Manchester City Thread

Manchester City plan bigger Etihad

Manchester City will announce plans for a £50m investment to expand their stadium capacity by 6,000, with an option to go even bigger, as they continue negotiations to bring the Chilean Manuel Pellegrini in as successor to Roberto Mancini, The Independent can reveal.

Pellegrini's appointment is neither imminent nor a done deal, despite reports from Spain that he is leaving Malaga to join City on a two-year contract. But City are confident the 59-year-old will join them and are also preparing to build on a high volume of sell-outs at the Etihad by adding a third tier to their South Stand, taking the capacity to 54,000 – leapfrogging Newcastle and Sunderland to command the third highest capacity in the Premier League, after Manchester United and Arsenal.

City-stadium-3859591.jpg

Subject to consultation with the local community in east Manchester, a planning application will be submitted in the autumn which may also include proposals to expand the north side of the ground. That could see the stadium capacity reach closer to Arsenal's 60,300.

City's feasibility studies for ways of expanding their ground have included an analysis of lifting off the roof and creating an entire new tier to boost capacity to over 70,000, hugely increasing match-day income. But a more organic type of development – increasing the stadium bit by bit – is considered the best way to accommodate new capacity as the club's growth brings in more fans. The stand, scheduled to open in the summer of 2015 and subject to public consultation work which begins next month, will accommodate a substantial number of far lower priced tickets season tickets costing under £300. The reorganisation of the ground will also see away fans moved – something City fans have been asking for over a number of years.

The plans, scheduled to be completed in the summer of 2015 and subject to public consultation which begins next month, include lower-priced season tickets costing under £300. Tickets sold on match days will make up the rest of the extra capacity which the club does now need. Some hospitality sales will also be taken up in the new tier, which the club will show has been drawn up in keeping with the rest of the 11-year-old stadium.

The Etihad, which was designed by architects Arup for the 2002 Commonwealth Games, has a capacity of 47,805 and the extra tier will take it well above Liverpool and Chelsea, other clubs who desperately need a way of increasing match-day revenues but do not have the room to expand that City enjoy.

City require the team to develop even more radically than their stadium as they seek to boost their domestic and global following to a level where they would be capable of filling a 70,000-seat facility like Manchester United. They are some way off that at this stage. Though the dismissal of Mancini on Sunday, announced late on Monday, has been met with fierce criticism, there is a deep conviction at City that changing managers is the right course of action.

It remains difficult to find any players to contradict the more readily available impression that Mancini was unpopular. The Independent's attempts to locate one drew another blank. It seems significant that even the club captain, Vincent Kompany, an articulate and prolific user of social media, has offered no comment or good wishes towards Mancini.

Malaga's two remaining La Liga fixtures, at home to Deportivo on 26 May and away to Barcelona on 1 June, are limiting City's ability to deliver Pellegrini, with the Spanish club still seeking a Europa League place. The attempt to recruit the Chilean was said last night to remain "absolutely, certainly not, a done deal".

A two-year contract would give Pellegrini significantly less security than Mancini's most recent five-year deal, indicating that City want to see how the appointment pans out rather than making an emphatic statement of intent. Because of Malaga's Champions League ban for next season and Rayo Vallecano's failure to secure a Uefa licence, La Liga's ninth-placed club could qualify for the Europa League. Malaga are sixth, seven points clear of ninth-placed Getafe.

Oh and Isco is a blue :P

A_YUMYDCIAA3RZv.jpg:large

Last edited:
Curses, Isco is probably the best young talent in Europe. That's a real coup - could make Pelligrini worth the buy even if he ends up failing.

Silva--Toure--Isco
------Aguero------

That's like an FM cheat code dream.

Always good to see teams investing in their stadiums. Hope Utd will eventually find the funds to push OT to 90+ once they resolve the train track issue. (and financing of course) Isco is a huge grab, just hope City is making true on its promise to build a solid youth development program. The Germans deserve a lot of respect for that in the Bundesliga.

We haven't signed him ..at least not yet.

I don't know what the story behind him wearing the '08 City shirt is. He's probably just another City fan :SMUG:

"Hey, just put this top from 2008 on and we'll leak it and hopefully everyone will be convinced growing up in Malaga, the dream wasn't Barcelona or Real Madrid

but the 'Massive' club that is Manchester City
" ;))

We haven't signed him ..at least not yet.

I don't know what the story behind him wearing the '08 City shirt is. He's probably just another City fan :SMUG:

If Isco was a city fan in 2008 then I will honestly expect pigs to start flying by my office window shortly :p

True talent though, he's been the number 1 choice (other than Ronnie) for United fans for about 18 months now.

New York City FC

Manchester City and the New York Yankees have agreed a groundbreaking partnership to create a brand new American soccer franchise named the New York City Football Club into the MLS for the 2015-16 season.
As part of a deal exclusively revealed by Sportsmail in April, City will be the majority owner of the 20th franchise and the club's stadium will be built in Queens, near to tennis venue Flushing Meadows.
The deal is worth $100million (£66m) and City are hoping it will raise their profile in America, as well as becoming a potential extra source of both income and players.

Ferran Soriano, Manchester City's chief executive, said: 'New York is a legendary sports town with an ever expanding soccer fanbase. We are thrilled to contribute to the energy and growth of New York City soccer.'
The mayor of New York, Michael R Bloomberg, said: 'Soccer is one of the world's most exciting and popular sports and it should be played on the world's biggest stage, in New York City.
'New Yorkers are the greatest sports fans in the world and they will welcome an MLS franchise with the full-throated and loyal support they are famous for.
'Manchester City has a great reputation for winning teams and serious community investment and that will help them fit in well.'
Meanwhile MLS commissioner Don Garver was delighted with the prospect and believed it would be great for the league.

He said: 'This is a transformational development that will elevate the league to new heights in this country.'
By picking Queens as the location for the stadium, the Yankees are stepping on the toes of rival baseball side New York Mets.
City are currently in the US ahead of post-season friendlies against Chelsea in St Louis and New York.
Soriano added: 'New York City FC will have a permanent home in the city in the great traditions of New York sports and world soccer -- a home that must be a sports, commercial and civic success.
'But in considering any stadium site, we will listen first. This is what we have always done in Manchester and what we will do in New York. Only in this way, can the club truly represent the city whose name it will carry.'
New York City FC are looking for an interim venue to play at before their new stadium is completed.

Looks like I finally have a 2nd favourite team :))

Soon as those Americans figure out its not the red of Manchester, that Mayor Bloomberg is going to flip out! 'YOU SOLD US WHAT!!!' What a Blue? '

United merged with the Yankees back in the day. Didn't go well so we stopped the relationship.

Nice to City following our lead though :)

Pellers confirms Malaga exit

"My coaching staff and I are separating from Malaga but our union with this city will be eternal," said Pellegrini. "I'm going for sporting reasons."

Watch him end up at Barca ...or New York City FC :P

Interesting signing, I think he's a good player but would be concerned with him being so homesick, he's not leaving Seville for familiar territory either so not sure how he'll take to Manchester.

He said he got over his problems a few years ago.

I'm sure we will have looked into the issue before signing him

But he's also never spent more than a couple of months out of Spain before, and even when he did he was with the NT. A whole year or two of missing home, and he may get home sick again.

Calm down bebo. Godotelli is a fan who is stunned/happy that they will probably trasfer some players he likes... and you rain on his parade...it's not because you don't like his club that you have to dislike him...

Imagine you being over the moon about Jovetic or another fantastic player going to Arsenal and me talking about 4th place as a trophy...you would not be amused.

Think about cheese...

They have to sing the 'thong song' if they get Isco (It's a weak link, but any reason to see a group of supporters singing it would be great :)) )

Calm down bebo. Godotelli is a fan who is stunned/happy that they will probably trasfer some players he likes... and you rain on his parade...it's not because you don't like his club that you have to dislike him...

Imagine you being over the moon about Jovetic or another fantastic player going to Arsenal and me talking about 4th place as a trophy...you would not be amused.

Think about cheese...

Me n Godotelli are 2 peas in a pod :) . He tells me to behave when needed. He can take more punches then most. Plz ! He will be parading a lot in the next few weeks. We all know it!

£34m for Fernandinho! Bloody hell. 4th most expensive English transfer ever? I mean, he looks alright, but that's Aguero money.

£34m for Fernandinho! Bloody hell. 4th most expensive English transfer ever? I mean, he looks alright, but that's Aguero money.

remember Pellegrini isn`t afraid to spend ! RM £225m, Malaga £96m he hasn`t even begin to start spending City`s kitty. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom