Movie Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah seen Princess Mononoke and was completely knocked for six, such was it's greatness. honestly, i had heard great things about it but for some strange reason i was a bit apprehentious when i rented it, but oh my god did it not just turn out to be one of the best films i've seen this year! i'll definitely be picking it up on DVD and it may even surpass Ghost in the Shell as my favourite anime film. still yet to see Spirited Away, though if it's up to the same standard as Miyazaki's other works i can't see myself being disappointed.
other highlights of the year (both good and bad) for me:
finding nemo - fell somewhere between toy story and monsters inc in my opinion. which is not a criticism. it made me laugh, and the seagulls nearly made me wet myself.
intacto - an utterly brilliant spanish film all about chance/luck. if you haven't already seen it, go and do so. now.
matrix revolutions - though not without it's faults, this is still a deep, complex and visually mesmeric film that simply demands to be seen. far too many people it seems are all too quick to jump on the "overly critical" bandwagon on this one i feel.
the italian job - okay i guess if you're easily pleased. for the rest of us, spend the extra few quid and get a copy of the original.
bad boys 2 - give the £4.50 (or whatever it costs you to go to your local film emporium) to a friend, and in return have him massacre your eyeballs with a red-hot rusty poker. you'll enjoy it more. michael bay should be strung up by his furry beanbag and towel-whipped to death with the american flag, all to the tune of "God bless America" for being allowed (yet again!) to produce tripe like this.
killbill - fu(king brilliant. i have nothing more to add on this one.
donnie darko - if you still haven't seen the new cult movie of the decade, then go and pick it up now. and don't forget your copy of intacto while you're at it!
the pianist - engrossing, absorbing and empowering stuff. adrian brodie fully deserved his academy award.
punch drunk love - i know, i know, i don't like romanic comedys either, but this is a strangely compelling film that makes you smile rather than laugh out loud. it's hard to put my finger on it (it is on odd movie there's no doubt about that, and a lot of people will really hate it) but it's unusualness and weird humour really make it stand out. you won't see anything like it anywhere else, and it has a great soundtrack. overall a very enjoyable, odd feel-good movie that isn't quite up to P.T Anderson's other masterpiece Magnolia. but then again, what is?

just my thoughts

ive quite a few studio ghibli anime stuff

Grave of the Fireflies
Mononoke
Nauuisca of the wind
Spirited away
porco rosso
kikis delivery service
laputa

all either originals or pressed dvd9s...

GOTF is pretty hard going, a different style of anime more mature dealing with the effects of Hiroshima...

Mononoke is an epic, almost Lotr like with the themes of nature and the new orders clashing.

Nauusica is a great sci fi anime, again with the heavy environmental themes.

not got round to Porco and Kikis yet

spirited away is just a pure magical film, like an anime version of the Alice in Wonderland books...i was captivated from start to finish and felt like a kid again watching it...

my fav anime though id say was Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, great animation, story and action...the fight scenes between Meier Link and D are cracking.

Serial experiments lain is a little out there...takes some following but is another style of anime to check out.

Hellsing is pretty good, full of demons and zombies...bit like if Devil May Cry was a series

Ninja Scroll is another of my favs...its like a good beat em up game, its almost Samurai Shodown the movie if that makes sense to anyone...superb fight scenes and stylish characters.

Ghost in the Shell is worth it for the fight scene in the stealth suit and the fight against the spider tank alone...great Bladerunner style anime...

Streetfighter the animated movie didnt let the game down either, it pulls no punches with great fighting and is very well drawn...compliments the games well and manages to make a decent film out of them...the Ryu vs Fei Long fight gets a perfect.
SF Alpha is decent enough but messes up chars a bit and dosent hold the storyline was well...

Akira is the classic that gets most people into anime, with that drum soundtrack and that bike...a must see though its not my fav overall thats Bloodlust i mentioned before.

cant sleep so im gonna watch somethin else i think

just watched Millers Crossing, A Coen brothers gangster film set in the depression with Albert Finney and Gabriel Byrne...its a nice change of pace from the other gangster films, less action more dialogue with a bit of Coen bros eccentricity thrown in...

fuckit not gonna get some sleep tonight so might as well watch somethin else

Most of that anime I've seen. I have a 'Hong Kong' dvd of hellsing and trigun, and am very keen to watch all of initial D. I've just ordered the UK release of Castle In The Sky (Laputa?), so it'll be interesting to see if it's been given the same treatment.

I've also got all of the Ghost In The Shell series to get through too, it'll be interesting to see how it compares to the film. Ninja Scroll is another which has been given the series treatment, I'm not as anxious to get through it though. SF film, I liked Balrog (vega) vs chun li fight more.

If you're into fansubs I'd recommend Matantei Loki Ragnarok (Demon Detective Loki), a great series.

How do you folk get right into anime tho? I have seen a few films but I often find there's so much stuff available I have no clue what's what and end not pursuing anything.

I have Akira Special Edition, which is great. I've seen Ghost In The Shell, Ninja Scroll and the original Streetfighter anime, that's about it, tho some of the Animatrix maybe counts as well.

I assume you also get these via the 'usual' methods?

ive seen one and its shit. i never ever want to experience it again. thomas the tank engine any day

animesuki normally have good links, but as the stuff is aired on japanese tv people just sub them and seed them via torrents usually.

ClassicD said:
How do you folk get right into anime tho? I have seen a few films but I often find there's so much stuff available I have no clue what's what and end not pursuing anything.

I have Akira Special Edition, which is great. I've seen Ghost In The Shell, Ninja Scroll and the original Streetfighter anime, that's about it, tho some of the Animatrix maybe counts as well.

I assume you also get these via the 'usual' methods?

i wouldnt know where to start either with anime theres loads out there...the stuff ive got are mainly on dvd and are either Pal or region 1, the HK dvds i bought of some dodgy dvd silver seller, was just luck they had the anime and i knew what it was....i started buying videos yrs ago from the Manga section in HMV and just updated most of what i have on video as a dvd...other stuff is just either word of mouth or something ive found when ive been looking for a new anime movie to buy...
so basically checkout the Pal stuff in HMV or wherever first then go on from there i reckon.....import stuff is crazy prices but the region 1 stuff isnt too bad...theres a few i need to get round to buying like Amon Saga and Golgo 13: Queen Bee but not had the spare cash at the mo.

my m8 knows a lot more than me and he recommends some bits or gives me vcds sometime (svcds of The Heroic Legend of Arislan are superb superb)...its all mainstream or more well known anime i have really cos quite simply i havent a clue what stuff there is either...prob a few ppl on here who are into it properly who can point u in the right direction like.

check out the Alien v Predator site

http://www.avp-movie.com

I loved the Predator and Alien movies (except Resurection) and if done right this could be a bit special.So to the people making it DONT FUCK IT UP!!! :twisted:

Watch Ghost In The Shell and Akira if you still haven't seen them Classic, great films everyone should watch.

As for getting into stuff, try a few epsiodes of different anime and see which you like. Any film by Miyazaki is a sure thing, Metropolis is a great newish film.

Seen Ghost In The Shell and own the R1 Collector's Edition of Akira, love both ;). Planning on trying to find the rest of Miyazaki's work, R1 looks the best bet for Spirited Away from what I can tell, and the R1 releases of his other main ones (Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke) also get pretty good write ups.

Once I've seen those I'll start looking at the series', because to say there is a sh­itload is quite the understatement :).

methic said:
hollywood movies are overrrated.....they cover up shit storylines with explosions, murders, and arses.

i remember watching a french comedy, called "the dinner game" i think. fucking hilarious. almost the entire movie was filmed in an apartment.

true! i recommend the hongkong comedy 'god of cookery' really brilliant stuff! absolutely fantastic! anyone seen in yet?

Akira is a classic along with StreetFighter but also another classic anime film has to be 'FIST OF THE NORTH STAR' it was the first Anime film I bought. IT's on VHS aswell :oops:

You can get spirited away, kiki and mononoke on R2 release and all are equally as good as their R1 release.

babs said:
Any film by Miyazaki is a sure thing, Metropolis is a great newish film.

That was on Sky Movies last weekend, it looked like a decent enough film but it clashed with Malcolm. Its recommended then babs?

wow... all the jap anime... dunno bout u all, but i really can't wait for LOTR Return of The King... One more month to go. Can't wait to get my hands on the Extended Edtion of The Two Towers...

Yeah CW, it's inspired by that famous ancient Metropolis silent film, it's very much in Tezuka's style of drawing (e.g. Astro Boy) but it's a really good story and well done.

Anyone into Sci-Fi, Kung Fu, Guns and all round coolness should check Cowboy Bebop..................the best animated series of all time!!!!

cowboy_bebop_3.jpg

For more check the e-mail link in my profile.................. ;)

Saw KillBill last night, thought it was fantastic. I dunno why critics are moaning about the amount of blood in it, the gore isn't squeamish it's feckin hilarious! It's like watching Tenchu Stealth Assassin!

Yeah, i saw it last week and laughed so hard. Stylish and bloody, loved every minute.

Saw KillBill last night, thought it was fantastic. I dunno why critics are moaning about the amount of blood in it, the gore isn't squeamish it's feckin hilarious! It's like watching Tenchu Stealth Assassin!

Totally agree, great movie. I'm really looking forward to Volume 2

I saw Cabin Fever the other night. Was quite good, a few little nods to films like Deliverance and Evil Dead. Silly but quite good fun.

Also Finding Nemo......nowhere near as good as Monsters Inc.

I forgot all about the previous films while watching Nemo, it's perhaps not as sharp and witty as Monsters Inc (which I prefer over Toy Story btw), but it drew me in. I'm a sucker I guess, thought it was a great movie.

Booked my tickets for the new Lord Oft Rings movie last night. Going on the 21st, which is the first Sunday after release with 6 mates.

Cant wait :D

We've been going each christmas time, this year will be no different.

I was watching one of my favourite films yesterday and remembered one of my fave scenes from any film. It's the fight between Kevin Bacon and Gary Oldman in True Romance, the music (Venus) in the background goes perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom