Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Daniel Sturridge to have Liverpool FC medical ahead of £12m transfer

By James Pearce Dec 22 2012

DANIEL STURRIDGE is set to undergo a medical tomorrow as he prepares to make a £12million move to Liverpool FC.

The Reds are ready to complete the deal with Chelsea after a dispute with the striker's representatives was resolved.

It emerged earlier this week that a fee had been agreed with the Londoners for the 23-year-old frontman but there was a problem over the cash demands of his agent.

LFC boss Brendan Rodgers was always confident the issues would be sorted out but warned the club wouldn't be held to ransom.

He was prepared to walk away from the deal and had lined up Paris Saint Germain striker Kevin Gameiro as an alternative option.

However, an agreement has now been reached and Sturridge is expected on Merseyside on Sunday to have his medical.

It's unlikely there will be any official confirmation of Sturridge's move to Anfield until after the transfer window opens on January 1.

Sturridge, who has four England caps, has scored 24 goals in 49 starts and 47 substitute appearances since his arrival from Manchester City in the summer of 2009.

He enjoyed a successful loan spell at Bolton in the 2010/11 season when he netted eight times in 12 games.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...edical-ahead-of-12m-transfer-100252-32482239/

I'd rather have Gameiro because Sturridge is not the type of striker we need right now, but I'd welcome him no matter what.
I hope he'll change his attitude and quit being a selfish prick cause he's got great potential.

I've seen him play a lot while he was still playing for Lorient if I'm not wrong and I can tell you he's a much better option than Sturridge because he's a goal poacher.
His chances are limited now in PSG, so I think we should try and loan him until the end of the season, he'd be a very important addition if it happens.

Last edited:

Well I'm glad we are atleast getting a forward to help Suarez. Although Sturridge was not my first choice, at least we have someone who can give the defenders something to worry about with his pace and shooting. That itself will give Suarez and others more space in the box. Let's see, I hope he succeeds, I liked him when he was scoring goals at Bolton and hoped we had signed him instead of Andy Carroll.

Last edited:

Getting Gameiro on loan would be good, but would he be guaranteed a game? I doubt it. Look at Sahin, he can barely get a game now.
Sterling also seems to start most games, so not sure where Gameiro would fit in apart from being backup.
Today Rodgers was saying that he does not want Downing to leave, and that if he continues to play like this, he will be in the lineup.

Maybe so, but he's a pretty tiny dude by EPL standards, especially in a forward position. Just based on Arsenal's recent French additions you could argue in favor or looking elsewhere for goal scoring success.

Also when thing's don't go his way, he's throws massive strops and in fairness, way liverpool are trying to play, i don't think he would be suit ideally what they're trying to do where sturridge does better as he can play on the wing aswell and gives you some more variation and could switch during games comfortably.

Sahin probably can't get in the team because he's done naff all.

Never did understand the hype about him or why we signed him.

One of the best matches since quite a long time from Liverpool.
Glad for Downing that he played so well, but Gerrard was it's old self: magnificent.
If Liverpool can go on like this, then a top 4 place might just be possible (but that should not be the aim, the aim should be to have 4 or 5 consecutive matches like this one).

I thinkg Garneiro would have been a better option and start using Suarez as a winger. But Rodgers plays Suarez central so I do understand why he would go for Sturridge. Lets hope it is the Sturridge that play with Villas Boas.

i think Sturridge is better option than Gameiro tbh, and also i think Suarez will have free role in next Rodgers attack...

basicly a top front with Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez, if we buy Sturridge, will cause problems amd will swap sides..

i would rather play Suarez from wide and Sturridge central than the oposite..

also wonder what will Rodgers do about Downing.. he seem to prefer him above Assaidi atm, but there was talk about selling him... don´t know..

One of the best matches since quite a long time from Liverpool.
Glad for Downing that he played so well, but Gerrard was it's old self: magnificent.
If Liverpool can go on like this, then a top 4 place might just be possible (but that should not be the aim, the aim should be to have 4 or 5 consecutive matches like this one).

Yeah it was good to see Gerrard getting into the box and score. But I doubt we will see this consistently going forward, since Gerrard is not the same player 3 years ago, and also I think it's because of the system he does not bomb forward as much. Unless Rodgers gives Gerrard carte blanche to go forward to support the front three, but for that you need 2 good holding midfielders like Lucas and someone like Lucas who can help cover the ground Gerrard gives up. Allen- I'm not sure what is his role. He is not attacking or defending midfielder, he does not have killer goal-creating passes, does not have the defensive nous of a Lucas or a Busquets. He's more like a midfield ball rotater.

Last edited:

Liverpool should have used Gerrard the way United have been using Giggs and Scholes for years now...but it seems Liverpool don't know the concept of rotation, some of their key players have played too much.

Liverpool should have used Gerrard the way United have been using Giggs and Scholes for years now...but it seems Liverpool don't know the concept of rotation, some of their key players have played too much.

I'm sure Brendan Rodgers "knows" about rotation. What seems more likely to me, is that Rodgers is over-playing certain players because of lacking quality cover for those positions.

On top of losing players to injuries, it does appear that Rodgers ends up artificially limiting his selection over the season after he loses faith in several players... For extended periods Sahin, Enrique, Downing have all been told they won't be playing until they practice to Rodgers standards. It seems to have worked for Enrique and Downing (maybe, we'll see how long their form lasts) while Sahin has yet to return to the pitch.

I'm sure Brendan Rodgers "knows" about rotation. What seems more likely to me, is that Rodgers is over-playing certain players because of lacking quality cover for those positions.

On top of losing players to injuries, it does appear that Rodgers ends up artificially limiting his selection over the season after he loses faith in several players... For extended periods Sahin, Enrique, Downing have all been told they won't be playing until they practice to Rodgers standards. It seems to have worked for Enrique and Downing (maybe, we'll see how long their form lasts) while Sahin has yet to return to the pitch.

That sounds like a correct assessment. Don't know when Rodgers will start dropping Allen who seems undroppable and his form has gone down a lot in the last few months.

That sounds like a correct assessment. Don't know when Rodgers will start dropping Allen who seems undroppable and his form has gone down a lot in the last few months.

I assume we'll see less of Allen over the next few weeks based on Rodgers' comments that he (and Sterling) need some rest. Both Allen and Sterling should get the message.

What seems more likely to me, is that Rodgers is over-playing certain players because of lacking quality cover for those positions.

I'm sorry but i don't buy this argument. If that is the case he made a serious mistake.
Why wouldn't he rotate?
Because he lacks quality for those positions ? Let's pretend that this is the reason. But quality is very relative. The fact that Rodgers thinks he lacks quality should result in him setting lower targets, and thus rotating...because then the (supposed) lack of quality should not be an issue.
The rest of my post is speculation, but i'm pretty sure that if he would rotate, he still would get better results. Players who are now fringe players should play more regularly and this would be good for their confidence. The really important players should get more rest and would play better when they play...i only see bonuses.

To be honest, i don't think Rodgers is to blame. It is 'the club' (whatever that is, the fans ?) who is to blame. Liverpool as a club still doesn't strike very realistic...

If you look at the players being overplayed:
- Suarez (we have no other striker)
- Allen (I think he should be rotated with Henderson/Sahin)
- Sterling (Assaidi/Suso maybe can exchange)
- Gerrard (same as Allen)
- Skrtel/Agger (Coates maybe, Carra is not that good anymore)
- Johnson (Wisdom does not have same attacking threat)

Do you remember the raffa years and e got ripped for rotation, however fergie rarely rotated.

If the guys train well and are fit then they should rarely need a rest maybe except back to back games.

Although some players who are not performing need to be rotated but that is down to the managers ethos.

He has finally done it with Allen, so give him props for that. They will always give the reason that it is to rest the player when mostly it is to give someone else a chance

talk in the papers today that david villa is being valued at 12m and chelsea are interested,surely liverpool should have enquired about him before they spent 12m on sturridge,i know who id want in my team

He's 31, been injured a lot and has wages of 100.000 a week. Class player, but a bigger risk imo. A 6 month loan would be great though.

Villa would be an amazing signing for us, even for a year or three...

he is ONLY 31, fit now...he is top class forward who could be our Miro Klose... Lazio fans know what i mean...

or even RVP, who is two years younger and who United didn´t wait a second to sign..

for this kind of players, age is not realy important.

Villa ? not really , I feel hes kind of "finished" player , I dont know how much he can play without get injured or if he can be same as few years ago

Back
Top Bottom