Liverpool Thread

Re: The Suarez (Liverpool) Thread

I would hold Reina honestly but if we have to bring an other one that would be Begovic

Menez ? I would be surprised if we get him , he's so quality and I would be more than happy to see him at Liverpool , he's really class and I'm not sure if he's getting a lot of min's on PSG so he can be looking for a new team as well !

yeah we need at last one center defender or better say two of them , one young and one quality starter CB !

I'm happy about Sturridge and Coutinho so far , they (special sturridge) has bring us more quality team and we are better on atack with him and there is more space for Suarez too

if keep Suarez and bring a quality player like Menez and 3-4 more players (including 1-2 CB) than I think next season we can be on top 4 !

you know its too early to say what will happen. ya begovic is top class but there's other teams chasing him too.

liverpool already inquired about him but he is too expensive.And the last I heard man united are very interested in him and so is he !

mignolet would be descent.

menez wont happen imo just like sanchez but any of those would be ideal for liverpool system.I hope we bring someone similar of that class.but you can be assure about that rodgers will bring quality young players at the right price. no doubt !

rodgers also said he wants 2 same quality players in all position so that he can rotate the squad as he likes and I think we will achieve it next season.

The issue for LFC making top 4 is that it's kind of out of your hands.

Chelsea have and will have a better squad than LFC. Not much you can do about that, especially if the expected Torres + mountain of oil cash for Falcao takes place.

United despite their weaknesses still seem guaranteed for top 4

If City don't win the league this year, you just know they're going to go all out in the summer. Even if they don't, they need to replace Johnson, Lescott and Balotelli (and possibly Dzeko). I expect a tier 1 striker and winger at least.

Tottenham have a genuinely class first XI, and I don't believe Bale will leave this year. If they can pad about the squad and get in a striker (any striker) they'll still be in a better position than LFC imo. They're also reasonably young.

Finally there's Arsenal. Currently Arsenal's squad is above LFCs, but they're massively underperforming given the talent levels. If Wenger stays, I can't see them being this bad again. If he leaves, who knows wha twill happen.

Anyway, my point is that to make the top 4 you need 2 of those above to fall out. That's what I struggle to see.

Gerrard has been your second most influential player in the league this year, and how much longer can he really last? Will Suarez really be this good again?

I agree with most of what you say. Certainly Chelsea, City and Man United look like the top 3. Occasionally one of these might slip down a little but 9 times out of 10 you would expect these teams to take 3 of the 4 CL places. As you say it looks like a battle between Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool for that 4th spot. Spurs on paper are the strongest but they have issues with strikers and the defensive spine of the team is a bit suspect. They dont have that much strength in depth and if they do make the CL then they really need to buy some more good players to compete on 2 fronts. Injuries to Sandro and Kaboul have already stretched the squad a bit and more injuries could happen if they are playing CL football, their league form could slip a little if they focus on the CL (the same thing has happened at times to Napoli, Lazio and even Spurs themselves 2-3 years ago in the CL).

I think Arsenal and Liverpool are pretty much level in terms of talent in the squad. I think Liverpool are more solid in terms of players like Agger, Skrtel and Lucas, these players would get in the Arsenal team or at least on the bench, whereas I don't know if that many of Arsenal's back for (or the nonexistant defensive midfielders) would get in Liverpool's team.

In attacking midfield Arsenal probably shade it, certainly Cazorla would probably get in the Liverpool team as would Wilshire (as a central midfielder). Up front Liverpool's combination of, say Suarez, Sturridge and maybe Coutinho in a front 3 would be probably just ahead of Podolski, Walcott and Giroud, although on the bench in attack I'd favour Arsenal. I really think it could be 50:50 next year between Arsenal and Liverpool, much will depend on who comes and goes in the summer, as it is I'd slightly favour Liverpool.

The Borussia Dortmund loanee has blamed the Reds manager for his unsuccessful spell on Merseyside earlier this season, complaining that he played him in out of position

Borussia Dortmund midfielder Nuri Sahin has hit out at Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers following his unsuccessful loan spell at Anfield.

Sahin joined the Reds from Real Madrid on a season-long deal in August but the agreement was terminated in January after the Turkish playmaker made just seven Premier League appearances.

The 24-year-old has since sealed an 18-month loan move to former side Dortmund and blamed Rodgers for playing him in the wrong position during his time on Merseyside.

"I did not fail at Liverpool," Sahin told AS. "Brendan Rodgers wanted me to play as a '10'. But I do not play behind the forwards. I spoke with him and asked him why I was playing there. It is not my real position.

"The boss could not answer me... still, I do not regret it. To play in the red jersey and at Anfield is something marvellous. Maybe if I had not gone there I would not have been able to return to Borussia Dortmund. For that, I am happy. But I have left Brendan Rodgers, thank God."

Sahin insisted that his relationship with Jose Mourinho remains healthy despite his lack of opportunites in Madrid before adding that recent results over Manchester United and, domestically, Barcelona prove los Blancos' credentials in the Champions League.

"We speak often on the telephone," he added. "We chat about football and life. The boss feels good. I believe the game against Manchester United is very important for Madrid. Now they are in a perfect position.

"People talk more about [referee] Cuneyt Cakir's decision [to send off Nani] than Madrid's performance, but Madrid played a very good game. They are going very well. It is not easy to beat Barcelona twice. The truth is Madrid are one of the big favourites for the Champions League."

goal.com

Top 4 will be very hard.

Man U, Man C are in a league of their own.
Spurs is rapidly improving, but if they lose Bale, then it will be hard for them.
Chelsea will buy a lot of players and with a better manager I can see them challenge for the title pretty soon.

So that leaves us battling with Arsenal, Everton and Swansea for the 5th Europa league spot.

Our only hope is that Gareth Bale leaves Spurs.

Top 4 will be very hard.

Man U, Man C are in a league of their own.
Spurs is rapidly improving, but if they lose Bale, then it will be hard for them.
Chelsea will buy a lot of players and with a better manager I can see them challenge for the title pretty soon.

So that leaves us battling with Arsenal, Everton and Swansea for the 5th Europa league spot.

Our only hope is that Gareth Bale leaves Spurs.

why we always have to hope on other teams ? I really hate when Liverpool fans always look at this things and always have to hope on other teams play bad or lose one match and stuff like this

Tottenham are'nt better than us at all , they are just playing better atm , so we have to play better and don't care if city , united , spurs etc win or lose or anything , spurs is living from Bale (yeah its 11 players but if they didn't have bale they would be behind us this season) , we "were" about same with only Suarez on team , but from sturridge has came on Liverpool things have changed and now coutinho too and also Lucas is back so we dont lack that much on quality , I really don't see a team like tottenham better than us at all , if we keep Suarez and bring 2-3 new names in summer and we want to be on top 4 than we have some chances just need to fight much for that and not hope "this" or "that" team lose matchs , it dosnt work on this way

---------Sturridge---------------
---------------------Suarez-------
-Coutinho-------------------Downing (or new quality sign on summer)
------------------------------------
-----------------Gerrard (henderson or new sign)-
-----------Lucas--------------------
------------------------------------
-Enrique---------------------Johnson-
--------Agger--------Skrtle(new sign)-
--------------------------------------
---------------Reina------------------

this team even how it is looks better than Tottenham one , we need to play and try harder coz no one give top4 as a gift to us , but I see some really posstive progres on Liverpool team and im exited about next season , I think we are going on good way this season !

I think the only Liverpool players who would get in the Spurs team are Johnson (tho he's similar to walker in that he's a pretty poor defender), Suarez and either Sturridge or Gerrard, depending on formation)

If Spurs had been without Bale they'd probably still be fighting for a Europa spot.

If Liverpool had been without Suarez they'd be quite a bit off the pace, bottom half with the likes of West Ham.

Liverpool are improving, no doubt there, but their fans seem more giddy to me than the avg fan.

what liverpool needs is to concentrate on themselfs and continue playing as a team... that will make the difference...

consistency could get us higher this season... and i don´t mind if we win ugly in that process.

Ffs, liverpool are lucky not to be 3-0 down atm, after 20 min.!

Utter shambles, allen is losing every ball he is getting and looks injured, skrtl and agger are too busy defending the man instead of just looking to win the ball! Shocking so far.

yeah we are lucky to don't get more than 2 goals on 1st half , but still im happy with late goal we score so I think we can comback on 2nd half (of course we have to play way much better than how we did on first half) but this late goal will bring moral up and make players believe they can comback and win match , I'm really hoping this 1st shocking half its to be forget at the end of the day !

C'mon Liverpool

We are realy in shock atm.. Coutinho goal could chainge our game..

The lines referee made two cruicial mistakes becouse both chances were not offside.

Coutinho is turning up to be vital at the moment, hope he could manage to keep this form.

@PIPA23
Please, try to write the words CHANGE, CRUCIAL, PREFER correctly, because your English in general is very good but when I see "chainge", "cruicial" and "prefeur" I really freak out! :D Sorry for saying this but I needed to get it off my chest! :D

we had bad tactics today..we basicly played with two players in midfield, from wich Allen looked very poor, coming from injury... we missed Lucas + Henderson should start over Allen imo...

+ playing with two strikers and two wingers away at a team who is in battle to stay in PL...i knew this would be hard to win even if we played 433... Allen shouldn´t play today and Rodgers shouldn´t chainge the Tottenham winning team formation... Carra should start couse he is the only leader on pitch, to be fair,Stevie is very quiet captain...nobody was there to organise the defence...

Carra will be VERY missed in this area...

I think Rodgers lost it today. Again, a completely unbalanced formation. With this tactic it is impossible to win constistently, he is trying to play all of the players but he should priorize tactics before players. Really, I dont understand how a team with Coutinho-Sturridge-Suarez-Downing and the only central midfielders Gerrard-Allen would work. That is something you do in Playstation, not in real football.

Tottenham have a genuinely class first XI, and I don't believe Bale will leave this year. If they can pad about the squad and get in a striker (any striker) they'll still be in a better position than LFC imo. They're also reasonably young.

Finally there's Arsenal. Currently Arsenal's squad is above LFCs, but they're massively underperforming given the talent levels. If Wenger stays, I can't see them being this bad again. If he leaves, who knows wha twill happen.

Anyway, my point is that to make the top 4 you need 2 of those above to fall out. That's what I struggle to see.

Gerrard has been your second most influential player in the league this year, and how much longer can he really last? Will Suarez really be this good again?

I honestly don't believe Spurs have a significantly better first XI than pool - yes, defensively (their 2 CB especially) play much better as a unit and is superior pool - but I think I have tried to argue this earlier - in terms of overall attack, the teams are pretty level.

I mean, Dempsey, Sigurdsson, Lennon haven't been particularly great. Dempsey's been dropped since Bale moved into the central role but their other wingers aren't exactly show-stoppers.

Overall, including their reserves however, their squad is significantly better than Pool's, who always seem to be just one injury away to suddenly struggling to put out a presentable first XI.

I honestly think that Arsenal have slipped almost as much as pool - they have a lot of financial uncertainty regarding how much money Wenger (or who ever) will be given to spend. They need a serious rebuilding effort at a similar scale of pool to be honest if they are to compete for silverware for an extended period of time. They have been stuck as a club on the edge of big things for years now but never have seemed to get over bump.

I keep harping on about it but teams need to build from the back and liverpool have had issues in the back for years now and nothing has been done. It seems Pool are again throwing money in the wrong directions. Hopefully now that Carra's retiring someone takes a good hard look at the back line and says crap - we need some serious upgrading and depth there. Consistency is the name of the game for defensive players and agger, skrtel, and allen when played in the more defensive midfield role are all prone to committing serious errors.

I guess in the end getting Europe honestly doesn't seem that hard to get to - a few smart buys here and there plus Rodgers deciding to put out a team and plan for the occasion rather than his ideals and Pool could quite easily compete for a european place.

I think Rodgers lost it today. Again, a completely unbalanced formation. With this tactic it is impossible to win constistently, he is trying to play all of the players but he should priorize tactics before players. Really, I dont understand how a team with Coutinho-Sturridge-Suarez-Downing and the only central midfielders Gerrard-Allen would work. That is something you do in Playstation, not in real football.

MMMmmm - yes Rodgers was poor, not because of the first xi necessarily (although Allen's name should be purged from liverpool team sheet it all honesty).

He tried to overwhelm what has been a poor team with firepower. what was disappointing was his LACK of a decision when swansea's midfield began running over Pool's.

His idiot decision not to play a Lucas - a true ball-winning defensive mid, rather than a holding mid like Allen was COMPOUNDED by his inability to effect any change to strengthen the midfield - not necessarily through subs, but he could have got downing to drop back a bit more to offer a bit more support in the center and switched more to a 4-3-3 rather than what in essence was a 4-2-4.

Overall in the prem league the absolute importance of dominating the center of midfield has come to the forefront in recent years with the demise of the 4-4-2 and the almost ubiquitous use of the 4-2-3-1 with a triangle of 3 central midfielders. I just can't understand why he didn't make changes - how long does it take for you to realise stuffs not going right? 20 min in he should have hit the abort button and pulled downing in and the forward line in to try and get more possession.

At times it looked like Pool couldnt string 2 passes together. Made bloody Soton look like the midfield of Juventus.

becouse we had no midfield balance...to start with just Gerrard and Allen in midfield when we play against a team who is fighting for survival in PL...? Lucas, Gerrard and Henderson should start, with Sturridge, Downing and Suarez up front.. bringing on Coutinho later and resting Allen...

we were outplayed becouse our poor midfield yesterday imo.. Downing had to move back and Sturridge with Suarez often run and didn´t know what exactly to do..

i think it was bad managment yesterday..

I have said it before (many times) and I will say it again

we are two different teams without lucas.

one person changes how we play and perform so much, credit to him but also shows how vulnerable we really are.

Henderson before Allen everytime

I totally agree about Allen, I just can't see why he was started ahead of Lucas and even Henderson.

This is why I say we're lightweight in midfield. Allen is not a defensive holding midfielder, nor a playmaker.
He's a ball circulator, and I think even Henderson does that job the same with a greater eye for the through ball and Henderson has a better eye for goal.

I did'nt watch the game, but if you guys are saying that we played 4-2-4 with Gerrard and Allen in the middle, then Rodgers needs to take the blame instead of just saying it was a "bad day at the office".

We need to find some "generals" in both defence and midfield.

This is why I say we're lightweight in midfield. Allen is not a defensive holding midfielder, nor a playmaker.
He's a ball circulator, and I think even Henderson does that job the same with a greater eye for the through ball and Henderson has a better eye for goal.

I think there is a slight difference between a holding midfielder and defensive mid -

a defensive mid is an evolution of the sweeper - in essence, a ball winner.

A 'holding' midfielder is a player like Allen that tries and link defense to attack.

The thing is the way Rodgers is playing Gerrard, Gerrard is in that linking role. Allen doesn't get up the pitch far enough to support the strikers like say Scholes or Xavi do and use short probing passes to test the defense or play through balls (and he doesn't have the vision of Xabi Alonso or gerrard or Cabaye or Toure) to play the the longer ball.

I don't get what he adds to the team.

And playing him with a slight injury? Ridiculous.

It's not that conclusive: "I am very happy at Liverpool but you never know in football," said Suárez, speaking in his homeland before Uruguay's World Cup qualifier with Paraguay on Friday, and reported by the Liverpool Echo.

"A player's ambition is always there, the ambition of wanting to play in elite teams is always there.

"I'm in a world-class team, an elite team like Liverpool. We have to realise we have a new manager who is imposing a philosophy and a way of playing that the players are adapting to as best we can. We hope that it will bear fruit next year.

"If another team comes around with more prospects of competing in international club competition games, which is willing to have me, they are welcome.

"We would talk to the club, we would see if I want to go, if I don't want to go."

It's international week, what do you expect coming out of their poisonous articles? They have nothing better to write.

Looks like he has left the door open for any big offers to come this summer.

I won't blame him if he left to join Bayern/Barca/Real who are the top 3 teams in Europe.

It would be a massive blow to the club who are just beginning to recover after the huge waste of money on Carroll and Downing.

Just hope we don't waste the resulting 40-50m we get on useless players.

Back
Top Bottom