Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

It was always going to take time for Benitez to build up the squad. Unlike Mourinho, Benitez didn't have someone like Ranieri at the club before he came in to build on the foundations. Houllier's signings were a load of crap. Im sure once the squad has settled with the Spaniards and a couple signings are made in the summer, you guys will be challenging for the top 3 places next year. Its sad however that you'll have to miss out on the Champions League. However, if you guys concentrate soley on the Champions League this year, you could get automatic qualification. A performance against Bayern Munich showed that Liverpool definitely had the potential.

ye of little faith (Cwright?) - EFC0 BRFC1 (actually, I wasn't expecting it either...) Wonderful game, football, isn't it?

Yet again the those Blue nosers, Boro and Charlton slip up and we still didn't manage to capatilise on it I reckon the derby game at home will be the decider.

I'll just keep up the hope for us in the CL(all we need is to score first and then we can defend as deep as we like)

Little tibit - Wrexham's new spanish starlet Juan Ugarte who hit five goals on saturday for them and that's like his 3rd hatrick so far had a trial earlier on in the season with Liverpool thanks to Alonso .

Reds step up Mintal hunt
by Vasek Kadlec - created on 7 Mar 2005

Liverpool have reportedly stepped up their interest in Nurnberg's
free-scoring midfielder Marek Mintal.

The Slovakia international's stunning exploits this season are
rumoured to have caught the eye of Reds boss Rafa Benitez.

Mintal has scored 19 goals in 24 Bundesliga appearances this term,
despite operating in midfield and playing in a team just outside the
relegation zone.

He was first linked with Liverpool during January's transfer window,
with German media reports claiming the Premiership club had contacted
Mintal's agent.

But renewed speculation suggests The Reds have increased that a notch
by lodging a €4 million (£2.75 million) offer for the player.

Nurnberg, though, would be reluctant sellers after officials at the
club admitted Mintal is their shining light.

"Mintal is our jewel," Nurnberg chief Michael Roth told the club's
official website. "He is the shop window of our club."

Nurnberg boss Wolfgang Wolf, who also eulogised about the 27-year-old,
conceding it would be virtually impossible to snare a replacement for
Mintal.

Wolf said: "Marek is irreplaceable for us and, in addition, his market
price increases with every goal he scores."

Mintal joined Nurnberg from Zilina in 2003 and is under contract until
2008, but the Bundesliga side's resolve may be tested in the summer.

With doubts persisting about the future of Reds captain Steven
Gerrard, Benitez may perceive Mintal to be an ideal replacement for
his talisman.

Never ever for 4 Million €, put it up by 2 and give us Baros and we will be happy :mrgreen:

crayon said:
Baros....you can have him for 8 million!!

Sounds cheap! ;) Whatever, please first kick out the stupid Leverkusen Pills of the CL :applause:

Kewell is out of tomorrows game due to a recurrence of his ankle injury. Just as he was getting back into the swing og things as well

There was mixed news on the injury front for Liverpool with the news that Harry Kewell will miss the trip to Bayer Leverkusen but Rafael Benitez welcomes back Dietmar Hamann and Jerzy Dudek.

Kewell has still not recovered from the ankle problem that has kept him out for long periods this season but the return of Hamann and Dudek in Leverkusen will give the Reds a big boost.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez said: "Kewell is out but Didi and Jerzy will both return. Didi is a good player and he is important for us. He has experience and talks all the time on the pitch which is important. I will talk with Didi about Leverkusen because he knows the mentality of German teams which will be important for us.

"I have confidence in Jerzy and he is fit to play. Scott Carson did well at Newcastle but he didn't have a lot to do. Jerzy played very well against Leverkusen at Anfield and I know he let a goal in at the end but he made two or three very good saves."

That news from the official site. Good to hear that Didi is back, the guy is a big player and rarely gets the credit for doing the donkey work

Hamann will be absolutely vital to us tonight....he can protect the back four
from the expected onslaught.
Biscan is also in tonight...to support Hamann and provide some extra
cover for Gerrard.
Interesting to see how Gerrard will link up with Baros

Hope we win tonight...c'mon lads!!!

Jerzy Dudek, Dietmar Hamann and Stephen Warnock are all back in the Liverpool starting eleven for tonight's crucial Champions League tie against Bayer Leverkusen at the BayArena.

Out go Scott Carson (on the bench), Vladimir Smicer (on the bench) and Mauricio Pellegrino (cup-tied).

Team in full: Dudek, Finnan, Warnock, Riise, Hyypia, Carragher, Gerrard, Hamann, Garcia, Baros, Biscan. Subs - Carson, Raven, Potter, Smicer, Welsh, Raven, Le Tallec, Nunez.

Probably the best side we could field given our injuries. Lets hope for a good result

Hopfully Dudek wont make a stupid mistake like last time.

Yeah well done liverpool. lets see you do so well against Milian or another top team in the next round, it may be a different story.

fuckin great performance tonight, leverkusen were poor but they managed to score 3 against real, roma and dynamo kiev in the group stage so you can't say they're a poor side, they had a lot of players missing but so did we

most people in the media had written us off after the late goal at anfield, well they can fuck off and i bet we get no credit for it in the papers tomorrow, if it was chelsea who'd beat them 3-0 the press would be creaming themselves

the fans out there we brilliant and fair play to leverkusen as well playing YNWA at the end, great scenes

great job by rafa as well, he went to a bar in colonge last night to watch the chelsea game with about 500 liverpool fans then got that performance out of the lads tonight

great win albeit against a depleted Leverkusen team.
I think the difference between us and teams like Real/Roma who lost
was that we never underestimated Leverkusen.
We knew what they were capable of, and planned our tactics perfectly.
If we just sat back and defended, we may have lost.

Anyway, we're in the Q-finals, and like Rafa said, it does'nt matter
who we get, our home form is pretty impressive and we should beat
any team at home.
The remaining teams:
AC Milan, Chelsea, Lyon, PSV, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Inter/Porto.
If we can avoid Milan and Juve till later on, then we have a great
chance. My hope is that the good teams will knock each other out.

Doesn't matter how you do it or who it is against, the result is everything. It was the best I've seen Liverpool play away from home for a while. Hitting Leverkusen on the counter worked perfectly and it was all but over by half-time. Very happy - just want to avoid Milan until the semi's or final. We have as good a chance as any.

What a great game that was, considering everyone had written us off I think we did exactly what we needed to. It shows what a difference it makes when we actually go all out to win a game rather than the `sit back and hit a team on the break` tactic.

No bad teams left in the tourny now so it doesnt really matter who we get.

Anyone know why the Inter V Porto game wasnt played this week?

CWright said:
No bad teams left in the tourny now so it doesnt really matter who we get.

Anyone know why the Inter V Porto game wasnt played this week?

I think it's got something to do with the fact that AC Milan were playing home and so Inter's game was pushed forward a week 'cause they both play at the San Siro...anyone confirm?

True, no bad teams left but if we could draw PSV in the quarters and then get Chelski in the semis or even in the final that would be sweet 'cause I don't think there is anything between us except the consistency and Chelsea have had a lot of luck lately (Carling Cup, Barcelona who completely outplayed them if it wasn't for their poor defence) one thing is for sure is I'm praying we don't draw an Italian team they are so bloody organised

it's gonna be tough whoever we draw, don't fancy our chances against milan, juve or bayern but think we stand a chance if we draw any of the other teams

Yup, Milan and Inter home stadium probs is why it was delayed for a week. Just found out from the radio! By the way, fishcake - nice avatar!!!

i know why, because milan and Inter both played home at the first leg. So they had to arrange. Inter will play a week later.

juventus11 said:
i know why, because milan and Inter both played home at the first leg. So they had to arrange. Inter will play a week later.

Thanks for confirming that for the 3rd time, do you actually read what other people post before you come up with your inane bullshit?

CWright said:
Thanks for confirming that for the 3rd time, do you actually read what other people post before you come up with your inane bullshit?
Sounds like someone's having a crap day. Cheer up, CWright, and don't let the b****rds grind you down! :mrgreen:

I posted that to confirm it because people were not 100% sure.. sorry for the mistake.
And im not a basterd my parents arent divorced:)

juventus11 said:
I posted that to confirm it because people were not 100% sure.. sorry for the mistake.
And im not a basterd my parents arent divorced:)
Just kidding ;) -I didn't mean it literally, just a commonly used phrase in the UK muttered by an ex-(useless)Prime Minister. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom