[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

Finding the difficulty settings really frustrating. Playing a career mode full manual with 7-8 min halves... Professional is just too easy, comfortably win every game 3/4-0 rarely conceding a goal.
Up to World Class and the computer becomes near impossible to tackle unless you maneuver yourself in to a position to be running behind them or to the side and out muscle them off the ball. A normal tackle attempt and they read your mind and do annoying sharp turns to avoid you. So unless you are on your A game 100% of the time, you really struggle. Doesn't help that your own players have nowhere near the same reactions/brain as CPU, lots of times the ball goes by them with no attempt from them to get it, so frustrating when you are playing balls and the computer chooses a different player than the one you intended to pass to and even though its goes right by that player, they do not respond.

Tried legendary, and it seems to be slightly fairer (easier) than world class but haven't played enough to properly judge.

Sounds like such a negative post BUT I am actually loving the game... just struggling to find the right settings, maybe adjusting the sliders will help.

I'm in the same boat. I crush opposition on Pro but defending on WC is hard as hell. Playing as Chelsea in my third next gen CM, I score a realistic amount of goals but my defense sucks. I expect to be fired from my third consecutive next gen CM shortly.

Defending on WC reminds me of the problems I was having defending on current gen before they patched it, so I'm really hoping they update next gen to rebalance the difficulty.

I find it hard to imagine that anyone could be solid defensively against the CPU on WC with default settings, so if anyone is able to keep consistent clean sheets, I'd love to hear how they do it.

Anyone know how to limit easy breakaway 1-on-1 chances against the CPU?

I don't know what to do, but every game now the CPU launches long balls to its forwards and they almost always are in wide-open space and create easy scoring chances. I'm Chelsea in my CM but you'd think my backline is a bunch of lower league scrubs or something.

Yeah those videos look great, very close to tv stuff. But I'll never be able to play with that cam. :(

Well I ordered the game, should have the console next week. :D

It is very tough, yes, I've persevered because it looks so good but I'm just not doing well enough with it. If I switch to default cam, which I actually quite like because it's pretty much designed to show off the crowd, then I instantly start stringing passes together and getting shooting opportunities.

Oddly though, when playing on Broadcast, the game feels more realistic, more of a midfield battle, probably because I can't break through their midfield as well. Moving on to other camera angles makes the game feel a bit end-to-end, though still enjoyable.

Im coming to terms with it now on world class, find it hard defending on the default camera angle on the far side of the pitch though.

Im coming to terms with it now on world class, find it hard defending on the default camera angle on the far side of the pitch though.

The default can is a strange one, it's low down to show off the crowds but I'm not a fan of the kind of 'sloping' pitch effect the angle gives off. It's miles better than tele broadcast though, that makes the pitch look way too big. Strange how an angle can make the same thing look so different.

Broadcast makes the pitch look the perfect size, and the space between players looks just right, but it's so hard to play. All I do is pass across the pitch and sometimes get down the wing, as I never have any space, but switch to default camera and I can attack from all angles. Strange!

How do you upload videos to Skydrive?

I have a save i was quite impressed with showing off the randomness of Fifa these days.

The camera issues are actually quite annoying. I found a great custom camera at the Emirates, Tele Broadcast, 4 height, 20 zoom, but then the next game at Stamford Bridge, the camera is really high and far out, with no zoom or height options seemingly working.

No fair :( I can't play on Broadcast because it's too hard, and I think the default camera is too zoomed out and has a weird,slanted angle to the pitch to fit in the crowd. It's the one bad thing about the game so far, that and my appalling skills that is.

I'm in the same boat. I crush opposition on Pro but defending on WC is hard as hell. Playing as Chelsea in my third next gen CM, I score a realistic amount of goals but my defense sucks. I expect to be fired from my third consecutive next gen CM shortly.

Defending on WC reminds me of the problems I was having defending on current gen before they patched it, so I'm really hoping they update next gen to rebalance the difficulty.

I find it hard to imagine that anyone could be solid defensively against the CPU on WC with default settings, so if anyone is able to keep consistent clean sheets, I'd love to hear how they do it.

Defending on default sliders is a bitch.

I realised the other day that although i had been playing on word class difficulty, i had also been playing with assisted controls. I stupidly thought that my default settings (Manual shooting and throughballs, semi assists on everything else)from my FIFA 14 on 360 would carry accross to Xbone. They don't :COAT:. Ever since i changed the assistance levels the game has become even more fecking hard.

Defending on NG is really difficult. The difficulty would be ok if it was just a matter of concentration, timing and skill. However, I am getting a little bit frustrated with the number of times i make a standing tackle, get to the ball only to see it automatically fall into the path of the AI player who I have just tackled where they can keep coming at you. This doesn't seem work in reverse. When the AI tackle you they seem able to win the ball quite cleanly and actually win possession. I don't think this is a major, major problem in the context of the whole experience but there does seem to be a wee bit of an imbalance on world class (I haven't played any other difficulty level though i must confess).

Another thing i am having problems with, and i am more inclined to accept my own culpability here, is player switching when defending. I have finally settled on manual switching but there are occasions where i change and it does not seem to pick up my nearest defender. I click to change but then it selects another defender other than the one i want. It seems to go through a couple of options before settling on the correct one. This has lead me to cop a few goals where is am inadvertantly moving defenders out of position whilst trying to get ahold of the right one to control.

Yep, i think those are two of the three main problems with defending against the CPU. I don't know what's going on with the tackles going right back to the CPU, but it's frustrating for sure. And player switching is a bit of a mess. I'm not bad at selecting the player I need to control, but sometimes the delay in the auto switch when the ball is in the air can be costly.

The other of the three problems, for me at least, is simply getting close to CPU dribblers, especially around the penalty box. Contain doesn't do the trick - you definitely stay with the attacker, for the most part, but it usually doesn't get you close enough to tackle. Then if you try to get close using a combination of sprint, jockey, and the left stick, I'm just as likely to miss by a long shot or concede a penalty than I am to make a successful tackle.

Honestly, these are the only big frustrations at the moment that are kinda dampening the gameplay experience for me, and I'm really hoping they patch to rebalance playing against the CPU, 'cause the difficulty spike going from Pro to World Class is ridiculous.

I just can't stop conceding goals from crosses. If I pre-prepare for the cross by selecting a defender in the middle, I can usually win the header, but if I try and cut out the cross with my full back then switch player as the ball is coming into the box, I'm usually guaranteed to be picking the ball out of the net.

Anyone have any tips on defending headers?

This game calls for a lot of discipline, defensively, and patience. I'm gradually learning that rather than chasing the ball carrier, you have to be content sometimes with letting the COM have possession for a while and always control a spare man, taking up central positions and warching for off the ball runs while closing down using team mates with R1. This way you do eventually win the ball back, mostly, and get to see some great AI while cutting out player runs.

I still can't defend from crosses though.

Last edited:
How do you upload videos to Skydrive?

I have a save i was quite impressed with showing off the randomness of Fifa these days.

You can edit it with upload studio on xbox one and upload it to skydrive from there - then download the skydrive app on android/ios or pc.

The camera issues are actually quite annoying. I found a great custom camera at the Emirates, Tele Broadcast, 4 height, 20 zoom, but then the next game at Stamford Bridge, the camera is really high and far out, with no zoom or height options seemingly working.

No fair :( I can't play on Broadcast because it's too hard, and I think the default camera is too zoomed out and has a weird,slanted angle to the pitch to fit in the crowd. It's the one bad thing about the game so far, that and my appalling skills that is.

I feel u, this camera issue is killing this game for me, period. Its mind bogging we cant set a custom camera angle in a "supposed" next gen game.

Right played with the camera for the first time last night. I hadn't realised the new dynamic* camera was so good.

However how on earth is a manual player supposed to play well on it? Crossing and finishing for near impossible to aim.

I feel that the camera is great, but you need semi settings for it.

*Think its called dynamic camera

Dynamic with which settings? Zoomed fully out? The default is very close to the action. Probably the closest of all the cameras.

Right played with the camera for the first time last night. I hadn't realised the new dynamic* camera was so good.

However how on earth is a manual player supposed to play well on it? Crossing and finishing for near impossible to aim.

I feel that the camera is great, but you need semi settings for it.

*Think its called dynamic camera

Problem is that despite the default camera, all the other cameras will change on a stadium to stadium basis, u cant simply lock the angle anymore.

So when u playe at Goodison ull be locked to the 14/15 height, while at Emirates ull only be able to go as far as 10 height, at Weltdstadion ull be locked to 18 height...

Dynamic with which settings? Zoomed fully out? The default is very close to the action. Probably the closest of all the cameras.

yeah zoomed out and dropped lower to see more of the pitch. I liked it, everything is clear and looks great, but too hard to play accurately on manual. My shooting which is normally very good on manual was atrocious.

I tried Tele Broadcast on several stadiums and the setting of height 10, zoom 20 seems okay for most stadiums AI far. It's a nice camera angle, very similar to the traditional PES camera. It's the best to play on, but you don't see the lovely stadiums and crowds.

I did find the perfect solution, dropping the height do that it's like a zoomed in version of the default camera - the pitch angle doesn't look so sloped, and up can still see the crowds, which is a big thing when goals go in. Trouble is, it only works on a small number of stadiums :(

I might have to stick to either default and get used to it, or Tele Broadcast on the PES style camera.

On a different note, I scored my favourite goal so far last night. The replay doesn't look anything special but it was a team goal on the breakaway that was typical Arsenal, where every player did their real life role to a tee.

Flamini broke up the play deep in midfield, nudged the ball on to Ramsey, who played it up to Giroud, who used his size (and L2!) to hold the ball up, shielding it before slipping a ball to Carzorla, who ran in on goal and crashed a low shot across the keeper and in off the post. Absolutely loved it.

Last edited:
I tried Tele Broadcast on several stadiums and the setting of height 10, zoom 20 seems okay for most stadiums AI far. It's a nice camera angle, very similar to the traditional PES camera. It's the best to play on, but you don't see the lovely stadiums and crowds.

I did find the perfect solution, dropping the height do that it's like a zoomed in version of the default camera - the pitch angle doesn't look so sloped, and up can still see the crowds, which is a big thing when goals go in. Trouble is, it only works on a small number of stadiums :(

I might have to stick to either default and get used to it, or Tele Broadcast on the PES style camera.

Not really, for exemple u cant get height 10 at Goodison(14-15), Weldstadion(18) or Anfield(12), just ones i recall from the top of my head.... there are lots more. Once u get into a career mode ull notice.

I don't get what's the big deal with slight changes in cameras from stadium to stadium. I play with the tele broadcast camera on default settings, and yeah it changes a little depending on where you play, but so what?

Sounds more like a mental issue than anything. Can't see how it's that big a deal.

I don't get what's the big deal with slight changes in cameras from stadium to stadium. I play with the tele broadcast camera on default settings, and yeah it changes a little depending on where you play, but so what?

Sounds more like a mental issue than anything. Can't see how it's that big a deal.

For me its a big deal, but offcourse to each to his own, and thats why EA should give us the option to choose...

Imo it changes evan the game pace, the closer u play the faster/more responsive the game feels... on the other hand on a higher/wider camera u can spot spaces and key passes alot quicker, its a more tactical game, in the end for me it changes a lot how the hole experiences ends up.

I see the custom formation bug is still in next gen whereby if you edit a formation during a match the workrate and offensive/defensive arrows won't save, disappointing they let this kind of shit through to "next gen".

For me its a big deal, but offcourse to each to his own, and thats why EA should give us the option to choose...

Imo it changes evan the game pace, the closer u play the faster/more responsive the game feels... on the other hand on a higher/wider camera u can spot spaces and key passes alot quicker, its a more tactical game, in the end for me it changes a lot how the hole experiences ends up.

EA should def give people the options you mention. I'm just not seeing the camera angles affecting the experience THAT much, but like you said, everyone's different.

Back
Top Bottom