[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

Has anyone tried to play Online Co-op Seasons? Me and mate tried it just now about 3 times but every match he cannot move his player, it just doesn't respond. He can pause it and navigate menus but in game it just does not respond...

Not sure what to make of the updates.

Some of the niggling things about the defensive side of the game seem more pronounced for me - defenders being easily bumped off the ball by attackers, poor switching selection, etc. Only seems to affect the team you control as the CPU has an almost laser like ability to pick a tackle and also seems better able to protect and shield the ball. The strength attributes just seem to be more pronounced for the CPU controlled teams. Creates a bit of an imbalance.

However, the ball seems a even freer now, less tied to the boot (this wasn't a particular problem for me in any case). Definitely marks out the difference between players with lower ball control and dribbling skills. This is a good thing.

Yeah, you would have thought so but who knows?
Only going by how the game plays for me at the moment.

I always feel a bit off complaining about a game i personally consider the best football game i have played. This doesn't put it beyond criticism though and i hope that there is a bit more balance to the defensive side of the game for FIFA 15.

Really tempted to pick up a PS4, and with this being the only football ame I'd end up with this.

I don't mind FIFA atall, I just hated how its branded as a simulation game. So, is it worth it? similar to PS3/360? I haven't played FIFA 14 this year apart from the UT beta, so any improvements?

I played online last night and my opponent was Everton and Lukaku has his new short hair style, when i went into my edit he still had Dreads. Also is Mata at United?

Think the answer there Pepper is that the squads are updated "on-demand" whenever you play on-line or a "friendly" yet the full transfer update for the normal modes will probably happen a short time after the window closes today.

/guess

I meant to add, and this is a sign of the times, that I only think this because I knew of Lukaku's new hair style because I played EFC in a friendly on Monday evening ahead of the derby the next night. Thought they'd just given him a generic look at first.

I know it hasn't been a long time since the Fifa 14 nextgen release date, but are you guys not excited for the 2014 world cup game ?

The last one was released on April 29, and the demo was out on April 8 (according to wikipedia), so I think we are not very far from the official anouncement. Next big gaming event will be GDC 2014 on march 17-21, and that's when I expect the world cup game to be officialy announced.

I'll get a PS4 on march, but I'm not sure if I will buy Fifa 14 since the world cup game won't take too much time to be released after that.

Last edited:
I look forward to a WC game with trepidation. On one hand I enjoyed the last WC game's gameplay quite a bit. On the other hand, the last time it was clear that the WC game took away from the next full FIFA title (FIFA 11?) and that game was a terribly minimal improvement.

So while I'd love a NG WC game if it's of the same quality as the previous one, my #1 wish is that FIFA 15 be awesome.

No matter how much I play this I just don't improve. I don't know why, it's the first game in all my time that I just don't improve at. I'm about to get sacked in my career mode, no wins in ten games with Spurs is pretty shockingly poor.

I just don't get it. When my player receives a pass he has the AI defender breathing down his neck in what feels like microseconds, the pressure is really high. Yet when the AI gets the ball, they always seem to have about five yards of space around them and it's virtually impossible to close them down. It's like the AI has a five yard safety zone around the player that you can only close down just as the player passes the ball or shoots. I mean I just lost 3-0 to Cardiff and all three goals were scored by their players just waltzing through the middle with me totally unable to get anywhere near them.

It's a really hard game on default sliders, plain and simple. I just finished my first season on Legendary and just barely squeaked through a top four finish and my team is pretty darn awesome (I was actually 2nd until the last couple months when I had a terrible run of form, which had nothing to do with the game and was all me).

I only did that by scoring a good amount (I averaged 2.2 over the season), not at all by be being solid defensively (I conceded 1.8). It was the same when I won the league the previous season on World Class. On default sliders I honestly don't know that being solid in defense is a real possibility for the reasons you brought up among others.

So you've got two options imo: either learn to score a lot (and getting great players really helps, obviously) or use sliders to adjust things so they are more fair, although to be honest I'm not sure sliders can directly fix the primary issue which is the amount of space and time on the ball that the CPU is afforded in the final third because of the defensive mechanics.

Last edited:
Maybe switching from tactical defending to legendary might help? I'm just thinking out loud here, but perhaps it will allow players to press closer to the ball carrier (I'm thinking by using secondary press).

Would be a shame to not use the defensive stuff from tactical ending, like the tackle button, but I'm not sure the mechanics work all that well.

Have you guys who are struggling with defending tried to stay off the run button?

Only run when it's absolutely necessary. All you have to do is try to keep the cpu from making easy passes by positioning yourself correctly like in real life.

You don't see your real life team defenders or midfielders running at the opposition when defending, do you? Just keep them contained until they make a mistake and wait for your moment. ;)

Fuck, lost all my custom formations by going into FUT again. How do I stop that from happening?

You can't, only thing you can do is when it happens immediately back out and get the latest upload of your personal settings from online storage. We talked about this bug previously and I tried to warn everyone to put a backup on a flashdrive once all their custom formations are created ;)

No matter how much I play this I just don't improve. I don't know why, it's the first game in all my time that I just don't improve at. I'm about to get sacked in my career mode, no wins in ten games with Spurs is pretty shockingly poor.

I just don't get it. When my player receives a pass he has the AI defender breathing down his neck in what feels like microseconds, the pressure is really high. Yet when the AI gets the ball, they always seem to have about five yards of space around them and it's virtually impossible to close them down. It's like the AI has a five yard safety zone around the player that you can only close down just as the player passes the ball or shoots. I mean I just lost 3-0 to Cardiff and all three goals were scored by their players just waltzing through the middle with me totally unable to get anywhere near them.

Did you adjust the sliders? If you've conceding that kind of goal over and over it means IMO your sliders are not suited for the skill level you're playing on.

Did you adjust the sliders? If you've conceding that kind of goal over and over it means IMO your sliders are not suited for the skill level you're playing on.

I'm on default sliders, though I did see a tutorial/tips some guy is doing on YouTube and it's a big help, seeing how others people play is the most help really.

Over thing I am going to do though is drastically reduce the injury severity slider, on default in career mode it's totally broken so far. I'm just twelve games into the season and I've had Dawson, Holtby, Sigurdson and Rose all break down during a match with a broken ankle. All but one injury I've had in my career mode has been a broken ankle, in fact.

Have you guys who are struggling with defending tried to stay off the run button?

Only run when it's absolutely necessary. All you have to do is try to keep the cpu from making easy passes by positioning yourself correctly like in real life.

You don't see your real life team defenders or midfielders running at the opposition when defending, do you? Just keep them contained until they make a mistake and wait for your moment. ;)

Staying off the sprint button is definitely one of the keys to the game.

Back
Top Bottom