Manchester City Thread

It fits the rule, so why should the rule not be followed...

What's the rule?

Not allowed to tackle cleanly on the ball from in front of the player?

You can't get punished for nearly having an accident, if he had planted is knots on Wilshere's shin, then it would be a red card... as long as he doesn't that's not even a free kick.

To be fair to Dean (and all referees): i've seen a slow motion from the same angle Dean was looking and it looked a reckless tackle from that angle if it wasn't whown in slow motion (they showed it twice: once at normal speed and once in slow motion).

The reasonable thing to do now would be to let Kompany off the hook and don't give him an additional suspension...this happens fairly regularly here in Belgium. My favourite Genk had
3 red cards this season where there was no additional suspension because it was quite cleart that in all 3 cases there wasn't even a foul.

There are people who are toying with taking into account "the intention" to injure...but that is very dangerous...how can we know what a player's intention is ?

Ref isn't there to provide entertainment for the armchair masses. He's there to enforce the laws.

Denying a clear goal scoring opportunity = red card. Doesn't matter whether it's in the first or last minute.

I ask myself how biased you are when you write that.
I wonder what you would have said if what happened with Koscielny would have happened with Kompany.

But that are "if's"...useless

Personally i don't blame Dean at all (not even for his blatant mistake concerning Kompany's red card).
I somehow blame the rules and the y way they enforced generally.
It's true that Dean isn't there to guarantee entertainment, but one could ask if this should not be an important factor in all what refs decide. Football is entertainment and if the rules or the way they are enforced, kill the entertainment then there is something wrong.

Do i mean Dean's decision concerning Koscielny ? No, not at all. I agree with his decisions. The factis that 10 different refs will all treat fouls within the box different.

Take a foul no matter what foul that isn't blatant. The same foul in the middle of the pitch will be sanctioned in 95% of the cases by the ref. In the box: hardly. Where is the difference ? A foul is a foul.

Because refs generally tend to overlook minor fouls in the box, players like Koscielny take the risk and try to commit fouls, even blatant fouls like the one Koscielny committed.

If the every ref would give a penalty (and the subsequnet red card is perhaps not that important, a foul like the one Koscielny committed should not result in a sending off, the rules are wrong there) forevery single foul in the box, then Koscielny would not even have tried to commit that foul...

Refs and the people who adjust the rules should think about that. Yesterday's match as aspectacle was effectively over after the sending off...and it happens more and more...

Not so sure about that Benni. He had the ball.
On the other hand: he hurt himself, so it can be seen as a reckless tackle... But then you are talking about intentions...what is reckless ?

Perfect tackle by Kompany there. If the FA dont rescind that we might as well say "You cant tackle, you have to rely on a player to lose control of the ball and for it to roll at your feet" for possession to change hands. I would hate then to play Barca!

yep, that's a textbook sliding tackle indeed. feet position is perfect, the legs position is absolutely spot on and the timing is also perfect. that is not a foul (nevermind a red card), and i can't see how anyone could see it otherwise.
having said that, refs do make mistakes every now and then (and in premier league, a lil more often than that! :P ) and maybe it was hard to spot it as a perfectly clean tackle from the ref perspective.
where was the ref btw? i can't see him in that gif posted in the last page.

on a not so unrelated topic, what an amazing cb kompany grew into! truly a fantastic player.

Last edited:
What's the rule?

Not allowed to tackle cleanly on the ball from in front of the player?

You can't get punished for nearly having an accident, if he had planted is knots on Wilshere's shin, then it would be a red card... as long as he doesn't that's not even a free kick.

wrong PK, im talking about the other one, im talking about the rugby tackle on dzeco... straight red to kolcny, sorry for the bad spelling

Says it all when Wilshere thought that he was the one about to get carded.

Will be surprised if the appeal is successful tho. The FA are ...shitbags

*puts on tin foil hat*

Kompany red card rescind = more compelling title race = more ad money

Hrm...

Reminds me of when Rooney became the first and only player banned for swearing, that was at a time when United were running away with the title. Rooney went out, title race got closer. More compelling title race = more ad money.

Alright, back in my box. I'm sure that's not how this works.

Had to rescind the red card really,mainly because he probably made a much worse tackle at Norwich but never got a card of any type in fact he set up a goal after that tackle.Both tackles at first glance which the referee has, looked straight red cards.But on replays from different angles the 2 tackles look fair and square.Cant blame Mike Dean for sending him off looked worse than it was.

Agreed it shouldn't have been red, but that's almost the first time I can think of when the FA have acted so sensibly over a 'borderline' decision. I can see why Dean sent him off from his angle - which is why I'm surprised.

Anyway, Kompany seems thoroughly likeable, so good for him.

Can guarantee if that had been Rooney or Ferdinand then it wouldn't have been overturned.

Did need to be though, was a fine tackle. Kompany can go in fairly recklessly at times but because he's so good he doesn't tend to make the tackle itself dangerously. It's a fine line but he's invariably on the right side of it.

Also, anyone seen that the linesman that told the City players to go and see their fans has been axed from duty by the officials governing body? Ridiculous stuff.

Can guarantee if that had been Rooney or Ferdinand then it wouldn't have been overturned.

I hate this 'hard done by act' supporters adopt in the modern day. What actual evidence do you have of this?

Kompany didnt deserve 3 match band - I have looked at replays and Gerd, Godotelli are correct.

I hate this 'hard done by act' supporters adopt in the modern day. What actual evidence do you have of this?

Kompany didnt deserve 3 match band - I have looked at replays and Gerd, Godotelli are correct.

The history of United players getting bans for ridiculous things or not having things overturned even when they obviously needed to be?

Could be my natural bias towards my club and it's players seeping through though of course.

Back
Top Bottom