who I've transfer listed "And, yet, he plays today" when he couldn't be further away from my starting XI.

Had this mad thing last night too where my available wages showed over £2bn so I went to adjust my budget (as I had no transfer cash) and then both went to zero.

Still loving what happens on the pitch though but there's a lot to be fixed outside of that.

Adds to the game if it doesn't matter but if it costs you the match it's fucking annoying! :LOL:

Yeah I'm alright cheers, Coopz. Got married last year!

Congratulations mate.

We'll all have to catch up online when some decent multiplayer games come out again

Getting bored of the commentators talking about players who I've transfer listed "And, yet, he plays today" when he couldn't be further away from my starting XI.

Had this mad thing last night too where my available wages showed over £2bn so I went to adjust my budget (as I had no transfer cash) and then both went to zero.

Still loving what happens on the pitch though but there's a lot to be fixed outside of that.

Had that as well. You HAVE to adjust and get it to zero, or any money you earn from transfers/winning will go away or make the value show up as a negative. Pretty annoying.

I had that bug once at a point where I had four transfers agreed (inc Benteke), if I agreed to sign Benteke first it screwed up the budget, I had to agree to the other three first and then do the Benteke one.

It's the commentary that bugs me more than anything else on this. The game is absolutely fine but I'm constantly in a dilemma on whether to kill off all commentary because they're awful fuckers, or leave them and rant at them in a completely pointless scenario where I end up annoying anyone else in the room. It's often the latter.

The one about possible retirements. "He might be feeling his body". I'd love this baseball bat to feel someones body alright.

I have no idea why I'm so shit at this game. In fact I seem to be getting worse at it. I refuse to move from World Class because the AI plays an amazing game of football, and refuse to move from manual because player stats really shine through, but man, I lose almost every game I play. I score a few, but almost always concede at least one or two.

I generally don't get thrashed but I did tonight. I lost at home to West Ham, as Liverpool at Andield, by EIGHT goals to nil. What the ##%#%!! Nice touch though was that at 4-0 onwards, the crowd pretty much broke out into a chorus of booes almost every time I gave the ball away, and after that you could hear a penny drop so flat was the atmosphere apart from distant West Ham fans in the corner. But the AI went into overdrive, worst I'd previously lost was about 4-1 so I was amazed as the COM just kept rattling goals in from almost every angle.

I've always been very competent at PES and FIFA but this game is just too hard.

I have no idea why I'm so shit at this game. In fact I seem to be getting worse at it. I refuse to move from World Class because the AI plays an amazing game of football, and refuse to move from manual because player stats really shine through, but man, I lose almost every game I play. I score a few, but almost always concede at least one or two.

I generally don't get thrashed but I did tonight. I lost at home to West Ham, as Liverpool at Andield, by EIGHT goals to nil. What the ##%#%!! Nice touch though was that at 4-0 onwards, the crowd pretty much broke out into a chorus of booes almost every time I gave the ball away, and after that you could hear a penny drop so flat was the atmosphere apart from distant West Ham fans in the corner. But the AI went into overdrive, worst I'd previously lost was about 4-1 so I was amazed as the COM just kept rattling goals in from almost every angle.

So its fake manual? Why they call it manual then??

I imagine it just applies more error and inconsistency the lower the stats, rather than applying assistance with high stats. I don't own the game so could be wrong.

It's manual in that you can put the ball anywhere you want, but hitting say a 15-yard pass with a crap player takes a lot more accuracy on your part. If you have a world class passer of the ball, you can still hit a pass in absolutely any direction, but if you aim at a player then the margin for error on your part is greatly reduced.

Even if you aim correctly using a rubbish passer, chances are the recipient will have to stop his run to gather the ball, whereas doing the same thing with a better player will see the ball arrive into the stride of the recipient etc. playing with two league one teams, the players were constantly checking back to gather passes wheras one player in the team with much better ability was playing perfectly weighted balls into the stride of players. Playing as Liverpool, Gerrard can pass long, raking diagonal balls with ease, try that with someone else and chances are you'll over or underhit the pass.

I think it's the perfect system. You can hit the ball absolutely anywhere but better players will hit a better quality of pass with a greater margin of error on your part.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I can't hit long lob passes successfully, even on assisted. I seem to send them exactly where I want them to but as soon as the ball bounces it accelerates too much and my player can't catch up to it. Is there any way of putting back spin on these?

So its fake manual? Why they call it manual then??

If it didn't rely on stats at all, then what would be the point in stats if a League 2 player can hit just as good a pass as Xabi Alonso? Manual doesn't mean it doesn't use stats.

If it didn't rely on stats at all, then what would be the point in stats if a League 2 player can hit just as good a pass as Xabi Alonso? Manual doesn't mean it doesn't use stats.

Sadly Ive tried manual in last gen FIFA14 and it throws the last remnants of individuality out of the window.
Old gems like WE9LE didnt have manual and they worked.
Anyway It is futile for me to be in this topic. See you in 2018 guys have fun.

Well if your problem is in defense, like I said before, the answer doesn't have to be stop playing manual but instead adjust the CPU sliders to even things out.

I just won the league in CM playing as Chelsea, on default settings not using manual, and the only way I did that was by scoring a shit ton of goals. Even though my defense consisted of outstanding players, being solid in defense in this game on default settings is near impossible IMO because the defensive part of the game simply isn't good enough against the CPU AI.

So either drop the manual settings so you score more goals (player stats still really shine) or adjust the CPU sliders so that you don't concede as many goals.

Well if your problem is in defense, like I said before, the answer doesn't have to be stop playing manual but instead adjust the CPU sliders to even things out.

I just won the league in CM playing as Chelsea, on default settings not using manual, and the only way I did that was by scoring a shit ton of goals. Even though my defense consisted of outstanding players, being solid in defense in this game on default settings is near impossible IMO because the defensive part of the game simply isn't good enough against the CPU AI.

So either drop the manual settings so you score more goals (player stats still really shine) or adjust the CPU sliders so that you don't concede as many goals.

I don't want to adjust CPU sliders to be honest, once I get into that whole area I'll end up spending more time mucking around with them than enjoying the game.

That said, I've been fine with it up until this last week. I've only been playing friendlies with random teams, but I've generally done okay - won some, drawn a lot, lost some.

But this past couple of weeks, it's as if the COM has gotten a whole lot more aggressive. It hasn't as there hasn't been a patch, but it feels that way. The game is starting to thrash me almost every time. I just turned it off when I went 4-0 down against a lesser team.

I can barely score at the moment either. Once I get to the final third, all my players seem to just stand around doing nothing, being man-marked. And at the other end, I can't stop the COM from scoring, particularly in the last ten minutes. It feels like the game just scores when it wants and you can't do anything to stop it.

It's a great game, the AI on World Class is amazing, but I'm not enjoying it because I'm so bad at it. I can't even contemplate doing a Career Mode because I'd get sacked.

So I dunno. I did okay at the game at first, thought it's fine, I'll improve the more I play and learn the game, but I'm not improving at it at all. I'm now getting thrashed every other game. I mean I lost 8-0 yesterday, and twice switched the game off tonight when I went 3-0 and 4-0 down respectively. Switching it down to Professional level just doesn't have the same feel to it, so I'm not sure what to do with the game at the moment, because getting hammered all the time isn't much fun.

TBH I really can't understand the logic of your argument, you're not enjoying the game now, but you're refusing to do a couple of simple things that will make the game an amazing experience, adjusted sliders to suit your ability level + career mode will make a huge difference for you.

It makes no sense to drop down to Professional as you say yourself because it changes fundamentally the stuff the AI will do, but World Class plus a few little slider tweaks such as increase your marking, lower their marking, increase their pass error + ball control error will make a big difference.

Gaming should be enjoyable, not frustrating, if it's annoying you then you're doing it wrong! Nobody wants to win every match but it needs to be fair and balanced else there's no enjoyment, my adjusted sliders + Legendary and the game is fair and balanced for myself and the AI, I win some, lose some, win many I should win, lose many I should lose etc. etc.

I agree with placebo adjusting the sliders improves the game a lot and you see a significant difference in individuality as well.
Supertalk, give it a go,try placebos or Orion's slider settings on fifa soccer blog, worst case scenario reset the settings to default you have nothing to lose but a lot to gain

I've tried slider settings and none of them have been to my taste to be honest. Trouble is, altering one slider leads to a cascade of other changes as each slider change means another has to be adjusted to compensate. Don't get me wrong, absolute full respect to those who get an enjoyable game from changing them, and for sharing with others. I just don't have the time to fine tune such stuff.

That's the thing, I like the game as it is out of the box, I'm just dreadful at the game. There must be a way of successfully defending on default sliders though, surely?

I've tried slider settings and none of them have been to my taste to be honest. Trouble is, altering one slider leads to a cascade of other changes as each slider change means another has to be adjusted to compensate. Don't get me wrong, absolute full respect to those who get an enjoyable game from changing them, and for sharing with others. I just don't have the time to fine tune such stuff.

That's the thing, I like the game as it is out of the box, I'm just dreadful at the game. There must be a way of successfully defending on default sliders though, surely?

I'm loving this discussion as I'm pretty much where you are, in all aspects.

One tip on defending, have you tried getting close to the opposition then switch to another player to make the CPU tackle for you?

anyone had the bug where everyone in the league draws 0-0 except for your result???

Yep. And where every half time result is 0-0 often then full times are normal.

I respect where you're coming from and hope my feedback doesn't come across as insulting you or your gaming methods etc, I know I'm an angry poster™ (according to Gerd) ;) So that's obviously not what I intended, just want to see everyone get as enjoyable a game of football out of their purchase as possible!

anyone had the bug where everyone in the league draws 0-0 except for your result???

It's just a visual bug though isn't it? I had that showing at fulltime but then checked the results after the match and they were "proper" results.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I can't hit long lob passes successfully, even on assisted. I seem to send them exactly where I want them to but as soon as the ball bounces it accelerates too much and my player can't catch up to it. Is there any way of putting back spin on these?

Am I really the only one experiencing this? The ball accelerates unrealistically too fast IMO when it bounces after a lob pass. Or did I mess something up with slider changes?

Pull back after the pass to put backspin on, it is hard to have them land perfectly but it's not impossible, the problem (or one of them), if you make the pass and then push forward to make the recipient receive the ball it affects the ball itself and adds top spin, make the pass, pull back to add backspin and then once the ball is well on its way move the receiving player.

A good way to practice is play the long pass skill game where you put the ball into buckets, you can try different movements when making long passes to see how the ball's affected. Some players with the flair trait can do a different long pass which makes it more of a straight up and down lobbed pass less likely to spin away from the recipient.

One weird thing, anyone noticed that holding down the left trigger when taking a corner makes a massive difference to the pace and movement of the corner? You can really whip them in when holding it down, weird, did I miss something in the manual?

Pull back after the pass to put backspin on, it is hard to have them land perfectly but it's not impossible, the problem (or one of them), if you make the pass and then push forward to make the recipient receive the ball it affects the ball itself and adds top spin, make the pass, pull back to add backspin and then once the ball is well on its way move the receiving player.

A good way to practice is play the long pass skill game where you put the ball into buckets, you can try different movements when making long passes to see how the ball's affected. Some players with the flair trait can do a different long pass which makes it more of a straight up and down lobbed pass less likely to spin away from the recipient.

One weird thing, anyone noticed that holding down the left trigger when taking a corner makes a massive difference to the pace and movement of the corner? You can really whip them in when holding it down, weird, did I miss something in the manual?

ahhh that makes sense. Thanks for the tip. As for the LT on the corner, no idea, I am just trying to learn all the controls. Like its weird that when going for an air ball you hold LT to get into position but it is also used for volleys, overhead kicks, etc. I didn't see any of these control explanations in the manual but remember the LT for jockeying from FIFA 09 which was the last one I had played.

I respect where you're coming from and hope my feedback doesn't come across as insulting you or your gaming methods etc, I know I'm an angry poster™ (according to Gerd) ;) So that's obviously not what I intended, just want to see everyone get as enjoyable a game of football out of their purchase as possible!

Haha no worries at all, I took your post as trying to be helpful so I do appreciate it. In fact I'd say you help more people out on here than anyone else, angry or not! ;)

I'll keep at it, and stick with manual. Just out of interest, do you happen to know any little tips or tricks I might not know about as a relative newcomer? Stuff like your tip earlier about using backspin by pushing back on the stick? Football games have a strange history of not being clear on their controls!

I'm loving this discussion as I'm pretty much where you are, in all aspects.

One tip on defending, have you tried getting close to the opposition then switch to another player to make the CPU tackle for you?

Yep. And where every half time result is 0-0 often then full times are normal.

Not really but I'll give it a go! I usually control a man off the ball and use R1 to bring others to the ball carrier, but I guess I get impatient with that and end up chasing the guy which is absolutely the worst thing to do!

Prior to this week I hadn't generally conceded too many so I don't know why I'm now leaking goals. My trouble is opening up defences. I think I pass the ball too slow and ponderous to be honest.

@supertalk if you have a problem with defensive controls, you might try my set.X 》standing tackle.....□ 》 teammate pressure....R1 》auto jockey or whatever they call it.
Those are just differences after choosing alternate 1st.

Back
Top Bottom