Manchester City Thread

Man City goalkeeper Trautmann, famous for playing on with broken neck in 1956 FA Cup Final, passes away aged 89

Legendary Manchester City goalkeeper Bert Trautmann has died at the age of 89, it has been announced.
Trautmann, who is understood to have suffered two heart attacks this year, passed away on Friday morning at his home in La Losa, near Valencia.
The former German prisoner of war will always be remembered for helping City win the FA Cup in 1956 despite playing for the last 17 minutes with a broken neck.

article-0-028780FF000005DC-827_634x418.jpg

YouTube - Bert Trautmann 1923-2013

article-2370217-01BB3D140000044D-78_634x448.jpg

article-2370217-01BB3C730000044D-851_634x440.jpg

A Manchester City statement read: 'Bert Trautmann, one of the greatest Manchester City goalkeepers of all time and a true Club legend, has passed away aged 89, his son has today confirmed.
Perhaps there is no greater tribute than that of the one Lev Yashin once gave of Trautmann. The Russian keeper, regarded by many as the greatest goalkeeper of all time, said, when asked to name the greatest goalkeeper ever he replied 'There have only been two world-class goalkeepers. One was Lev Yashin, the other was the German boy who played in Manchester: Trautmann.
'A true legend in the true sense of the word and a wonderful ambassador for not only his country, but Manchester City Football Club.
'Bert will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him and the football world in general.'

article-2370217-0006F2AA00000C1D-586_634x502.jpg

article-2370217-1AE410B7000005DC-399_634x514.jpg

He went on to make more than 500 appearances for City and then had a brief spell in management before working for the German FA to promote football in countries like Burma, Tanzania and Pakistan.
Trautmann retired in 1988 and set up home in Spain with his third wife Marlis. In 2004 he was honoured with an OBE to go with his Iron Cross.
Trautmann drew on his unique experience in an interview with MailOnline last year when he condemned FIFA for refusing England players to wear a poppy on their shirts against Spain.
He said: ‘I would have ignored FIFA completely. They should have stayed out of it and let the FA do what they wanted, as long as Spain agreed.
'I always wear a poppy when I'm in England in November. Who objects to it? It doesn't cause offence to anybody. Germans have no problem with it.
'It's important to remember what happened in the past.’

article-2370217-0010330700000258-196_634x614.jpg

Former City goalkeeper Joe Corrigan paid tribute to Trautmann, saying: ‘My dad told me about this magnificent goalkeeper City had called Bert Trautmann and thereafter I started to collect clippings about him and wanted to find out everything I could about this German.
‘Bert became my hero and though I didn’t get to see him play that often and only saw grainy clips of him on Pathe News bulletins at the cinema, even as a kid I knew he was special.
‘In later years I would meet Bert and discover for myself what a terrific guy he was and when I was having a difficult time in City’s first team and conceded a goal from the halfway line, he made a point of finding me after the game to offer some words of comfort.
‘Bert was a fantastic man and was one of the greatest goalkeepers of all-time and I’m proud to have called him both a friend and a mentor.’
Ex-Arsenal stopper Bob Wilson tweeted: 'Sad news. My hero #BertTrautman, the gt Man C gk has died. Amazing man who helped bring our warring countries closer together. Thank u Bert'

An amazing life. RIP Bert.

Im so curious how Navas will handle his new home. plz keep us updated , from a supporter`s perspective . Im sure having a few countrymen helps.

Add in Fernandinho..good summer's business imo!

Also, nice to see the airport swarming as is typical when big clubs travel to exotic locales:

BPyY7ERCEAEljwJ.jpg

Crazy, Pellegrini has only been in charge of city for a month and already has better english than mancini :LOL:

haha, we have a lot of glory hunters here in Hong Kong. Our own team sucks, and people just like to be part of a winning group.

I do apologize for the horrible pitch that they had to play in. The crazy weather this past week doesn't help it at all. But I have to say there are glimpses of great passes and such from the new boys, just think what would happen after a few more training sessions and they start to gel...

In the article (written by a City fan) Conn talks about a test to see if a prospective owner is fit and proper. I wonder if the United owners would pass that test.
Those attrocities mentioned in the article are no surprise to me. My reaction is the same as Mitterand's when it was discovered that he had a child with a mistress: Et alors ?

We all know that football is used by various thugs (Chelsea, Deportivo, Atletico Madrid under Gil, Ken Bates, Berlusconi ...). Your indignation is very selective. If you really care about justice and have the intention to be consequent, stop watching football then. The balls that are used are made by 8 year old Bangladeshi kids. Did you ever complain about that ?

That same team's captain is an icon of social conscience who has various projects for poor people in Africa and is in Belgium the most important stronghold against extreme nationalist rightism. That is something you will never mention unless Kompany would play for United.
With all respect, your crusade against Chelsea and Man City is boring, one dimensional and hypocritical. You are one of the most intelligent posters on this forum when you are not biased.

Of course i condemn the things described in that article. But is Man City as a club to blame ? I don't think so. Will it stop David Conn to support Man City. Perhaps. Perhaps he will be as disgusted as i was when i visited United's megastore (as a %Man Utd fan) and i saw how the club exploited the air disaster and it's victims (an emotional and exagerated reaction, i'm well aware of that now). What i'm trying to say is that if you search long enough you can discredit every club. Of course what is described in that article is much worse than the reason for my indignation. The difference is that Man City as a club did not do that, whereas the shameless exploitation of an accident was effectively done by the club.

Another example. Our second king Leopold II acquired the Congo as his personal property and exploited the local people in a most cruel way, it was worse than slavery. Later on, when English journalist ED Morel started writing about these attrocities, he "gave" the Congo to Belgium. With the moeny earned by those poor Congolese people, Brussels was rebuild and became for a short while one of the most beautiful and modern cities in Europe. Should have individual Belgians of that time felt guilty about this ? I don't think so. They had nothing to do with the attrocities...

Should all the fans of teams that play with Nike gear feel guilty about the sweatshops that Nike uses in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Haïti ? I don't think so.

It's good that articles like that are written, but do you think Conn would agree with the way you use his article ? You "hate" (or fear) Man City because they are no longer the noisy neighbours. I still love reading your posts, but this one is IMO a mistake.
Conne has written an extremely courageous article, you use it for manipulation in some sort of tribal war. This just doesn't feel good and it "devalues" Conn's article.

Sorry for the rant. As a person i really seem to like you and i love discussing with you, but this felt wrong. Maybe it would have been less wrong if you hadn't posted this in the Man City thread. Anyway, no hard feelings.

Last edited:
It's situated in the middle east, of course there are going to be problems.

It's a mixed bag over there as it is over here. We both torture. We both clamp down on freedom of speech, albeit using different tactics or so it would seem. We both have quasi-private-governmental corporate monopolies.

I disapprove of the outlawing of strikes but I also disapprove of the kind of trade unionism we have seen over here in the UK.

I disapprove of all these things. But at least they keep their less savoury habits confined to their own borders. The west invades whole other countries on a whim, performs signature drone strikes and enforces wide reaching sanctions (which amount to terrorism via starvation), murdering thousands of innocents.

It's easy to point the finger at other nations. It's much harder to see the evil within our own.

I'm not sure really what this has to do with football. The Glazers and Utd have benefitted from questionable US government policy, but I don't understand what we're supposed to take from that. We've all benefited at some point from immoral governmental policy.

Considering the region and the company it keeps and all that represents, the UAE has done well in its short existence. You need to compare like with like.

Interesting read Beachryan ... Those brotherhood are splitting Eygpt . I didn't know they're a big ideology spreading about. I'm sure ManCity owners have made some huge enemies protecting their rights.

Obviously what Gerd and Gotodelli have posted is true - the Western governments have done horrible things and I'm obviously not starting a socio-political debate (though I'm sure that'd be fascinating given the varied background of everyone here).

Conn points out the parts that are relevant to football, and relevant to Manchester City in particular. I.e., when City's chief exec says:
"This is telling a lot to the world about how we are. It is showing the world … the true essence of … what Abu Dhabi is about. There is almost a personification of the values we hold as Abu Dhabi, with the values of the club and the values we would like to stick to." then that means it is relevant to the football world.

Anyway, as a United fan I think the Glazers are scum, who are cashing in -albeit successfully - on an emotional, fan-driven entity that they personally have no interest in. And they're just doing it for profit. But at least I can understand that. They saw a company they believed that could deliver better profits than other areas of their potential investments, and they therefore seized on the opportunity.

I believe that football clubs should be majority fan owned, and that the 'fit and proper persons test' is currently just a 'who will bring more money into the game/my pockets' test.

If people react so sensitively to any suggestion that their club might be doing something a bit off, then nothing will ever change. Football is an ugly, corrupt, greed-filled wasteland - on that you're right Gerd. But that doesn't mean that we should just accept that as given and not say a word.

FFS, Jack Warner has just been re-elected. Let that sink in.

Back to football - City are absolutely tearing Milan apart in the Audi Cup. It's one-way traffic in the first 15 minutes, City already 1-0 up after nice combo from Navas -> Jovetic to set up Silva.

Dzeko looks re-energised alongside Jovetic and Navas, and Silva is everywhere so far, seems to be more or less in a free role.

Fernandinho, Toure, Silva, Jovetic, Dzeko and Navas. I mean good lord.

Back
Top Bottom