Ligue 1

Re: Ligue 1 - 08/09

Season is coming to a close but unlike other years, this is far from done. There's so much to play for including The championship! The relegation battle will be interesting as well of course but that's usually the case anyway.

Watched the big derby last weekend. One of the few opportunities I've had to watch Ligue 1 this year. Was interesting to see how players have progressed. Some have gotten older and slower like Giuly and Mak of course but still class and some that were once very 'raw' like Taye Taiwo have developed very nicely and are now impressive. OM deserved the victory and now the title race is even more interesting.

And honestly who knows... some argue that teams right down to LOSC in 6th place have a shot and that may be. One thing's for sure, we will definitely see some changes by the time the curtain closes. The table could look quite different by then.

But it's good to see OM and PSG NOT under-achieving this year. For yeaaarss at LEAST one of them has been inconsistent and poor in recent seasons and sometimes 'both'! But now this year, it's a different story and with the 2 massive clubs performing like this, it's given the league a much needed boost.

PLF, do you have anu thoughts on Eden Hazard or don't you see enough of him to make a judgement...

Only seen him very briefly a couple times so my opinion isn't worth much but he did look very talented even in those brief appearances (as a sub). I could see why so many people are raving about him. He didn't seem to be all hype... he looked quality and still so young! Man.. I'm excited for Belgium's future!! They've always produced quality footballers here and there but in recent years, it's become much more frequent meaning a lot of people in your country are doing a great job on young kids interested in soccer and training them to fulfill their potential. The right infrastructure etc..

Well PLF, sadly this boom of good players has nothing todo with what happens in Belgium.

Players like Dembele, De Mul, Vertonghen became great players because they went to play foir Dutch clubs ad a very young age.

Players like Mirallas and the Hazard broters (Eden has two or 3 brothers who are younger and play for Lens) all went to French clubs.

There are only two teamin Belgium who are interested in the development of youth players: Standard (Fellaini, Witsel, Goreux) and Racing Genk (Defour, Poccognoli). But Racing Genk can't keep their good young players: they loose them to PSV (Wuytens and Arne Nillis, theson of Luc Nillis).

I think i know why this happens. You may have seen in another thread that i'm coch at my son's football team of 5 and 6 year olds. Since they win all their matches and are among the four best youth teams of their age in Belgium they were invited for a week long stage with Lierse (that is a town 5 km from our village from a team that has produced lots of fantastic players: Ceulemans, Vandenbergh, Pfaff...). After one day all our boys were fed up with the football camp...too much "discipline" for kids at that young age. Since i'm doing a exams for my youth coach badge, i know quite a lot about kids fysionomy and excercises that are damaging for young kids: that is what happened at the youth cap. We withdrew our litle boys immediately...

Sorry to off-topic.

Last edited:

Season is coming to a close but unlike other years, this is far from done. There's so much to play for including The championship! The relegation battle will be interesting as well of course but that's usually the case anyway.

Watched the big derby last weekend. One of the few opportunities I've had to watch Ligue 1 this year. Was interesting to see how players have progressed. Some have gotten older and slower like Giuly and Mak of course but still class and some that were once very 'raw' like Taye Taiwo have developed very nicely and are now impressive. OM deserved the victory and now the title race is even more interesting.

And honestly who knows... some argue that teams right down to LOSC in 6th place have a shot and that may be. One thing's for sure, we will definitely see some changes by the time the curtain closes. The table could look quite different by then.

But it's good to see OM and PSG NOT under-achieving this year. For yeaaarss at LEAST one of them has been inconsistent and poor in recent seasons and sometimes 'both'! But now this year, it's a different story and with the 2 massive clubs performing like this, it's given the league a much needed boost.
it's not a derby , but you can call it the ligue 1 classico :D
long time no see mate.

Day 29 results :
Le Havre 0-3 Bordeaux
Lille 2-1 Grenoble
Rennes 0-0 Valenciennes
Nice 2-2 Caen
Auxerre 2-0 Le Mans
Nancy 0-1 Monaco
Marseille 2-0 Nantes
Lyon 2-0 Sochaux
Lorient 3-1 Saint-Etienne
Toulouse 4-1 Paris-SG

Classement :
1 Lyon 56
2 Marseille 55
3 Bordeaux 53
4 Toulouse 52
5 Lille 52
6 Paris-SG 52
7 Rennes 48
8 Nice 41
9 Auxerre 37
10 Monaco 36
11 Lorient 35
12 Grenoble 35
13 Valenciennes 33
14 Le Mans 32
15 Nancy 30
16 Nantes 30
17 Sochaux 29
18 Saint-Etienne 29
19 Caen 27
20 Le Havre 18

Top scorer :
1 André-Pierre Gignac (Toulouse) 18
2 Guillaume Hoarau (Paris-SG) 15
3 Fernando Cavenaghi (Bordeaux) 13
4 Fernandes Michel Bastos (Lille) 12
- Karim Benzema (Lyon) 12
6 Steve Savidan (Caen) 10
7 Marouane Chamakh (Bordeaux) 9
- Amadou Alassane (Le Havre) 9
- Thorstein Helstad (Le Mans) 9
- Ludovic Obraniak (Lille) 9

Top assist :
1 Michel Bastos Fernandes (Lille) 10
2 Hellebuyck David (Nice) 9
3 Gourcuff Yoann (Bordeaux) 8
- Wendel Geraldo (Bordeaux) 8
- Gameiro Kevin (Lorient) 8
6 Kahlenberg Thomas (Auxerre) 6
- Pagis Mickaël (Rennes) 6
- Erding Mevlut (Sochaux) 6
- Danic Gaël (Valenciennes) 6

Last edited:

Gotta Love Ligue 1 this year, last week PSG could have gone top, now they are 6th haha.

Great performance from Toulouse, Braaten had a good game as did Didot.

Lille got the 2-1 win another goal from Bastos.

All 6 teams have games they should win in the next match day, but of course that means there will be some upsets.

I'd love Lille to do it but they still have to play PSG, Marseille and Toulouse again, a European place would be enough to satisfy me.

IMHO Valenciennes are playing a fantastic second round.
If i remember well they were last after the first round.
Great performance so far.
Surely Saint-Etienne wil not go down. I remember being in France during holiday and reading L'Equipe and France Football both magazines saw Saint-Etienne as possible CL contenders...what happened there ???

for the guys living in france. When will french TV confirm the date for the OM vs Lyon game? Seems that french TV schedule is much later confirmed compared to Sky and the EPL.

At the moment the OM vs Lyon game is scheduled for 16th May which is a saturday. As it is a big game is pretty much guranteed that Canal+ will broadcast this and move it to sunday? Although the UEFA cup final is on the following wednesday so I guess if OM get to the final then the game will have to be played on saturday.

I might just fly in on the sunday instad of saturday if that is the case but as i wanna book early I dont wanna get the dates wrong.

You are both right. It should be on C+ and sunday night. But...

If Marseille is still playing UEFA, I guess it can also be exceptionally :
- moved to Friday on C+ at 8pm
- moved to Saturday on C+ at 8pm

You can't know. Very rare situation.

As far as I'm aware it's not been decided that it'll be the OM v OL game

The south-coast club had been given a one-match suspended ban following November's match against Lorient, and the LFP's Disciplinary Commission has now imposed the sentence.

"Surprise is my overwhelming emotion," said Marseille president Pape Diouf, who has stated his intention to appeal against the decision. "It's a punishment which has left me speechless."

Only four matches are scheduled to take place at the Vélodrome between now and the end of the season. Grenoble visit in Week 31, but the three remaining fixtures are against teams competing with Marseille for the title, namely Toulouse in Week 34, Lyon in Week 36, and Rennes on the final day of the season.

They've got 4 games to choose from.

Day 30 results :
Le Mans 1-3 Lyon
Bordeaux 1-0 Nancy
Nantes 0-2 Lille
Valenciennes 2-0 Auxerre
Monaco 0-1 Le Havre
Grenoble 1-3 Lorient
Caen 0-0 Toulouse
Paris-SG 2-1 Nice
Sochaux 3-0 Rennes
Saint-Etienne 0-3 Marseille

Classement :
1 Lyon 59
2 Marseille 58
3 Bordeaux 56
4 Lille 55
5 Paris-SG 55
6 Toulouse 53
7 Rennes 48
8 Nice 41
9 Lorient 38
10 Auxerre 37
11 Valenciennes 36
12 Monaco 36
13 Grenoble 35
14 Sochaux 32
15 Le Mans 32
16 Nancy 30
17 Nantes 30
18 Saint-Etienne 29
19 Caen 28
20 Le Havre 21

Top scorer :
1 André-Pierre Gignac (Toulouse) 18
2 Guillaume Hoarau (Paris-SG) 16
3 Karim Benzema (Lyon) 14
4 Fernando Cavenaghi (Bordeaux) 13
- Fernandes Michel Bastos (Lille) 13
6 Marouane Chamakh (Bordeaux) 10
- Steve Savidan (Caen) 10
8 Amadou Alassane (Le Havre) 9
- Thorstein Helstad (Le Mans) 9
- Ludovic Obraniak (Lille) 9
- Loïc Rémy (Nice) 9
- Mevlut Erding (Sochaux) 9

Top assist :
2 Hellebuyck David (Nice) 9
3 Gourcuff Yoann (Bordeaux) 8
- Wendel Geraldo (Bordeaux) 8

it's not a derby , but you can call it the ligue 1 classico :D
long time no see mate.

Yah I know it's not a 'geographical' derby. I was using the term 'derby' as it is sometimes used to refer to 'classicos' or 'big historical rivalry' reasons like Man U vs. Liverpool for example.

Great to be back among you guys. :)

Chamakh's goal last week!! :CW: :BRMM:

I love that guy! If only he played great consistently!! What a player he could be. Oh well... he's still not old... still fairly young... who knows maybe in future he can fulfill his potential... right now he's a good player but you always feel he could be EVEN better.

One thing's for sure, he's a hardcore Bordeaux fan. I can't see him leaving GB for any other French team. If he leaves it'll be abroad.

Yah I know it's not a 'geographical' derby. I was using the term 'derby' as it is sometimes used to refer to 'classicos' or 'big historical rivalry' reasons like Man U vs. Liverpool for example.

Great to be back among you guys. :)

Chamakh's goal last week!! :CW: :BRMM:

I love that guy! If only he played great consistently!! What a player he could be. Oh well... he's still not old... still fairly young... who knows maybe in future he can fulfill his potential... right now he's a good player but you always feel he could be EVEN better.

One thing's for sure, he's a hardcore Bordeaux fan. I can't see him leaving GB for any other French team. If he leaves it'll be abroad.

Yeah he is good but just needs to do it on a more regular basis. Is there any premiership teams interested in him?

There are. Always has been for most recent years. Tottenham and Arsenal in particular have been linked with him in the past. Wenger probably sees the same potential in him we do. Question is, can anyone ever get Maourane to play well 'consistently' rather than looking like a forward who has it ALL one week and quite mediocre (and nothing special) the next. :p

Youhou, Marseille 1st !!!
7 matches, 7 finals : they HAVE to win all.
I'm praying so hard for that to happen.

Bordeaux - Lyon next week :).
And trick match for OM at Lorient.

Day 31 results :
Auxerre 0-2 Bordeaux
Toulouse 1-0 Nantes
Nice 2-0 Lorient
Nancy 2-0 Valenciennes
Le Mans 2-0 Sochaux
Le Havre 1-2 Caen
Rennes 1-0 Saint-Etienne
Marseille 4-1 Grenoble
Lille 0-0 Paris-SG
Lyon 2-2 Monaco

Classement :
1 Marseille 61
2 Lyon 60
3 Bordeaux 59
4 Toulouse 56
5 Lille 56
6 Paris-SG 56
7 Rennes 51
8 Nice 44
9 Lorient 38
10 Monaco 37
11 Auxerre 37
12 Valenciennes 36
13 Le Mans 35
14 Grenoble 35
15 Nancy 33
16 Sochaux 32
17 Caen 31
18 Nantes 30
19 Saint-Etienne 29
20 Le Havre 21

Top scorer :
1 André-Pierre Gignac (Toulouse) 19
2 Guillaume Hoarau (Paris-SG) 16
3 Karim Benzema (Lyon) 14
4 Fernando Cavenaghi (Bordeaux) 13
- Fernandes Michel Bastos (Lille) 13
6 Steve Savidan (Caen) 11
- Loïc Rémy (Nice) 11
8 Marouane Chamakh (Bordeaux) 10
- Amadou Alassane (Le Havre) 10

Top assist :
2 Wendel Geraldo (Bordeaux) 9
- Hellebuyck David (Nice) 9
4 Gourcuff Yoann (Bordeaux) 8
6 Kahlenberg Thomas (Auxerre) 6
- Chamakh Marouane (Bordeaux) 6
- Ben Saada Chaouki (Nice) 6
- Sessegnon Stéphane (Paris-SG) 6
- Pagis Mickaël (Rennes) 6
- Erding Mevlut (Sochaux) 6
- Danic Gaël (Valenciennes) 6

Youhou, Marseille 1st !!!
7 matches, 7 finals : they HAVE to win all.
I'm praying so hard for that to happen.

Bordeaux - Lyon next week :).
And trick match for OM at Lorient.

I think Lyon could be out of it after next week as I cant see them winning in Bordeaux.

Lorient is a tricky but Marseille are scoring goals and with the title now in the players hands I cant see OM blowing it next week.

So which of the bigger two are going down. St Etienne or Sochaux?

Marseille played Nantes, St Etienne and Grenoble, so they logicaly got 3 wins. But they will soon play against Lyon Lille and Toulouse in a raw.
So if they are still 1st after those 3 games then we'll can considered Marseille as champion...
But regarding the next games that Marseille, Lyon and bordeaux will have to play, i think Bordeaux got a real opportunity to win the league!

Back
Top Bottom