Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Skrtel ALMOST gave a goal away, a very silly mistake. I hope it's not another eye problem like Sissoko. But the rest of his performance was great to see. Another Center Back for years to come.

That was a heart in the mouth open. Though Skrtel did do well to cut out his angle. But he does tend to overplay. He doesn't like hoofing, so he likes pass, but sometimes gives it a way. A little decision making issue, but he will sort it out with experience.

MOTM would be close between Pepe, Skrtel or Reina. Even Aurelio looked good. What is it now? 6 wins in a row. Let's hope we make it 7 against Reading heading into 3 very tough fixtures.

How bad was Ibrahimovic? Couldnt believe it, Ive heard he is hit and miss, but that was taking the biscuit!

Mascherano was awesome again, Skrtel is looking ace, Babel and Kuyt were awful and Torres is just special.

Bring on the Mancs!

I think you forget mate, we can beat you with 10 men.

Good result, good team performance. Loved Torres'goal, one chance - one goal. Watch and learn Zlatan :D

As for the red card, can't say I found it harsh. The 1st leg one was but this wasn't anything out of the ordenary. 1sy half foul he block Kuyt by putting his leg against kuyt's stomach. Second was a to late tackle. Gerrard got yellow for being closer to the ball, babel got a very harsh yellow for standing a meter forward after 15min with a freekick. Beni Noon got a yellow for just jumping towards the ball. In that context burdisso was just a fool for getting himself in that position.

And as for harsh on Inter, look at it this way; If you continually go down rolling around for the slightest touches its not suprising that when there is an actual late tackle players will get booked, on both sides. It works both ways and is fair punishment for the divers and rollers imo.

Great to see them get knocked out, the difference in class between them and AC is huge! I.e. Inter have none, well the players/manager anyway. The fans clapping at the end was really good!

well was looking forward to this one , not because i wanted liverpool beat (i did) but as a neautral! Again the match was ruined as a contest with inter again dropping to 10 men, the argy bloke in midfield was superb and torres looks in awesome form, if gerrard performs the rest follow, well done.

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett has finally broken his silence on his strained relationship with Tom Hicks.

Gillett has not made a public statement on the current takeover turmoil at the club since the controversial financial repackaging of the loans Hicks and Gillett took out to buy the club last year.

Gillett's son Foster - a board member - was withdrawn from the day-to-day operations at Anfield as Gillett prepared to sell his 50 per cent stake to Dubai International Capital.

Gillett, who also owns the Montreal Canadiens ice hockey club, was speaking at a sports conference in California when - answering a question on whether he would remain a co-owner of Liverpool - he said: "I would say, choose your partners wisely."

That remark explained much about the differences between Hicks and Gillett.

Gillett was appearing at the IMG world sports conference in California.

He also said: "He (Tom Hicks) is a great guy - but he has just got a different perspective on the media."

Hicks has this week been critical of DIC's use of the media to support their plans to buy out Gillett.

Dallas-based Hicks has criticised DIC's tactics and terminated talks with the Dubai-based sports empire on Monday.

This followed his complaints about leaked documents and comments from DIC that implied they would want management control despite only buying a 49 per cent stake.

He was also upset with what was considered triumphant comments that suggested DIC would soon buy his stake.

For Gillett to suggest he did not choose his partner wisely when he bought the club from former chairman David Moores says much about the current situation.

Gillett initially wanted to buy the club on his own, but brought in Hicks' financial muscle when he could not do the deal himself.

Patrick Vieira believes Liverpool will win this season's UEFA Champions League, but is desperate for his former club Arsenal to lift the trophy.

The Internazionale midfielder witnessed first hand Liverpool's European expertise on Tuesday as the Italian giants were dumped out of the last 16 of the competition 3-0 on aggregate following a 1-0 defeat at the Giuseppe Meazza.

Liverpool have reached two of the last three Champions League finals, including winning the competition in 2005, and Vieira believes that the Reds are again well placed to sample glory in Moscow on 21st May.

"Liverpool were tough opponents and they can go on and win it now," said Vieira. "They have done it before and they know exactly what it is about at this stage.

Experience

"They are in the last eight, so of course they have a great chance now but you also have to say they are the most experienced of all the sides left in the competition.

"They know how to get through these ties, as they showed against us, and they know how to win the cup. They are the side the others will want to avoid now."

However, Vieira - who left Arsenal in 2005 for a brief stay with Juventus before joining Inter the following year - is eager for his former club to win their first European Cup.

The Gunners, who suffered final defeat to Barcelona in 2006, earned rave reviews for knocking out holders Milan 2-0 at the San Siro to book their place in the quarter-finals and Vieira believes Arsene Wenger's young side will also be a force to be reckoned with.

Wonderful

"I hope Arsenal win it," Vieira added. "They have been waiting a long time to win this trophy and they deserve to win it.

"I watched them in the San Siro last week and they were incredible. It was a wonderful performance.

"They not only won, but they won brilliantly and with style and that counts a lot.

"In terms of quality they have an outstanding chance now and I really hope they do it."

HARRY KEWELL’S Liverpool career appears to be drawing to a close after he told Rafa Benitez he wants to be allowed to travel to a training camp with a young Australia side rather than work on his fitness at Melwood.

Kewell is keen to join up with an Australia squad featuring just four senior players next week while his Liverpool team-mates are preparing for the visit of Manchester United in the Premier League.

Should Benitez relieve Kewell of his Melwood duties it will be the clearest indication yet that the injury-plagued winger has no future at the club.

Kewell was not in the Liverpool squad which travelled to Milan for Tuesday’s Champions League tie and he has not played for the first team since a fleeting substitute appearance against Barnsley last month.

With his current contract due to expire this summer and with no suggestions that he will be offered a new deal, all indications are that he is now heading towards the Anfield exit door.

The Aussie training camp takes place in Singapore and national team coach Pim Verbeek had resigned himself to working with just a group of young players while the majority of his senior stars remained with their respective clubs.

But with a World Cup qualifier against China in Kunming looming on March 26 – just days before the crucial Merseyside derby – Kewell has told Verbeek he wants to take part in the training camp in a bid to build up his fitness and to be ready for international duty.

The decision about whether he is allowed to travel to the Far East now rests with Benitez and should he give Kewell the go-ahead, it will be the clearest signal yet that his five-year stint with the Reds will not be extended.

About time too. Harry was one of the world's best when he came to us, but got injury plagued, and is now, frankly, rubbish.

Best of luck, Harry.

Class stuff from RAWK

last_suppercopy.jpg

Sod off Harry, your Australia's anwser to Owen. Is anyone surprised that his "best" season was in the build-up to the WC and for every other season he has been rubbish/injured.

Rawk FTW :D :applaud::lmao::

Skrtel.gif

lampardkn1.gif

Interesting. Goals in all competitions:

1. Liverpool 97 goals (in 46 games)
2. Arsenal 93 (47)
3. Spurs 89 (47)
4. M Utd 83 (42)
5. Chelsea 81 (47)
5. Everton 77 (45)

Last edited:

Just remembered Moratti saying Inter would score 15... what a twat couldn't even get one

Probably rumour BS but think I should mention it anyway; Reports in Italy are suggesting that Marcello Lippi is gonna coach L'Pool next season. Apparently he's been seen with L'pool board members having dinner in a Tuscan restaurant. When Lippi was asked about the connection with L'pool he said something along the lines of; "Lpool is a legendary club with great oppurtunities and it would be indeed a terrific club to coach and for now, I will keep my options open. Anything can happen in football and I don't exclude any possible option." That's what they said on SkySport News last night.

Probably rumour BS but think I should mention it anyway; Reports in Italy are suggesting that Marcello Lippi is gonna coach L'Pool next season. Apparently he's been seen with L'pool board members having dinner in a Tuscan restaurant. When Lippi was asked about the connection with L'pool he said something along the lines of; "Lpool is a legendary club with great oppurtunities and it would be indeed a terrific club to coach and for now, I will keep my options open. Anything can happen in football and I don't exclude any possible option." That's what they said on SkySport News last night.

If Dicks stays, Rafa will also stay. If DIC come, then it may be different. But after Rafa, Lippi would be my choice for coach.

But didn't Lippi reject AC Milan's offer, because they weren't ready to buy the players they wanted. Might be the same problem here.

@PJG, where did you get this? The design showed by Dicks was different wasn't it?

I think Lippi is satisfied with the current team and would like some other players aswell. He has said alot of positive things about Skrtel, Torres, Gerard etc. It's a different matter over at Milan where the majority of players have already reached their ceiling. IMO, if Lippi comes to Lpool, you would win everything there is to win and more. He would provide that little touch more that is needed for Lpool to become practically invincible.

I think Lippi is satisfied with the current team and would like some other players aswell. He has said alot of positive things about Skrtel, Torres, Gerard etc. It's a different matter over at Milan where the majority of players have already reached their ceiling. IMO, if Lippi comes to Lpool, you would win everything there is to win and more. He would provide that little touch more that is needed for Lpool to become practically invincible.

Would agree. Lippi has won everything there is to win. We only need 2-3 players in wide positions.

But I love Rafa :(

He'd still be my choice any day. Players like Mash, Torres and Reina are here because of him. And you can't make stuff like this with Lippi

rafadanceschoolrd5.gif

Back
Top Bottom