Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

GEORGE Gillett today claimed the weakness of the US dollar in international currency markets is making it difficult for him to invest in Liverpool.

Liverpool's co-owner told journalists at the IMG World Congress of Sports that the slump in the dollar has left him frustrated.

He said: "We've invested internationally with Liverpool and with Montreal in Canada, and it's had a very positive effect on both of them from the standpoint of strengthening the value.

"On the other hand, it's made it more difficult in terms of investing in those businesses because the dollar is really tremendously weak compared to where we started. It just costs us more to send money to those franchises, those businesses."

Gillett – who also owns the Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team and the Evernham Motorsports NASCAR team, also insisted that despite the ongoing controversy of his co-ownership of the club with Tom Hicks, he is still enjoying being associated with one of the biggest names in world sport.

"I'm really enjoying all three teams, but for different reasons. In Liverpool, it's a long distance away and there's been a fair amount of controversy over there.

"In spite of that, the boys are playing very well and I'm proud of them."

Complete fix. We were always going to get an English team, and Utd were always going to get Roma.

We also have to play Arsenal THREE times in a week!

Haha and then if us and Chelsea win, it'll be a Liverpool v Chelsea final (again) :roll:

It's all set for us isn't it?

Arsenal in the quarters
Chelsea in the semis
United in the finals (though Barca might have something to say)

3 games against Arsenal in one week! And that's following the derby, and the United game. Will be a huge 2-3 weeks.

Neither do I. I didn't want either Arsenal or United.

Think we will go as underdogs in this one. Suits us fine.

It's all set for us isn't it?

Arsenal in the quarters
Chelsea in the semis
United in the finals (though Barca might have something to say)

3 games against Arsenal in one week! And that's following the derby, and the United game. Will be a huge 2-3 weeks.

Pasted from RAWK ;)

Yep. I'm not too hopeful of getting to the final as I was before the draw. Rafa isn't as good against English teams style of play and the fact we'll have all English teams from now on ... pfff!

I can see us beating the three English teams definately. But damn it's going to be hard.

You won't be underdogs though mate. You'll be favourites as this is YOUR competition as far as English clubs are concerned. You'd be favourites against us or Chelsea too.

Pasted from RAWK ;)

Yep. I'm not too hopeful of getting to the final as I was before the draw. Rafa isn't as good against English teams style of play and the fact we'll have all English teams from now on ... pfff!

I can see us beating the three English teams definately. But damn it's going to be hard.

That's me :SHHH:

You won't be underdogs though mate. You'll be favourites as this is YOUR competition as far as English clubs are concerned. You'd be favourites against us or Chelsea too.

You think so? Arsenal, Chelsea, United and Barca are all above us in terms of being favorites.

Mash vs Fabregas is going to be something :DANCE:

Don't think Arsenal will bow down for you mate.

kitty-overlord.jpg

I think that they will...

Against foreign teams we might be favourites. Against teams who are a fair distance away from us in the league, I'd say we're underdogs.

:lol: @ Sabac

Dags: What about your "European pedigree" that the pundits and you lot harp on about every other day? Why WOULD you be underdogs in a competition where you have knocked out Chelsea on BOTH occassions?

I am confident against any team in Europe. We beat the IN FORM team last year, we've done the same this year. And they have to come to Anfield for the 2nd leg. They won't know what's hit them.

:lol: @ Sabac

Dags: What about your "European pedigree" that the pundits and you lot harp on about every other day? Why WOULD you be underdogs in a competition where you have knocked out Chelsea on BOTH occassions?

We play a very different game in Europe than in the league. And when we've played Chelsea, they changed their style of play and played a more European style of football. I can't see Arsenal changing their style of play. They'll realise if they slow their game down, it gives us more of a chance.

And if we beat them, we play Chelsea. Chelsea don't have the title to challenge for, this is their priority and they'll battle like fuck to get passed us.

And then Man Utd. Who knows, but it would be a cracking game.

Liverpool v United in Europe would be too much for my heart to handle!

:lol:

Anyway, we are ALL getting carried away. People seem to forget that there is a team left in the competition who are more than capable of battering us all.

fc-barcelona-crest.jpg

Roma aren't too bad either!

I expected it to happen last time. I really do think all kinds of trouble would go off if we met in the final.

I also fear for your fans (and the oppositions) against Roma after the trouble earlier this season :(

http://forums.icnorthwest.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=33755

HMMMM!

Someone later on also posted:

"I was on phone to william hill and told them what i wanted.... it took me holding for 20mins for the lady to come back and she said to me sorry i've been instructed not to take this bet!!!!!! I said you take bets on all other draws why not this, sorry i can't answer that!!!! fiddled mate trust me. IT's russia course it is"

Liverpool v United in Europe would be too much for my heart to handle!

:lol:

Anyway, we are ALL getting carried away. People seem to forget that there is a team left in the competition who are more than capable of battering us all.

fc-barcelona-crest.jpg

Roma aren't too bad either![/spoiler]

Barcelona 1-2 Liverpool

Rafa has always been Barcelona's bogey manager. They have too many problems. But yes, they are indeed capable of spanking us all :((

Roma are pretty good too. If we don't have a freak result like last year, it could be the best match of the year in terms of attractive football.

You lot seem VERY confident about beating us over 2 leags. In case you haven't forgot, we are ahead in the league, and just dumped the holders out 2-0 in their back yard.

Its too close to call for either of us to be overly confident of making the semi final.

Gutted that the winners will be playing Chelsea though....!

Eh? Who said we're very confident? In fact, who's confident? We can win, sure. But I don't think any Liverpool or Arsenal fan is taking anything for granted mate ;)

Agree, no one is taking anything for granted. 3 games in 7 games, will be something though. And Mash vs Fabregas could be one of the greatest midfield battles in recent years. But I AM confident of beating Chelsea if we go through. And for good reason. Anyways, Fenerbahce are no walkovers. Going to Turkey will be intimidating.

Anyways, Dags is right. Draw was fixed

http://forums.icnorthwest.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=33755

Heh it'll be interesting to see if Liverpool does play their usual CL style of play AGAINST an English side.

15 Mar, 2008 Reading Barclays Premier League (H)
23 Mar, 2008 Manchester United Barclays Premier League (A)
30 Mar, 2008 Everton Barclays Premier League (H)
02 Apr, 2008 Arsenal Champions League Quarter Final (1)(A)
05 Apr, 2008 Arsenal Barclays Premier League (A)
08 Apr, 2008 Arsenal Champions League Quarter Final (2)(H)

Oh that will be so odd ....... playing Arsenal 3 times in 7 days .............

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom