Ligue 1

Re: Ligue 1 - 08/09

I was gonna say this a few weeks back but forgot and now with 7 games still remaining and anything still possible, I suppose it's still not too late. But I personally give a lot of chance to Laurent Blanc and his Girondin side a fair bit of chance to scoop the league this year.

But one thing's for sure, what an exciting championship and as a neutral, that's all that matters and regardless of who wins, it'll be so fun and enthralling to watch the season's final round of matches. :D

Day 32 results :
Grenoble 1-0 Toulouse
Monaco 3-1 Rennes
Nantes 2-0 Nice
Sochaux 0-1 Auxerre
Valenciennes 0-2 Le Mans
Caen 1-2 Nancy
Saint-Etienne 2-1 Lille
Lorient 1-2 Marseille
Paris-SG 3-0 Le Havre
Bordeaux 1-0 Lyon

Classement :
1 Marseille 64
2 Bordeaux 62
3 Lyon 60
4 Paris-SG 59
5 Toulouse 56
6 Lille 56
7 Rennes 51
8 Nice 44
9 Monaco 40
10 Auxerre 40
11 Lorient 38
12 Le Mans 38
13 Grenoble 38
14 Valenciennes 36
15 Nancy 36
16 Nantes 33
17 Sochaux 32
18 Saint-Etienne 32
19 Caen 31
20 Le Havre 21

Top scorer :
1 André-Pierre Gignac (Toulouse) 19
2 Guillaume Hoarau (Paris-SG) 17
3 Karim Benzema (Lyon) 14
4 Fernando Cavenaghi (Bordeaux) 13
- Fernandes Michel Bastos (Lille) 13
6 Steve Savidan (Caen) 11
- Loïc Rémy (Nice) 11
8 Marouane Chamakh (Bordeaux) 10
- Amadou Alassane (Le Havre) 10
- Youssouf Hadji (Nancy) 10

Top assist :
1 Michel Bastos Fernandes (Lille) 11
2 Wendel Geraldo (Bordeaux) 9
- Hellebuyck David (Nice) 9
4 Gourcuff Yoann (Bordeaux) 8
- Gameiro Kevin (Lorient) 8
6 Kahlenberg Thomas (Auxerre) 6
- Chamakh Marouane (Bordeaux) 6
- Ben Saada Chaouki (Nice) 6
- Rothen Jérôme (Paris-SG) 6
- Sessegnon Stéphane (Paris-SG) 6
- Pagis Mickaël (Rennes) 6
- Erding Mevlut (Sochaux) 6

6 games left and it looks like the stranglehold lyon had on ligue 1 is finally coming to an end. they might not even get into the champions league if they continue their poor form..is it the top 3 or top 4 that qualify?

wow that'd be a downright shocker wouldn't it!!?! If they don't even qualify for CL!! I wonder how much money you could've made if you bet that prior to season's start!

I didn't even think of that possibility till you brought it up to be honest but you're right, it is a definite possibility especially if this form continues.

Lol Mr. Aulas is gonna be so pissed off haha I can just imagine him pulling his hair out! Lyon missing out on Champions League football is gonna be unthinkable and will definitely fuck up some of their plans, no longer getting the big paycheque from CL.

My guess is they'll at least finish in the top 3 though and still have a good chance of even winning the title as well.

Also another big disappointing season for their regional rivals, St. Etienne! Let's see if Les Verts can at least maintain their Ligue 1 status!

Lyon missing out on Champions League football is gonna be unthinkable and will definitely fuck up some of their plans, no longer getting the big paycheque from CL.

Maybe they can win the Europa Cup :).

Well, only the title though matherto which of course is a big part of any league, I agree. Everything else about it has been unpredictable and you have teams like PSG, Toulouse and Bordeaux fighting relegation one year and for the title the next or a couple years later. Surprise relegations like St. Etienne possibly this year or RC Lens last year... it's a very unpredictable league actually apart from the fight for the ultimate prize (winning the championship) :P

Maybe they can win the Europa Cup :).

Lol yeah... since it doesn't seem like they can go further than Q-finals in CL, perhaps it's time Mr. Aulas tries his luck in UEFA Cup. :D

Day 33 results :
Lyon 0-0 Paris-SG
Toulouse 1-1 Lorient
Nice 3-1 Saint-Etienne
Le Mans 0-1 Monaco
Auxerre 2-1 Caen
Le Havre 0-1 Grenoble
Sochaux 1-1 Valenciennes
Nancy 2-0 Nantes
Lille 1-2 Marseille
Rennes - Bordeaux (Wednesday)

Classement :
1 Marseille 67
2 Bordeaux 62 (-1)
3 Lyon 61
4 Paris-SG 60
5 Toulouse 57
6 Lille 56
7 Rennes 51 (-1)
8 Nice 47
9 Monaco 43
10 Auxerre 43
11 Grenoble 41
12 Lorient 39
13 Nancy 39
14 Le Mans 38
15 Valenciennes 37
16 Sochaux 33
17 Nantes 33
18 Saint-Etienne 32
19 Caen 31
20 Le Havre 21

Top scorer :
1 André-Pierre Gignac (Toulouse) 19
2 Guillaume Hoarau (Paris-SG) 17
3 Karim Benzema (Lyon) 14
4 Fernando Cavenaghi (Bordeaux) 13
- Fernandes Michel Bastos (Lille) 13
6 Steve Savidan (Caen) 11
- Loïc Rémy (Nice) 11
8 Ireneusz Jelen (Auxerre) 10
- Marouane Chamakh (Bordeaux) 10
- Amadou Alassane (Le Havre) 10
- Youssouf Hadji (Nancy) 10

Top assist :
1 Michel Bastos Fernandes (Lille) 11
2 Wendel Geraldo (Bordeaux) 9
- Hellebuyck David (Nice) 9
4 Gourcuff Yoann (Bordeaux) 8
- Gameiro Kevin (Lorient) 8
6 Kahlenberg Thomas (Auxerre) 6
- Chamakh Marouane (Bordeaux) 6
- Ben Saada Chaouki (Nice) 6
- Rothen Jérôme (Paris-SG) 6
- Sessegnon Stéphane (Paris-SG) 6
- Pagis Mickaël (Rennes) 6
- Erding Mevlut (Sochaux) 6
- Didot Etienne (Toulouse) 6

Wow after that come back and victory, OM really did make a big step towards their first title in ages!! Wasn't an easy game by any means but Niang and everyone else gave their all and it was just enough.

I thought that Niang and Ziani miss (2 good chances) after they were up 2-1 could come back to hunt them and it almost did but ultimately Gerets' men had done enough. And that's with a team carrying quite a bit of injuries.

Congratz Eric once again! :WORSHIP: Yes the players worked hard, everyone has behind the scenes as well but for me the Belgian is the biggest reason of it all, not just in this match again (him staying cool, tactical changes, subs) but all season and in fact before that, ever since he took over and transformed OM!

Good entertaining heated affair. Had a bit of everything from skills, to teamwork (Hazard's goal was two 1-2's and great off-ball movement), rivalries (Rami vs. Brandao), fights, and lots of yellow-cards! :p

Balmont and Duhammel (the ref) could be also twins. lol

----

pressure on Bordeaux now. If they can beat Rennes away from home which won't be no easy task, they'll keep up with OM and only 2 points behind with still a very good chance of clinching it right at the end. But this next game against Rennes is their do or die I think!

Enjoyed the game tonight, Marseille started the better, but the penalty decision gave Lille the momentum, strange decision although it was a penalty no idea who called it, poor pen from Bastos who was quiet.

Great goal from Eden, 1-2's from Cabaye, Vittek and Hazard who had the cool finish.

But well done to Marseille for coming back, poor marking from Beria for the first goal he got caught under Brandao, great finish from Cheyrou.

And Niang's was a great finish, Malicki made a great save in the first half but was a great finish for the goal.

After that Lille had no clear cut chances and Marseille missed chances showed who the better team was.

Still hoping Lille can make it in the Champions League but I think a Europa League spot would be a success for Rudi Garcia this season, since we've had 11 goal from our strikers this season, get Tulio fit for next season, and it could be a better season.

very good performance by Marseille. Although it was a penalty I wanna know how the linesman came to the decision as didnt he flag for a corner. If somebody told him upstairs than thats not allowed.

Niang played very well tonight, I think he should of got a penalty in 1st half when he was pulled back on the header. I thought the ref was pretty poor and never gave Marseille the decisions they deserved to be honest. Even on Lille's goal it looked like Niang was fouled before Lille got hold of the ball.

I like watching Lille much more now rather then under Claude Puel. He was bit too defensive when in charge. Where is he gonna end up as he will be sacked from Lyon in the summer.

Ben Arfa's dribbling when he came on tonight was brilliant..

five points clear now. Championship is so close. :)

i was in the stadium yesterday night...and i have to say that in some moment i forgot that we was in Lille! The Stadium was foul of Marseille's fan!
Marseille showed yesterday that they want to get this title and they are doing all to get it, and they are doing it very well! a lot of pressure of the forwards (Brandao was incredible!) and Valbuena and Niang are so fast!

Hope that Bordeaux will win against Rennes to keep some more excitation 'til the end! But Marseille made a big step closer to the title.

damn, the more i keep reading, the more i get the feeling i'm missing the best season in years!
sky italia definitely made a huge mistake dropping ligue 1 coverage.

anyhow, since i don't get any ligue 1 action anymore, your sunday posts became extremely important to me, thomas, so thanks for that. ;)

btw, there was a guy in this thread, years ago, who used to post a link to the highlights of the matches aswell.
is there any chance to get those highlights links on the ligue 1 thread back again? :))

Lyon 0-0 Paris SG YouTube - BoS lyo par

Toulouse 1-1 Lorient YouTube - BoS tou lor
0-1 : Ayew (86')
1-1 : Cetto (89')

Nice 3-1 Saint Etienne YouTube - BoS nic se
1-0 : Ben Saada (23')
2-0 : Tavlaridias (OG)(44')
3-0 : Mouloungui (73')
3-1 : Ilan (90+4')

Le Mans 0-1 Monaco Highlights : Le Mans - Monaco - Sapo Vídeos
0-1 : Park (87')

Auxerre 2-1 Caen Highlights : Auxerre - Caen - Sapo Vídeos
0-1 : Proment (61')
1-1 : Jelen (86')
2-1 : Jelen (89')

Le Havre 0-1 Grenoble Highlights : Le Havre vs Grenoble - Sapo Vídeos
0-1 : Boya (41')

Sochaux 1-1 Valenciennes Highlights : Sochaux - Valenciennes - Sapo Vídeos
0-1 : Bangoura (61')
1-1 : Sverkos (PEN)(90+5')

Nancy 2-0 Nantes Highlights : Nancy - Nantes - Sapo Vídeos
1-0 : Féret (56')
2-0 : André Luiz (PEN)(68')

Lille 1-2 Marseille YouTube - BoS lil mars
1-0 : Hazard (49')
1-1 : Cheyrou (54')
1-2 : Niang (57')

Last edited:

thank u tuta, really appreciate it :))
thank u too gib, but tuta was plus rapide :DD

question for the guys living in france.

How is the media reporting the collapse of Lyon. Are they blaming the manager, president, players or are they all getting stick?

1 - Aulas + Puel :
- No transfer during winter
- Not wanting Milito since "he is not better than the other players Lyon had"
- Losing Fred just after (bad character but good footballer, the biggest issue in my opinion)
- When Piquionne is the 12th man of the team it is very representative of their lack of good players (like they used to with 17-18 international players !)

2 - Puel :
- For his defensive strategy, even at home (Their 4-5-1 strategy is outdated, Lyon needs 2 true strikers).
- Benzema is alone

3 - Keita & Juninho :
- Keita is overrated and not a real winger but Puel keeps using him here. Losing Govou was a huge problem.
- Juninho became a dirty player, always tackling late and always complaining. He is more focused on the referee than his teammates. He doesn't honor his captaincy anymore.

Gerets mentions he's quitting at end of season!!

Wonder what this will do to morale of OM players.

Is this the right time to say something like this? Is it not better to wait till end of season and then say you're quitting? Or will this actually have 'positive' affects as it might make players think, this is it! This is our opportunity! we must pull it off! I don't know.... Definitely something we can all debate about....

@Tuta, thanks for that last post. I was wondering the same thing 'kobashi' asked.

p.s. Diego Milito ROCKS!! But he loves Genoa! not sure he would've necessarily come in January anyway.

@Thomas, yes Hatem did very well in his brief appearance at the end of the game, some very good touches, nice dribbles, but honestly I wouldn't get too excited about it. After all, if your role as a possible world-class player has been turned into a player the manager brings on in the final minutes of the match to kill sometime and frustrate opponents with skill when ALREADY won the match, it already says something about your ability and the manager's trust in your ability.

so Hatem did very well on this occasion but unfortunately it must be said that, another season is almost finishing and Ben Arfa is still not living up to the hype. Only briefly showing glimpses of what he's capable of and not consistently and reliably.

It's actually weird that he moved from OL to OM and yet despite Marseille's amazing season, he didn't play a big role in it. Certainly helped at times but wasn't a BIG factor in it.

Valbuena on the other hand, not as skillful and virtually UNHEARD of a couple years ago, but has turned into a very handy player. Better than Ben Arfa. For me that's interesting... because it just shows how it's hard to predict the development/potential of players....

@gibb, I don't remember if it was the first OM goal or 2nd, but Cabaye was directly at fault for one by giving away possession leading to OM counter-attack. And yah Niang did very well, not just for the goal but for another amazing left-footed corner shot where he had burst past a defender with speed but Malicki turned that one I have in mind to a corner.

p.s. 2 more losses for 2 traditionally big French clubs who look in SERIOUS danger. Les Verts and Les Canaries. :/

@Thomas, yes Hatem did very well in his brief appearance at the end of the game, some very good touches, nice dribbles, but honestly I wouldn't get too excited about it. After all, if your role as a possible world-class player has been turned into a player the manager brings on in the final minutes of the match to kill sometime and frustrate opponents with skill when ALREADY won the match, it already says something about your ability and the manager's trust in your ability.

so Hatem did very well on this occasion but unfortunately it must be said that, another season is almost finishing and Ben Arfa is still not living up to the hype. Only briefly showing glimpses of what he's capable of and not consistently and reliably.

It's actually weird that he moved from OL to OM and yet despite Marseille's amazing season, he didn't play a big role in it. Certainly helped at times but wasn't a BIG factor in it.

I agree PLF, but if you see all OM games in 2009, when Hatem in, Hatem do nothing ! but this time, it's different, maybe Hatem at 100% and with perfect sensation. (i hope)

I dont think Gerets confirmation of leaving will effect the players as this has been on the cards for a few months now. The players probably suspected this as Gerets mentioned few months back he was unhappy how his future was still not sorted.

The club or should I say Robert Louis-Dreyfus should of offered Gerets a long term deal with more money months ago. Telling Gerets that he had to finish in top 3 was out of order considering the job Gerets has done since he has arrived. so who is next, Didier Deschamps??

Regarding Ben Arfa, the guy is clearly talented and is technically better than valbuena and ziani but gives away the ball more often. I still think he can become a real star at marseille though.

Last edited:

The strangest thing is that Gerets leaves L'Om for Al-Hillal in Saudi-Arabia when clubs like Sevilla and Bayern Munchen want him as coach.

The Belgian FA also asked Gerets to become national team coach....

Allright, he will earn plenty of money, but Gerets does not seem the type of coach who only thinks about money.

Strange.

Back
Top Bottom