Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

What game did you watch?! Downing played his last game in Liverpool shirt tonight.

anyway, Suso will be superb. some beautiful football at times glad to see youth get a chance that is important in game today.

One negative: anyone hear liverpool supporters singing about having a party when Margaret Thatcher dies? Very tasteless and they complain when others sing vile songs.

Dont agree with those chants, but do you know the context Benni? Iirc a report recently got leaked that showed the Thatcher government actively "stripping" the city of Liverpool of investment and letting it go to shit. Not the same as hillsborough but another thing against the city.

Dont agree with those chants, but do you know the context Benni? Iirc a report recently got leaked that showed the Thatcher government actively "stripping" the city of Liverpool of investment and letting it go to shit. Not the same as hillsborough but another thing against the city.

That is no reason to behave yourself like that.
It seems that some Liverpool fans like to act like they are the victims of every evil in the UK.
One might not agree with Thatcher (i never did), but she has childeren and grand childeren. Those people should get a long stadium ban, just like the idiots who supposedly made the airplane gestures against Man Utd.

Oh, and the fact that Man Utd fans did "things" to, doesn't matter at all...

That is no reason to behave yourself like that.
It seems that some Liverpool fans like to act like they are the victims of every evil in the UK.
One might not agree with Thatcher (i never did), but she has childeren and grand childeren. Those people should get a long stadium ban, just like the idiots who supposedly made the airplane gestures against Man Utd.

Oh, and the fact that Man Utd fans did "things" to, doesn't matter at all...

agree with all of this good post Gerd

i agree with the post of gerd, all the time liverpool is the victim of everything and nothing is ever their fault.

Rodgers bemoans poor 'officiating'

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believes players like Luis Suarez are facing a no-win battle when it comes to winning fouls in the Barclays Premier League.

The Uruguay international has earned a reputation, during his relatively short time in English football, for going down too easily but Rodgers insisted that was not the case.

The Reds boss claims that if Suarez goes to ground he gets accused of diving but if he stays on his feet he is not getting the decisions.

Rodgers stressed he wanted his team to win matches fairly but the outcome had been such this season he had cause to speak to referees' chief Mike Riley.

"The likes of Suarez has had a couple of good penalty appeals, he hasn't dived they have been legitimate, and he's actually got booked," said Rodgers, referring specifically to the last two matches.

"He went down at Sunderland and it looked a clear penalty and he ended up getting booked for it.

"Last weekend in the Manchester United game there was more contact in his case than there was in Antonio Valencia's and Valencia gets a penalty and we get nothing other than a hard luck story.

"I'm not sure [Suarez's reputation is influencing officials] you'd need to ask the referees but he is a wonderful talent and irrespective of whether he goes down if it's a penalty, it's a penalty.

"What I have seen, he certainly doesn't ever look like he is going to get a decision and that is something which would bother me going forward.

"It would be a shame if players who respect the rules and managers who are asking players to stay on their feet and not dive are not getting the decisions because of it.

"I think it is important that referees understand that.

"It has been a criticism of the last few years of players going down too easy - it is not something we want to encourage but if you're not going to get decisions because of it players may do that."

Suarez's penalty appeals were just one of the items up for discussion with Riley, head of Professional Game Match Officials Ltd.

Rodgers has also been unhappy with some of his players being dismissed for tackles and opponents go unpunished.

Daniel Agger was sent off at West Brom on the opening day of the season and, last Sunday, Jonjo Shelvey saw red despite Jonny Evans also appearing to have both feet off the ground in the same challenge.

However, the Northern Irishman bided his time until another incident in Wednesday night's Capital One Cup victory, back at The Hawthorns, convinced him intervention was required.

"It has just become quite obvious, especially after Wednesday night's game, so I rang Mike Riley this morning [Thursday] - I think he was expecting me to call him a bit earlier," he added.

"Jordan Henderson had a horrendous challenge on him and the player was not even booked yet Andre Wisdom made a really good tackle and won the ball and got booked for it - and there have been a number of incidences.

"Having had four and a half terrific years at Chelsea I certainly saw enough games at that level to see that sometimes the big clubs do get decisions.

"I came here to one of the biggest clubs in the world and in my opening period we haven't got a thing so I just wanted to ask the question and put my point across.

"I waited to see a trend. It is just something I feel is important going forward so we are not targeted."

Rodgers insists he is doing everything he can to ensure his side are genuine and honest in games but he was concerned that was going against them.

"I always send my teams out to be sporting and try to respect everything about the game and ask players not to dive and stay on their feet," he said.

"It is how I ask the players to play: we want to win the game but we want to win it by fair means.

"But by doing that we need to make sure the players don't get punished because that is certainly what is happening from my own eyes.

"To me, in this opening period of the season, it hasn't worked for us.

"I just said to Mike we have to be careful we don't discourage players and people who don't respect the game.

"I am not one to criticise them (referees) publicly and look to play any sort of mind games to gain an advantage but when it is going against the club I have to speak my mind and that is what I have done."

http://www.espnstar.com/football/news/detail/item863502/

WWwwwwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wha wha wha wha whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That's pretty much what I read. Pandering to the faithful though.

And here's the best bit: ""I am not one to criticise them (referees) publicly and look to play any sort of mind games to gain an advantage but when it is going against the club I have to speak my mind and that is what I have done."

And here's a massive public diatribe criticising referees, designed as a mind game to help get his team decisions.

Well the thing about Suarez is that he's a recognized diver in EPL, most of referees are aware of that.

After I saw what Klose did last night when he told the referee to disallow the goal he scored with his hand, I realized that Suarez would never do that.
He'll have to change his reputation somehow because I'm sure if it was Suarez instead of Valencia he'd never get the penalty and he'd probably get booked for diving.

PS. What's with Suso's contract, does he have a release clause or something? I'd be very sad if we lost him to one of the Spanish giants or elsewhere, cause in him I can see the next David Silva.

WWwwwwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wha wha wha wha whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That's pretty much what I read. Pandering to the faithful though.

And here's the best bit: ""I am not one to criticise them (referees) publicly and look to play any sort of mind games to gain an advantage but when it is going against the club I have to speak my mind and that is what I have done."

And here's a massive public diatribe criticising referees, designed as a mind game to help get his team decisions.

While I don't fully agree with Rodgers' statement.

Does'nt Ferguson do the same? Just a day before the Anfield match, he was saying that United don't get penalties at Anfield.

And don't forget it was Ferguson who said in the media that Suarez dives.

Was'nt that mind games?

All these managers want is the best for their team and own job. So they will do anything to get mileage. Some legal, some illegal.

Last edited:

We all know that Ferguson is manipulating the refs, that's one of the reasons i stopped supporting Man Utd.
But frankly, i'm disappointed in Rodgers after this statement about Suarez. I understand that managers have to defend their players, but you don't have to defend the undefendable.

About the ref against Man Utd. I can't say anything about the Suarez penalty, i haven't seen it. But it could well be that Suarez is victim of his onw previous diving. It seems only fair that when in doubt a referee will never give him the benefit of the doubt. If you have to take a decision in a split second probablities come into the equation...does it seems probable that Suarez dived ? Of course (remember the match against Everton and the Rodwell red card).

I have seen the red card and the Man Utd penalty: IMO the ref was spot on in both cases although Evan should have had a yellow. It's a shame because Liverpool were the better team, but once again they shot themselves in the foot...

But don't worry, the season only starts for Liverpool. Things can only go uphill from now on.

Last edited:

Ah so Rodgers is already making excuses straight from the Rafa Benitez school of moaning.

Its not refs fault Suarez couldn't finish his dinner.

Ah so Rodgers is already making excuses straight from the Rafa Benitez school of moaning.

Its not refs fault Suarez couldn't finish his dinner.

this is not a moaning, it´s a statement that many Liverpool fans support, becouse it would be wrong not to say anything after some of the matches of this season and refs decisions..

after all the referee institution is there exactly to solve such things and problems with referees that are part of their organisation..

i see no problem in Rodgers making a statement especialy if it´s his right to do so..

how different would you solve things like that in his position?

In his position (and in the position of any manager) i would never ever criticise a referee. If people would ask me my comment on so-called referee errors i would say that they have the most difficult job on the pitch. That they have to take more important decisions in a split second than some people in their entire life.
I would also say that criticising referees for defeats is not in the intrest of a club, because it creates adversity and because it diverts attention from the real problems, in this case that Liverpool can't score goals.
The fact that they hit the woodwork zillion times is not bad luck, it rather is very bad finishing.

Criticising referees is not very intelligent and it's strange that an intelligent person as Rodgers does this. I assume that in the dressing room he has said other things...

Wenger always moans about Arsenal doesn`t get penalties...refs don`t pay attention(Arsenal don`t get penalties) only FA fines and bans :LOL:

Its fair to say his moans had hurt him more than help :COAT:

this is not a moaning, it´s a statement that many Liverpool fans support, becouse it would be wrong not to say anything after some of the matches of this season and refs decisions..

after all the referee institution is there exactly to solve such things and problems with referees that are part of their organisation..

i see no problem in Rodgers making a statement especialy if it´s his right to do so..

how different would you solve things like that in his position?

I just find the whole framing of that message hilarious. It's almost tongue in cheek.

We here at Liverpool Football Club don't come out and publically criticise referees to distract from our performances. That would be below us. But, I just have to criticise the referees right now, because we've not had all the decisions go our way, and let's be honest here we all wish they all went our way. So please referees, if you could just start favouring us, then I won't have to come out and criticise you.

Oh, and this isn't me criticising referees.

gerd if you seriously thought the referee made injustice towards your team after each week preparation, you would definetly act.

the referees are humans i agree, but there is a referee asotiation to judge and promote the referees and there are numerous conferentions and also the refs have all different style depending on the league.. if there is a bad decision, they are in fact reported by the teams or their performance is judged each match, otherwise if nobody would watch their job, they would do what they want..

so in fact to criticise them is not that unique in football, especially if you have points that prove your words...wich i think Rodgers has..

for example, this wasn´t even a card:
8030368940_d7dc3e90ed_o.gif

even Lukaku thought it´s a red..

Last edited:

Gasp, a poor call! Get on the phone to Mike Riley!

Can you imagine what LFC fans would do if they found out SAF called up the head of the referees with a laundry list of calls going against his team? The league is rigged! SAF runs the FA!

Any team can make a list of calls that go against them. The difference is that had Suarez put 2 or 3 more shots in the back of the net, Rodgers wouldn't have made the list. Despite the decisions still having gone against him.

As to the United game - ref called 2/3 calls spot on from his point of view, and the Suarez one was very, very hard to see from behind play. So I can see why he didn't give it. So we should call out the ref not because he got decisions WRONG but because he didn't give them to our team?

It's fine for fans to think like this. But I don't believe a manager should.

Didnt take long for this thread to become a bitchfest again did it....maybe we should have weekly reports on the dead and government corruption. Seems to be the only thing that keeps it from becoming anything else but one long whinge at each other.

In his position (and in the position of any manager) i would never ever criticise a referee. If people would ask me my comment on so-called referee errors i would say that they have the most difficult job on the pitch. That they have to take more important decisions in a split second than some people in their entire life.
I would also say that criticising referees for defeats is not in the intrest of a club, because it creates adversity and because it diverts attention from the real problems, in this case that Liverpool can't score goals.
The fact that they hit the woodwork zillion times is not bad luck, it rather is very bad finishing.

Criticising referees is not very intelligent and it's strange that an intelligent person as Rodgers does this. I assume that in the dressing room he has said other things...

To be fair, Rodgers has at many times said that Liverpool need to score goals and that they need to be ruthless in the box, and they need to take more shots, as evidenced in the WBA game (there were many shots taken, one resulted in a goal)

I was a bit surprised by his comments, but again gerd, these managers have a lot of pressure from fans, owners to get results.
Just as referees are human and make mistakes, so do managers.
For Rodgers he has seen 3 matches in this short season already where Liverpool have had big calls go against the team.
It's not easy managing a club like Liverpool with all the expectations.
Once the pressure gets to you, then even the most intelligent of managers can start becoming defensive.

I hope Rodgers can cut down on these, but seeing Ferguson who keeps playing mind games is a bad example to these younger managers.

Well, at least Suarez is defending the referees
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...apt-to-the-defence-of-Premier-League-referees

Last edited:

Gasp, a poor call! Get on the phone to Mike Riley!

Can you imagine what LFC fans would do if they found out SAF called up the head of the referees with a laundry list of calls going against his team? The league is rigged! SAF runs the FA!

Any team can make a list of calls that go against them. The difference is that had Suarez put 2 or 3 more shots in the back of the net, Rodgers wouldn't have made the list. Despite the decisions still having gone against him.

As to the United game - ref called 2/3 calls spot on from his point of view, and the Suarez one was very, very hard to see from behind play. So I can see why he didn't give it. So we should call out the ref not because he got decisions WRONG but because he didn't give them to our team?

It's fine for fans to think like this. But I don't believe a manager should.

mate i realy don´t care about what United would do, let SAF report what he want´s to be honest..

this is Liverpool´s coach statement and i agree with it..there should be same rules for everyone and if HE feels the rules were different for both the teams, either against United or WBA, he shouldn´t stay quiet..

it´s not like a fight against United or whatever, we are in this alone and it´s a normal thing to do for any coach if he feels it´s right i think.. not needed to drag United to this discussion, it´s not about what the players do on field, it´s about what the REFS do or don´t do..

i am all for giving suarez a straight Red for diving and the same for any other player who dives, but it´s up to referee to deciede what a dive is, none other.. I´m also against referees who are one sided and don´t tell me there are no such referees in the game...

the problem are refs in this discussion, not the players...Players will never chainge their attitude (diving) if the refs don´t start to give straight reds for that...BUT to ALL without a difference, not just some..

The day Liverpool and it's fans can live a week without mentioning Manchester United is the day that they will have results again.
Maybe you guys should learn a thing or two from Everton, who seem to have forgotten their Liverpool fixation (remember the match against Newcastle Utd).

The day Liverpool and it's fans can live a week without mentioning Manchester United is the day that they will have results again.
Maybe you guys should learn a thing or two from Everton, who seem to have forgotten their Liverpool fixation (remember the match against Newcastle Utd).

agree but not all fans are like that, in fact and you don´t need to believe i don´t care about United at all, i know LFC has a rivalry with this team, but seriously i don´t consider them interesting for me as a fan, i don´t have any affection towards more than to Shanghai Shenghua or whatever.. i support LFC not hate United..i dont agree with how they do things sometimes or the manner of their coach, but at the same time i respect his amazing work and how he turned that team and basicly build it alone from nothing.. i hope someday Liverpool will again have a coach like that...they miss one since Paisley days..

it´s just a coincidence there was bitching after the United match, but you guys mix up fans reactions..i am worried about the referees inconsitence not about what team we played against.. even if we played different team as we did with WBA..

and seriously we are not in a position to call United our big rival position wise so i don´t think any sane LFC supporter will be worried about United atm... we have to be worried about other things..

I don't think anyone was bothered about united till the last match to be fair. Of course if Everton were playing us, then surely the talk among fans would be each other.
And I'm sure Everton are progressing because they have kept faith in their manager and have been shrewd in the transfer market.

You don't see fans or players talk about United every week.

And let me remind you about Mr.Ferguson (in my Rafa accent), he was quoted as saying he wanted to knock Liverpool of their *** perch when he took over at United.
When United played Liverpool in the 80s, they rose their game, and Ferguson was always trying to blame referees. And I'm sure united fans were constantly under Liverpool's shadow. And that is a FACT :-)
Just like we are under United now...

Last edited:

I like this. By next summer, we should be free of most of the under-performers and have better replacements in.

Rodgers said 'Status does not matter. It is what you are like as a player. It doesn’t matter how much money you have come for. That doesn’t matter to me. I will play a 17-year-old if he fights and he has quality. It is quite easy.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...nrique-face-Liverpool-exit.html#ixzz27p0sWYqM

Last edited:

the biger problem is their massive wages...we still have Joe Cole who basicly doesn´t play, and makes more money than three or four youngsters who won our WBA match.

Back
Top Bottom