Manchester City Thread

Still crappy in defense without Clichy and Kompany tho

Garcia, Lescott and Kolarov? Never has there been a slower defense.

Last edited:
Some interesting statistical comparisons with regards to Fernandinho.

(The statistics used are from WhoScored and based on the 2012/13 UEFA Champions League)

As with any midfielder, passing is 1 of, if not the, most important tools of the trade. Fernandinho has an 86.2% pass success rate from 8 appearances. That compares extremely fairly to his expected competitors at Man City – Barry has 86.4% from 4 apps, Toure 86.1% from 5, Garcia 90% from 5.

While Barry and Garcia have better pass success rates than Fernandinho and Toure, the former duo spend most of their games away from the final third. Barry and Garcia do not often have to attempt a penetrative pass further forward, while Fernandinho and Toure do, hence it is only logical that it would be much easier for Barry and Garcia to log higher passing rates – most of their passes are “safe passes” just to keep the ball moving along when City have possession .

In terms of “key passes”, Fernandinho averaged 1.3 per match. While Barry averaged 0.8, Toure 1, and Javi Garcia 0.2. This is in line with the aforementioned point of passing rates, though they have their uses, not being the be all and end of studying any midfielder.

While Fernandinho does have the ability to start attacks with his passing ability, he is also able to use his athleticism to dribble forward as well. With 3.9 successful dribbles per game, Fernandinho’s stats in this aspect dwarfs those of Toure (1), Barry (0.3) and Garcia (-). In fact, in the 2012/13 Champions League Group Stage, the Brazilian was ranked 3rd in WhoScored’s list of “Players with the most successful dribbles per game”.

Where direct tackling is concerned, Fernandinho made 3.3 successful tackles per game while Toure made 1.4, Barry 2.3 and Garcia 1.4.

The Brazilian’s tackling stats put him ahead of the likes of Ramires (3.2), FC Porto stalwart Lucho Gonzalez (3.2), Nemanja Matic (3) and Michael Carrick (2.7). Now on to defending, where Fernandinho has shown his ability to intercept the ball, with his 3.5 interceptions per game being on par with the likes of Nigel de Jong and slightly better than the likes of Blaise Matuidi (3.3), Ignacio Camacho (3.3) and Benfica’s impressive Nemanja Matic (3). For comparison’s sake, Toure made 2.4 interceptions per game, Barry 1.3 and Garcia 1.2.

A bargain at just 34m!

(I do think he'll be a good signing, but that would have been an English record signing not so long ago, from shaktar!)

Teams for tonight:

Neuer
Lahm Martinez Dante Alaba
Schweinsteiger
Robben, Thiago, Kroos, Ribery
Müller

Pantilimon
Zabaleta Kompany Boyata, Clichy
Milner Fernandinho Barry Nasri
Jovetic
Negredo

I fear a battering :CRY:

So how much is he overpriced by then?

He's never played in one of Europe's big leagues (though looked good in a few CL matches)
He's 28 this year (so no sell on value)
He's barely been capped by his home nation (admittedly Brazil)

Listen, I think he looked great against Chelsea and maybe he'll be awesome.

But 30m is a huge fee. That's Berbatov/Tevez/Hazard/Rooney/Ferdinand/Toure territory.

He would be Manchester United's second most expensive signing in history, or double Arsenal's most expensive.

Just saying.

I'm late from yesterday's game - Milan never take friendlies seriously and never will. It's all for money. Our lineup was a joke too just to get 11 players on the field. No point basing performance on friendlies. And plus, we managed to bag 3 against City who had a more complete team than us.

The game did what it intended - entertain. I really like Kolarov and think the press take the piss a bit with him when they always assume he'd leave for peanuts, this guy has bullet boots and his shots can probably kill some one a la Riise.

I think the penalty decision was correct tbh. such lack of awareness/carelessness in penalty area deserves punishment imo.

lol It was behind his head!

Anyway, I was quite happy with our performance once Barry went off. He'll be useful at home in the PL against the lesser teams, but against better opposition like Bayern, Barca etc. he's far too slow.

The 2nd half was more even and until they got the dodgy pen it looked like we were going to grab a few more. We should have had a few more anyway having created more clear chances, and without Silva.

Negredo took his goal well but should have had a hat trick. Nasri looked good. Navas is very dangerous and Kompany was immaculate.

Clearly Boyata nor Garcia are good enough so we need to sign a good CB. If we do I'll be very optimistic about our chances in CL. Fingers crossed for a better draw than the previous 2 years!

Who'd have thought that come the start of the 13/14 season City would be the most stable and settled club of the entire top 6? :LOL:

Next on, Manuel

smileys-passing-joint.gif

Aaaah

Negredo is a beast! a bit clumsy but nonetheless.I like Fernadinho he looks good too. Does ManCity have any young prospects? Arsenal had a 16yr old ,18yr old and a trialist young player on the pitch.

I think ManCity did us no favours be losing :COAT:

-----------Hart-------------

Zaba--Kompany--Lescott--Clichy

-------Ferna-----Yaya-------

Navas------------------Silva

-------Aguero--Dzeko--------

Come on, City!

Good lord what a first (edit) match from City. Breathtaking stuff.

Shows what you can do with an excellent manager, and a billion bux worth of talent.

Obviously early days, but that was a large statement of intent.

Last edited:
It'll be a trillion after we dismantle you again in a few weeks!

Top of the table all season this time around!

Last edited:
last night's game was the best match city ever played in lasz 2 years.

pellegrini is master professor of fotball for that flop mancini.

Back
Top Bottom