Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

:LOL: Great post Peter but...

Wasn't you supposed to win the title this season? ...and last season? ...and the season before? :lol:

Gotta love your optimism though! ;)

Weren't you meant to win the Champion's League throughout all these years of dominating our league?

Erm, no Dags. There are usually 3 or 4 favourites to win the European Cup every year. We're always one of them because our team is amazing. ;)

How many times do we hear:

"Liverpool will win the league this year" in the summer and then by November it's "Rafa is crap - he really has to go!"

:lol:

How many times over the past decade (and more?) have United had an "amazing" team and won the Champions League?

In fact, since Fergie has been in charge in total, how many European Cups has he won? Didn't Ferguson nearly get sacked in his early days? How long did it take him to do anything remotely resembling an "amazing" team?

Benitez has won a shedload of cups and been in the CL final twice in the three years of the start of his reign, despite taking over a very average team. I'm not going to go on a Utd websiet to look up facts, but how many cups did Fergie win in his first three years? Did he finish in the top four of the league?

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh, so you love Rafa now? My God you change your mind a lot! :lol:

So you're not going to answer the question? Purposefully avoiding it? :LOL:

He was appointed manager at Old Trafford on November 6, 1986.

During the summer of 1989 United signed two new midfielders to bolster their chances of success in the 1989-90 season: Nottingham Forest's Neil Webb and West Ham United's Paul Ince. Middlesbrough's 24-year-old central defender Gary Pallister also joined the club for a fee of £2.3million. On the opening day of the 1989-90 season, United beat defending champions Arsenal 4-1. But in September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against neighbours Manchester City. Things did not improve during the rest of the 1989, and in November a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap. Ta ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked.[28] United went on a run of six defeats and two draws in eight games and Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game."[29]

In January 1990, Manchester United were drawn away to Nottingham Forest in the third round of the FA Cup. Forest were one of the most feared cup teams in that era, and it was expected that United would lose the match and Ferguson would consequently be sacked, but United won the game 1–0 and eventually reached the final. This cup win is often cited as the match which saved Ferguson's Old Trafford career.

-----------------------------------

So, four years without a cup? Compare that to a Champions League trophy, a European Super Cup, FA Cup, Community Shield, as well as finalists in the Champions League, Carling Cup and the World Club Championship.

All within three years, less time than it took Ferguson to win anything.

So it's funny seeing Utd fans get all cocky and trying to mock us not mounting a title challenge when it took you YEARS to get ANYWHERE near mounting any kind of trophy success.

Last edited by a moderator:

Check out Dags getting all stressed! :lol:

You lot with your past! Look, I don't want this to turn into an argument and I respect that you'll always stick up for your team - that is what supporters do.

What I must say is I notice a few of you think that by signing this or that player, they will win you the title. It WON'T. It's the same EVERY year with Liverpool. You sign a few new players and you all think that you are world beaters! By November, you're doing shite in the league (again) and you all turn on Rafa, refs, weather or whatever excuses you can find.

Let me ask you this question Dags - Do YOU think Liverpool are good enough to win the title?

Stressed? I'll edit my posts and put smileys if not adding them implies I'm stressed :D

With our current squad? No. We have the basis, we have the core players that can win us the league. We're short of a couple of positions but otherwise I'd say we have players just as good/better than Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea in their respective positions.

What about the manager? Has Rafa got what it takes to win the title? Or will he rotate everyone in the first-half of next season, dropping lots of points on the way?

4th place isn't good enough anymore - if you want to be taken seriously as an elite team in England then you should be challenging at least in second place. :)

Also, you need to beating the other "big three". You will never win the title if you can't beat United, Arsenal or Chelsea.

Lippi would be an AMAZING appointment at Anfield.

I just don't rate Rafa in England. Never have. He won a European Cup on penalties but domestically the guy hasn't got a clue. Everyone was cummin' over L'pool's recent results against Newcastle and other mediocre teams but when it came to playing United they looked clueless. There is no ZIP about L'pool under Rafa - their football seems very predictable & sluggish in my opinion.

:)

I think Rafa has definately got it in him to win the title. He's learning about our league still, he's getting better as time goes on.

The rotation issue is huge though. There are two camps, one that says we dropped points because we rested players. The other saying we've just been on a great run because the players were well rested from being rotated.

I think Rafa will rotate less next year, especially if whoever owns us gives him enough money to buy the players he wants and not players he has to make up the numbers with. And we'll likely see a few of our youth players come through, namely Nemeth and hopefully Pacheco.

He's learning about our league still, he's getting better as time goes on.

This, I will agree with mate.

It does take time getting used to England. Even though I don't think Rafa is the man (that's just my opinion though) I do like the fact that L'pool haven't panicked and got someone else in (Newcastle style!). :))

Delta, me and Dags are having a mature discussion. Stop trying to stir shit up. :)

This, I will agree with mate.

It does take time getting used to England. Even though I don't think Rafa is the man (that's just my opinion though) I do like the fact that L'pool haven't panicked and got someone else in (Newcastle style!). :))

I will admit I've had doubts about Rafa this season, but I expect every supporter to be worried when their team doesn't perform to the standards expected of them, and the main person to blame is the manager. But the fact is (literally) Benitez clearly isn't an average manager. His pedigree is excellent and he's obviously a kwalitee manager.

The last thing we need is to throw our toys out of the pram, we need consistency and that should start with our board (:roll:), then the manager, who then brings in the players he WANTS and not players he has £10m to spend and has to make the most of his money buy buying two average players instead.

I don't rate Benitez very high as a manager. I think it's time for someone new to take his place, to lay out his view and give Lpool a definite style of play. The truly world class teams seem to bag victories, even when they are not playing well. That's how you leave your mark and win trophies and Benitez was never able to do that imo...

He was appointed manager at Old Trafford on November 6, 1986.

During the summer of 1989 United signed two new midfielders to bolster their chances of success in the 1989-90 season: Nottingham Forest's Neil Webb and West Ham United's Paul Ince. Middlesbrough's 24-year-old central defender Gary Pallister also joined the club for a fee of £2.3million. On the opening day of the 1989-90 season, United beat defending champions Arsenal 4-1. But in September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against neighbours Manchester City. Things did not improve during the rest of the 1989, and in November a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap. Ta ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked.[28] United went on a run of six defeats and two draws in eight games and Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game."[29]

In January 1990, Manchester United were drawn away to Nottingham Forest in the third round of the FA Cup. Forest were one of the most feared cup teams in that era, and it was expected that United would lose the match and Ferguson would consequently be sacked, but United won the game 1–0 and eventually reached the final. This cup win is often cited as the match which saved Ferguson's Old Trafford career.

-----------------------------------

So, four years without a cup? Compare that to a Champions League trophy, a European Super Cup, FA Cup, Community Shield, as well as finalists in the Champions League, Carling Cup and the World Club Championship.

All within three years, less time than it took Ferguson to win anything.

So it's funny seeing Utd fans get all cocky and trying to mock us not mounting a title challenge when it took you YEARS to get ANYWHERE near mounting any kind of trophy success.

he cant remember that far back it was before the Premiership :)

What about the manager? Has Rafa got what it takes to win the title? Or will he rotate everyone in the first-half of next season, dropping lots of points on the way?

4th place isn't good enough anymore - if you want to be taken seriously as an elite team in England then you should be challenging at least in second place. :)

Also, you need to beating the other "big three". You will never win the title if you can't beat United, Arsenal or Chelsea.

Rotation? United have played the same team ONCE this season. Most United fans I have talked to, think it's impossible to predict what lineup Ferguson puts out. Bottom line, rotation is part of parcel of modern game. Every top club does it, the difference is, we don't have a good enough squad to carry us through the season. The rotation arguement is BS, as well as the 'Torres was rested' argument, when fact is, he was rested for only 2 games (less than what Ronaldo has rested), and it was after this that he got the injury. Co-incidence?

Can Rafa win the leagues? Of course he can. I have seen Valencia dominate La Liga for 2 seasons under him. That Valencia was a crushing machine, and I have never seen a team come to Anfield, and outplay us like Valencia did in the CL. Difference is, he inherited a squad full of world class players. Ayala, Aimar, Vicente, Albelda, Baraja, Canizares, as well as some very good players in Mista, Carew, Curro Torres etc.

In England, it's a different case. He inherited a squad, with only 4 players of any real quality, Hyypia, Didi, Gerrard and Owen. Also filled with crap in Traore, Biscan, Cisse, Le Talentless etc. Out of those 4, Hyypia and Didi were in their 30s, and Owen had left, leaving him with Steven Gerrard. Plus the fact, that English football was much less about tactics, but more about pace and power. He has had to come here, and completely rebuild the squad, similar to what Ferguson did. Difference is, alongside rebuilding the team, he also had to show some success on the field, due to which he had to buy stopgap players to sustain the team, while he slowly added real quality to the team.

Ferguson won full all in his first few seasons, but United did not sack him, and look what he's done! It's all ok for Wenger to walk into Arsenal, with arguably the best back 4 in the world, and with one of the best striker in Bergkamp, and win the league. Rafa inherited a mediocre team, which was ROTTING under Houllier, and has turned it into which most teams in Europe would fear.

And who says he doesn't beat the top teams? We have beaten the best in Europe. We have always beaten Arsenal at home in the league under Rafa, except this season, where our best central defender, our best forward, and our playmaker were injured. We have beaten Chelsea twice in Europe, we beat them last season at home, and we could/should have beaten them on both occassions this season. Our only problem is United, who are our bogey team. The problem is with the mentality. We have no problems facing the best in Europe, yet when we face United, we don't have the balls. We can't finish you off, even when we outplay you, or we just surrender down, like what happened on Sunday. This IS a problem, but you can't sack a manager on the basis of this.

I am sick and tired of the whole transfer debate. Rafa has worked on a limited budget. He has had to sell players to bring in players. You can say why he didn't spend 15M on a winger, but at the time, we needed BOTH a winger and a forward, within that budget. That's how it's worked. He's only made 2 big signings, and we know how those turned out. He has made a spine, a core for our team, that RARELY gets rotated. Apart from Kuyt, Paletta, Kromkamp he has done well. Every manager has poor transfers. Even the great Ferguson - Veron, Klerberson, Djemba Djemba, Forlan, dare I say, even Hargreaves.

I will say that we will not even win the league next season, simply because even if we do buy some top quality wide players (which Rafa will), it will take time for them to bed in. We just haven't been consistent enough this season, though there are some factors, like our best defender being out for the whole season (Imagine having Rio out for the whole season?), and the whole ownership fiasco. We are progressing. We have lost only 4 times, which is a great improvement over last season. Our away form has improved. We are finally playing some expansive football that top teams are associated with, and we are now properly demolishing teams, which we didn't earlier. Rafa has finally decided it's to settle upon a proper system, now that he has a spine to his team. We have turned our losses into draws, now it's to turn those draws into wins next season, where we may get closer to the top. We've had far too many draws, and our captain has been too inconsistent this season. I was expecting us to be closer to the top, but the league has got more competitive, we just don't have the squad to challenge at the moment. Rafa lost the plot for a while, when Pako left, and with the whole Klinsmann issue, but looks like we will be back on track. I hope we secure a 4th place, maybe push for 3rd. And sorry, it's not a 'Top 3' because we finished 3rd last two season, but no one mentioned a top 3 then.

Still, there's plenty to look forward to. Watch Babel and Lucas REALLY turn it on next season, watch Torres reach his true potential next season, and watch Mash become the best DMF in the world. And HOPEFULLY, watch Agger come back, and form a solid partnership with Skrtel.

We have a strong squad of 14-15 players, lacking any quality wide players. It's clear where we have to invest. An attacking full back, and a player to play where Kuyt is playing. And hopefully, a backup striker for Torres. I would expect at least a couple of players to be promoted (have I mentioned Rafa's youth system?), and complete a squad of around 20-22 players. The team will be required to gel together, but I expect Rafa's team to be completed in 2 years from now. THEN, we can do the tweaking of the squad by buying only 1-2 player every season, that Ferguson has been doing for the past several seasons.

To cut a long story, short, would I have ANYONE else takeover from Rafa? NO. I doubt there would be another manager, who could have taken the job of rebuilding like Rafa has done. We are much closer to the top, then we were 2 seasons ago, but EVERY team has improved, which makes it difficult for us. We still lack 3-4 more players to have a complete squad, to compete in all competitions. Rafa deserves at least another 2 years to build a title winning squad, and if waiting till then means, we regularly challenge for the greatest trophy in Europe, then it's fine with me :D

Rafa is not building a team, that will win the title for one season, and then fade away. He is rebuilding the club from the ground level, so that it can sustain itself for a long time. This is what Ferguson did, which resulted in 4-5 years with no success, but he persisted.

And apart from all this, Rafa is Liverpool class through and through. He is no cheater, no whiner. He's a class man, with a great sense of humor, and one of the greatest accents the football world has seen. He loves the club with a passion. He could walk into Barcelona or Inter Milan or Real Madrid, but he won't until he completes the job here.

Rafa is not without flaws, but his qualities far outweigh those flaws. I don't always agree with him, he makes some mistakes, but I couldn't ask for a better manager/person, to lead my club back to it's glory days. He's kwalitee, for sure, no?

rafathewhite.jpg

Last edited:

I will admit I've had doubts about Rafa this season, but I expect every supporter to be worried when their team doesn't perform to the standards expected of them, and the main person to blame is the manager. But the fact is (literally) Benitez clearly isn't an average manager. His pedigree is excellent and he's obviously a kwalitee manager.

The last thing we need is to throw our toys out of the pram, we need consistency and that should start with our board (:roll:), then the manager, who then brings in the players he WANTS and not players he has £10m to spend and has to make the most of his money buy buying two average players instead.

Benitez rotation is the only issue here for me. We probably need to trim the squad to 16-17 decent players rather than 26 mostly average ones. He likes to have players for every position but that wont win us the league. If you look at Uniteds squad it hasnt that much depth in numbers compared to Liverpools but it has better quality.

The side is slowly building...we've lost Agger this year who is a massive loss, a ball playing centre half with a bit of pace so next year having him back hopefully will be a big bonus. We've added Skrtel, whom apart from Sunday has been pretty impressive in his first few premier league outings. We have Masch, Gerrard, Alonso, Torres and Babel, Lucas and Reina, all very young players and a few handy ones like Crouch and Arbeloa.

We definetely need a creative player next year and maybe another striker. Defence we are solid and midfield is more or less sorted.

And we need a dose of BELIEF. We lack belief especially against Manchester United. We dont believe we can beat them and until we do we wont get over it.

Last edited:

Rotation? United have played the same team ONCE this season. Most United fans I have talked to, think it's impossible to predict what lineup Ferguson puts out. Bottom line, rotation is part of parcel of modern game. Every top club does it, the difference is, we don't have a good enough squad to carry us through the season. The rotation arguement is BS, as well as the 'Torres was rested' argument, when fact is, he was rested for only 2 games (less than what Ronaldo has rested), and it was after this that he got the injury. Co-incidence?

Can Rafa win the leagues? Of course he can. I have seen Valencia dominate La Liga for 2 seasons under him. That Valencia was a crushing machine, and I have never seen a team come to Anfield, and outplay us like Valencia did in the CL. Difference is, he inherited a squad full of world class players. Ayala, Aimar, Vicente, Albelda, Baraja, Canizares, as well as some very good players in Mista, Carew, Curro Torres etc.

In England, it's a different case. He inherited a squad, with only 4 players of any real quality, Hyypia, Didi, Gerrard and Owen. Also filled with crap in Traore, Biscan, Cisse, Le Talentless etc. Out of those 4, Hyypia and Didi were in their 30s, and Owen had left, leaving him with Steven Gerrard. Plus the fact, that English football was much less about tactics, but more about pace and power. He has had to come here, and completely rebuild the squad, similar to what Ferguson did. Difference is, alongside rebuilding the team, he also had to show some success on the field, due to which he had to buy stopgap players to sustain the team, while he slowly added real quality to the team.

Ferguson won full all in his first few seasons, but United did not sack him, and look what he's done! It's all ok for Wenger to walk into Arsenal, with arguably the best back 4 in the world, and with one of the best striker in Bergkamp, and win the league. Rafa inherited a mediocre team, which was ROTTING under Houllier, and has turned it into which most teams in Europe would fear.

And who says he doesn't beat the top teams? We have beaten the best in Europe. We have always beaten Arsenal at home in the league under Rafa, except this season, where our best central defender, our best forward, and our playmaker were injured. We have beaten Chelsea twice in Europe, we beat them last season at home, and we could/should have beaten them on both occassions this season. Our only problem is United, who are our bogey team. The problem is with the mentality. We have no problems facing the best in Europe, yet when we face United, we don't have the balls. We can't finish you off, even when we outplay you, or we just surrender down, like what happened on Sunday. This IS a problem, but you can't sack a manager on the basis of this.

I am sick and tired of the whole transfer debate. Rafa has worked on a limited budget. He has had to sell players to bring in players. You can say why he didn't spend 15M on a winger, but at the time, we needed BOTH a winger and a forward, within that budget. That's how it's worked. He's only made 2 big signings, and we know how those turned out. He has made a spine, a core for our team, that RARELY gets rotated. Apart from Kuyt, Paletta, Kromkamp he has done well. Every manager has poor transfers. Even the great Ferguson - Veron, Klerberson, Djemba Djemba, Forlan, dare I say, even Hargreaves.

I will say that we will not even win the league next season, simply because even if we do buy some top quality wide players (which Rafa will), it will take time for them to bed in. We just haven't been consistent enough this season, though there are some factors, like our best defender being out for the whole season (Imagine having Rio out for the whole season?), and the whole ownership fiasco. We are progressing. We have lost only 4 times, which is a great improvement over last season. Our away form has improved. We are finally playing some expansive football that top teams are associated with, and we are now properly demolishing teams, which we didn't earlier. Rafa has finally decided it's to settle upon a proper system, now that he has a spine to his team. We have turned our losses into draws, now it's to turn those draws into wins next season, where we may get closer to the top. We've had far too many draws, and our captain has been too inconsistent this season. I was expecting us to be closer to the top, but the league has got more competitive, we just don't have the squad to challenge at the moment. Rafa lost the plot for a while, when Pako left, and with the whole Klinsmann issue, but looks like we will be back on track. I hope we secure a 4th place, maybe push for 3rd. And sorry, it's not a 'Top 3' because we finished 3rd last two season, but no one mentioned a top 3 then.

Still, there's plenty to look forward to. Watch Babel and Lucas REALLY turn it on next season, watch Torres reach his true potential next season, and watch Mash become the best DMF in the world. And HOPEFULLY, watch Agger come back, and form a solid partnership with Skrtel.

We have a strong squad of 14-15 players, lacking any quality wide players. It's clear where we have to invest. An attacking full back, and a player to play where Kuyt is playing. And hopefully, a backup striker for Torres. I would expect at least a couple of players to be promoted (have I mentioned Rafa's youth system?), and complete a squad of around 20-22 players. The team will be required to gel together, but I expect Rafa's team to be completed in 2 years from now. THEN, we can do the tweaking of the squad by buying only 1-2 player every season, that Ferguson has been doing for the past several seasons.

To cut a long story, short, would I have ANYONE else takeover from Rafa? NO. I doubt there would be another manager, who could have taken the job of rebuilding like Rafa has done. We are much closer to the top, then we were 2 seasons ago, but EVERY team has improved, which makes it difficult for us. We still lack 3-4 more players to have a complete squad, to compete in all competitions. Rafa deserves at least another 2 years to build a title winning squad, and if waiting till then means, we regularly challenge for the greatest trophy in Europe, then it's fine with me :D

Rafa is not building a team, that will win the title for one season, and then fade away. He is rebuilding the club from the ground level, so that it can sustain itself for a long time. This is what Ferguson did, which resulted in 4-5 years with no success, but he persisted.

And apart from all this, Rafa is Liverpool class through and through. He is no cheater, no whiner. He's a class man, with a great sense of humor, and one of the greatest accents the football world has seen. He loves the club with a passion. He could walk into Barcelona or Inter Milan or Real Madrid, but he won't until he completes the job here.

Rafa is not without flaws, but his qualities far outweigh those flaws. I don't always agree with him, he makes some mistakes, but I couldn't ask for a better manager/person, to lead my club back to it's glory days. He's kwalitee, for sure, no?

rafathewhite.jpg

Excellent post mate and a really good read. :applaud:

he cant remember that far back it was before the Premiership :)

*Yawns*

Next you'll be calling all the United supporters "plastics" and start reminiscing about the Liverpool team of the 80s! :lol:

broken-record.jpg

I agree, really solid post, if a bit optimistic IMO. The main contention I have is with the argument that Rafa will bring in a couple quality wingers, a second striker (surely Crouch/Kuyt aren't good enough?) some pacy full backs and then you'll have a chance. In today's terms, unless he pulls a Wenger style trick and robs a cradle, you're not going to get that for under £60m or so. Which, unless I'm way off, is a pretty massive chunk of any profits you're making, and without a ridiculous cash injection (perhaps DIC) won't be possible. I do feel that Torres is the signing of the year, he's been a revelation, but having seen a lot of pool this season, I've not been overly impressed with Skrtel, Babel or the oft-lauded Brazilian 'starlet'. I know it takes time, and maybe they'll come out in force, but I don't get that impression.

I think what you should focus on more than a new squad is, as someone above mentioned, a motivator. Someone to get pool up for it, every game of the year, not just on the European stage.

And by the way, can we wait 20 years or so before comparing Rafa to Fergie? :)

It dont look like rafa will be there next season going by todays reports about barca!
dont think to many of you will be bothered as the poor man took a hammering in here a few weeks back (rafa out).
If he gets the chance im sure he will leg it, its been a nightmare of a season for him, i hate to watch after game reports, he looks very emotional always and struggles through it without tears...
any way looks like its going to be a very difficult derby for us with so many injuries, vaughan and cahill out for rest of the season! pienarr and yobo struggling too, aj and anichebe also doubts, so looks like the yak up front on his todd again, a draw will do for me based on this.....

The main contention I have is with the argument that Rafa will bring in a couple quality wingers, a second striker (surely Crouch/Kuyt aren't good enough?) some pacy full backs and then you'll have a chance.

They only need FIVE new players then? :lol:

Also, Rafa being there in 20 years? I don't think he'll be there in 2 years if he fucks the league up AGAIN. Football is different today. Managers are not given enough time in my opinion.

*Yawns*

Next you'll be calling all the United supporters "plastics" and start reminiscing about the Liverpool team of the 80s! :lol:

broken-record.jpg

Thats the first decent image youve posted, lovely piece of illustration.

Its easy for you because you cant remember the huff and puff it took for United to get where they are, you came in and wallowed in its peak.

It will be interesting to see what happens when fergie eventually goes - it will be a great loss i suspect - a manager whose been there twenty years and not easy to replace and more respected than anyone you could ever get to replace.

Thats the first decent image youve posted, lovely piece of illustration.

Its easy for you because you cant remember the huff and puff it took for United to get where they are, you came in and wallowed in its peak.

It will be interesting to see what happens when fergie eventually goes - it will be a great loss i suspect - a manager whose been there twenty years and not easy to replace and more respected than anyone you could ever get to replace.

Antred, I was standing on the Stretford End watching us run around drunk with Fat Ron as coach. I'm proud to see the team we've become.

Don't tarnish EVERY United supporter with the same brush. Some of us have actually supported them BEFORE the Premiership was founded. I am nearly 30, not 13. :)

They only need FIVE new players then? :lol:

Also, Rafa being there in 20 years? I don't think he'll be there in 2 years if he fucks the league up AGAIN. Football is different today. Managers are not given enough time in my opinion.

You see mate thats why i have no time for you. At least beachryan is having a discussion, you just snipe and snide your way through posts.

How the hell do you know how long he'll be here or not? Football can change overnight. I seem to remember it was the downfall of Arsenal last year after their star players did a runner and look at them now.

You see mate thats why i have no time for you. At least beachryan is having a discussion, you just snipe and snide your way through posts.

Coming from YOU?! You're the most bitter person on these forums! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom