Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

I know I'm biased, but I just don't understand Liverpool's PR policy. So since Sunday, I've now heard from Shelvey, Rodgers, Gerrard and Johnson that:

1. Shelvey shouldn't have got a red. But if he did get a red, so should Evans (not true, and every single podcast/journalist pundit I've seen agrees)

2. Luis Suarez should have had a penalty (general opinions split, I've seen em given)

3. Valencia should not have had a penalty (personally I don't think it was, but pundits seem split)

4. Now, Valencia was not touched (this is simply not true. there are pictuers of Johnson colliding with the back of Valencia, even though he was going down)

5. Reputations determine penalties

I mean, is this what LFC do now? They get in on a Monday morning and say, alright Stevie, Glen - you two are on press duty this week, go do some interviews where you degrade the ref's decisions. Oh Jonjo - get on Twitter asap and accuse Fergie of something. Luis....actually, Luis just keep your mouth shut.

It beggars belief.

I like Liverpool and want to see them back in the fray (especially compared to sugar daddy clubs) but this victimhood (it's the refs fault, it's the posts fault, it's Fergies fault - could it possibly be your inability to score goals?) is something that needs to be removed from your psychology. Winners don't look for excuses.

I think I was a bit surprised to see some of these interviews, especially the one by Johnson on the official website. I think Liverpool's PR deptt. is not very good tbh.

To be fair though, regarding the interviews, in this day and age the media prints every little detail and are also asking the players these questions. We have all these media analyzing using slo-mo replays, and analyzing every player's minutest movmements. So it's no surprise to see interviews about these things as well.

In Shelvey's case, in fact LFC asked him to remove his comments about Ferguson. And to be fair I don't blame Shelvey for criticizing Ferguson who was jumping all over the technical area when he made the challenges. Your club has enough characters (Ferguson, Ferdinand, Rooney) who try to influence referees to give red cards or penalties. The day before the match Ferguson was saying that United never get penalties at Anfield !! And anytime there's a challenge from an opponent United players are in the ref's face asking for red-cards (See Kompany last year, and now Shelvey...I'm sure there are more examples of this)

Last edited:

That is actually very funny Pipa, good find.

There can't be any doubt that Shelvey should have got a red card and that it was a penalty (what was Johnson thinking by the way?). Here in Europe everybody has the same opinion as i.

To be fair Evans should have got a yellow card. And to be fair once again: Liverpool deserved to win. They were the better team throughout the game even when they were with 10 man.

People will once again say i hate Man Utd, but their football is dire, boring and bloodless for most of the time and this for years now. They make me think of the German national squad who used to win everything with the most boring football...Ulli Stielike is the archetypical Manchester United player and not George Best... I guess it's a merit to win like that, but it's so utterly unstylish, borish it's everything football should not be.

JEROME SINCLAIR could become the youngest player in Liverpool’s history tonight after being promoted to the first team squad for the Capital One Cup tie at West Brom.

The highly-rated striker, who only celebrated his 16th birthday last Thursday, will travel with the Reds to the Hawthorns.

Boss Brendan Rodgers is considering naming Sinclair among his substitutes and if he comes on he will beat the record currently held by Jack Robinson, who made his debut at the age of 16 and 250 days against Hull City in May 2010.

Ironically, Sinclair started his career at the West Brom Academy before Liverpool swooped to secure his services in the summer of 2011. He has impressed for the under-18s so far this season and shone in last week’s NextGen Series clash with Inter Milan.

Teenage defender Stephen Sama has also been elevated to the squad for tonight’s trip to the Midlands as Rodgers prepares to field a youthful line-up.

Jose Enrique has been ruled out with a niggling knee injury, joining Lucas Leiva, Daniel Agger, Martin Kelly, Fabio Borini and Jon Flanagan on the casualty list.

Jonjo Shelvey starts a three-match ban following his red card against Manchester United and Joe Cole isn’t yet ready for action having only started training again last week after a hamstring strain.

With only a dozen senior players fit and available, Rodgers will not risk his star names tonight.

Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel, Glen Johnson, Pepe Reina and Joe Allen will all be rested ahead of Saturday’s league clash at Norwich City.

Youngsters Suso and Andre Wisdom, who made their first team bows away to Young Boys in the Europa League last week, are set to feature again tonight.
There will also be a debut for 18-year-old German striker Samed Yesil, who was an unused substitute in Switzerland.

In the absence of Gerrard, Jamie Carragher will captain the side with Brad Jones deputising for Reina in goal. Nuri Sahin, Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and Oussama Assaidi should also start.

Agger and Borini will continue to undergo treatment at Melwood but both are making good progress following the injuries they sustained against United. Danish centre-back Agger, who bruised the bone in his left knee, could be back for Saturday’s game at Norwich.

Borini is suffering from a swollen ankle but there is no fracture and he may also return to training before the end of the week.

Andy Heaton ‏@Andrew_Heaton
Starts for Wisdom, Wilson, Robinson, Assaidi, Henderson, Pacheco, Sahin, and Yesil tomorrow apparently.

Andy Heaton ‏@Andrew_Heaton
No Suso or Sterling, so, as others have pointed out, looks like they've made a decent enough impression.

Last edited by a moderator:

I know I'm biased, but I just don't understand Liverpool's PR policy. So since Sunday, I've now heard from Shelvey, Rodgers, Gerrard and Johnson that:

1. Shelvey shouldn't have got a red. But if he did get a red, so should Evans (not true, and every single podcast/journalist pundit I've seen agrees)

2. Luis Suarez should have had a penalty (general opinions split, I've seen em given)

3. Valencia should not have had a penalty (personally I don't think it was, but pundits seem split)

4. Now, Valencia was not touched (this is simply not true. there are pictuers of Johnson colliding with the back of Valencia, even though he was going down)

5. Reputations determine penalties

I mean, is this what LFC do now? They get in on a Monday morning and say, alright Stevie, Glen - you two are on press duty this week, go do some interviews where you degrade the ref's decisions. Oh Jonjo - get on Twitter asap and accuse Fergie of something. Luis....actually, Luis just keep your mouth shut.

It beggars belief.

I like Liverpool and want to see them back in the fray (especially compared to sugar daddy clubs) but this victimhood (it's the refs fault, it's the posts fault, it's Fergies fault - could it possibly be your inability to score goals?) is something that needs to be removed from your psychology. Winners don't look for excuses.

Its all BS from all sides. Ive can remember quiet a few pre match comments from managers regarding poor decisions in previous matches and then coincdentally the ref is more focused on punishing that certain foul. Ferguson does, as did Benitez, I think often in the cl chelsea matches. Same as players/managers pre match divng comments, now the opposition has to do post match pr comments. Its all pr bs and everyone does as much as the other. The other day Pulis was gloating about getting a decision over one of the top teams as they always get the decisoins their way, when there is a. Table putting Stoke as THE team to get the most decisions, with the big teams actually in mid to lower mid table. And last week he was moaning about getting a poor decision ( not sure if it was as I refuse to watch stoke).

Anything to get an advantage, the FA should ban all comments regarding decisions and matches imo. I dont see how it beggars belief Ryan when Utd are just as active in doing it as anybody else.

Last edited:

I guess it's the Johnson thing for me. I've seen the incident. He absolutely 100% clearly does catch Valencia's ankle, from behind. I don't think it's a penalty though, as he was already going down.

So then Johnson comes out criticising unfair play by deliberately, incitefully lying. That's all it is. He's seen the replay 50 times and can't see the contact? Please.

It's more pandering to the radical LFC fans that believe everything is a conspiracy.

It's like watching Fox News report on Romney. Same mandate. Pander to the nut jobs.

lol johnson is a twat, in the first half he dived at least twice and for diving you should get yellow card so really he shouldn't of even been on the field to make the foul on valencia, but suarez should of had a penalty though.

I guess it's the Johnson thing for me. I've seen the incident. He absolutely 100% clearly does catch Valencia's ankle, from behind. I don't think it's a penalty though, as he was already going down.

So then Johnson comes out criticising unfair play by deliberately, incitefully lying. That's all it is. He's seen the replay 50 times and can't see the contact? Please.
He totally doesn't. You COULD argue a hand in the back of Valencia but catch him on the ankle? Definitely not.

1348409256348.gif

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAOAOAOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

WHAT AN ASSIST BY SUSO!!!!!!!!

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!

He totally doesn't. You COULD argue a hand in the back of Valencia but catch him on the ankle? Definitely not.

You can't see it from that image. Any of the ones from the front you can. He clearly makes contact. I'll try to dig one out.

Watched some of Pool tonight. Turns out that Bundesliga team of the year, Real Madrid player is quite good. Who'd of guessed?

Hugely impressed with Assaidi tonight, looks a threat everytime he gets the ball and he'll cause defenders all kinds of problems.

Also Yesil, Sahin and Coates all doing well. Suso making in instant impact, the kids are showing how it's done :)

Also:

Simon Steers ‏@sisteers
If you think in 5 years Coates will be 26, Allen 27, Suso 23, & Sterling only 22. We have a lot beyond those 4 as well. #LFC.

2nd goal, team work was amazing. deffo rogers style of play

really impressed with the team tonight, and a 16 year old is on.

assaidi looks class

we play fucking amazing considering the average age of our players, im impressed!!!

also kuddos to Coates and Brad Jones... and those youngsters..

what´s the situation about Suso contract, he is a diamond in making imo.

but it´s not end of the game yet...

Pacheco >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Borini

(Observation on the last 2 games).

Assaidi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Downing

(Honestly exagerating because I'm Moroccan but still Downing didn't convince me much especially regarding his price).

Henderson : quite inexistant as Pacheco does his job.

Brad Jones : As bad as Reina and Foster on 1st goal
He showed a bit more confidence after that.

Defence is not bad but can be ways better (I really like Coates though and Wisdom is a combative player).

Sahin is epic and exactly what Liverpool needed (sorry Gerrard but your time has maybe come).

Yesil : Too much selfish.

Referre : Have to buy some good glasses.
3 hand balls from WBA and a really bad fault on Henderson.
Given : Nothing.

Mulumbu + Lukaku = BEASTS.

Last edited:

you can´t be serious thinking LFC will write the season off...

it´s just September, well soon October but not a time to write things off..

downing had a great game mate.

Whoa there I wouldn't go that far it was the usual from him.

Compared to the performances from Sterling and now Aissiadi
it's embarrassing we paid $20million for Downing.

Great performance tonight you can see how it is taking shape
under Rodgers it's brilliant the way the kids come on and play
like they're first teamers.

It is farcical that Mulumbu stayed on the pitch after the tackle
on Henderson.

downing had a great game mate.

What game did you watch?! Downing played his last game in Liverpool shirt tonight.

anyway, Suso will be superb. some beautiful football at times glad to see youth get a chance that is important in game today.

One negative: anyone hear liverpool supporters singing about having a party when Margaret Thatcher dies? Very tasteless and they complain when others sing vile songs.

Last edited:

What game did you watch?! Downing played his last game in Liverpool shirt tonight.

anyway, Suso will be superb. some beautiful football at times glad to see youth get a chance that is important in game today.

One negative: anyone hear liverpool supporters singing about having a party when Margaret Thatcher dies? Very tasteless and they complain when others sing vile songs.

you can´t talk about some group of idiots as if all the LFC fans were like that..i don´t know why you even mention it...people like that - if they sing such things or any songs about death or making jokes about it - are idiots and you can´t talk about such guys as those who represent whole fans base...

about Downing, i think it wasn´t his last game..

where did I say "all liverpool supporters are like that??"

I am just pointing out: all the idiots at RAWK talking about man utd fans singing post match on sunday but its ok to sing crap like that. 'offended by everything, ashamed of nothing' sums up that forum. Horrible place. I even saw people on there saying they will celebrate when Alex Ferguson dies the other day. Disgusting and they do make up a large portion of Liverpool support.

Luckily you supporters at Evo Web are rational and likeable..and classy so I respect you.

Downing is terrible player PIPA. Surely even you can see this??

Brad Jones ‏@Brad_Jones1
Great win again tonight! Disappointed to have conceded the goal but that is the life of a gk. Nice whack in the face to go with it too

Brad Jones ‏@Brad_Jones1
Think I have broken my nose to top it off smashing into Lukaku. I'm happy to take it if we perform and get results like that tho.

Back
Top Bottom