[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

Id still buy this game even if i knew it had bugs.

This first next gen attempt is the most realistic and enjoyable football game i've played in all aspects.

Yep I agree.

I've got the PS4 game and certainly no regrets on my part. Loving this game and it just looks and feels amazing for the most part.

Definitely by far the best football game I've ever played.

Yep I agree.

I've got the PS4 game and certainly no regrets on my part. Loving this game and it just looks and feels amazing for the most part.

Definitely by far the best football game I've ever played.

Not for online though...Only offline with sliders...Online is a ping pong arcade game, not football IMHO

I can't comment on on or offline play but multiplayer is amazing. Never failed to play or watch a good game on it.

Other than the twats taking out offline tournaments i haven't got a complaint about it.

The update has broken the lighting effects on dusk games. Players are completely blacked out now when playing SUMMER 8PM games at Old Trafford & Bernabeau etc

I noticed that last night, I just assumed it was something strange going on with the stadium. Obviously not!

They'll surely re-patch this ASAP, that can't go unattended for too long.

With tele having reduced options of zoom/tilt I recently discovered the coop camera and am loving it, I have it zoomed in max and it's still around the zoom I liked tele to have in midfield so all stadiums have this amount of zoom, really nice :)

Hmm well I just loaded up Fifa and same for me, knew it was fucked because music was playing in the menus and it's always the first thing I turn off, of course fuckwit EA removed the option of saving multiple copies of personal settings on the PS4 so we can't simply recover a backup.

I downloaded the latest one from the PS4's online saves but either it was that one that was also corrupted or it didn't make any difference, I guess I'll create my formations again then keep a USB flashdrive handy solely for keeping a backup of personal settings.

Custom formations created in career mode should be tied to your career mode save not your personal settings, but of course EA never designed that aspect properly which is why we saw things like the custom formation bug completely breaking our career modes simply because a different squad file was loaded outside of career mode.

Last edited:
Had a bug recently, that I'm still not sure about. So heading into my second season with Genoa, I only had about 2M left for transfers and 9K for wages. Three games in or so and my transfer money was the same but wages shot to 217,000,000,000. I asked the board for more money and was given 5M, well once I did that the wages went to -217,000,000,000. So I reloaded and went into the slider for wages/transfer to try and reset/get more transfer...it only goes to 0. So I lost the 5M (They wouldn't do it again), and ended up at 0/0 til I sold someone luckily.

One small aspect they should change is always playing in a certain direction per half. Liverpool always play towards the kop in the 1st half, but its always the same at every stadium. Home you start left, away you start right....

TBH that's the least of the problems that need fixing. There has to be a huge list of stuff to add/fix/improve for Fifa15 else what's the point of having all that "next gen" power?

when playing online(in seasons mode) and you want to play in other than home stadium , choose to play with your away kit .

Why did I just load up FIFA and all my custom formations are gone?

Same happened to me, personal settings probably being saved when you shut down the PS4?

I think I found the cause (or a cause), I don't play UT at all, but I do trade the players (for some reason I enjoy this) so from time to time I go into UT, I noticed that even if you go into UT then back straight out without doing anything it shows the save icon meaning your personal settings are being saved, I did a test by backing up my personal settings with the custom formations saves to my USB flashdrive (just in case), then loaded Fifa (checked my custom formations were there, they were), went straight to UT, then backed straight out without doing anything, sure enough it showed the save icon, once it had gone I quit Fifa and went back to the PS4 menus, started Fifa again, went to team manager and sure enough my three custom formations had vanished.

So is it a correct assumption that UT doesn't allow custom formations or something? Because it seems to be this mode which is deleting them, rather annoying.

when playing online(in seasons mode) and you want to play in other than home stadium , choose to play with your away kit .

Hi, everyone, i haven't got FIFA next gen, i couldn't buy it even if i wanted to since i'll be moving back to Australia and i haven't remotely got any long term accommodation sorted even, i mean i don't even want a new console anyway regardless, i'll just stick to a new laptop for anything.

People here seem to be raving about the game, so it interests me, i want to see whats so good about it, i can't play it so I've been watching a lot of videos the last few days, long ones with full gameplay, trying to match the opinions here to what i see.

No, well i know your all going to be angry with me and you expect me to be negative, I understand, i saw this and i just had to scream!!! I just stood out too much

It's at 2:12, notice anything strange?

YouTube - FIFA 14 no Playstation 4 - Humilhando ou Humilhado!?

Muller picks up the ball off a Real player, dinks it into Robben, takes one touch then shoots just wide, lovely animations eh, they look so nice and fluid, body shape and everything. But in regards to simulation whats the problem here?

It carries on from 3:09 to 3:26

Robben the MOST left footed player maybe in world football, uses his right foot to control and shoot the ball with perfect balance. At 3:26 he crosses the ball with his right with lovely purchase, no wrong foot error implementation whatsoever.

Maybe this is because there aren't any stats ingame which specify on foot frequency and accuracy, i'm not sure i don't remember them being around much back say in FIFA 10 where i last played FIFA for more than a demo and actually looked at the stats since i was only playing it with friends since, i just wonder if EA are ever going to seriously implement this aspect of football properly? I remember back even with FIFA 09, if you stick Robben on the opposite flank he'd at least try shooting with his left using the outside of his boot or try with his left.

I assume on this game if the player is rate highly he'd be both footed naturally?

Again for everyone this is no exaggeration whatsoever, he is quite literally one of the most left footed players of all time:
YouTube - Arjen Robben | Goals, Skills & Passes - 2013-14 | HD

I think he must use his right about 5 times in the entire video to trap or square a ball when he has literally no choice but to use it. As you can see by the video in a simulation aspect his whole gameplan is now nullified in this game because in real life, he cuts in from the right wing on his left foot.

This wont stop people from enjoying the game because this doesn't seem to be of a concern to people here, I've seen tons and tons of problems, flaws etc.. however i can see the improvements in individuality, big center backs in the videos I've sen don't move as fluidly as forward players, dribbling seems different with players, the atmosphere looks wonderful and the TV setup is very impressive, love the chants aswell, commentary seems better also. If i do play this game in Oz i think i could enjoy the casual and the aesthetics side to this game a lot.

In terms of Simulation though, my question is will EA ever look into depth like this? Oh, hey, i thought i'd be really negative, I've been quite polite here :)). Although i'm sorry to those who didn't see this generic aspect before.

@Klashman: I agree 100% with you, it's weird to see such a basic failing to be picked up by EA for years. The difference between right and left footed players is barely noticeable. They all dribble, pass and shot the same way.

It wouldn't be a fifa thread without klash popping in to nitpick and rain on the parade.

Sure it ain't perfect but here's a crazy idea: maybe play the game before being so critical?

@Klashman: I agree 100% with you, it's weird to see such a basic failing to be picked up by EA for years. The difference between right and left footed players is barely noticeable. They all dribble, pass and shot the same way.

It's actually quite noticeable. I have both lukaku and di maria in my Cm team and they both are distinctly better with their left foots. They also regularly opt to shoot with the outside of their left foots rather than shoot with their rights. Di Maria is pretty darn terrible with his right.

Yes there are exceptions and like I said it ain't perfect but individuality based on foot preference and ability is there and plays a role.

Klash picking out one instance of failure in realism only proves that fifa isn't 100 percent perfect. Big surprise.

Last edited:
It's actually quite noticeable. I have both lukaku and di maria in my Cm team and they both are distinctly better with their left foots. They also regularly opt to shoot with the outside of their left foots rather than shoot with their rights. Di Maria is pretty darn terrible with his right.

Yes there are exceptions and like I said it ain't perfect but individuality based on foot preference and ability is there and plays a role.

Klash picking out one instance of failure in realism only proves that fifa isn't 100 percent perfect. Big surprise.
I disagree because even the promotional poster for fifa 14 pureshot has messi taking a well-balanced shot with his right leg like its nothing. If you doubt me go and find out for yourself . So if anyone says EA do not care about this aspect of realism it cannot be faulted . It is also not nitpicking if the game claims to be a simulation

It wouldn't be a fifa thread without klash popping in to nitpick and rain on the parade.

Sure it ain't perfect but here's a crazy idea: maybe play the game before being so critical?

Come on man, that is not a nit pick, if you want simulation that is a basic thing you look for, very basic thing. You should know this, what you described ingame has been the same, hell even since the PS2 games FIFA has shown foot preference with shooting and like i said with FIFA 09. I'm questioning why there has been zero development on this since 09, it's exactly the same and it plays a minor role when it should be major.

I very, very rarely post here, this was just too outrageous for me to not create a discussion.

Foot preference is a core part of a players makeup, you can see in the Robben video, Di Maria is similar with this, his who body balance is shifted 100% of the time to his left side, when he dribbles, he just uses his left to touch the ball, i'm the same when i dribble, i'm all right foot, simulation is generating those traits and with the different levels of traits and producing a large variety of different outcomes.

Also like I said, I couldn't play the thing even if i wanted to, the people i know here at home just don't care or play videogames anymore, they like me think this pathetic clamor for these new overpriced consoles is ridiculous, I'm here because all I care about in the gaming world is football games only, I think all games are shit now to be honest.

Then there is the money factor, not all of us just have 350-400 big ones lying about that can be spent on consoles, I'd rather spend it on actually having a roof over my head next year.

anyway! Absolutely superb Goalkeeper animations here at 5:42
YouTube - FIFA 14: AS Roma Career Mode - Episode #10 - TRANSFER WINDOW & JUVENTUS!

Love how despite being on the roll he still pushed himself over to try stop the second attempt! Quality and this is clearly this games biggest strength, the depth of the animations is impressive, the physics of them have gone up a level. Interesting to see if they implement full cloth and 3D kits next year.

Come on man, that is not a nit pick, if you want simulation that is a basic thing you look for, very basic thing.

The only area where Fifa doesn't simulate foot preference is in dribbling with the ball, passing, crossing, shooting, is all very well simulated since it received a big improvement with Fifa13, yes it used to be terrible, one of my tests was always a Pete Crouch first time volley cross with his left foot on manual controls, before Fifa13 it would almost always cross perfectly into the box, this is far from the case in 13 and 14 and certainly not the case in 14NG, you have to be very conscious of which foot you're passing/crossing/shooting with.

For me I really don't care which foot a player is supposed to give preference to when he's dribbling with the ball, as long as his weak foot has properly simulated inaccuracy in terms of passing/crossing/shooting and it does.

Come on man, that is not a nit pick, if you want simulation that is a basic thing you look for, very basic thing. You should know this, what you described ingame has been the same, hell even since the PS2 games FIFA has shown foot preference with shooting and like i said with FIFA 09. I'm questioning why there has been zero development on this since 09, it's exactly the same and it plays a minor role when it should be major.

I very, very rarely post here, this was just too outrageous for me to not create a discussion.

Foot preference is a core part of a players makeup, you can see in the Robben video, Di Maria is similar with this, his who body balance is shifted 100% of the time to his left side, when he dribbles, he just uses his left to touch the ball, i'm the same when i dribble, i'm all right foot, simulation is generating those traits and with the different levels of traits and producing a large variety of different outcomes.

Also like I said, I couldn't play the thing even if i wanted to, the people i know here at home just don't care or play videogames anymore, they like me think this pathetic clamor for these new overpriced consoles is ridiculous, I'm here because all I care about in the gaming world is football games only, I think all games are shit now to be honest.

Then there is the money factor, not all of us just have 350-400 big ones lying about that can be spent on consoles, I'd rather spend it on actually having a roof over my head next year.

anyway! Absolutely superb Goalkeeper animations here at 5:42
YouTube - FIFA 14: AS Roma Career Mode - Episode #10 - TRANSFER WINDOW & JUVENTUS!

Love how despite being on the roll he still pushed himself over to try stop the second attempt! Quality and this is clearly this games biggest strength, the depth of the animations is impressive, the physics of them have gone up a level. Interesting to see if they implement full cloth and 3D kits next year.

Klash, it is nit picking because, just like now, you have a tendency to pick out a problem in isolation and make sweeping claims based on it. Like that FIFA doesn't represent foot tendencies/preferences. Like that EA aren't interested in simulation. And don't get me started on posting things like people in here aren't interested in features like this; your backhanded compliments and sly little digs can be tiresome.

If you were being objective, not to mention if you'd played the game, you'd know that FIFA does represent foot tendencies/abilities. Is it a perfect simulation? Of course not and I hope further improvements are made in this area. Just the other day I was bothered by how di Maria was able to send in a perfect cross with his right foot. But that has been the exception to the experience rather than the rule.

Weak foot tendencies/abilities is represented, and like Placebo mentioned it's better than it was a couple years ago. And considering that in just about every area of the game EA are making FIFA a more realistic representation of football, there's every reason to think the game will continue to simulate these elements of the game with increasing depth, not the opposite like you enjoy suggesting.

Frankly I couldn't care less how much of a simulation it is, the main thing I'm enjoying above all else is that the COM AI is fantastic.

The offline opponent AI, in terms of player runs, choice of pass etc and ability to keep the ball frankly shits on PES and previous FIFAs from a great height. The AI can retain the ball for long periods and spring your defence out of nothing with a player run you never saw coming. It's not perfect, but miles better than anything made before it.

My big problem with the game is, again, the way dribbling and tacklign work. It's still a case of running to a player instead of position yourself, and there are no fouls at all, so at the end many games end up being tackle fest and end - to - end runs because of this, which most of the times nullifies the effects of dribbling and close control.

If they had a PES type control of the ball and inertia, the game would be amazing. As it is, it's still too arcadey for me.

PS: Get rid of the inch perfect lob through passing, for god sake!

The only area where Fifa doesn't simulate foot preference is in dribbling with the ball, passing, crossing, shooting, is all very well simulated since it received a big improvement with Fifa13, yes it used to be terrible, one of my tests was always a Pete Crouch first time volley cross with his left foot on manual controls, before Fifa13 it would almost always cross perfectly into the box, this is far from the case in 13 and 14 and certainly not the case in 14NG, you have to be very conscious of which foot you're passing/crossing/shooting with.

For me I really don't care which foot a player is supposed to give preference to when he's dribbling with the ball, as long as his weak foot has properly simulated inaccuracy in terms of passing/crossing/shooting and it does.

Cool, seems to show better on manual controls then.

Klash, it is nit picking because, just like now, you have a tendency to pick out a problem in isolation and make sweeping claims based on it.

No, this which i spoke of was a accumulation of a number of issues. I'm just not going to sit here like a troll and derail the thread with lots of negative energy, who really cares about what i hate within the game, if you want to know what i saw and what i dislike and the list of things regarding this thenpm me. This is what I've been doing for a while. pm'ing people when they want to talk to me about FIFA.

Like that FIFA doesn't represent foot tendencies/preferences. Like that EA aren't interested in simulation.

EA are only interested in money! Once they have your money, this it, like it or lump it, same with pretty much every big, horrible, deplorable corporate company.

And don't get me started on posting things like people in here aren't interested in features like this; your backhanded compliments and sly little digs can be tiresome.

Why do you take every negative aspect shown to FIFA as a personal attack on your own ego?

You have failed to even acknowledge how much the game could change if foot preference and tendency levels where implemented further. Instead of entering a debate like Placebo, you end up looking even more of a shill than you do normally.

If you were being objective, not to mention if you'd played the game, you'd know that FIFA does represent foot tendencies/abilities. Is it a perfect simulation? Of course not and I hope further improvements are made in this area.

Weak foot tendencies/abilities is represented, and like Placebo mentioned it's better than it was a couple years ago. And considering that in just about every area of the game EA are making FIFA a more realistic representation of football, there's every reason to think the game will continue to simulate these elements of the game with increasing depth, not the opposite like you enjoy suggesting.

Where did i ask for perfection? Please quote me there, these are things we have seen implemented heavily on PS2 football games, so with the PS4 i'm surprised to see little development on this.

This would worry me because implementing this would need in terms of programming an entire restructure of the dribbling model in FIFA, again with many other factors missing, that is going to take some time to get right. It's not something you can just create an overlay engine on like with Pro passing/tactical defending and first touch which EA have done since FIFA 11 which ends up heavily unbalancing the game rather than build it from the ground up.

This is why i felt compelled to speak about this subject.

Back
Top Bottom