Manchester City Thread

navas is read like child book by other managers and opposing players a long time ago... he could be useful against teams like norwich, fulham or crystal palace. nasri should've been starter instead of him, also lescott or richards instead of demichelis.

was fabregas really off-side? I mean, the replay gone so quick I couldn't see if he was behind clichy.

No, was about a foot onside. Poor decision that.

City have done really well to keep this at 1-0. Partyl wastefulness from Barca, but would certainly have taken a 1-0 when they went down to 10.

very good match :SNACK: , ManCity played some wonderful stuff. Barca aren`t the drama queens like in the past,but they withstood under the most pressure and Valdes made a shop window performances.

Strange 2 see Pique gesturing to the ref NOT to book, The Beast for fouling him. :SHOCK:

So annoying.

I was right across from the linesman and could see clearly that it wasn't a penalty. He should have the balls to correct the ref. Looked like Navas was clipped in the buildup as well but didn't see it too well.

With that said ...well, what can be said about Demichelis? He should have a bit of faith in Hart. Yes, Messi probably would have scored but at least it's still 11 vs 11. Unfortunately, Lescott is just as crap.

Kolarov looked completely out of place and was a selection mistake on Pellegrini's part. Could see the logic in playing him but he never got into any dangerous positions. Backs up my view that it has been Nasri that has made him look decent this season.

Proud of most of our players tho. Kompany, Silva and Fernandinho were top class and Nasri was great when he came on. Thought we did well overall given the circumstances and could have scored a couple in the 2nd half. It's shame Aguero was out because he's the type to pop up with an equaliser.

At 0-1 I was quietly hopeful for the 2nd leg. That 2nd goal tho has almost certainly killed the tie. Frustrating, but you've got to hand it to Barca, they keep the ball so well. Just can't help but feel that with 11 we could have taken a decent result to the Nou Camp :(

Probably not a penalty, but you can totally understand why it was given. At full speed, it's a matter of inches and it was so clearly a foul. Plus that weird wording of 'continuing into the area' makes it vague.

Made up for it a bit later by not allowing the 2nd goal, clearly onside.

So many refereeing mistakes again...

Tight game indeed, Demichelis is to blame as you say. The play definitely seemed a penalty live and from the position of the ref and the linesman was very hard to see it was out. There was a legit goal disallowed to Barça, though. And the cards logic, I really couldn't get it in the first half.

Anyway I think it wasn't totally deserved for us tonight and City proved to be a tough and intense team, capable of anything. I felt Nasri should have started the game, Pellegrini decided to give the ball, I wasn't expecting such a deffensive strategy at first.

Let's see what heppens at Barcelona, it's not over though Barça is favorite, but complacency is one of the problems we have and maybe if City goes full attack may really disrupt us. PSG and Bayern showed how to do it last season.

For all the Valdes doubters, another night at the office.

Good luck for the reverse match, guys!

Yea, it's certainly not the first time you see a free kick be given as a penalty with the players both sliding well into the box but from where I was it looked at least a yard outside. I might have eagle eyes tho :SMUG:

Seen the Fabregas call now and, yea, it was onside. Still, that happened quite a while after the pen decision ...then again, Messi might have slotted that in just as easily as the pen heh.

Not totally given up hope if we're at full strength. We'll be under no pressure at all and as you say Barca may take the result for granted. Stranger results have happened

I never understood why the English press took it for granted that City would go through...haven't seen the match, so i can't comment...

There was a legit goal disallowed to Barça, though.

1743499_232874176836578_2133534968_n.jpg

true he was onside..

Yea, it's certainly not the first time you see a free kick be given as a penalty with the players both sliding well into the box but from where I was it looked at least a yard outside. I might have eagle eyes tho :SMUG:

Seen the Fabregas call now and, yea, it was onside. Still, that happened quite a while after the pen decision ...then again, Messi might have slotted that in just as easily as the pen heh.

Not totally given up hope if we're at full strength. We'll be under no pressure at all and as you say Barca may take the result for granted. Stranger results have happened

I always keep in mind the Deportivo - Milan CL match for such occasions.

Looks like Pelligrini is being a sore loser, I never thought he was like that?

He should be proud of what City did w/ 10 men. He knows Barça more then most managers. Pellegrini is panicking the pressure of the English media might be a little too much to bare. Fabregas is such a good player :WORSHIP:

He's right about the game changing pen but he didn't need to start bringing up past games etc. He's upset but should keep that kind of stuff private.

Surprised to read that the ref hadn't done a game in over 3 months. Not very smart

Last edited:
He's right about the game changing pen but he didn't need to start bringing up past games etc. He's upset but should keep that kind of stuff private.

Surprised to read that the ref hadn't done a game in over 3 months. Not very smart

Does it really matter that he hadn't had a game in 3months?

If an architect is off work for 3months does it matter? that goes for every other profession. Surely he is there to interpret the rules of the game and act on them the best way he sees fit, did the rules change much in 3months?

If you said 2years or something it might have been a problem, but the only thing would be fitness after 3months and I don't think any of his decisions were due to being unfit?

I think it was silly of Pelligrini to react like that and call the ref into question in such a way, Mourinho did the same thing not so long ago and look how that turned out.

The ref made two major mistakes one for both teams end of story, he didn't favour Barcelona and him also questioning him being from Sweden is ridiculous also.

I thought Pelligrini had more class, but in saying that many mangers have been caught up in saying stupid things in the past including Wenger :DD

An architect doesn't have to rely on being sharp in a dynamic environment like a football match. I'd expect such a big game in UEFA's flagship competition not to put in the hands of a ref who has been twiddling his thumbs for 3 months.

Navas fouled and no pen. 2 mistakes on his part that ended up killing the game for us.

The linesman gave the offside. The damage was already done before that.

Well, the ref was weak but so was City. City should believe more in their own quality rather than giving the initiative freely to Barcelona. Barcelona is good, but Bayern showed everyone how weak they can be if pressured and City has a formidable offensive force if they apply it.

An architect doesn't have to rely on being sharp in a dynamic environment like a football match. I'd expect such a big game in UEFA's flagship competition not to put in the hands of a ref who has been twiddling his thumbs for 3 months.

I agree. It's not that the ref made any very bad calls, but more that UEFA leave themselves open to questions if refs haven't been reffing competitive games for 3 months. It's not just fitness it's also judgement, if he is being tested week in week out by having to judge tight calls then his more likely to be sharper. Put it another way, would you want someone in charge of a formula one car or air traffic control on their own if they hadnt done it for months? Ideally you wouldn't, especially if there were alternative drivers or air traffic controllers who had just driven a fast car or done atc last week.

As I say I've no major qualms with Eriksson last night, but why take the risk of someone out of practice in the most high profile competition in Europe. There are a whole load of European leagues (even ones with winter breaks) who they could have taken refs from for last nights match - Germany, Italy, France, Holland, Belgium, Turkey, why not take one of those and then re-integrate the refs from long winter break countries (Russia, Ukraine, Scandinavia) at quarter finals stage.

Depends whether you count Demichelis as a defender or not :P

Thank fuck we got the goal. Didn't think it'd come, especially after Jovetic comes on and then goes off injured in the space of 5 mins :(

SHould have scored again but Dzeko missed an open net.

What a goal by Yaya! Well deserved the title. Also a great goal by Nasri and btw, how many titles he have now since he left Arsenal? :P

:WASTED:

Fair play to the Sunderland fans they were great today. Had a beer with a few and were reminiscing about City's title win :D. They did the Poznan infront of Utd fans that day but they shouldn't have done it against us so early :))

At half time I was thinking Wigan all over again! What a goal by Yaya to get us back in it! And Nasri's was a beauty with the outside of his foot... biggest point in the game tho was Kompany's amazing last-ditch tackle on Borini before HT. What a man!

Could have a moan about Dzeko, Demichelis and the ref being a bit too forgiving of Sunderland players diving in but I won't, there's no point we won in the end and picked up the 1st trophy of the season.

Happy for Samir, he was loving it. Hopefully we can kick on now with Fern, Nasri and Kun all back fit. Negredo hasn't looked the same without Kun either. If we can start firing in the goals again we've got every chance of a possible treble. We're going to be under pressure to win all our games in hand. I find it ridiculous that by the time we play again in the PL we will have 4 games in hand!

Anyway, highlight for me today was Panty legging it up the pitch to celebrate the 3rd :LOL:
tumblr_inline_n1teyaKB5S1ro2om5.gif

Back
Top Bottom