NBA Thread

bird was a small forward. so you are talking non sense. Mchale was the pf in that team and i think it's a tight race between them and sir charles for the best pf all time. i still go for malone though.

and as a matter of fact, being in my late 30es means i had the privilege to watch the lakers celtics rivalry back in the 80es.

but it's just my 2 cents.

6 foot 9 guy that avg 10 boards for his career was not a small forward, he played a unique role on the celtics with him and mchale interchanging positions all along the front court... Larry could play PF or SF ANOTHER reason he was miles better at PF then Malone

Plain and simple Larry bird could play any forward position

wilt, kareem, russel and hakeem for sure. but personally i would also put ewing and robinson ahead of shaq and quite frankly arvidas sabonis in his prime pre nba pre injuries in the 80es was probably the best of the bunch. the guy could pass and shoot like an artist from everywhere and he was a 7.3 almost 300 lb. he went to the nba at the age of 31 and with more injuries that all the other nba players combined and he still managed to put on a few shows. divac another fine case of a player than went to the nba very late and could drive and pass like a pg and with fair refs sacramento could have won a couple of rings.

all the above had better post moves, better passing and better shooting than shaq.

Sabonis!!!!!!!! Now we all know you really don't know much about bball

Shaq was dominat, vlade was a fucking role player. NO ONE could guard shaq!! He didn't need to pass or hit an outside shot!!!! He had dwade and Kobe to do that!!

Sabonis!!!!!!!! Now we all know you really don't know much about bball

Shaq was dominat, vlade was a fucking role player. NO ONE could guard shaq!! He didn't need to pass or hit an outside shot!!!! He had dwade and Kobe to do that!!

you must be kidding right. you probably never watched sabonis in his 20es when he dominated european and olympic basketball. he was drafted in his early 20es but nothing happened, ussr time, things were complicated for a lithunian. no need to mention he is in the hof.

vlade a role palyer? this is a ignorant as bird being a power forward. ask magic johnson about vlade divac...and i do remember well the nba conference final in 2002, vlade and shaq had a tight match up.

don't be american biased. the likes of sabonis and petrovic and divac could have been dominant players if they made it in the nba in their primes or didn't die young in the case of drazen petrovic. they opened the way for the waves of non us players they are playing in the league today.

For all good that Sabonis was (best European center ever), Shaq was A LOT more dominant. I don't think it's much open to debate.

Vlade was a role player and we can't play would have, could have, should have with these what if scenarios, especially when Sabonis and co. didn't face the best competition when they were in their prime. No one knows how well they would have done. Pure Speculation!

For all good that Sabonis was (best European center ever), Shaq was A LOT more dominant. I don't think it's much open to debate.

there is no way to make that comparison fairly, sabonis was in his 30es with all sort of injuries shaq was in his prime. shaq vs robinson, ewing, sabonis in their prime? not even a contest imho.

but i agree, cross generational comparison are just a matter of speculations and trash talk.

especially on dull monday!

play off on their way, i'd say we'll see a few first round game 7!

ps
for those interesting, there a couple of good documentaries about drazen petrovic and the civil war that broke that incredible jugoslavian team (made by vlade divac) and about the lithunian team that took the bronze in barcelona soon after lithunia got rid of the soviet rule. highly recomended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I'm struggling to see a 7th game round.

East
Miami Heat (1) vs. Milwaukee Bucks (8)
New York Knicks (2) vs. Boston Celtics (7)
Indiana Pacers (3) vs. Chicago Bulls (6)
Brooklyn Nets (4) vs. Atlanta Hawks (5)

West
Oklahoma City Thunder (1) vs. Los Angeles Lakers (8)
San Antonio Spurs (2) vs. Golden State Warriors (7)
Denver Nuggets (3) vs. Houston Rockets (6)
Los Angeles Clippers (4) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (5)

TSO predicts
Heat in 4
Knicks in 5
Pacers in 6
Nets in 5

OKC in 5
Spurs in 5
Nuggets in 6
Clipps in 6 (it might go to a 7 though)

East

West

TSO predicts
Heat in 4
Knicks in 5
Pacers in 6
Nets in 5

OKC in 5
Spurs in 5
Nuggets in 6
Clipps in 6 (it might go to a 7 though)

Depends on a lot of things. Celts Knicks has the potential to go 7. Jeff Green has continue his solid play, Bradley has to start making open shots and Terry has to get hot. I don't see any of that happening though. If I had to bet I would say the Clipper series goes to 7. I really don't see any first round upsets this year.

you must be kidding right. you probably never watched sabonis in his 20es when he dominated european and olympic basketball. he was drafted in his early 20es but nothing happened, ussr time, things were complicated for a lithunian. no need to mention he is in the hof.

vlade a role palyer? this is a ignorant as bird being a power forward. ask magic johnson about vlade divac...and i do remember well the nba conference final in 2002, vlade and shaq had a tight match up.

don't be american biased. the likes of sabonis and petrovic and divac could have been dominant players if they made it in the nba in their primes or didn't die young in the case of drazen petrovic. they opened the way for the waves of non us players they are playing in the league today.

i agree about petrovic... but nothing else you have said :)

but bro seriously it is not ignorant for me to say bird was a power forard, cause he was! He played both SF and PF, there is no doubt about that. Vlade Divac could have been born and raised in the LA Forum and he never ever would have been dominant... its not an american bias, hakeem would wipe divac with his ass and he was not from USA...

If you really think that I am biased towards american players in the NBA, well you are right, cause historically and accurately american players are the best in the world... this isnt really up for debate...

I dont consider nash non us, he learend the game in the US, same with ewing essentially...

this is all good nba talk, no offense intended at my brash statements

Love the playoffs!!!

I'm hoping for an upset, and who knows...maybe Bulls or Grizz can pull one off. I'm also very looking forward to a high octane match-up of Nuggets and Rockets...should be very interesting, but I doubt the Rockets will have enough exp in them to get past the 1st round.

Not to dwell on the centre list any longer, but there was an interesting talk from Kenny to Shaq about how Hakeem prepares for games. When its against any other team without a dominant big, he would play team ball, let Kenny and the others get their points first and he'd rack up the assists, rebounds and points here and there. But for games against dominant bigs, like Shaq, Ewing, etc, he would tell them that he needs the ball for the first 3 possessions at least. He needs to go and send a statement. Dominate for the first few possessions to let the other team know that he's there, and then he'd let Kenny and them do their thing. It wasn't in the coaches plans, but just between the players, they'd do that just to send a statement. Truely a great player!!

i think the celtics can beat the knicks. garnett and pierce well rested, green is a hell of a forward, bradley can provide excellent d. there are 7 players that can go easily in double figures.

ney york depends too heavily on perimeter shooting for my liking.

East

West

NY x BOS, IND x CHI, BRO x ATL, and LAC x MEM can go 7 as I see it.

there is one remarkable mistake in our po table. if the lakers beat the rockets tomorrow the lakers will get the 7th place and play the spurs (better conference winning record) and not the thunders. spurs lakers can really go either way if nash is back.

As long as I know, Lakers will be out of the PO if they loose to Houston and Utah wins, so I'll better wait to predict anything.

Should be an interesting game between Rockets and Lakers today! Same with Jazz vs. Grizzlies!

I wonder if we'll see a couple dubious decisions that get LA into the playoffs.....

Should be an interesting game between Rockets and Lakers today! Same with Jazz vs. Grizzlies!

I wonder if we'll see a couple dubious decisions that get LA into the playoffs.....

i think the grizzlies are gonna win so la will be in the po before playing the game.

Technically Memphis and Lakers should win but Utah and Houston are capable of the upset as well depending on how much Houston wants it.

Anyway nice article here:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/04/17/curry-set-to-make-3-point-history/?ls=iref:nbahpts

Steph Curry set to make record with just two 3-pointers tonight. Can he do it? He's only made LESS than three 3-pointers 12 times this season so it would have to be an off night for him not to.

I think he can and hope he does. Good kid.

Shooting .455% and 38% unassisted, he is a 3PT creator with his dribble moves, he can even shoot leaning forward, sideways on the break or whatever.
But I'm biased :P
I'm to Curry what Gomito is to Wall

Looking at the future though, he is one tough guy to find a backcourt partner, it wasn't Ellis and I'm starting to think its not Thompson.

Excited for tonight! 15 games scheduled and although some of them don't mean anything, some of the other ones have interesting sub-plots to them.

This could be Sacramento Kings' last game for example!

I found it interesting that nobody has talked about Doug Collins stepping down from Phillies coach next year either. Apparently tonight is his last game.

Memphis vs. Utah is probably THE game to watch.

But Dallas will want to climb back up to .500 with a win and Chicago will want to clinch 5th seed ahead of Atlanta.

If Utah wins, the Houston vs. Lakers game should be very interesting! but that's a big IF.

lakers-spurs and rockets-okc are way better match up to watch. Similar teams and tighter games for sure.

lakers dominated the rebs, but scored 0 fast break points which i guess is some sort of a record. if nash comes back, gasol-howard can be a pain in a tight po game where point in the paint and pick and roll matter more than ever.

i hope boston will upset the knicks.

Playoff time eventually! and some games on the week end are at a decent time for us europeans.

It's on! The quest for the ring starts tonight at the Madison Square Garden. I'm so pumped and nervous at the same time but confident after all.

BITsRiUCEAA0ATw.jpg

Go NY Go!
torcida.gif

Must remember to cancel League Pass free trial tomorrow night.

Great defence by the Knicks in the second half.

off rebounds and tons of defensive energy gave the knicks a deserved victory,

boston dried up in the 4th. terry had a shitty game 0/9, he missed tons of open shots. that was probably the key factor for boston.

good game-

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom