Ligue 1

Re: Ligue 1 Orange 07/08 - Start today !

The crowd was great as well, a packed stadium cheering on their team practically through the whole match.

But it will be empty for the next matches because it's won't be against Marseille anymore ;).

That's where the motivation comes from, not because Strabourg was happy to start a new season. Ask Sedan :lol:.

Strasbourg is not Sedan though. ;)

More fans. More hard-core and bigger stadium as well.

Much of it was due to their enthusiasm of being in Ligue 1. After all, in Ligue 2, Strasbourg and Caen were 2 of the bigger teams. That's why it's good to see them back. Just like it'd be nice to see Nantes bounce back although of course Nantes is much bigger.

But yes, I also get your point and it's sorta true ;) but not entirely.

I thought Strasbourg did well, showed some nice football at times, the #11 Mouloungui looked decent from what i could see on my chinese broadcast.

Eric had a good 2nd half but a horrible 1st. Him and Renteria did nothing! The game was a crappy one because both teams' forwards were crap.

Mouloungui still has the same problem he used to. Decent technique and speed but no end-product. Shitty finisher and not a good passer/crosser either.

Although, I didn't at first even recognize him due to his NOT-bleached hair anymore. :p

Poor from Marseille thought these are the games they need to win, to challenge Lyon

I don't see them challenging OL to be honest anyway.

They've brought in a number of decent players and added some depth to the squad but still, many of those players are 'avg' with only a few bright spots. And they're also in CL and that's really gonna hurt them I think.

does anyone know where i can stream these games from today?

Are you gonna have Setanta?

Tomorrow they're showing 2 Ligue 1 games and they will be showing 2 every Sunday. No saturday games from them unfortunately but that's what I have TV5-channel for. Even if they speak French and I don't understand :|, it's better than streaming on internet.

\\:o/ I'm finally watching Ligue 1 on regular basis this season, not from time to time like i did last year, you can congrat me lads!!! \\:o/ :mrgreen: I am so excited!

Congrats Re.

Though to be honest, I think Ligue 1 won't be as good this year.

Maybe more competitive but less quality players in it now than there used to be due to huge number of exports this season. :/

Niang and Cissé = zeros.

Very poor match, Strasbourg - Marseille : 0-0.

Niang and Cisse were crap but so were Wason Renteria (who didn't have a good debut and spent half the time on ground) and Eric Mouloungui.

Don't know why OM let a veteran (still quality) forward like Pagis leave! It's not like they have someone else who could head the ball like him or has the same amount of experience anyway. Bad decision to let him go! And it's not like they got much money for him since he's old. I would've definitely kept him.

I agree with Gib, Strasbourg played some nice football today. You could clearly see how motivated the players are to be back in Ligue 1.

The crowd was great as well, a packed stadium cheering on their team practically through the whole match.

Yeh, Strasbourg has good fans.

Not as hardcore as OM, St. Etienne and Lens ones perhaps but good fans nonetheless.

I wasn't impressed with them either though.

Both teams were quite poor and as a result we had a poor opening match of the season in my opinion.

Much of it was due to their enthusiasm of being in Ligue 1. After all, in Ligue 2, Strasbourg and Caen were 2 of the bigger teams. That's why it's good to see them back. Just like it'd be nice to see Nantes bounce back although of course Nantes is much bigger.

But yes, I also get your point and it's sorta true ;) but not entirely.

Eric had a good 2nd half but a horrible 1st. Him and Renteria did nothing! The game was a crappy one because both teams' forwards were crap.

Mouloungui still has the same problem he used to. Decent technique and speed but no end-product. Shitty finisher and not a good passer/crosser either.

Although, I didn't at first even recognize him due to his NOT-bleached hair anymore. :p

I don't see them challenging OL to be honest anyway.

They've brought in a number of decent players and added some depth to the squad but still, many of those players are 'avg' with only a few bright spots. And they're also in CL and that's really gonna hurt them I think.

Are you gonna have Setanta?

Tomorrow they're showing 2 Ligue 1 games and they will be showing 2 every Sunday. No saturday games from them unfortunately but that's what I have TV5-channel for. Even if they speak French and I don't understand :|, it's better than streaming on internet.

Congrats Re.

Though to be honest, I think Ligue 1 won't be as good this year.

Maybe more competitive but less quality players in it now than there used to be due to huge number of exports this season. :/

Niang and Cisse were crap but so were Wason Renteria (who didn't have a good debut and spent half the time on ground) and Eric Mouloungui.

Don't know why OM let a veteran (still quality) forward like Pagis leave! It's not like they have someone else who could head the ball like him or has the same amount of experience anyway. Bad decision to let him go! And it's not like they got much money for him since he's old. I would've definitely kept him.

Yeh, Strasbourg has good fans.

Not as hardcore as OM, St. Etienne and Lens ones perhaps but good fans nonetheless.

I wasn't impressed with them either though.

Both teams were quite poor and as a result we had a poor opening match of the season in my opinion.

yeah plf i have sentanta but OM is my favorite french club :)

OM already has more than enough fans both in France and world-wide, dude. :mrgreen:
Did you HAVE to become on too? :p ;)

p.s. God bless, Setanta, eh? :mrgreen: \\:o/ :8):

Can't wait for tomorrow and the start of Ligue 1 on Setanta. I hope they don't ruin it with some idiotic analysis or so-called experts who are actually foolish and have limited knowledge or via other ways.

Hopefully Setanta's coverage will be good.
Looking forward to it. :8):

OM already has more than enough fans both in France and world-wide, dude. :mrgreen:
Did you HAVE to become on too? :p ;)

p.s. God bless, Setanta, eh? :mrgreen: \\:o/ :8):

Can't wait for tomorrow and the start of Ligue 1 on Setanta. I hope they don't ruin it with some idiotic analysis or so-called experts who are actually foolish and have limited knowledge or via other ways.

Hopefully Setanta's coverage will be good.
Looking forward to it. :8):

it will be british dudes, so dont expect any outstanding objective journalisim

Marseille never played today. that extra bit of quality that Nasri provides was seriously missing. failed to create and real chances.

Yeah I would of loved to see Pagis stay. shame to see him leave! Rennes had a terrible result today vs Nancy.

Marseille vs Rennes next week.

After checking TV5 program schedule, i found that there going to doing a new show every Sunday at 6.30pm called France 2 Foot. Which there be reporting on Ligue 1 games and also Ligue 2 games.

After checking TV5 program schedule, i found that there going to doing a new show every Sunday at 6.30pm called France 2 Foot. Which there be reporting on Ligue 1 games and also Ligue 2 games.

good find man. normally i have to wait till monday night for Setanta highlights.

Disappointing season-opener. Not so many goals on the first day, except in Valenciennes' 3-1 impressive win over Toulouse. New boy Audel netted a hattrick. :8):

I'm happy with this begining , hadji scored one goal and made an assist in the stadium he was booed in last season . chretien made a very good game as well :mrgreen:
assist from hadji goal of fortune : http://soccers.free.fr/2007-2008/Rennes-Nancy/Fortune.wmv
goal of hadji assist from fortune : http://soccers.free.fr/2007-2008/Rennes-Nancy/Hadji.wmv

last season they have never lost at home :)
I thought Strasbourg did well, showed some nice football at times, the #11 Mouloungui looked decent from what i could see on my chinese broadcast.

Poor from Marseille thought these are the games they need to win, to challenge Lyon

marseille still have to improve their teamplay , it's just a matter of time .

Last edited:

Disappointing season-opener. Not so many goals on the first day, except in Valenciennes' 3-1 impressive win over Toulouse. New boy Audel netted a hattrick. :8):

I Can't believe Audel got a hatrick in his first games of the season for Valenciennes, he scored like 1 goal for Lille (against Lyon) Puel sells him, Lille struggle for strikers, and what happens he gets a hat-trick, typical.

Does anyone know if the Lorient player that got knocked out is ok, I was watching the Simulcast yesterday, couldn't see who it wasm his own GK struck his chin with his knee while trying to defend

I Can't believe Audel got a hatrick in his first games of the season for Valenciennes, he scored like 1 goal for Lille (against Lyon) Puel sells him, Lille struggle for strikers, and what happens he gets a hat-trick, typical.

Does anyone know if the Lorient player that got knocked out is ok, I was watching the Simulcast yesterday, couldn't see who it wasm his own GK struck his chin with his knee while trying to defend
nose and theeth broken they said :(

Re: Ligue 1 Orange 07/08

What is up with the CAPTAIN choices of some of these Ligue 1 teams, this season?

Benoit Pedretti - captain !!?? :-s

The guy isn't even f'n confident in himself. Let alone be able to lead others. He doesn't take pressure well and has always been a soft emotional kid.

Auxerre did lose a lot of veteran players this year like Fabien Cool and Radet, but still, there are better choices for captaincy than this man who has only played ONE season at AJA so far and has no real connection with the club through youth or (fav club) or whatever else.

I'm not happy with Romaric being Le Mans' captain either! Again Bonnart, first-choice captain left but there are better options still!

Oh well.. at least Lyon have got it right with the numbers and captaincy.

The policeman aka Cris - Captain
Karim *The next big thing* Benzema - #10.

:thumbup:

the amount of chances missed in that PSG vs Sochaux match was pure madness!!

Didn't watch that match but I'll be seeing the highlights show later on in the week.

For some in-depth Ligue 1 (team, player) discussion, check out the link in my signature, guys (roti, gibb, etc.) as it's happening right now before we move on to other stuff such as Liverpool's strikers, etc.

it will be british dudes, so dont expect any outstanding objective journalisim

I was satisfied with their coverage to be honest Chris.

It was 2 english dudes commentating (Forgot their names) but they have a good voice for the job and decent enough knowledge. Not anything special but can't say I was disappointed because I wasn't expecting them to have any special knowledge.

But they seemed to know a good amount and certainly enough not to ruin the event, about the teams, their history, some players and even stadiums.

Their coverage did have highlights at full-time and half time as well and overall, I'm satisfied. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't.

I'm just thankful that Setanta is available to us. Otherwise my Ligue 1 viewing pleasure would be much more limited.

Of course I would've preferred if there was another match shown rather than Le Mans vs. Metz which was as about exciting as the community shield :lol: :mrgreen: such as PSG vs. Sochaux or Rennes vs. Nancy or the Bordeaux game or almost any other, but still.. it's better than nothing and hey, at least they showed OL vs. Auxerre which was a decent match.

I caught that yesterday mate (i recall Professor Nutmeg talking about the show last season).

http://www.tv5.org/TV5Site/football/accueil.php

Although it's good to see Ligue 2 action i wish they'd of put that at the end rather than at the beginning. I had to sit through the whole program to get to Bordeaux/Lens arguably the biggest game of the day.

Audel's 3rd was a cheeky little finish wasnt it chaps...
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9Da_Z9FHA

db

Didn't watch that match but I'll be seeing the highlights show later on in the week.

For some in-depth Ligue 1 (team, player) discussion, check out the link in my signature, guys (roti, gibb, etc.) as it's happening right now before we move on to other stuff such as Liverpool's strikers, etc.

I was satisfied with their coverage to be honest Chris.

It was 2 english dudes commentating (Forgot their names) but they have a good voice for the job and decent enough knowledge. Not anything special but can't say I was disappointed because I wasn't expecting them to have any special knowledge.

But they seemed to know a good amount and certainly enough not to ruin the event, about the teams, their history, some players and even stadiums.

Their coverage did have highlights at full-time and half time as well and overall, I'm satisfied. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't.

I'm just thankful that Setanta is available to us. Otherwise my Ligue 1 viewing pleasure would be much more limited.

Of course I would've preferred if there was another match shown rather than Le Mans vs. Metz which was as about exciting as the community shield :lol: :mrgreen: such as PSG vs. Sochaux or Rennes vs. Nancy or the Bordeaux game or almost any other, but still.. it's better than nothing and hey, at least they showed OL vs. Auxerre which was a decent match.

we were watching le mans vs metz from my laptop streaming onto a 56 inch DLP, and well the picture wasnt too great, and the football was kind of boring :( so we stopped watching and played the new JLeague! :) game is really fun 2 v 2

later that night i caught the lyon match, gross was impressive but keider keita was incredibly impressive! I didnt realize he was that big of a man, but wow was he doing some tricky stuff. Benzema's goal was great and overall lyon played pretty well from front to back. I think there midfield is really good, so who sits when jouhino comes back, Kallstrom or Toulalan?

I caught that yesterday mate (i recall Professor Nutmeg talking about the show last season).

http://www.tv5.org/TV5Site/football/accueil.php

Although it's good to see Ligue 2 action i wish they'd of put that at the end rather than at the beginning. I had to sit through the whole program to get to Bordeaux/Lens arguably the biggest game of the day.
I managed sleep over the show because of that Ligue 2 coverage they did! :lol:

It was hard to understand stuff about the teams since i don't have any Ligue 2 knowledge and it was even harder since it was all in French. :D 1st half of the show should be Ligue 1; then 2nd half of the show, Ligue 2.

Channel 5 are showing Ligue 1 highlights every Monday, but it's at 5.10am on a Tuesday morning!! :mrgreen:

yeah Channel 5 show the offical Ligue 1 highlights show which is also shown on monday nights with Setanta.

05:10 is a pathetic time slot..

we were watching le mans vs metz from my laptop streaming onto a 56 inch DLP, and well the picture wasnt too great, and the football was kind of boring :( so we stopped watching and played the new JLeague! :) game is really fun 2 v 2

You notice how loud the Le Mans fans were chanting! :eek:

Holy Crap! So f'n loud that you couldn't hear the commentators well enough.

It was the perfect time for PES/WE patchers to record their chant from this match and put it in later.

later that night i caught the lyon match, gross was impressive but keider keita was incredibly impressive! I didnt realize he was that big of a man, but wow was he doing some tricky stuff.

Keita is physically superb. He's got power, balance, pace, acceleration and of course those elements combined with great dribbling and good technique makes him a VERY hard player to handle.

The problem is, he still very much lacks end-product. His vision, passing and crossing are all avg. So a lot of times, he can go past 3-4 players but then have it lead to nothing except 'replays' for channels like Setanta to show.

If he can improve his end-product though, he could become a much more useful player. Nonetheless, he's still very good to have in the team of course because he can KILL teams in counter-attacks and bring that unpredictability that each team requires to catch their opposing defenders' off guard.

I think there midfield is really good, so who sits when jouhino comes back, Kallstrom or Toulalan?

OL's strength has always been its midfield in recent years.
Let's take a look at some of the players it's had there in last few years alone.

Malouda, Essien, Mahamadou Diarra, Juninho, Alou Diarra, Kallstrom, Tiago, Toulalan! That is pretty f'n scary! :eek:

This year, the midfield is also very strong.

To answer your question, I'd have to say, if the system doesn't change and assuming Mr. Perrin wants to play with the same line up and tactic, then Kallstrom will make way. Because Toulalan is one of the world's very best in his position and as we all know, in today's football, at least one DMF is a MUST! It's essential. Where as an AMF isn't.

So I think, if he was to play with this same system of two wingers and 2 central midfielders like on Sunday, then Toulalan would always play as long as fit and not injured or in bad form, with other guys rotating.

BUT, I don't actually think that's what will happen. Not if Alain Perrin is smart anyway.

Because, why would you sit someone as great as Juninho or Kallstrom out later on, just so you can play Govou on the left? :-s

If I were the manager, I'd play a HALF-diamond 4-4-2. What I mean by that is, your 4 midfielders would be:

DMF: Toulalan

CM (but on the left sorta but not side-lines, still centrally like in a diamond formation) - Kallstrom with Bodmer as backup.

CM/AM (Centrally in more advanced position, Juninho) and as backup Kallstrom,

Right midfielder: Keita with Govou being backup.

So what you have is a real winger on the right side, but no real winger on the left. So on the left it looks like a diamond formation but on the right, you have a real winger.

And this is very possible and may well be Lyon's optimal formation this year when everyone's fit because unlike last year, they now have two good ATTACK-minded left-backs in Grosso and Belhadj.

I wouldn't recommend or play this way if the LB was still the defensive-minded Abidal.

But with Grosso or Belhadj, they will push forward and act like a left winger almost when team has possession and in advanced areas.

So it wouldn't be lacking 'width' from the left. It'd be getting it from the left back and on the right, it'd get it from both Keita and the right-back (Clerc or Reveillere)

I think this is better than sitting out one great player just to play with 2 real wingers so Mr. Govou can play.

Lyon has great central midfielders and not such great wingers anymore. So it's best to play to your strengths rather than the typical way which doesn't maximize your ability.

Of course, let's not forget about Hatem Ben Arfa who could be having his break-through year this year and will be given his fair share of chances on the left as a left winger when Lyon plays in the tradition 4-4-2 system (like on Sunday) with 2 central and 2 side midfielders/wingers.

:lol:

Källström totally freaked out and deserved to be sent off. I mean come on, I know he got elbowed, but it happens all the time and he didn't have any right to shout and spit at the linesman.

Toulouse impressed me with their attacking football. Emana was immense. Great ball control by Elmander for the goal. But Toulouse should've make it 2-0 before the end of the match. I think it was Emana that threw away an open netter and hit the post instead of scoring.

All in all it was a good game in my opinion. The quality of my stream could be better, though. :p

Didn't watch the match. So don't know what happened or what Kallstrom really did. But Toulouse is definitely turning out to be Lyon's 'bogey' team nowadays, aren't they? :D

I'm happy Toulouse won. Because before their all-crucial CL qualifier vs. Liverpool, they would need all the morale and confidence they could use.

And coming off 2 straight losses after their 2 first matches in league wouldn't have helped. Now beating OL, that's gonna boost any team's morale and gives the Purple boys more of a chance against the Merseysiders as they now will believe in themselves more.

How did Marseille play today guys?

really frustrated we only drew 0-0 with Rennes.

Gawd i hate rapidshare, i'll have a look later.

Great goal by the young slovenian Birsa, who also scored a peach in the Trophée des champions match. I'll be keeping a close eye on him this season.

Last edited:

Great goal by the young slovenian Birsa, who also scored a peach in the Trophée des champions match. I'll be keeping a close eye on him this season.

Yes, he scored a nice chip in that match. I hope he gets more chances in our NT from now on since he's shown a great amount of progress. Our NT coach barely uses him. :roll:

For those who can't download: Kallstrom red carded, Birsa's super goal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom