Manchester City Thread

Congrats to City, fully deserved.

Triffic.

60196071519053548.png

Congratulations to Manchester City for winning it the FA Cup Final.
Great day for the City of Manchester!

Congrats on the win, just love seeing Stoke lose to be honest, in any match really.

Looks like you're properly on the up now, as you should be with the money spent, but still, until the name is on the trophy it's worth nothing. So enjoy tonight, and we'll enjoy 19 :)

Congrats to Man City fans out there! And to quietriot if he's around. At last your first trophy. More to come soon, surely.

Yaya Toure is one of my favorite players, and one of the most underrated midfielders in Europe.

Well, I know he earns a lot of money, but if you make people do a list of the 20 best midfielders in Europe, I bet you he wouldn't appear mucch. Though he would be in my list, I assure you!

I've always thought he'd excel in a more advanced role. A very well rounded player, technically and physically.

Put it this way, if there are still people out there who under-rate Yaya Toure (and sadly there probably is), well at this point, they're just idiots. And it's not about scoring the goal, it's about being the great player he is in his very first season in a new club and country and a new league.

Yaya is fantastic!

And next year the likes of Dzeko will show the world what they're capable of hopefully and play up to potential.

I watched the final.
Wasn't the best match i've seen, but City won deserved.
Congratulations to City, good for football that there is a possible "new" contender.

Yaya is indeed fantastic. Another unsung hero IMO his Vincent Kompany. In England he really has become the player he always promised to be: a top class CB who is good defensively but can also add something offensive.
Balotelli played a good and usefull Cup final, i'm sure he scored some points with his manager.

Despite this silverware is still think City play dire football...too defensive with all the talent they got.

Kompany is world class in my opinion, and De Jong is not bad either - although not exactly one for the purists - but imagine if Arsenal had a Van Bommel or De Jong, HSV got rid of some great players.

It's a bit of a shame the Daniel Van Buyten and Kompany have never played as center backs (together) for Belgium at a tournament. I know Van Buyten was in the world cup in 2002 - at a very underrated Belgian team who took Brazil very close, but from what I rememeber Kompany wasnt there and the defence was mainly Van Meir and Kerchkoven with the likes of Deflandre as full back. Van Buyten actually played for City for a while almost a decade ago.

I watched the final.
Wasn't the best match i've seen, but City won deserved.
Congratulations to City, good for football that there is a possible "new" contender.

Yaya is indeed fantastic. Another unsung hero IMO his Vincent Kompany. In England he really has become the player he always promised to be: a top class CB who is good defensively but can also add something offensive.
Balotelli played a good and usefull Cup final, i'm sure he scored some points with his manager.

Despite this silverware is still think City play dire football...too defensive with all the talent they got.

Hey Gerd, good to see another old timer still here!!

To be fair the football mcfc play now, isnt the typical city way of playing, but major pressure on Mancini to get at least 4th place was immense, expect to see a more expansive style of play next season.

Hey Vann, you must be the only Man Utd fan who is on speaking terms with me...all the other hardcore fans still think i hate your team.

By the way: congratulations with a well deserved title (and this in a thread about City..i love it).

Hey Vann, you must be the only Man Utd fan who is on speaking terms with me...all the other hardcore fans still think i hate your team.

By the way: congratulations with a well deserved title (and this in a thread about City..i love it).

nice one gerd.

Where do you draw the line?
When is a club buying trophies and when not?
Man City and Chelsea clearly are in your opinion.
Who else?

Why those two and not others.

If i look at the CL, the only club with a modest budget that won it is Porto...yet compared to other Portugese clubs they have a monster budget. So they did not buy the CL but did indeed bought the Portugese title?

I'm sorry, but you are talking nonsense.

Where do you draw the line?
When is a club buying trophies and when not?
Man City and Chelsea clearly are in your opinion.
Who else?

Why those two and not others.

If i look at the CL, the only club with a modest budget that won it is Porto...yet compared to other Portugese clubs they have a monster budget. So they did not buy the CL but did indeed bought the Portugese title?

I'm sorry, but you are talking nonsense.

In this particular instance I refer to it as buying because there has been no organic growth of the club. No managerial line or ethos as instilled by Busby at Manchester United, Shanks at Liverpool, Revie at Leeds or Clough at Nottingham Forest or further back the likes of a Herbert Chapman at Huddersfield Town then Arsenal.

No bringing in of players from a youth system instilled with the same ethos.

There's nothing organic about it. Chelsea minus the oligarch criminal would probably be now in tier three of English football and Manchester City would still be rolling around in mid table.

The interesting thing with them is that they did posess a decent youth set up in recent seasons which they seem to be jettisoning ie players like Michael Johnson, Nedum Onuoha etc etc.

And unfortunately with the EPL trying to kill off the rest of the football pyramid with their farcical rules on Academies they no doubt as Chelsea have done will cradle snatch any promising kids from other clubs ie Chelsea with Taiwo & Woods from Leeds, Philliskirk from Oldham without bringing through any of their own players.

Clubs like Manchester United and Liverpool may also be able to afford large transfer fees but they did it through hard work of several individuals resulting in the clubs they are now. Not through some rich individual deciding to take over a club as a plaything or using the club as a way of advertising their nation.

Got to admit that you have a good point there...i judged you too soon...i apologize.

But i still don't agree. Basically despite all their efforts in their academy clubs like Man Utd and Liverpool also outbid other clubs...so they also buy success (more or less).

Same goed for clubs like Spurs, Arsenal and basically every premier league team except Blackpool. Anderlecht, the biggest club in my country has a smaller budget than most Championship teams in England...that puts it all in perspective (and Anderlecht also "buys" success).

You are right about organic growth, but the way football is organised, organic growth is almost impossible.
I have nothing against club like Offenheim, Zenith, Chelsea and Man City...what i do not understand that all those players keep going to those clubs even if they will never have a first team chance.

In this particular instance I refer to it as buying because there has been no organic growth of the club. No managerial line or ethos as instilled by Busby at Manchester United, Shanks at Liverpool, Revie at Leeds or Clough at Nottingham Forest or further back the likes of a Herbert Chapman at Huddersfield Town then Arsenal.

No bringing in of players from a youth system instilled with the same ethos.

There's nothing organic about it. Chelsea minus the oligarch criminal would probably be now in tier three of English football and Manchester City would still be rolling around in mid table.

The interesting thing with them is that they did posess a decent youth set up in recent seasons which they seem to be jettisoning ie players like Michael Johnson, Nedum Onuoha etc etc.

And unfortunately with the EPL trying to kill off the rest of the football pyramid with their farcical rules on Academies they no doubt as Chelsea have done will cradle snatch any promising kids from other clubs ie Chelsea with Taiwo & Woods from Leeds, Philliskirk from Oldham without bringing through any of their own players.

Clubs like Manchester United and Liverpool may also be able to afford large transfer fees but they did it through hard work of several individuals resulting in the clubs they are now. Not through some rich individual deciding to take over a club as a plaything or using the club as a way of advertising their nation.

City did have a very good crop of young players just as the Thai guy took over...

for spotting british talent, they are top notch, richards, ireland, hart, sturridge, onuha(sp), johnson, etuhu all come to mind

but priorities changed for city, they still focus alot on youth tho, but unless they get a wiltshire, rooney type kid expect alot of them going on loan...

I doubt building teams like Revie, Clough, Ferguson and Wneger did would work now...owners haven't got enoug patience.

Wenger and Ferguson are relics of the past.

Well I am not sure how this will go.

We've seen the galactico model in Real Madrid and it is an abject failure.

The Barca model of growing youth also now being implemented or was already in evidence at clubs like Bilbao, Espanyol for instance may be the way to go.

It depends on how these financial rules work out.

As for the reason players go to bench warm Gerd it is money alone that seems to motivate many players nowadays. In the past decent players not top notch ones would want to move onand still play first team football but now getting a spot on the bench seems adequate.

So you see internationals quite happy to play a very few fixtures a season until a better offer comes along.

And no more players dropping a division or seldom rarely to pass on their experience to another club and it's players.

And you are quite right most clubs are not run by sensible people but those who demand immediacy in results. Managers have rarely any time at all to build a side or style.

Well right now a team with 5 youth players was crowned champion here in Belgium...Genk won the decider against a Standard team that had 4 more players that came through Genk's youth ranks...but it's only in Belgium and i wonder how many of these players will stay in Genk.

PS: terribly sorry to be off-topic.

I see it as very likely City will win the league next year. Arsenal have fundamental issues, United are never going to be able to carry on without investment (which they won't get) and Chelsea just need to much all at once to possibly gel in one season.

The FA Cup success coupled with (now) 3rd place has energised what would otherwise have been a bit of a mercenary club.

I don't think it will be a dynasty, but I can see City being the only club that get better next season, and hence getting the title.

After FFP kicks in though, they're going to struggle....

I dunno about that. You can have all the best players you want, you can even gel together and put on great performances, but for me the key to winning the league is consistancy. And Man City currently dont have it.
This is why Arsenal will probably never win the league even though they have great players who improve every year, play well together, etc.

I can see City competing for the title, but they currently havent shown they can run the distance like us and Chelsea can.

Back
Top Bottom