Manchester City Thread

It wasn't in solidarity with City supporters, it was a message against big money takeovers in football and modern football in general.

30 titles in a no-mark league. Big deal
I guess the four Champions League titles they won weren't a big deal too...

It wasn't in solidarity with City supporters, it was a message against big money takeovers in football and modern football in general.

I guess the four Champions League titles they won weren't a big deal too...

Aye most of it was not but thought it read that the ticket price complaint was.

And don't take offense to Godos comment. Differences between leagues for a long time were a lot different, especially during the Cruijf days. The EPL didn't always have all this foreign talent and mass amounts of money coming in that it does now. I'd be more acceptable of his comment if it came from a pool or united fan,city is nowhere in the same league as Ajax when it comes to its place in the history of world football.

Ajax deserve huge respect for not buying superstars but making them and living with this phylosophy in today´s football with quite good success. They were unlucky to be in same group with three other major league champions, but they can´t be ashamed with their great performances in some matches...

Ajax mean a lot in Europe with their four CL titles and with starting modern football as we know it basicly.

I honestly doubt any top team would do better if they had money that Ajax is working with.. just compare their first 11 with City´s in their match in CL this season:

Ajax vs. Manchester City (3–1)
Manchester City vs. Ajax (2-2)

not bad imo.

Aye most of it was not but thought it read that the ticket price complaint was.

And don't take offense to Godos comment. Differences between leagues for a long time were a lot different, especially during the Cruijf days. The EPL didn't always have all this foreign talent and mass amounts of money coming in that it does now. I'd be more acceptable of his comment if it came from a pool or united fan,city is nowhere in the same league as Ajax when it comes to its place in the history of world football.

Whether or not the comment is acceptable has nothing - absolutely nothing - to do with who the person making the comment supports. I mean you don't even have to understand the tiniest bit of logic to understand this, common sense should be enough.

Ajax had an amazing team in the early 70's and that setup deserves respect, and they have done well to win the European cup 4 times, no doubt, but this is irrelevant when talking about 30 domestic titles. 30 titles sounds amazing but when you look at what historical competition there has been for them to overcome ...not so much. You could plonk many. many teams from other leagues, not even teams that were particularly successful either, in there and those 30 would soon evaporate.

Sorry if that hurts Evoweb sensibilities but, whilst it's obviously impossible to prove, it's hardly debatable.

Last edited:
AI
Whether or not the comment is acceptable has nothing - absolutely nothing - to do with who the person making the comment supports. I mean you don't even have to understand the tiniest bit of logic to understand this, common sense should be enough.

Ajax had an amazing team in the early 70's and that setup deserves respect, and they have done well to win the European cup 4 times, no doubt, but this is irrelevant when talking about 30 domestic titles. 30 titles sounds amazing but when you look at what historical competition there has been for them to overcome ...not so much. You could plonk many. many teams from other leagues, not even teams that were particularly successful either, in there and those 30 would soon evaporate.

Sorry if that hurts Evoweb sensibilities but, whilst it's obviously impossible to prove, it's hardly debatable.

Perhaps at least acknowledge your comment was in poor taste?
And singling out the 70s bc I mentioned Cruijf I'd suggest you read up on the history afterwards. This 'no mark league' produced a heck of a lot of word class talent over the last decades. PSV, Feijenoord and others would be happy to to argue with Ajax simply dominating the Dutch league for your assumed inferiority of the league. But yes, the EPL has certainly been more competitive.

It was a cheap shot bc of the article that clearly irked you... So the better question is whose 'sensibilities' were truly hurt here.

Last edited:

If you apply the same logic, then City's title isn't very special either since the English clubs aren't what they were (look at the UEFA ranking, Germany is closing in), but to me that doesn't count as an argument it's a similar to your falwed logic (i don't mean this as a personal offense by the way).

Your comment shows that you don't know the Dutch league: Feyenoord won the ECI and the Intercontinental Cup the year before Ajax won it, they had a very strong team. Around the same period PSV also had a strong team. Later on both Feyenoord and PSV went on to win European Cups and both Twente and AZ played finals.
Now one as only to look to the talent that came out of the Dutch league. If you take that as an argument, the Dutch league is much, much stronger than the English league. Look at a player like Rensenbrink. In the late seventies he was the best player in the world and he didn't even come from one of the big clubs. I can easily name 50 world class players that came from this very weak league...that is really no big deal.

On top of that i don't even see why you made that comment. It had nothing to do with the subject that was being talked about.

AI

Perhaps at least acknowledge your comment was in poor taste?
And singling out the 70s bc I mentioned Cruijf I'd suggest you read up on the history afterwards. This 'no mark league' produced a heck of a lot of word class talent over the last decades. PSV, Feijenoord and others would be happy to to argue with Ajax simply dominating the Dutch league for your assumed inferiority of the league. But yes, the EPL has certainly been more competitive.

It was a cheap shot bc of the article that clearly irked you... So the better question is whose 'sensibilities' were truly hurt here.

When someone shows me how it was in poor taste I will acknowledge it as such.

I didn't mention the 70's because you mentioned Cruyff. I mentioned it because that's when they won 3 back to back European Cups. An amazing achievement by an amazing team.
Yes, the Dutch League has been a 2/3 team monopoly for 50+ years. But when for such a long period of time you're only in a league consisting of 3 teams there will be times when you simply win by default.

If you apply the same logic, then City's title isn't very special either since the English clubs aren't what they were (look at the UEFA ranking, Germany is closing in), but to me that doesn't count as an argument it's a similar to your falwed logic (i don't mean this as a personal offense by the way).

Your comment shows that you don't know the Dutch league: Feyenoord won the ECI and the Intercontinental Cup the year before Ajax won it, they had a very strong team. Around the same period PSV also had a strong team. Later on both Feyenoord and PSV went on to win European Cups and both Twente and AZ played finals.
Now one as only to look to the talent that came out of the Dutch league. If you take that as an argument, the Dutch league is much, much stronger than the English league. Look at a player like Rensenbrink. In the late seventies he was the best player in the world and he didn't even come from one of the big clubs. I can easily name 50 world class players that came from this very weak league...that is really no big deal.

On top of that i don't even see why you made that comment. It had nothing to do with the subject that was being talked about.

That's not the same logic tho. The same logic would be to say that City's title isn't all that because you could put many, many teams from around the world, even teams who were not that successful in their own leagues, into the PL and City would not have won the title. How many foreign teams could you say would finish above City/Utd in the PL? Barca & Real almost certainly, Bayern probably, Dortmund maybe, Juve? doubtful - but then these teams are all title winners also.

Yes, Ajax aren't the only team. There's PSV and Feyenoord. But that's pretty much it. I agree that these teams have helped develop top class players but that on its face says as much about the strength of the league and the the quality of competition within as it does about other leagues around the world - say Argentina.

It was a response to a banner on display during our game in Ajax.

I'm satisfied Ajax got a fine - if you look at the picture banner they made of the Arabian owner with the bag of money I think it's in poor taste. They can say what they want about rich club ownership, but why highlight the fact that the owners are from the Middle East, and drawing it in such a cliched way too? Does it matter which country an owner comes from? Everyone knows that Ajax have sympathies with Israel, and that's fine, but I think drawing something like that was a little bit dangerous.

That's not the same logic tho. The same logic would be to say that City's title isn't all that because you could put many, many teams from around the world, even teams who were not that successful in their own leagues, into the PL and City would not have won the title. How many foreign teams could you say would finish above City/Utd in the PL? Barca & Real almost certainly, Bayern probably, Dortmund maybe, Juve? doubtful - but then these teams are all title winners also.

Yes, Ajax aren't the only team. There's PSV and Feyenoord. But that's pretty much it. I agree that these teams have helped develop top class players but that on its face says as much about the strength of the league and the the quality of competition within as it does about other leagues around the world - say Argentina.

It was a response to a banner on display during our game in Ajax.

Well I assume your logic is that Ajax are in a relatively weak league, and they're the tallest of a group of midgets, so to speak. But how do you define what a midget is?

By the same token you're saying Barcelona aren't anything special this season, because no one else has a chance of winning La Liga.

Winning a league is hard whenever you win it. And in any season that any team wins it, there are typically only 3 or 4 teams that are in with a shout. To have such a sustained period of dominance speaks to a very competent setup, great youth development and a strong history and fanbase.

Personally, and obviously I'm biased, but that impresses me a lot more than coming from mediocrity, getting given a billion pounds and winning a league. Maybe that's just me though.

Well I assume your logic is that Ajax are in a relatively weak league, and they're the tallest of a group of midgets, so to speak. But how do you define what a midget is?

By the same token you're saying Barcelona aren't anything special this season, because no one else has a chance of winning La Liga.

Winning a league is hard whenever you win it. And in any season that any team wins it, there are typically only 3 or 4 teams that are in with a shout. To have such a sustained period of dominance speaks to a very competent setup, great youth development and a strong history and fanbase.

Personally, and obviously I'm biased, but that impresses me a lot more than coming from mediocrity, getting given a billion pounds and winning a league. Maybe that's just me though.

You mention it yourself, it's relative. When you say someone is taller/shorter, faster/slower, stronger/weaker you only know what these descriptions mean by comparison.

No, Barca are something special. They are in a league that has a number of strong clubs and well... they're the best team in the world.

The same 2/3 clubs for 50+ years? That's a chronic and systematic lack of quality to overcome.

Lucky for Ajax then that they don't play in the PL.

The Eredivisie has alot of competitive teams, Twente, Feyenoord, PSV, Vitesse and AZ if they get their act together

You guys seen what Ajax think of modern football?

50252426.jpg

61797468.jpg

You serious? When Ajax were winning titles the Dutch league was very strong.

English football was dire for many years, only since Sky have revamped it and contenental players arrive has English football been good.

Do you remember the 80s?

Ajax will always be a bigger and better club than Manchester City.

Fact.

Ajax have Cruyff as a club legend.

City have Mike Summerbee :LMAO:

Last edited:
I'm not going to repeat myself.

Yea, only since SKY has the English league been strong. Trollolol

Not a fact, Rafa.

Last edited:
Good player, but really does my head in that he's allowed on TV during United matches. He's more biased than I am, but he gets paid to be a pundit and 'neutrally discuss' matches.

It's like Sky's inexplicable, unacceptable decision to keeping having Niall Quinn commentate on United matches. His hatred of United forces a lot of fans to mute and listen to BBC Radio.

Back
Top Bottom