Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

As a United fan, I'm touched the first thing Shelvey thought of when he scored was to reference an incident from our match a few weeks ago. Cheers Jonjo.

Possession only gets you so far and Rodgers learning this the hard way.

Players just look uncomfortable in system defensively.

Shame bexause I like what Rodgers is attempting. But he is not Pep Guardiola. More like the David Brent of Merseyside.

Shelvey, Borini, Downing mid table players.

In the 1st half we dominated Udinese even on the 2nd half we played better. The defending should improve as Rodgers stated, and two of our best defenders were absent so it was a much weakened back four.

I tend to agree that Borini and Downing are mid-table players, not so sure about Shelvey. But overall the performance has been great, there are visible signs of improvement and we're getting a lot of possession in every game.
I'm aware that possession doesn't win games and we aren't trying to replicate Barcelona or anything. We play Liverpool's way and in Brendan we trust.

I agree with you on Shelvey, definitely not a mid-table player, he is not that good. Liverpool has much better players in that position.

Shelvey needs to calm down, he's only 20 something. And he is at times got some good shots, but at times he bungles around like an oaf. He needs to quieten down and improve his game, he has the potential.

Agree about Downing, he is midtable. Borini is mid-table at the moment, but is only 21.

Our defense was lacking last night, don't know what Johnson was doing with their first goal. 2nd goal was a giveaway by Coates. 3rd can't remember.

Hopefully we will win on Saturday to continue our improvement.

Shelvey will become a very good player. The boy has a lot of potential and guts to go with it.

He's obviously young and brash right now and has a LOT to learn, but he can become a key player for Liverpool and England in future years.

Not the best looking guy tho, is he?! :P :LMAO:

I think Shelvey needs to grow some hair, right now he looks like Nosferatu and could easily play any vampire role, no pun intended.

I don't care about his looks as long as he scores goals and plays as he should. And Shelvey is not the problem he's still young and we can't judge a player of his age.

I saw signs of improvements in Henderson and Downing, especially when Henderson was subbed, we struggled defensively as Allen wasn't at his best last night.

@besarti, Shelvey has alopecia..

In other news,
Daniel Agger has today signed a new long-term contract with Liverpool.

153670374ap002_daniel_agger.jpg

The Dane committed his future to the Reds by putting pen to paper on the deal at Melwood on Friday morning.

After signing the contract, Agger told Liverpoolfc.com: "It means everything to me. This is where I want to be and I'm happy the club want me. I am really happy right now. I've never wanted to go anywhere else.

"I feel I am a part of this club - and I want to be a part of this club in the future.

"I like the way it is going right now with the style we're playing, and hopefully the results will come soon as well.

"The support from the fans has been unbelievable. The game when they were singing all the songs about me, it was difficult to focus on the game! It was such a good experience for me and I'd never experienced anything like it before.

"That is why I am so happy here. That for me is Liverpool Football Club.

"I feel I belong here and as long as the manager and the owners want me, I'll be here."

Agger joined Liverpool from Brondby in January 2006.

The centre-back has since made 177 appearances for the Reds, scoring nine goals, and is firmly established as a Kop favourite.

Managing director Ian Ayre said: "Daniel's contribution since joining the club in 2006 has been absolutely fantastic and his loyalty to the team is recognised by the deal he has signed today.

"Daniel always made it clear he wanted to stay at Liverpool and we're delighted that he's committed his future to the club.

"We brought in some very exciting players this summer - some of whom chose Liverpool over clubs in the Champions League.

"But it's equally important to retain your most important players and the fact that Daniel has now followed Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel and Jonjo Shelvey in signing a new contract is testament to the fact that the players believe in what we're trying to achieve here under Brendan Rodgers."

Gerrard at 20/21 was reckless, hot headed, clumsy almost but ultimately developed in to a truly brilliant midfielder from 22 years of age until the last couple of seasons where he has dipped a little.

Shelvey has this scale of potential... It will require Brendan and other lfc staff around him to ensure he develops and doesn't slide into obscurity. It's also how much he is prepared to listen too. At that age, lots of players at large clubs in the first team believe they have already 'made it' and show arrogance.

Shelvey is the problem now? realy? ...

Looks like he's going to get the Lucas treatment from Liverpool fans.

"Hes not good enough. Why do they play him"

Few seasons later

"He's our main player"

Give the lad some time. As I United fan, I defiantly see something in him and Sterling.

Looks like he's going to get the Lucas treatment from Liverpool fans.

"Hes not good enough. Why do they play him"

Few seasons later

"He's our main player"

Give the lad some time. As I United fan, I defiantly see something in him and Sterling.

Of course I'm all for giving him time. He has lot of potential. But one thing that worries me is his attitude. Even Dalglish last season got onto it when Shelvey was demanding first team football in the media, Dalglish had to put him in his place.

He has the potential and can be a match-winner, but needs guidance.

Of course I'm all for giving him time. He has lot of potential. But one thing that worries me is his attitude. Even Dalglish last season got onto it when Shelvey was demanding first team football in the media, Dalglish had to put him in his place.

He has the potential and can be a match-winner, but needs guidance.

I have all the faith in Rodgers telling Shelvey how to behave or better said how not to behave if he want´s to play and also if he don´t wants to make his team weaker with his actions and sending offs...

I´m maybe even more confident in Rodgers than i was in Dalglsih to be honest...not becouse Dalglish was bad, but Rodgers is less a father figure and more a though coach..

btw, great gif of Agger signing the new contract:

tumblr_mbfi33x5GC1qhn6njo1_250.gif

Seeing suggestions that we're scouting Luis Muriel, Memphis Depay and Alexander Merkel.

i read about Martens from PSV being also a target...would make sence, he is typical for Rodgers system of play...and he would be a great addition with his age and ability..

@DagsJT, I don't know any of them, I actually know Merkel who used to play for Milan, are they any good?

Martens would fit perfectly in the system, if we manage to get him for the price Arsenal paid for Cazorla, it would be a bargain. The Belgian's got amazing skills and is almost as good as Hazard.

i read about Martens from PSV being also a target...would make sence, he is typical for Rodgers system of play...and he would be a great addition with his age and ability..
How do you do to have seen and perfectly know every target Liverpool is linked to for the past two years? And of course all of them are superb.

How do you do to have seen and perfectly know every target Liverpool is linked to for the past two years? And of course all of them are superb.

where did i say i perfectly know him? i assume he is good couse he is starter for Belgium + i saw some of his goals in past international matches..

i know he is linked becouse i read internet news and i think this rumour could be true as he is similar to what Rodgers realy could want...

stop picking on me please..

I'm sorry but that that 'dive' there by Suarez is abit too obvious. (not the one above) Reminded me of a grounded live fish.

As it happens he's completely right about Dries Mertens. Judged by his performances for the national team, he is by far our best player. IMO he is better than Hazard. He's fantastic with PSV too.

It's a mistery to me that he still plays with PSV.
And we have another great player in the Dutch competition who is often better than Hazard with the national team...Nacer Chadli.

Chadli is unbelievable. Three years ago he was playinng for AGOVV Apeldoorn, one of the worst teams in Dutch football. Two seasons ago was his first season in the Eredivisie and he was one of the best players right away. He remains superb. And Mertens is fantastic aswell, very fast and has an immense shot. Only two 'problems' are his delivery and he tends to be egotistical quite a lot.

Depay is a great talent, but he isn't ready for the Premier League. He hasn't even fully broken through at PSV yet. He also isn't the striker that Liverpool need.

When it comes to Eredivisie strikers, the one who would fit at Liverpool is Tim Matavz from PSV. He is currently benched, but that is because he had an argument with Dick Advocaat. Liverpool should try to get him in the winter.

That Stoke player should have booking thpugh Pipa us right.

Today we learn That Rodgers system will struggle against team that park the bus as you english like to say.

And what is joe cole doing near the first team?

Liverpool will struggle to finish top 6 this season And then you have same problem of only attracting poor player like Borini. Rinse repeat.

Back
Top Bottom