Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread(I Just Can't Get Enough!!)

apparently there was some issues about the deal worth.. so he signed for Newcastle who probably give him more money...well for sure, not just probably..

we are on way to sign good but not overpriced players..as our owners were not happy with big deals to players who barely played..like Cole, Jovanovic and some other maybe..

Ahhh the Geordies.

They don't care if the players are fit or not, or even any good. They'll still sign them up on massive contracts.

hes good player and something went wrong i dont believe medical test , coz player said was not for that and he said i can do in front of all you (media) and you will see test are good

however look at sissoko Milan dont get it for medical test but hes playing well at Lyon ;)

hes good player and something went wrong i dont believe medical test , coz player said was not for that and he said i can do in front of all you (media) and you will see test are good

however look at sissoko Milan dont get it for medical test but hes playing well at Lyon ;)
That is what people were saying about Madrid with Milito and in the long term Real Madrid were right to cancel the buy of Milito.
Doctors see something in the exams, and then it is up to the clubs to decide wether they want to take the risks or not.

There is no need to speculate, imo Newcastle give him deal worth more than ours and he as free agent decieded to play for them for more money... there is no other difference between them and us at this point from a view of a free agent coming from Ligue 1 team.

It's just set-up for a ridiculous scenario like him having a injury-hit time at Newcastle and ending up as the French equivalent to Winston Bogarde on his fat five-year contract.

Just typical Geordie madness.

You don't have to be unfit to fail a medical. From what i know, the medical team at Liverpool weren't confident in his long-term fitness and recommended only a 2 year contract at the most as his groin is ok now but liable to tear in the future, but Newcastle offered him 5 years so he went there.

Wont be surprised to see Meireles move on...
given his favored position of being in the middle looks unlikely
with Gerrard and Lucas being ahead...

And now we have Henderson, and chasing other midfielders..

I just don't get why you would try and move Meireles on. He was excellent for long periods once he got used to the league. You played better with him in the middle than you did when Gerrard was playing last season.

And I think Henderson just proved he should be nowhere near a top team.

You don't have to be unfit to fail a medical. From what i know, the medical team at Liverpool weren't confident in his long-term fitness and recommended only a 2 year contract at the most as his groin is ok now but liable to tear in the future, but Newcastle offered him 5 years so he went there.

If this is true then i can understand Marveaux. I have a feeling this one could haunt Liverpool, if Marveaux does well (and he is an excellent player).

And I think Henderson just proved he should be nowhere near a top team.

Based on what? Just tonight's game? Or three games?

That's almost like judging someone who joined a few months ago, hasn't had many chances due to injury and saying that they're a waste of money without the player getting a proper chance and run of games.

Oh, wait....

RE Meireles,

He's 28 and at his peak, having had a very good 2nd half of the season. So really his value will only drop from next season on. Also he always seems to have to be subbed after 65/70min. With Henderson coming in (and being groomed to play that position), Gerrard hopefully being fully fit for the whole season after a good long rest and with more attacking wingers/wideplayers coming in you can see the middle of the team getting a bit over covered. A 28 y.o. sitting on the bench getting good money isn't the best investment.

I'd rather he stay as his movement was a key point in Liverpool's better games, but I can understand him being sold if a good offer comes in.

Interesting, and long, article on the LFC player values;
http://tomkinstimes.com/2011/06/fair-play-for-fenway/

Last edited:

Wow, Henderson was just shocking through those 3 games. Really, really poor. But I still rate him based on his Sunderland performances.

Was disappointing, because he was clearly set up to be the main man of that lineup, providing some link between attack and defence. But it just didn't work at all.

Agree with the others about Meireles. He was alright over the course of the season. Nothing spectacular. Not worth disrupting the team over, imo, and certainly not as good as Gerrard, nor as important.

RE Meireles,

He's 28 and at his peak, having had a very good 2nd half of the season. So really his value will only drop from next season on. Also he always seems to have to be subbed after 65/70min. With Henderson coming in (and being groomed to play that position), Gerrard hopefully being fully fit for the whole season after a good long rest and with more attacking wingers/wideplayers coming in you can see the middle of the team getting a bit over covered. A 28 y.o. sitting on the bench getting good money isn't the best investment.

I'd rather he stay as his movement was a key point in Liverpool's better games, but I can understand him being sold if a good offer comes in.

Interesting, and long, article on the LFC player values;
http://tomkinstimes.com/2011/06/fair-play-for-fenway/

Exactly. I like Meireles a lot but I can see why he'd be sold. Happy if he stays, will understand if he goes.

Really enjoyed that article, makes a lot of sense. As said at the end, it's probably going to take a few years to properly convert the squad and get rid of the dead wood whilst getting the squad we want. I do feel that we're on the right tracks though.

Now, how and why are Poulsen and Cole still here?! :LOL:

Wow, Henderson was just shocking through those 3 games. Really, really poor. But I still rate him based on his Sunderland performances.

Was disappointing, because he was clearly set up to be the main man of that lineup, providing some link between attack and defence. But it just didn't work at all.

I didn't watch the match last night but I read that he had to drop into the anchor position just so he could get the ball? From what I saw of the game vs Spain and the first half vs Ukraine, there was a massive gap between the strikers and midfielders. Surely that's more to do with Pearce's tactics than individual players?

Best players for England were Smalling and Jones, says it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Still worry he's just too small. Watched him in the FAYC and he is properly tiny. Great skills, but you need to be Zola-like to compensate, particularly in England, and I'm not convinced he's that good.

Time will tell, although what I did like about what I've seen previously is he isn't scared to get stuck in. Was really barging in to the bigger defenders and not letting them have the ball. If he can bulk up and retain his speed he should be fine.

Carroll???? The most overpriced player since i follow football...and that is roughly 41 years.

i was talking about Marveaux, we signed Cole and others who barely played for us.. Carroll will have this prize on his head for rest of his career with us, but remember Carroll was first striker on mind of Kenny and if we didn´t bought him in January, we would buy him now.. simple as that..

we buy mostly young players now, that´s becouse we don´t want to stand in line with others in 2,3 years for them... we risk with TALENT now instead of buying second choice and overpaying or fighting with other teams to buy this players when they are world class..

About Carroll, he might have been overpriced, but there was a reason he was + there was a reason we payed so much (hint: 50 milion pounds from Torres sale + 6 mil. from Babel)

But you are aware that we are paying almost world class prices for taltented youngsters ? It is one thing to buy talented prices and gamble when you pay less than 10M and a lot according to objetives, and another is thing is to buy them paying 20M or 35M.

We missed out on the likes of Ronaldo, Simao and Alves because we wouldn't pay enough. Now we're getting fans moaning because we're paying too much for our targets. Unbelievable. You just can't please some people.

*Groans*

Yes it's a lot of money, however as I posted last week, the actual financial "risk" is pretty minimal. I'm not going to bother explain it again as there are more than enough threads and blog posts explaining the FFP rules and what that means for signings and how the cost of a transfer is accounted for in the books.

I think the anxiousness that is present atm (from paying 55mil. for two one season "wonders") will die down if Liverpool start spending some money on the likes of Mata, Zapata? or whichever foreigner has a good reputation. We all know that only spending huge on British talent isn't going to be enough, but there are still 2,5 months of the transferwindow to go (having had a month?) so continually moaning about it is pretty pointless, even moreso when we haven't even seen the guys play in the new system.

We missed out on the likes of Ronaldo, Simao and Alves because we wouldn't pay enough. Now we're getting fans moaning because we're paying too much for our targets. Unbelievable. You just can't please some people.
Simao and Alves could hardly be considered youngsters at that time. You are right on Ronaldo though, but they didnt spend 35M on him.

The principle is the same. We didn't spend what it needed to buy the players that we wanted. They've since gone on to do pretty well for themselves, right? They should've been ours had Rick Parry sanctioned the fee.

So now we're spending what it takes to buy players and people are complaining.

So if we don't spend what it takes, other clubs will come in at some point and take them.

If we do spend what it takes, we're wasting money.

At the end of the day, Kenny, Comolli and Henry have a slightly better understanding of the football market (or in Henry's case, of running a successful sports team) than any of us have. To have said they've overspent before a player has even managed a run of games at full fitness, or even before he's kicked a ball for us, is ridiculous.

But you are aware that we are paying almost world class prices for taltented youngsters ? It is one thing to buy talented prices and gamble when you pay less than 10M and a lot according to objetives, and another is thing is to buy them paying 20M or 35M.

in the prize of a player there you have to look also on how much they earn and how much the club can afford to pay them.. we could buy Aguero from atletico for 10 milion more than Carroll, but his wages would be 3 times more i think..

the same with other.. obviously if the club and new owners want to buy the best taletnts now, they have something like strategy and not buying everyone without thinking of the future..

second, not many world class players are attracted to us if we don´t play in CL.. but i think we will have to wait untill end of transfer window to see how we did..

so far i think we are about to see a big overhaull and reducing the number of underperformers.. we clearly aim to buy a bunch of Premier league experienced players but yougn ones..

what´s best on this situation is our talented youth..we have some amazing talents and something tells me we will see many of our youngsters next season.. there is no reason to buy hyped up foreign players if the likes of Kelly, Flanagan, Spearing are playing great..

in the prize of a player there you have to look also on how much they earn and how much the club can afford to pay them.. we could buy Aguero from atletico for 10 milion more than Carroll, but his wages would be 3 times more i think..
Yes, you got a point there. Probably not three times but he undoubtely earns a lot more than Carroll.

:LMAO: Downing?!

Downing-Adam--Henderson- Kuyt

=
winning.jpg

Not sure but it's only got into the open today.

I've always quite liked Downing and think he'll definately offer us the width needed. But it depends on the price, I don't think we should be paying £16m for him.

Not sure but it's only got into the open today.

I've always quite liked Downing and think he'll definately offer us the width needed. But it depends on the price, I don't think we should be paying £16m for him.

Actually, nix that, it's apparently fake. That or Downing is, ahem, endowned with about 7 fingers on his left hand...

Back
Top Bottom