Manchester City Thread

Then you should have a proper (re)look.
His retirement has been a huge blow for both his club and NT. His phenomenal passing ability and his ability to control the tempo of a match is the very reason why Ferguson has built many Manchester United teams around him. He's arguably the best English playmaker of the last decade. I'm honestly shocked that you don't see that Scholes was world-class as does his passing and finishing abilities.

Scholes is probably the only English player of the last two decades that is actually deserving of the much over used 'world class' tag. The kind of player that could fit into any of the top European club sides of his time and not look out of place.

Can't agree. If he was that good is presence in the NT should be indisputable, which it wasn't. Plus there's more than short passing abilities to make a world class CMF. His pace/stamina was sub-par. Defence was only ok. Long pass/thought balls and final pass was only ok at best. His running with the ball/dribbling skills was non existing. Yes he could control the tempo of a game, but he had many holes on his skill set to be labeled as true world class/game changer player.

And the opinion of great players does not mean he is the best. He wasn't even the best CMF at United. But its only my opinion.

Just look up what the likes of Xavi and Zidane thought of Paul Scholes.

What Xavi and Zidane thinks about a player is irrelevant. They are and were fantastic footballers but that doesn't make them expert scouts. They're not any more qualified to rate a player than any other football interested person who isn't completely disconnected.

I don't disagree with those praising Scholes though, I just don't think that this particular argument is worth anything more than any other persons opinion. Scholes was a more crucial member of a more winning team than Gerrard/Liverpool ever was and probably ever will be.

Gerrard overrated! Come on, one of the best midfielders of the past decade. If anything Scholes is the one who's overrated. Scholes caps for England: 66. Gerrard's: 109. That pretty much ends the discussion.

Gerrard is probably the most overrated player in the last 20 years.
About Scholes:when asked who was the best football player he ever played against, Zidane's answer was without a doubt: Scholes. Zidane called him a very underrated player.

I'm often wrong in my judgement, but would you doubt Zidane's judgement about an opponent ?

Seriously? A Scholes vs Gerrard discussion?!

Anyway, I agree with Godotelli. A 50mil fine is ridiculous, besides the obvious of creating more debt or higher expenses, why should UEFA get anywhere near that amount of money? If they were actually in it for the sport(as if...) the punishments would be aimed to level the playing field; transfer embargoes, squadsize/wage limitations etc. not a 50mil fine.

As for the comparison to PSG, both sponsorships are "off" so by all means fine them, but not by taking money.

Gerrard is probably the most overrated player in the last 20 years.
About Scholes:when asked who was the best football player he ever played against, Zidane's answer was without a doubt: Scholes. Zidane called him a very underrated player.

I'm often wrong in my judgement, but would you doubt Zidane's judgement about an opponent ?

Gerrard actually carried Liverpool to a CL throphie and in 2008/2009 was the best player on a not particularly talented Liverpool team that almost won the title (The Macheda's miracle(s) prevented that). Call him overrated is incredible. You may not love the guy, but he was pretty good.

As for the Zidane judgement, you should take it in consideration, but the numbers or the eye test do not lie. He was a very good player, but world class is a bit too much, IMO.

I'd agree to this; Gerrard is a good player who has been world class on occasion. That's not particularly uncommon though.

Why on earth are we discussing this in the Man City thread by the way?

Scholes vs. Gerrard again?

both are legends for their clubs, why even bother to ask such stupid question who is better? they played for different teams with different circumstances... under different managers and positions sometimes..

useless to compare, both were and are top class players people will remember for a long time.

Scholes has more natural talent and footballing nous in his left pinky toe than Gerrard. But he never had the physical attributes that allow him to single-handedly dominate matches the way Gerrard occasionally does.

Scholes is a better footballer, won considerably more and has had a better career. But Gerrard probably had more 10/10 performances.

To City - if FFP is going to exist, than City should be punished. Comparing racism/anything else and the magnitude of fines is a different argument entirely. If FFP is accepted as being in existence (which it is) than City deserve some punishment. They tried to claim their 'sister' club in Australia paid something like 26m for their database of player info. Totally not dodgy.

Anyway, it doesn't' really matter. What is 50m to Sheikh Mansour? He probably made that in the past hour on oil price fluctuations. It's play money anyway. Think how many nice dinners Platini can now help himself to.

Wow...AHAH! :D

Weren't you getting on Gerd the other day for supporting multiple teams?!!

:LMAO:

I think you've missed the joke - I would never, ever support two teams. And I would never support a team from overseas - real supporters follow their local team.

Not everyone have a local team.

Of course they do. Nearly every town in Europe/ROTW has a football team now.

You telling me all the guys at Evo-Web who 'support' Barcelona AND Arsenal AND 'flavour of the month team' don't have a team playing where they live?! :CONFUSE:

Anyway, we're all off topic.

City v Villa tonight. COME ON THE CITTTYYYYY!

I support two teams from different continents, and sometimes it feels it's almost like a parallel universe thing.
Fluminense and Arsenal are most likely never gonna face each other - well, I'd love it if they did meet in a FIFA World Club final, which would mean Arsenal winning the Champions League and Flu winning the Libertadores all on the same year :D

Other than that, I agree that if you really support one team, and if that team plays continental competitions, it pretty much rules out the possibility of you supporting other teams in that continent. Because the word 'support' has often been abused. I could say that I support Arsenal and Fluminense, and follow Internazionale, Barcelona, and Estudiantes for instance, only as an enthusiast. But when the clubs I support face them, I'll root against them no doubt.

Anyway, too much offtopic in the City thread. Today they will face the mighty Villains without half their first team. Easy peasy or epic clusterfuck?

what´s wrong with City fans? you are going for the title at home with stadium empty at some parts...?

like i said 4 days ago, title bound :SMOKIN:

140507134.1_xl.jpg

what´s wrong with City fans? you are going for the title at home with stadium empty at some parts...?

What? it looked full to me when I got there about half way through the 1st half, thanks to the traffic.

Anyway...

Yaya scores his 20th (only the 2nd CM in PL history to score that many) and our 100th league goal with one of his trademark goals. All aboard the Yaya Express!

1 more game to go! I hope Beachryan foresees a West Ham win ;)

Last edited:
Hey beachryan, could you please say Hull will smash us in the FA Cup final? :P

I'm very critical of Dzeko's all round play but he scores crucial goals. Out of his 45 league goals 24 have seen us equalise or take the lead

He is a player like that but I guess it also has to do with him coming on to force something.

Hey beachryan, could you please say Hull will smash us in the FA Cup final? :P

I can't speak of the power of reverse internet curses until the trophy has been awarded. Dammit. Maybe I did. When WHU win on Sunday it'll be all my fault!

Hull City are going to kick your ass in the FA Cup, with David Meyler breaking Wilshere's shin on the way to scoring the winning goal.

UEFA are set to further infuriate Manchester City by announcing that Paris Saint-Germain will face only a £20million one-off fine for breaching Financial Fair Play regulations

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa the balls on Twatini...

Back
Top Bottom