Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

ninjabreakz said:
Do you guys think that L`pool can do it? (Make the last Champions League place). Hands on hearts?

100% sure we'll finish 4th now after this weekends results, we didn't play well yesterday but managed to get the 3 points and thats all that matters at this stage of the season, everton have bottled it and have lost 4 of their last 5 league games and have to play man united at woodison then go to arsenal and bolton, i can't see them picking up many more points now

thanks a lot west brom, great result today and i can't wait until we overtake the bitter bastards :mrgreen:

Can't believe I'm starting to get excited about 4th place. A sign of the times.:(

crayon said:
Can't believe I'm starting to get excited about 4th place. A sign of the times.:(

Yup, it seems the top 3 have a league of their own and we are battling with everyone else in the 2nd division of the Premiership

i've always been a big believer that only the league champions should be in the european cup and haven't been too bothered in the past when we've missed out on qualifying through 3rd or 4th place but for some reason i feel different about it this season

part of it is down to great nights at anfield this season against monaco, olympiacos, leverkusen and hopefully juve on tuesday, i want more of the same next season, the main reason though is i think we've got potentially one of the best coaches in europe who will turn us into a great side again but for that to happen we need to be playing in the champions league

this season has seen ups and downs with little consistency and all the injuries haven't helped either, next season the squad should be more settled, the deadwood will be gone in the summer and providing we qualify for the cl rafa will be able to bring 2 or 3 quality signings into the side, i don't think we will win the league next season but we should be capable of closing the massive gap

this is how many points we've dropped this season against teams we should be capable of beating

birmingham 6
blackburn 4
bolton 3
everton 3
middlesbrough 3 (only played once)
portsmouth 2 (only played once)
southampton 3

thats 24 points dropped and even if we'd picked up just half of them we'd be chasing united and arsenal and be well clear of everton and bolton

next season i expect us to pick up more points in games like these and close the gap on the top 3

Well analysed fishcake. Looking at those sides, it is something that has happened for the last few seasons - doing well against good sides and letting ourselves down against the average ones. Looking forward to the new players in the summer. Hope I don't have to take my Spanish dictionary to matches just to read the teamsheet though.:D

Very much looking forward to this one, hopefully we can re-produce a performance like the games against Monaco, Olympiakos etc.

...But lets not kid ourselves we are the clear underdogs and to get past Juve we need a win today, 0-0 is no good for Liverpool and we know very well how bloody stubborn Juve are at home, Xabi Alonso has recovered and should be on the bench
icon_biggrin.gif
but the key for Liverpool is Gerrard he has to perform exceptionally well especially coming up against Nedved & Emerson. Baros has to prove his worth he's been average since he came back from injury and the back four have to be on top of their game (which they have been recently)

Come on Liverpool, It's now or never!!!

3.45am start for me unfortunately. 8) Not going to have too many problems staying awake tonight though. :shock: I hope Liverpool have a real go at them but play it clever so they're not vulnerable to the counter.I agree with you Mo, 0-0 won't be good enough.

A 1-0 win would do me tonight.

There is no doubt this is probably the biggest game for us this season so the lads should be up for it, anyone who doesnt really care should leave now

Hey guys, just wanna say GOOD LUCK for tonight! I'll be cheering you on from my sofa!!! :mryellow:

massive game this, since we got back into europe there's been some big games but this is the biggest game i can remember in the past 20 years

i think we'll beat them tonight but just hope we can keep a clean sheet, don't think we'll win the tie overall though as i don't fancy our chances in the delle alpi

anyways i'm at the game tonight, i had a late night last night hoping to have a lay in this morning but was wide awake at half 6 and my stomachs been in knots all day with a mixture of excitement and nerves so i can't wait to get out later for a few bevvies then get in the ground

the atmosphere should be special tonight, there's a few things being done to remember the victims of heysel and a minutes silence before the game then we'll hit them with a wall of noise, hopefully the players will repond and put in a great performance

Hope you have a great time tonight once the game gets started, fishcake (don't some people still call them savouries?). I'll be watching from my sofa like Tim7 (thanks for the best wishes, Tim) and believe me I'll be gunning a few cans down tonight too......no doubt in the first twenty and last twenty minutes.:D

As the day rolls on I am more and more nervous/excited about tonights game, I blame Sky Sports News for mentioning it every half hour.

Alonso will be on the bench tonight and Sami will be back in the starting line up, wonder if Gerrard or Biscan will start in midfield ;)

I hope they both start but don't make the same runs. As for Sky Sports, well, it's J-Sky Sports over here and I just have the footy pack so am saved the living hell of updates every 30 mins. Evo-web is enough.

Benitez will probably use Xabi fully for the second leg. Even more great news is that Cisse is back to full training and could be back playing next month.

Juventus boss Fabio Capello insists his side will "act in an exemplary manner" as they face Liverpool for the first time since the Heysel disaster.

The tactician made the statement as the two sides prepare to meet at Anfield on Tuesday, in the first leg of their Champions’ League quarter-final.

"We will need to act in an exemplary manner," said the Coach after 39 fans lost their lives before the 1985 European Cup Final.

"That was a terrible tragedy but we need to be good enough to try to just concentrate on the game, leaving thoughts of Heysel and the Pope’s death to one side.

"We are professionals and we must do our work in the best way possible."

Juventus go into the game as favourites to qualify but the Italian isn’t taking anything for granted.

"They’ll probably play with only one striker but I don’t feel that will be an advantage for us," he added.

"How is David Trezeguet? The fact that he has been included in the squad means that he is available to play."

The Frenchman is likely to start on the bench though because of an ankle problem, meaning that Zlatan Ibrahimovic will be partnered by Alessandro Del Piero in attack.

"It is an important game in which winning is all that counts," stated Del Piero on Monday evening.

"We are looking to score and take home a victory. Liverpool are a strong side, especially at home, but we are prepared to win."

The captain also commented on the Heysel disaster. "I was watching the game with some friends," he recalled.

"When it became clear what was happening, my father sent me outside to play football in the courtyard. Only when I grew up did I understand what happened that night in Brussels."

Meanwhile, UEFA have confirmed that all games this week will be preceded by a minute’s silence in memory of Pope John Paul II.

Juventus (probable): Buffon; Zebina, Cannavaro, Thuram, Zambrotta; Camoranesi, Emerson, Blasi, Nedved; Del Piero, Ibrahimovic

Forza Juve

fishcake said:
the atmosphere should be special tonight, there's a few things being done to remember the victims of heysel and a minutes silence before the game then we'll hit them with a wall of noise, hopefully the players will repond and put in a great performance

They're planning to get the squad of that year to showup before the game. Paolo Rossi, Juve player during the final and commentator for Sky tonight, was one who was asked to show up. Platini and Boniek aswell.

I have some very bad news:(

Juventus star Pavel Nedved has threatened to quit at the end of the season if he continues to be plagued by injury.

The Czech ace will return to the side against Liverpool tonight in what could be one of his last Champions’ League appearances for the club.

"How am I? I don’t know to be honest," stated the midfielder who has spent the last five weeks on the sidelines.

"I haven’t played properly for months. It has been a disaster for me since the European Championships," he added.

"I picked up blows to my knee and my head. If it goes on like this, I’ll retire at the end of the season."

Nedved had previously stated that he would hang up his boots when his contract expires in 2006.

But he’s so frustrated with the last 12 months that he seems to be seriously considering his future.

"It’s better to quit before you are ruined," he added. "Health comes first in life. After all, football isn’t the only reason for my existence."

Nedved’s fitness problems started last summer when he picked up a serious knee injury in the Euro 2004 semi-final against Greece.

He then sustained another blow to the same knee in January during a League victory against Brescia.

Nedved returned to the side for the Champions’ League trip to Real Madrid, but he didn’t last the 90 minutes as he was knocked unconscious following an accidental clash of heads.

The player was hospitalised for a few days but he has now been given the green light to return to the Bianconeri midfield.

He is a decent, down to earth guy by the looks of it - " football isn’t the only reason for my existence." Lee Bowyer, listen and learn.

Yep, i've got the beers in and my projector set up... wish I could have made it to the game. It's getting to that time of the day where I feel like I can't wait any longer. I just hope it's a great game with no trouble. Would be nice to put some ghosts to rest over these two legs. Regardless of what happens, we've had a great season in the Champions League.

Im so Exited I Pissed in my pants :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

But hopfully this can be a good old classic game, can anyone here please post the formation for liverpool tonight??
heres juve prob

------------------Buffon---------------------

---------Thuram--------Cannavaro---------------
--Zebina-----------------------------Zambrotta-

------------Blasi-----Emerson------------------

--Camoranese----------------------Nedved (might not play)

-----------------------------Del Piro----------
-----Ibrahivomich------------------------------

THEN GOALLLLLL

pk9 said:
ur not the only one danwin hope its a good attacking game good luck pool and juve

Don't bet on it being an attacking game though, liverpool (forced to) play with one striker and juve will play like good old juventus.

Anyway I don't expect anything to happen, concerning the supporters.

Match prediction: 0-1, early winner for juventus. Otherwise 0-0.

Too bad El Moro is cup-tied. Here's hoping for a good match.
Forza Liverpool!! :lol:

Forza la Juve stiamo Noi per vincere.....
Good Luck lads..

Forza Juve.

Back
Top Bottom