Manchester City Thread

I doubt it. We need to replace Garcia and sign a CB. We don't even need a GK imo.

I wouldn't mind one of Tiote, Matuidi, Song.

For CB, I don't know of that many tbh, at least not many that wouldn't cost stupid money, like Mangala an Hummels

Have bought best squad, finally consistently showing it. The entire front 6 are all 30m players, as was the sub when one went off. It's a genuine all star team of talent, now the coach has them playing like it. Each player was one of the very best at their previous teams, and finally they're combining well.

That attacking play was absolutely scintillating. Some of the best stuff I've seen in the premier league, period.

If they can sort out their away form, this City team will likely be one of the best in premier league history. In terms of talent across a 25 man squad, I think it already is. As much as I don't agree with the way it was built and the implications to a 'league', it's definitely more attractive than what Mourinho built at Chelsea with the first round of financial doping.

Makes you seriously question Mancini's ability last season, and the season before. It's worth noting that if Fergie hadn't brain-farted and played a second string team against Wigan, City would have let their league title go that year too.

Last edited:
Never thought I'd see you claim that City have gotten a load of bargains!

Actually any player City buys is a bargain, because a bargain is defined by its opportunity cost - ie - what you could have had with your budget instead.

City don't have a budget. There's no such thing as a bad buy. Write it off, start again. Who cares if Adebayor and Dzeko didn't really work out at 60m for the pair, it doesn't prevent you from signing Aguero and Negredo.

It wasn't me who exagerated about Joe Hart being a world class gk, this one is even worse...Begovic would indeed be an excellent GK for City. With him they are indeed favourites for the title.

He is and I'm sure he'll prove himself again.

Saying Arsenal could have got 3 or 4 more if they had been alert is just living in fantasy land. Panty isn't a great keeper by any means but these spills you're referring to were in safe positions with the exception of the 2nd half flap

Last edited:
Actually any player City buys is a bargain, because a bargain is defined by its opportunity cost - ie - what you could have had with your budget instead.

City don't have a budget. There's no such thing as a bad buy. Write it off, start again. Who cares if Adebayor and Dzeko didn't really work out at 60m for the pair, it doesn't prevent you from signing Aguero and Negredo.

A bargain is paying under the market rate.

If all 6 of our front players are 30m players and yet only 2 cost that much then we have 4 bargains.

A bargain is paying under the market rate.

If all 6 of our front players are 30m players and yet only 2 cost that much then we have 4 bargains.

I was rounding slightly. Stop being facetious, they all cost close enough to 30m. When you add Aguero and Fernadinho's overage, it probably rounds to 30m a piece.

And it's not market rate when only you are able to pay it. It's sugar daddy rate. As you've bemoaned in the past, City pay more because they have no budget.

I don't think 8m is going to double Navas' price, same goes for Negredo who cost only a bit more. Only Fern and Aguero has cost 30m or more. Rounding up? My arse

You only post in here after a good City win in order to jibber on about £££. You're obsessed with it.

Pretty sure not only us can pay 30m. You've splashed out on more 30m players than us and there are others. We used to overpay, mostly in the Hughes era. Those days are gone

I don't even want to talk about money but I'm not just gonna sit here whilst you go on your little routine. Maybe I should tho

I just paid your team a compliment. I believe this is the most talented group of 25 players in premier league history. Will they win everything? Hard to tell. But in terms of assembling a vast array of talent - each hand plucked from decent sized teams around Europe at great expense - the project is now complete imo.

Mistakes have been made and paid for (saw Santa Cruz scoring for Malaga today) and now you've managed to create a massively deep attacking unit. Undeniably the best I've ever seen in terms of talent and depth.

We'll see what happens next with City. As I understand it, the plan has always been to develop the best ELITE youth program so that you don't have to buy 3 internationals every year, but who knows. Chelsea said the same thing, and Mourinho is practically holding out his cap begging for Roman's scraps right now.

Do I think the 'project' has been successful in building a dream team of quality that is finally starting to gel? Yes I do. But how can you mention in one breath how good a team looks and not in the other mention that they've spent about 5x as much as their opponent in the last 6 years - and that opponent is an English 'giant' who is currently leading the league? It's that disconnect I just struggle to make.

Fair enough you gave a compliment but it comes off as backhanded when you start exaggerating (or "rounding up") how much the players cost. Navas cost closer to 10m if you're rounding things. Negredo, Nasri, Silva, Yaya closer to 20 than 30. And, well, I don't know how Milner's price should be quantified considering it was 16m or 17m + Ireland, who was at the time decent but probably close to worthless since.

I'm quite happy to talk finances and football, since economics is an interest of mine, weirdly, but not (seemingly at least) after every very good (or very bad) result

how can you mention in one breath how good a team looks and not in the other mention that they've spent about 5x as much as their opponent in the last 6 years

Ok,but have you done this for any club other than City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Real (basically clubs you're not very susceptible to liking)? Ever done it for Utd after a good result and performance (I know it's been a while!)? Did you do it when you were shitting out money for the likes of Veron? Did you celebrate the Treble with a calculator in your hand? ;)

Last edited:
If clubs like United and Arsenal hadn't create dat glass ceiling (with the G14), then City wouldn't have neder a sugar daddy to break into the top.
Like i said dozens of times: todays' "victims" created the sugar daddies.

If clubs like United and Arsenal hadn't create dat glass ceiling (with the G14), then City wouldn't have neder a sugar daddy to break into the top.
Like i said dozens of times: todays' "victims" created the sugar daddies.

Don't disagree with that. We'll see what happens longer term. I wonder if we'll look back in 10 years and laugh at Mansour/Abramovich just throwing away a billion pounds on a sports team.

Still, can't wait for Liverpool v City now - the two are in absolutely awesome form attacking wise. Should be a great match.

i would take a draw, definetly... for LFC it would be great if a difference between fourth and fifth place was higher, at least 10 points would make me calm.

No Aguero will be a boost for you but it might make it more difficult with an extra midfielder coming in and in turn free up Nasri and Silva even more.

Should be a good game. The 2 best teams in terms of GD

Sergio looks like being out for 6 weeks according to the press :CRY:

Fullham-away
Liverpool-home
Crystal Palace-home
Swansea-away
Newcastle-away
Cardiff-home
Tottenham-away

That's a lot of games to miss :(

Time for Jovetic to get fit and stay fit.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm gonna miss seeing Aguero play every week, he's a joy to watch and you're lucky to have him... :)

That glass ceiling thing, when used as an excuse to explain oil barons investment in the Premier League, is a falacy. Nobody raised a "glass ceiling" in France, yet the sugar daddies still appeared there taking over PSG and Monaco.

Calling 30m pound signings "bargains" is a hell of a stretch now, isn't it?

Like beachryan said, credit to the people in charge at Man City for not making it Chelsea Mk.II, but building a team with an attractive style instead.

But even if one or two players cost 8 or 10m pounds, no way you can call the other bargains. Fernandinho did pretty well against Arsenal, but he hasn't shown he's worth all the money they paid for him.

Paulinho is still better value for money IMO. Having said that, Big Phil is just plain ignorant leaving Fernandinho out of Brazil's full squad. Hopefully he does make it before the WC, along with our brilliant playmaker wonderkid Coutinho.

That glass ceiling thing, when used as an excuse to explain oil barons investment in the Premier League, is a falacy. Nobody raised a "glass ceiling" in France, yet the sugar daddies still appeared there taking over PSG and Monaco.

Come one Rentboy, you must know better than that.
In a globalized world nobody cares about the national level. Do you really think that those sugar daddies invested in PSG and Monaco in order to win Ligue 1 and nothing more than that ?

Football nowadays is only about the CL and nothing but the CL. The national league is nothing more than the road to the CL.

Wait what will happen when the next television contract will be up for talks in France. PSG, Monaco, Lyon and maybe Lille will ask a bigger share of the money or will else threaten to negotiate their own contract...

Calling 30m pound signings "bargains" is a hell of a stretch now, isn't it?

Like beachryan said, credit to the people in charge at Man City for not making it Chelsea Mk.II, but building a team with an attractive style instead.

But even if one or two players cost 8 or 10m pounds, no way you can call the other bargains.

Come on, you're not dumb. You read what I posted

Barca running scared :COOL:
City_2766747a.jpg

Last edited:
Worse possible opponent for both clubs, I think. The physicallity of Man City can be key in the first match, but if come alive from it and we can recover Messi, Xavi and Iniesta at 100% for the second leg we can edge you. I think both teams suffer deffensively so we may witness a lot of goals.

Best luck to you guys... in the premier! ;)

Last edited:
Will be dependant on Barca's fitness. They get more of a rest over xmas than English clubs, and hopefully Messi has had time to recover fully.

If so I can see Barca winning. But if not, City will definitely score goals so it'll be really tight.

Could be City's 'coming of age' European tie.

City are incredible beach, they beat Bayern away and scored 6 against a very good Arsenal team.

with Barcelona's defence I wouldn't be surprised if they run riot.

Back
Top Bottom