[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

You blame EA for loving money.Yet Konami kept releasing crap for 7 years.

From your posts you seem to have no interest in even trying the urself instead of judging through watching videos.

One thing I learnt about PES fans over the last couple of years,they ask fifa fans to give PES time to get used to it.Yet you guys don't even give fifa more than a single halftime. :/
You need to backup there buddy

I have been giving FIFA NG ample time to win me over but the lack of individuality, bad scripting and a physics engine that can barely compete against Pes fox/havok engine makes me realise that KONAMI still have the magic formula.

Having said this fifa has their place in the market but it will never be the game for every football gamer nor will Konami and it should be this way

Different strokes for different folks and what not

Last edited:
Been playing for a week now and its not that great tbh. Never been a FIFA fan but some of the comments in this thread along with it being the only footy game on the PS4 made me chance it. Its better than the last FIFA game I bought(12), there are some really nice features but it just does not feel right. I put it down to the lack of foot planting, which makes it difficult to shape up for things and makes the players actions feel unnatural. Changing the game speed to slow helped to add some weight but its still floaty and I find that the slow speed has introduced some lag when switching to sprint.

Team mate AI is also very pedestrian, I have to constantly switch and move the players manually to get my team moving as I would expect them to in PES automatically.

The passing does not have as great a range as I am used to and the ground passes do not feel crisp, its like they are using a heavier and slightly deflated ball.

Weak foot accuracy and frequency is not good.

Most of the time when I score I do not really feel like I have earned it. I usually feel like the technique used is one that the particular player should not be able to use successfully or that the keeper should have made a save or that the strike was too accurate. I have upped the shot error but the error it introduces is not physics based, it just nerfs random shots. Same with the passing error actually, instead of applying real situational error it just makes the ball bounce up when you hit it, take power out of the pass or just hits it to the opposition. The error sliders are a nice idea but until they are tied to a better simulation of whats going on between ball, player and the physics between the two they just apply an alpha code like filter to the game.

The keepers are strange. My league 2 keeper makes double and triple saves in nearly every game and from close range performs how I would expect the very best keepers to. I seem to get a lot of goals by the keeper parrying the ball into dangerous areas. When I shoot from range it seems to cause them trouble, quite often missing shots that are hit pretty close to them.

It does look very nice though, the presentation is top notch and its soooooo nice to have all the licenses ready in the game. But overall I do not feel any desire to continue playing it after a week, there is nothing drawing me in, no character.

Been playing for a week now and its not that great tbh. Never been a FIFA fan but some of the comments in this thread along with it being the only footy game on the PS4 made me chance it. Its better than the last FIFA game I bought(12), there are some really nice features but it just does not feel right. I put it down to the lack of foot planting, which makes it difficult to shape up for things and makes the players actions feel unnatural. Changing the game speed to slow helped to add some weight but its still floaty and I find that the slow speed has introduced some lag when switching to sprint.

Team mate AI is also very pedestrian, I have to constantly switch and move the players manually to get my team moving as I would expect them to in PES automatically.

The passing does not have as great a range as I am used to and the ground passes do not feel crisp, its like they are using a heavier and slightly deflated ball.

Most of the time when I score I do not really feel like I have earned it. I usually feel like the technique used is one that the particular player should not be able to use successfully or that the keeper should have made a save or that the strike was too accurate. I have upped the shot error but the error it introduces is not physics based, it just nerfs random shots. Same with the passing error actually, instead of applying real situational error it just makes the ball bounce up when you hit it, take power out of the pass or just hits it to the opposition. The error sliders are a nice idea but until they are tied to a better simulation of whats going on between ball, player and the physics between the two they just apply an alpha code like filter to the game.

The keepers are strange. My league 2 keeper makes double and triple saves in nearly every game and from close range performs how I would expect the very best keepers to. I seem to get a lot of goals by the keeper parrying the ball into dangerous areas. When I shoot from range it seems to cause them trouble, quite often missing shots that are hit pretty close to them.

It does look very nice though, the presentation is top notch and its soooooo nice to have all the licenses ready in the game. But overall I do not feel any desire to continue playing it after a week, there is nothing drawing me in, no character.

same here i totally disagree with all your points, at the end of the day the user experience is different for everyone but to say the AI is pedestrian and there is a lack of foot planting is bewildering to me..also if you feel as there is no reward go to full manual..

on another note playing as liverpool at anfield on broadcast camera is epic, takes some getting used to coming from dynamic but its worth perceivering with...loving the seemless gameplay too and there are more AI fouls now

same here i totally disagree with all your points, at the end of the day the user experience is different for everyone but to say the AI is pedestrian and there is a lack of foot planting is bewildering to me..also if you feel as there is no reward go to full manual..

on another note playing as liverpool at anfield on broadcast camera is epic, takes some getting used to coming from dynamic but its worth perceivering with...loving the seemless gameplay too and there are more AI fouls now

Hi mate can you alter the 'broadcast camera' at all or is stuck in a set height/zoom? Also I'd love to see some videos of either Anfield or Goodison park using broadcast camera :)

We have to wait for Ps4 in Aus

+ 1

The other thing is lack of individuality

The players do not run their angles like they do irl. Xavi and busquets are good examples of the problems with FIFA in this regard. They both get into the box from open play far too frequently and defend in equal measure.

Iniesta, Neymar amd Messi have the same ball control, first touch, ball technique and burst of pace like everyone else. The only real difference is top speed and the heavy Ai assistance to retain the ball.

Its a game breaker for me.

Last edited:
Hi mate can you alter the 'broadcast camera' at all or is stuck in a set height/zoom? Also I'd love to see some videos of either Anfield or Goodison park using broadcast camera :)

We have to wait for Ps4 in Aus

You can adjust it to a certain extent ..the middle of the park is quite zoomed out but as you get to the box it zooms In ..I have set to about 17 zoomed in ...its great ..just wished there was a bit more zoom In the middle of the pitch..don't have the ability to share sorry , in the process of moving in with my OH and she has crappy net until I get my broadband moved across

That is fantastic. I rarely score long rangers..in fact i don't think I have at all in this game unlike previous versions when they were so common.

Love this game, although career mode is ridiculous sometimes. Got sacked from newcastle as I finished 7th.... Started new one with QPR and got promoted then next season they wanted me to reach Euro spot. Great

next season they wanted me to reach Euro spot. Great

Before you end the season replace the starting 11 with your weakest players, board expectations are unfortunately calculated based solely on the strength of the starting 11 not the squad or the amount of transfer funds made available.

Before you end the season replace the starting 11 with your weakest players, board expectations are unfortunately calculated based solely on the strength of the starting 11 not the squad or the amount of transfer funds made available.

Cheater! :RANT:

Placebo, could u please post your sliders and camera settings for next-gen game PS4.

I haven't really worked on the sliders as I'm still adjusting to the PS4's controller, currently on Professional all manual, just put the GK's to 20, increased my button press and raised CPU marking to 65. Game is very decent on default (that and it's much harder coming form the 360 controller right now) :)

As for camera I'm using the Coop camera with tilt at 20 and zoom at 20, not the same as tele but does a decent job to compensate for the weird way they messed up all the different stadiums, at least every stadium has this camera/angle so I'm not thrown for a loop every match! :)

+ 1

The other thing is lack of individuality

The players do not run their angles like they do irl. Xavi and busquets are good examples of the problems with FIFA in this regard. They both get into the box from open play far too frequently and defend in equal measure.

Iniesta, Neymar amd Messi have the same ball control, first touch, ball technique and burst of pace like everyone else. The only real difference is top speed and the heavy Ai assistance to retain the ball.

Its a game breaker for me.

I'm baffled how you can think players like Messi or Neymar don't feel different to other players. Try a forward from a lower league club and the difference is enormous. Worse players have heavier touches, cannot change direction as fast, can't shield the ball as well, have far worse off-the-ball AI in terms of runs and positioning compared to top players, and lower-rated players can't really beat defenders.

Take Modric for example. I had a low-rated youth player in the centre of midfield and they were never available for a pass, had a heavy first touch and passes were intercepted. I subbed him off for Modric, and the difference was massive. He could retain the ball under pressure miles better, passes were faster, more accurate, and played into the stride of a player rather than forcing the receiver to stop to gather the pass.

But the biggest difference was in Modric's off-the-ball movement. He was constantly buzzing around whoever I had in control of the ball, was constantly available for a pass by dropping deep and finding space..

Anyways, we all have different tastes, but labelling this version of FIFA as sub-par in the realism stakes next to PES is really unfair IMO. In FIFA NG, offline, players feel and act more individual, passing is better, shooting is better, keepers are better, there's a much greater variety of goals, shielding mechanics in FIFA are better, impact engine is better (at least the ball in FIFA doesn't travel occasionally through solid objects - I once scored a goal in PES 2014 that went in through the outside of the post and into the net), and the opponent AI is on a whole new level in FIFA NG. The AI's off-the-ball runs and ability to keep the ball is miles ahead of any football game I've ever played.

Just my two cents worth :)

Last edited:
It's the fucking dogs bollocks is my two cents worth.

It's the only footy game in 5 years to have me jumping off my seat and cheering a goal, individuality is so pronounced I'm actually proper mulling over stats before buying a player, there a certain players I know not to take a first time shot with, do a lobbed through ball, not get too close to an opposition player because they are weak.

It's an incredible game of football and I never thought I would say that about a FIFA game, last one in liked was 09.

Well being in the Championship I haven't played there yet! so no I'm not sure, I'll try in a friendly later :)

Cool, from what i gather the same camera angle restrictions are present in all the camera types... for exemple at anfield the highest tilt u can have is 12 no matter with camera type ure using, same with Goodison, highest tilt is 15 for every camera type.

Oh and BTw, the title update III hasnt been released on XB1 yet! dunno why...so maybe we have different camera options now.

Last edited:

Ah sneaky..I like it.

I have seen a weird camera bug (?) where going near the touch line causes the camera to "tilt up" really fast and go back to where it was. It may be certain stadiums, I've just started to notice it in my career and pro clubs. It may be because I have my camera high and pretty much all the way out.

And for individuality. I have found success in lower leagues/teams with "low" players. You might get a midfielder who can't shoot for shit or barely pass the ball more than 10 feet, but he can dribble like none other and is strong. I have a 19 year old winger who is rated something like 62, but he's better than the 28 year old 75 I have. He's fast, can dribble and play a pass. He can't shoot to save his life but still chipped in with 3 goals and a few assists. My strikers are completely different, one is fast and accurate, the other is slow but strong, he creates more chances for himself and others, he drops back into our own half, while my speedster just sits on the half line.

Just watched a bit of that stream Placebo - you had a nice little spell there (followed by the opponent's keeper hilariously tripping over someone and faceplanting :LOL:), this FIFA actually looks pretty decent. I'm not a big fan of the style of the gameplay in FIFA but if you liked current gen, this looks like it would be really enjoyable.

Hopefully EA release this version on PC sooner rather than later, could be a bit of fun.

I'm baffled how you can think players like Messi or Neymar don't feel different to other players. Try a forward from a lower league club and the difference is enormous. Worse players have heavier touches, cannot change direction as fast, can't shield the ball as well, have far worse off-the-ball AI in terms of runs and positioning compared to top players, and lower-rated players can't really beat defenders.

Take Modric for example. I had a low-rated youth player in the centre of midfield and they were never available for a pass, had a heavy first touch and passes were intercepted. I subbed him off for Modric, and the difference was massive. He could retain the ball under pressure miles better, passes were faster, more accurate, and played into the stride of a player rather than forcing the receiver to stop to gather the pass.

But the biggest difference was in Modric's off-the-ball movement. He was constantly buzzing around whoever I had in control of the ball, was constantly available for a pass by dropping deep and finding space..

Anyways, we all have different tastes, but labelling this version of FIFA as sub-par in the realism stakes next to PES is really unfair IMO. In FIFA NG, offline, players feel and act more individual, passing is better, shooting is better, keepers are better, there's a much greater variety of goals, shielding mechanics in FIFA are better, impact engine is better (at least the ball in FIFA doesn't travel occasionally through solid objects - I once scored a goal in PES 2014 that went in through the outside of the post and into the net), and the opponent AI is on a whole new level in FIFA NG. The AI's off-the-ball runs and ability to keep the ball is miles ahead of any football game I've ever played.

Just my two cents worth :)
If u say the ai variety is good i agree on that, but if u say the individuality is prominent i disagree with you played at length y.day only messi moves somewhat different, footplanting and inertia seems like an occasional feature not an implementation which leads to some unnatural animations. i think pes has the upperhand on the individuality,passing,footplanting,inertia, buh fifa ng has better attacking AI buh the defensive AI is still a problem for me as the defenders are slaves to the lofted through ball

Back
Top Bottom