Manchester City Thread

A propos of nothing, just saw these stats:
Subbed on for 15 minutes against Reading
Subbed on for 8 minutes against Stoke
Subbed on for 16 minutes against Watford (FA Cup)

That's apparently how much game time Scott Sinclair has had in the past few months. And yes, if you're like me, City signed him this summer.

Just bizarre. Similar to Rodwell, though I understand Jack has more or less been injured all season. Sinclair could be playing every week at Swansea. Why would a young player do that?

We live in a financially driven world, I think financially the risk/reward for him it makes sense. City probably tripled his wages and even if they let him go after one year he could bounce back to similar wages he was on at Swansea, imagine if he remained at Swansea and suffered a career threatening injury.

Mine has to be Sinclair, he works hard but just doesn't gel with anyone.
4.gif

5.gif

6.gif

7.gif

8.gif

I wished we had sent them all back. £62 to see a game of football is extortionate.

A line has to be drawn somewhere. If fans stopped going just for a few weeks clubs like Arsenal-£62, Chelsea-£59, QPR-£55(!!!), Spurs-£54, City-£51 et al. would be forced to reduce ticket prices, exp for away fans.

I applaud those City fans who would have gone but have said no

Last edited:
On the other side..that price is on the low end of your average NFL game when you want to see an (arguably) good team here in the states:

Average NFL Ticket Prices

1. New York Giants - $332.82
2. Green Bay Packers - $221.81
3. New Orleans Saints - $221.13
4. Dallas Cowboys - $179.49
5. Chicago Bears - $178.51
6. Indianapolis Colts - $162.55
7. New England Patriots - $160.92
8. St Louis Rams - $151.81
9. Philadelphia Eagles - $151.66
10. Pittsburgh Steelers - $143.70

Even mostly crap teams like the Detroit Lions average $66.05

Source: seatgeek, 2011-2012 statistics

:CONFUSE:

That doesn't even include the $25+ the typically charge for parking if you decide to stand in a traffic jam on the way to the stadium or the 7-10 dollar beers, etc.

I know I'm probably comparing apples and oranges (as well as USD vs pounds) and in no way am I condoning steep increases but is Arsenal that far from the norm nowadays compared to the City/United/Spurs/Liverpools of the world?

Last edited:
Those are secondary market prices. ie. prices of tickets after they have been on sale and sold out. Ticket touts (as we call them over here) work within this market.

I take it that the New York Giants are the best team or at least best supported team in the NFL?

Those are secondary market prices. ie. prices of tickets after they have been on sale and sold out. Ticket touts (as we call them over here) work within this market.

I take it that the New York Giants are the best team or at least best supported team in the NFL?

Valid point, tho a lotta tickets are bought that way, but I will agree it's not the same thing as what we're discussing for this particular situation. For a perhaps fairer comparison you can check out these pages:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/...-flying-high-for-monday-night-versus-packers/ (quite a big of markup for games compared to face value, similar to the Arsenal-City game)

I would suspect that the EPL has seen some drop in attendance overall similar to the NFL due to the economic times and increasing ticket prices. Also, less season tickets are picked up which makes it all the more questionable..or understandable (2 sides to the financial argument of this) why individual ticket prices go up.

Because of slumping stadium attendance, long-standing season-ticket waiting lists have disappeared in several cities. Full-season tickets are readily available on the websites of 20 of the league's 32 teams.

The Indianapolis Colts, who in 2010 had a 16,000-seat waiting list for season tickets, now have 1,900 season tickets available for their first season without star quarterback Peyton Manning. The New York Jets, even though they now feature quarterback Tim Tebow, announced last week they are cutting prices on 12,000 seats.

Ticket prices have climbed in recent years, from an average $72.20 in 2008 to $77.34 last year, according to Team Marketing Report. Along with the ticket, the average NFL beer is now $7.20, a hot dog is $4.77 and parking costs $25.77.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303561504577495083707417526.html

Once again, this is a bit like comparing apples and oranges due to the additional travel cost/time typically incurred in the US, as well as the fact EPL smaller stadiums on average are much smaller (possibly only adding to the reasons for charging a premium). However, the underlying reasoning for all this is probably similar across the board:

-markups on big games
-charging over the top prices for drinks/foods/parking/etc.
-whether the stadium is owned by the team or not and who is -making the payments
-the cost of the stadium because it's either a. new and needs to be paid off, or b. its aging and requires significant maintenance
-chances of the game being televised. Not sure what the EPL policy is but Im sure they like to see full stadiums, hence the reasons why a team like Utd gets so much screen time. In one of the 2 articles I list in this post they mention that the NFL actually had to lower its stadium filled percentages for games to be shown on tv.

etc. etc.

But to kind of get to your Giants question, they are definitely one of the bigger teams when it comes to "curb appeal"; and that is still the core reason of all of this as people have said before; for some teams people will come almost no matter what it costs, especially teams that have a near ever ending supply of people in line wanting to get in or because they are the type of team that attracts a lot more than the average joes on the street (aka attendance is a status thing often tied to being financially secure).

Last edited:
I'd imagine the Giants can charge more too because they're a New York (well, New Jersey) team and anything assosciated with NY automatically becomes a rip off?

Problem with people not picking the tickets up is that there is too much demand for the supply. Someone doesn't go then someone else will always take the ticket, regardless of cost. Can't imagine how bad an away trip would be with tourists and daytrippers taking the allocations because the real fans can't afford it.

On the other side..that price is on the low end of your average NFL game when you want to see an (arguably) good team here in the states:

Average NFL Ticket Prices

1. New York Giants - $332.82
2. Green Bay Packers - $221.81
3. New Orleans Saints - $221.13
4. Dallas Cowboys - $179.49
5. Chicago Bears - $178.51
6. Indianapolis Colts - $162.55
7. New England Patriots - $160.92
8. St Louis Rams - $151.81
9. Philadelphia Eagles - $151.66
10. Pittsburgh Steelers - $143.70

Even mostly crap teams like the Detroit Lions average $66.05

Source: seatgeek, 2011-2012 statistics

:CONFUSE:

That doesn't even include the $25+ the typically charge for parking if you decide to stand in a traffic jam on the way to the stadium or the 7-10 dollar beers, etc.

I know I'm probably comparing apples and oranges (as well as USD vs pounds) and in no way am I condoning steep increases but is Arsenal that far from the norm nowadays compared to the City/United/Spurs/Liverpools of the world?

hold on a minute, you need to put those seats in context... most people would not be able to buy the higher end giant tickets cause they are including luxury seats and club seats which are already sold out.. (and typically require you to buy the whole season)non-premium seats are much more affordable and which you dont need a season ticket to purchase...

also you have to remeber there are only EIGHT home games a year excluding playoffs... premier league there are more then TWENTY!! Big difference when you do the math. If you take out the super expensive tickets the avg ticket price is not that high. this is a more relevant chart

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...d-patriots-highest-ticket-prices-survey-shows

the numbers you posted would be like comparing the prices of a kia vs a porsche and then taking the avg and saying the avg price of a car is that.... i.e.

kia=$20,000
porsche=$80,000

so the avg price of a car is $50,000....

i think not

hold on a minute, you need to put those seats in context... most people would not be able to buy the higher end giant tickets cause they are including luxury seats and club seats which are already sold out.. (and typically require you to buy the whole season)non-premium seats are much more affordable and which you dont need a season ticket to purchase...

also you have to remeber there are only EIGHT home games a year excluding playoffs... premier league there are more then TWENTY!! Big difference when you do the math. If you take out the super expensive tickets the avg ticket price is not that high. this is a more relevant chart

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...d-patriots-highest-ticket-prices-survey-shows

the numbers you posted would be like comparing the prices of a kia vs a porsche and then taking the avg and saying the avg price of a car is that.... i.e.

kia=$20,000
porsche=$80,000

so the avg price of a car is $50,000....

i think not

Glad u chose to completely ignore my post after that. I already stated that that example was flawed and wrong , yet you come around and say I'm wrong. Very astute of you.

Last edited:
Glad u chose to completely ignore my post after that. I already stated that that example was flawed and wrong , yet you come around and say I'm wrong. Very astute of you.

hey mate, no offense... wasnt trying to say you were wrong, just thought the argument was flawed. I did not ignore your post.. just trying to make it all relevant to the conversation

I'd imagine the Giants can charge more too because they're a New York (well, New Jersey) team and anything assosciated with NY automatically becomes a rip off?

Problem with people not picking the tickets up is that there is too much demand for the supply. Someone doesn't go then someone else will always take the ticket, regardless of cost. Can't imagine how bad an away trip would be with tourists and daytrippers taking the allocations because the real fans can't afford it.

Very valid arguments who could also be used in the case of Arsenal (as being the biggest London club).

There are 2 arguments to be made here:

1. Wage inflation is the single biggest danger affecting football, regardless of what you believe causes it. As wages increase so do operating costs, so clubs need to raise more revenue to counterbalance that. For a club like Manchester City, they can keep ticket prices low, because they can post losses. For a club like Arsenal that's not possible, because they can't post losses. So, since you have to pay Theo Walcott $90k a week to keep him from running off to greener pastures, the fans must bear the burden of actually paying those wages.

2. The cost of living in London is significantly higher than Manchester. Probably by at least 30%. That extends to groceries, travel, housing - everything. Assuming ticket prices should be any different is odd.

All that said, if I were Sheikh Mansour I'd just subsidise away day tickets for City fans too. So Arsenal still get £62, but maybe fans only pay £31 of that, with the Sheikh picking up the other half. Everyone's a winner.

hey mate, no offense... wasnt trying to say you were wrong, just thought the argument was flawed. I did not ignore your post.. just trying to make it all relevant to the conversation

Fair enough, bro. It is difficult assess the intentions of someone's writing at times without knowing the character of the person or the emotion behind it. It read as a bit of a jab.
But yes, I see your point, which is what the post I made after the one quoted was alluding to. The number of games is definitely something to also take into account. Hope the points I was trying to make are clear though.

Seems Gerd and Beach are thinking along the same line here; it is also the reason I think why often times fans of the big boys are seen as bandwagon fans, whether that argument holds merit or not is another discussion.
That's why I love watching the FA Cup, it's almost like watching college sports vs professional sports here; there's a whole extra level of dedication to certain teams that almost makes a football lover think about it in romantic terms :COOL:

What was the difference? Again context, I'm pretty sure MLS was up against NFL that day... No doubt prem is very popular here, but MLS has made huge gains since inception

You just know it'll be the same shite that you get now only the price will be jacked up massively.

Either that or he'll come up with some pretentious rubbish that has no business in the pie and chips world of football stadium food.

At least we can all be united in saying Mike Dean is a snivelling little prick, who makes up for clear self confidence issues by punishing the actually talented people in his profession.

:)

I assume you mean that Koscielny's sending off ruined the game. I agre ewith you, but IMO the sending off was justified. You could also say that Koscielny ruined the game.

Yesterday it once agian became clear that Arsenal is a team that lacks players with a winners mentality. Arteta's injury didn't help.

Back
Top Bottom