Manchester City Thread

I suspect De Gea will forever be painted as a dodgy keeper. No matter how many amazing saves he makes, the die is cast now.

He may get better, he might not, chances are at the least he will improve a little bit, most players tend to over time. If you're referring to the media, I wouldnt necessarily say the die is cast (look at Brad Friedel, and to some extent David James, both had bad spells in their careers at Liverpool in the mid 1990s, yet both turned it around and were recognised as very good keepers, certainly Friedel anyway). Lehmann had a disasterous spell at Milan (as did Dida initially) yet both went on to be fairly good keepers in the eyes of the media.

The trouble is De Gea may well make amazing saves, but as long as he is shakey at corners (see Everton match) and doesnt really command the defenders the opposition will have weaknesses to exploit.

Agreed that the one worry with De Gea is his ability to command his area. It's hard to know what the issue is exactly - his age, language or the fact that he has basically never had 2 matches in a row with the same back 4.

When VDS set the record for clean sheets a few seasons ago, he basically didn't have to make saves. I'd wager De Gea has made more saves in a single match than VDS made in that whole 8 game run. United's defense used to be incredible, but sadly due to injuries and Fergie refusing to sign a midfielder, it's pretty much the worst I've ever seen in the 25 years I've been watchin United.

As this is the Chelsea thread, Cech looks pretty much back to his best - so how is Courtois ever going to get games?

I predict De Gea will end up a decent GK but won't surpass the likes of Shay Given, who are only remembered/seen as very good shotstoppers - not top GK's

De Gea is not a dodgy GK, he has his weaknesses like every GK, but he is a very good one. He will become one of the top 5 GK's in the world if every thing goed well for him. I think his handicap is the same as Harts (although IMO he is better than Hart): he lacks the presence both Neuer and Courtois have. I only know one absolute world class GK who didn't need that (physical) presence: Casillas. But who knows that De Gea can become as good as Casillas. He is one of the best instinctive GK's i know. Perhaps he is playing in the wrong league because centres seem to be his (relative) weakness.

About Courtois-Cech: Courtois is playing every single match with the number 2 in La Liga...that is not bad. His biggest ally is time. He is much younger than Cech.

On the other hand, if Chelsea continue to play with Cech (who indeed is still one of the best GK's in the world) they might loose out on one of the best future GK's. The situation is similar to Spurs' GK situation. Friedel is fantastic, yet at the moment they should play Lloris who has verything to become one of the top GK's. Lloris is the future for Spurs, not Friedel.

To be fair: Spurs GK problem is much more urgent/accute/pressing (don't know which word to use) than Chelsea's.

A clean sheet and a nice batch of goals Huzzah!

Mancini_Celebrating_Manchester_City.jpg

Bring on Madrid! ;)

The talk around the waterloo is the sheiks want to buy NY Redbulls. kaka n lampard are names heading that way. If the sheiks buy NY will it be a place to remove from City to help add book cleaning? Interesting stuff!

Worst showing from an English team since the CL inception.

But.

I think Mancini told his team to take it easy and lose tonight, rather than chance having to play in the Europa league. Odd choice from a team that would have killed to be in the Europa League 6 seasons ago, but I guess it makes sense.

Favourites for the league now?

shows how much top teams ignore Europa League now.. this competition is considered a second competition after CL, but imo, there were much more exciting matches there than in CL i saw this year..

Worst showing from an English team since the CL inception.

But.

I think Mancini told his team to take it easy and lose tonight, rather than chance having to play in the Europa league. Odd choice from a team that would have killed to be in the Europa League 6 seasons ago, but I guess it makes sense.

Favourites for the league now?

You would think with such a good depth ,he would invite more games to keep a good rotating system. This could keep Sinclair and Rodwell happy.

shows how much top teams ignore Europa League now.. this competition is considered a second competition after CL, but imo, there were much more exciting matches there than in CL i saw this year..

I agree with you Pipa.
One doesn't really need top teams to see very good and exciting football...
Platini has plans to get rid of the Euro League and have a CL with 64 teams...what a shame.

the Europa league is a joke competition and completely pointless

I want Inter back in Europe best compeition

City do well to avoid it last night..

It's a litle bit easy to say that Benni.
There are other football teams than Inter, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

For those litle clubs (who are often more sensible than some big clubs like Valencia or Leeds United) the Euro League is a chance to shine.

They might be second rate teams, but my favourite team is a second rate team and i'm pretty proud about the fact that the few times they play CL, they couldn't care less and didn't do stupid things: buying loads of journeyman with huge wages, who in the end are useless.

And sometimes a second rate team can actually beat those big teams, look at Atletico Madrid who absolutely ridiculized Chelsea in this year's Super Cup. Chelsea couldn't care less? I'm not so sure about that and even if it is true, i think they care now.

Teams who don't play to win should get a sanction, Man City did that yesterday. I have nothing against City, but yesterday they were a disgrace. An old fashioned opinion? I am old.

it was arrogant of me Gerd so I apologise

But Man City have been a joke in Europe after spending 1 billion on players

and the atmosphere at City Manchester ground was embarrassing in every game do City fans ever sing? so quiet

it was arrogant of me Gerd so I apologise

But Man City have been a joke in Europe after spending 1 billion on players

and the atmosphere at City Manchester ground was embarrassing in every game do City fans ever sing? so quiet

Goes up by a few hundred million every time someone mentions it.

Anyway, glad we're not in the Europa. Mancini needs to do the double to be sure he'll be here next season. His signings this season, Nastasic and Maicon apart, have been shit. Garcia is utter wank

I have seen so many Man City fans calling for Mancini's head at Bluemoon forums.

Idiots. The guy won you the FA Cup and league title in last 2 seasons but you call for his head?!

Football these days is ridiculous.

I'm having that 4-1 scoreline. Never a free kick for their 1st and their 3rd goal came from a corner which looked like it should have been a goalkick.

Anyway, best game of the season from Kun today. Hopefully the start of things to come

Back
Top Bottom