Manchester City Thread

The FA Cup and the league are far apart. I`d not call Capital One Cup part of the treble. Technically it is ,but the FACup,League and CL Trophy are a more along the lines of a treble.

I have a feeling City might nick it over two matches. I'm predicting 2-1 and 1-1 in Barcelona.

It seems as if everybody takes it for granted that City will go through...that is strange... i have a feeling that City will get a serious reality check...Barcelona still has players like Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Alexis Sanchez, Neymar and Messi.

Barcelona have the better GK.
Piqué is still a better player than Kompany.
The Barcelona midfield is better too.

As a matter of fact what Citty players would get a starting place in this Barcelona team ? Aguëro (perhaps).
Kompany (perhaps)
Touré ? Don't think so, he left Barcelona because he was not a regular...
Perhaps Zabaleta (most underestimated player in Europe imo) and Fernandinho (but i'm not sure about him, i guess so because a player like that is the glue of evey big team).

Silva, Kompany, Yaya, Aguero, Zabaleta would have an argument.

Anyway, with or without Aguero, I'd gladly take a 0-0 draw at home. We're capable of scoring at the Nou Camp

Last edited:
It seems as if everybody takes it for granted that City will go through...that is strange... i have a feeling that City will get a serious reality check...Barcelona still has players like Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Alexis Sanchez, Neymar and Messi.

Barcelona have the better GK.
Piqué is still a better player than Kompany.
The Barcelona midfield is better too.

As a matter of fact what Citty players would get a starting place in this Barcelona team ? Aguëro (perhaps).
Kompany (perhaps)
Touré ? Don't think so, he left Barcelona because he was not a regular...
Perhaps Zabaleta (most underestimated player in Europe imo) and Fernandinho (but i'm not sure about him, i guess so because a player like that is the glue of evey big team).

Toure not being a regular in Barca doesn't mean anything. Guardiola just preferred Busquets for his own reasons, but certainly not better than Toure.

As much as i like Silva (and i like him a lot), i don't think he would play often for Barcelona.
Anyway, the only thing i wanted to illustrate is that for English people and press it seems as if there is no doubt whatsoever that City will eliminate Barcelona...i'm tempted to consider Barcelona as favourites...but may the best team win...i hope it gets decided in the second leg, because i can't see the first...

Hey guys, you already have Chemical Brothers, Badly Drawn Boy, Joy Division, New Order, James, Starsailor, The smiths, Morrisey, Simply Red, The Verve and Oasis.

I can't think of any band from Barcelona that you would agree to make it into that starting eleven. So, give us the win tonight and we're fair, okay?

I don't think Silva would have many problems at Barca, or any team in the world for that matter. In fact i fear losing him to Barca in the summer. In my view, he is the best and most Barca-esque footballer on these shores.

I agree with you about the game tho. Barca are favourites, and not just on ability alone.

Hey guys, you already have Chemical Brothers, Badly Drawn Boy, Joy Division, New Order, James, Starsailor, The smiths, Morrisey, Simply Red, The Verve and Oasis.

I can't think of any band from Barcelona that you would agree to make it into that starting eleven. So, give us the win tonight and we're fair, okay?

How do you ignore The Stone Roses?

You can have Starsailor and SImply Red for a 0-0 draw :))

Stone Roses (how could I miss them!) are in the bench, or do you plan to play with 12? Besides, Simply Red as GK was my trojan horse to allow us an easy win...

Barcelona have better kepeer? Last time I saw them playing there was valdes when did they change keeper ?

And piqué isn't better than kompany at all , piqué it's overrated , silva could play for ANY team in the world as starter right now. Sturridge wasn't Chelsea starter either but he's better than all Chelsea strikers right now ;)

toure is much more than just a dm, if he'd be willing to fit that busquets role in barça that'd be some waste of talent. he's obviously a better football player than busquets but busquets is much more important for barça's system, not necessarily being inferior to toure talent-wise but doing what he does best. he might be the best out there at his role.

barça>city doesn't mean busquets>toure. toure is great at city, busquets is great at barça. end of story. :)

Barcelona have better kepeer? Last time I saw them playing there was valdes when did they change keeper ?

Valdes has been the goalkeeper with less goals against for years in Spain and one of the best in Europe.

But because numbers sometimes don't tell half the story, he has been awarded as best goalkeeper in Spain for years by both the players and the press. And to the point that he has taken Casillas place in the national squad.

You can post whatever you feel that tops this by Hart. Both are top goalkeepers, but Valdes has been proven in all sorts of scenarios and Hart doesn't.

Most of the Valdes haters come from England or are Premier League fans. I'm still trying to stablish the connection as to why is this, when Valdes was absolutely key on preventing 2 English teams (one of them twice) from winning the CL.

Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe I haven't seen each and every match he has played in the last 6 years while you, occasional viewers, are absolutely right.

On the other side, Silva is class and would be a starter in any team, except probably Chelsea. I don't think you can compare Kompany and Pique as they are great but different style of defenders. I don't think one could do what the other does.

I think ManCity will win , if they keep the play out wide and aerial attack. They can not play short passes around the box. Barça will be provoked and allows them to redeploy their arsenal.

toure is much more than just a dm, if he'd be willing to fit that busquets role in barça that'd be some waste of talent. he's obviously a better football player than busquets but busquets is much more important for barça's system, not necessarily being inferior to toure talent-wise but doing what he does best. he might be the best out there at his role.

barça>city doesn't mean busquets>toure. toure is great at city, busquets is great at barça. end of story. :)

Tbf? I don't like Biscuits. I'd take Flamini over him any day.

Valdes has been the goalkeeper with less goals against for years in Spain and one of the best in Europe.

But because numbers sometimes don't tell half the story, he has been awarded as best goalkeeper in Spain for years by both the players and the press. And to the point that he has taken Casillas place in the national squad.

You can post whatever you feel that tops this by Hart. Both are top goalkeepers, but Valdes has been proven in all sorts of scenarios and Hart doesn't.

Most of the Valdes haters come from England or are Premier League fans. I'm still trying to stablish the connection as to why is this, when Valdes was absolutely key on preventing 2 English teams (one of them twice) from winning the CL.

Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe I haven't seen each and every match he has played in the last 6 years while you, occasional viewers, are absolutely right.

On the other side, Silva is class and would be a starter in any team, except probably Chelsea. I don't think you can compare Kompany and Pique as they are great but different style of defenders. I don't think one could do what the other does.

he has been the keeper with lass goals against but who wont be at that barca team who keep ball for like 70+% and doesn't let oponents to attack at all special some years ago... I feel like even me could be a "great" keppe for Barca back in those days.

I dont rate Hart , at one point I thought he was great and its one of best in the world but I understood I was wrong , but I think Hart and Valdes are same level goalkeepers , if Hart was at barca team I think he would even be better than Valdes.

for me Barca has lack in goalkeeper all this years and I never understood why they keep spending money on players they dont need (song) and not buy a world class goalkeeper , Barca with a keeper like Casillas would have been great.

and for Kompany and Pique compare was Gerd who said that , so if I have to pick one of those 2 I will pick Kompany any day of the week , Pique its overrated in my opinion and just because of Barca/Spain style of game he has been this succsesful , they doesnt let much work to defenders and those time they do seems like they fucked up most of times!

Rumour that Kolarov may be starting on the left so the strategy mat well be to test Barca's ability to deal with whipped in crosses.

If we start with Dzeko and Negredo tho I think we as well forfeit the tie

Anyway, I'm off to the game. Should be entertaining. May the best team on the night win! (or if City are 2nd best may the 2nd best team win! :P)

Last edited:
Valdes is the second best GK in La Liga at the moment Alex.
Courtois is clearly better imo.
As a matter of fact i think Courtois is among the two best GK's in the world. The other is Neuer. Neuer has played more big matches, so i think he should be rated higher, but i don't see a single other GK who is better than Courtois at the moment...

But yes, Valdes is a seriously underrated GK.

Barca have lost 2 and drawn 2 of their last 4 trips to Manchester. So it's not like they love playing in England.

I think City are well prepared to deal with Barca's threat. The only worry for City should be if as a team they're overawed by the opponent. But it's not like any of the players or coaches are 'local lads' who've never been exposed to this kind of pressure. They've all been bought as full internationals, many with champions league experience under their belts.

Should be a great match. I think it'll be 2-1 to City in this leg, but that Barca will overwhelm them at the Nou Camp.

Back
Top Bottom