[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

Having played with about 7 different teams in the exhibition mode this last two nights, the difference in the way teams play against you / the way you set up your team is massive.

Different players make different runs off the ball, control it different, can pass better/worse, finish better / worse. Only touching the surface I think...

I used to hope and get my fingers crossed for Konami efforts and general vision in the game, but now i just hope EA can keep this up. It really is a very enjoyable, rewarding game. Kudos to EA, i must admit.

Best football game ever made! Just hope EA keep marching on the golden path they've stumbled upon and not listen to the masses (kids) that think the game is too hard because it's realistic.

They've managed to combine my favorite aspects: transfer market system like in Championship Manager were you can't see the attributes of players, gameplay which reminds me of the best times with PES on the PS2, and the icing on the cake are the graphics, animations and the atmosphere.

Truly a gem.

Last edited:
Agreed Scorpio - I've never known a footy game where I'm still watching the replays after the game as I am with this.

My only gripes so far are:

I wish there was a button to take you back to the main menu in CM (as there is Triangle for the Inbox) to save me constantly nearly quitting the mode).
The game hasn't incorporated ineligibility of players (I signed Rhodes, played him in the Carling Cup and he already had 3 goals in it for Blackburn and I've had Assaidi playing against me for Stoke in the League).

Never been in a Fifa unfortunately, players on loan can play against their parent club as well.

Shame that when it would probably be easy enough to incorporate, especially as the game knows they're only on loan.

Still I'll take that for all the great things in the game.

Well, you're right of course, but when there's so many really painful omissions such as only being able to sign someone to a pre-contract during the January transfer window, having no loan window ie it's the exact same period as the regular transfer window and then bugs like signing a player on precontract only for them to sign to another team! There has to be a long list of much higher priorities before cup tied/parent loanee stuff :)

True. I'm playing this alongside Football Manager 14 and although it's all a step in the right direction (especially compared to a couple of years ago when little was done between versions for Career Mode) it's still a long way away from being able to provide a fraction of the depth that FM gives.

Indeed. I've said it before, but I'm really hoping the death of EA's Fifa Manager franchise will mean we get fundamentals from that put into Fifa, surely there's a market for people who would buy Fifa to mostly sim matches if the sim engine is on a par with a statistical football management game.

Agreed Scorpio - I've never known a footy game where I'm still watching the replays after the game as I am with this.
Same here, it really does look stunning.

I've got the same old problem though I'm afraid, Professional is too easy and World Class is too hard! The AI gets dumbed down quite a lot from WC to Pro and that annoys me, too easy to get the ball off them, almost feels like cheating on Pro. So I guess I'll stick with World Class and maybe increase the CPU pass error. As I am playing all manual myself I've notice I struggle to keep hold of the ball and never finish with more than 45% possession. I'm playing as Liverpool in my career mode. I could switch to semi passing but like being all manual. I think I'll stay on all manual and increase CPU pass error and see how that goes.

Finally got the full match up:

Worth watching purely to see what an amazing job the AI does on Legendary at simulating Everton, really felt whilst playing against them I was seeing Martinez's Everton in action!

Also very proud of my goal and the passing and movement I used in its creation, must have been more than a dozen passes, I even passed backwards at times ;)

Glad you're enjoying it :)

Just watched that build up you were talking about and i could have thought i was playing :LOL:

Its just amazing playing this game, just keeping ball mixing it up with passes (some of the long passes you can pick out with this are brilliant and look the same).

You can score some incredible goals on this and the replays make it worth watching any goal.

Its not only when you have the ball either, all the other things like fighting for the ball, tackles, headers, set pieces and all the animations they have added to each thing look so realistic and very fluid.

If you have a XBone/PS4 and you haven't got this your missing out on the best football game to date.

Thanks. Have raised CPU pass error by 10. Just got slightly bummed 3-0 at home to Man Utd. Couldn't get near them at times. Switching controls to semi passing, shooting and crossing, other two manual.

Thanks. Have raised CPU pass error by 10. Just got slightly bummed 3-0 at home to Man Utd. Couldn't get near them at times. Switching controls to semi passing, shooting and crossing, other two manual.

If your problem is defending, which I'm inferring it is since you say you can't get near them at times, I'd suggest adjusting the CPU sliders before abandoning manual altogether.

When I was playing Manual, I had very good success with Orion's settings over at Operations Sports. Regardless, you probably ought to listen to Placebo and adjust other CPU settings in addition to pass error.

Another way to go about it is to knock a point off the CPU's acceleration relative to your own. I know a lot of people like this approach.

If you do give up on manual, no worries. I gave up on it a FiFA or two ago and I'm lovin FIFA 14 next gen on the default settings, though I admit defending can be a real bitch at times.

Finished my 1st season managing Blackburn in 16th position.Not bad as I was getting used to the game and tweaking the sliders to adjust difficulty.(W/D/L 13/16/17)

I used the token to manage an international team in 1st year.Got Austria and they were qualified to WC2014.So played with them some friendlies before the 1st official match against Chile,I won 2-1.
Then Greece 1-0.And drew with Italy 0-0 to come on top of the group.

In the 16th round got Portugal.Managed to stay 0-0 till the extra time.Till a header from corner by my CB Dragovic to get me the win.

Then that was the end when I played against Spain.They were from another planet.It ended 0-2.

Then another season began and I did Placebo's trick of changing the players before proceeding and the goal was to avoid relegation. ;)

My team is starting to get in shape while bringing talents from youth academy.I didn't made any signing in summer window.With Robinson retiring I started depending on my 2nd GK.Also Kilgallon started getting slower and losing it ,so he will retire.

A couple of players are really developing into something: Slew,King,Grant Hanley.While others are really bad Campbelle and Best.
My main players right now the trio in the middle Judge,Cairney,Evans.Right now I'm in 6th position.With only 2 loses(the least team to lose)

Before starting European qualifiers ,signed a new contract with Austria.After 4 matches I'm on top with 1pts difference with Italy.

I got a weird bug where 2 of my newly promoted youth wears black trousers instead of shorts.I guess I'll be stuck with that.I can't let them go,they got high potential.

I'll leave you with my special goals.Thanks for reading. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGUPRnLa0Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiOmtir68Kc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JvHEuZ6hko

Among the career modes I'm doing on the PS4, I have one with Zenit going mainly to see how easy it is to get players on pre-contracts.

Turns out it's pretty easy, HOWEVER...

Among the players I brought in was Rakitic on a pre. No problems there right? Wrong! The bastard went to Liverpool but still shows up in my lineup when I scroll through player contracts. I can't select him in games though!

So realizing I was stuck paying a guy monster wages without being able to sell him since he's a new (non-existant) signing, I had no choice but to release him from his (non-existant) contract after a while. Set me back nine millions I think. Good times.

Finished my 1st season managing Blackburn in 16th position.Not bad as I was getting used to the game and tweaking the sliders to adjust difficulty.(W/D/L 13/16/17)

I used the token to manage an international team in 1st year.Got Austria and they were qualified to WC2014.So played with them some friendlies before the 1st official match against Chile,I won 2-1.
Then Greece 1-0.And drew with Italy 0-0 to come on top of the group.

In the 16th round got Portugal.Managed to stay 0-0 till the extra time.Till a header from corner by my CB Dragovic to get me the win.

Then that was the end when I played against Spain.They were from another planet.It ended 0-2.

Then another season began and I did Placebo's trick of changing the players before proceeding and the goal was to avoid relegation. ;)

My team is starting to get in shape while bringing talents from youth academy.I didn't made any signing in summer window.With Robinson retiring I started depending on my 2nd GK.Also Kilgallon started getting slower and losing it ,so he will retire.

A couple of players are really developing into something: Slew,King,Grant Hanley.While others are really bad Campbelle and Best.
My main players right now the trio in the middle Judge,Cairney,Evans.Right now I'm in 6th position.With only 2 loses(the least team to lose)

Before starting European qualifiers ,signed a new contract with Austria.After 4 matches I'm on top with 1pts difference with Italy.

I got a weird bug where 2 of my newly promoted youth wears black trousers instead of shorts.I guess I'll be stuck with that.I can't let them go,they got high potential.

I'll leave you with my special goals.Thanks for reading. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGUPRnLa0Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiOmtir68Kc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JvHEuZ6hko

Surely this should be in the career thread?

Adds to the game if it doesn't matter but if it costs you the match it's fucking annoying! :LOL:

Yeah I'm alright cheers, Coopz. Got married last year!

Does anyone know exactly which stadiums have the exterior cut scenes at the beginning? I've only so far noticed it for maybe six stadiums so far (Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool). Are there any more?

Back
Top Bottom