Ligue 1

Re: Ligue 1 Orange 06/07 - 24 July Lyon vs Sochaux in Beijing

Well I was just kidding, basically. ;)

But one thing, we all remember surely is that, it was only a few months ago that Gomis was nothing but a backup young bench player who St. Etienne even gave chances to (mostly as a sub last season) but never did anything.

Now from what I've heard (but have not witnessed myself), he's impressed in some games this year and ALREADY, the guy wants to move on!!? :-s :shock: :lol: :rolleyes:

What about players like Julien Sable and Jeremy Janot who are 5 times his quality and probably much better than he will ever be who have played for the club for years now and continue to show commitment and loyalty. It's no surprise then, that I have a deeper amount of respect for them and not so much for guys like Gomis.

------------------------------------------------

By the way, I heard Papin has had some huge disagreements with Strasbourg board of directors recently and will soon leave the club with Furlan being favourite to take over his job as manager! :eek:

Did you guys hear this? Is it true?

--------------------------------------------------

Apparently, LOSC duo (Bodmer & Keita) will leave for OL this summer. The clubs are close to agreement from what I hear but haven't fully agreed on the fees and everything yet. But most likely, it'll happen, I feel.

If the price quoted is true, I believe OL are over-paying for Keita but getting Bodmer for a good price. But who knows if it's true, websites and newspapers often talk a lot of crap. After all, it was only a few weeks ago that, according to some dumb newspaper and website, Malouda was set to join Liverpool for 8M! :lol: :roll:

In reality, that fee is closer to 3 times that amount and rightly so!

Last edited:

I agree with you about gomis . nowadays players are no more tied to their team (I did'nt use the word club) . the first oportunity is often taken and that's too bad .
I would understand it if was a souless club but not saint etienne .

as far as it concerns Papin he made a big mistake . I know he wasn't on the best terms with Ginestet but he somehow did the wrong thing to do when he made contact with bordeaux . at the end he had nothing . in morocco we say : no donkey no 7 dollars (it comes from an old story about someone who was negociating to sell a donkey and awoke with no donkey and no money , it was just a dream) .

Well I was just kidding, basically. ;)

But one thing, we all remember surely is that, it was only a few months ago that Gomis was nothing but a backup young bench player who St. Etienne even gave chances to (mostly as a sub last season) but never did anything.

Now from what I've heard (but have not witnessed myself), he's impressed in some games this year and ALREADY, the guy wants to move on!!? :-s :shock: :lol: :rolleyes:

What about players like Julien Sable and Jeremy Janot who are 5 times his quality and probably much better than he will ever be who have played for the club for years now and continue to show commitment and loyalty. It's no surprise then, that I have a deeper amount of respect for them and not so much for guys like Gomis.

Yeah i agree too the lad was quoted :the last game against OM i was on the bench and nobody told me WHY!!!!
lol wtf who this guy thinks he is??:roll:

Two good purchases by OL but 2 big losses for LOSC.

They do get good money out of this deal though, so hopefully they can find suitable replacements.

Plus LOSC, has their own talented youngsters who in a couple years could fill the shoes of Bodmer and Keita in form of guys like Debuchy and Cabaye. So I'm not too worried about them. Because even if they don't buy someone quality (which they can with that sorta money), they have good enough youngsters as back up who with more playing time, could become real stars.

@Pog, I heard the same thing but that he contacted RC Lens for job and that pi$$ed off Gineset. But maybe he contacted both Bordeaux and Lens. I don't know.

Yeah i agree too the lad was quoted :the last game against OM i was on the bench and nobody told me WHY!!!!
lol wtf who this guy thinks he is??:roll:

Hahaha.. honestly!! :shock: :-s :lol:

The guy was and still is a f'n nobody. Very avg player who may just may become a decent (but nothing special) player in the future. Misses a lot of good chances as well.

Never liked Gomis much to be honest and after he's said this stuff, I have even less respect for him.

St. Etienne should kick him out instantly. There's way better youngsters and he's hardly anything good.

Two good purchases by OL but 2 big losses for LOSC.
big losses for lille and for ligue 1 . lyon was already the favorite for next season's title and now they made another team weaker it's too bad .
ligue 1 needs lyon to recruit well abroad . I don't know what others thinks about it but to me it seems like ligue1's level is decreasing . last season was better than this season and I hope next season won't be worse .
it's not all because of lyon , it's an after world cup season after all and there are other parameters , but I really wish Lyon stops taking the best players of other clubs each season and selling it's own players to foreign leagues . well I say foreign but I'm not french :lol:

What you're saying is completely true. It's good for Lyon but not good for Ligue 1, what they're doing. :nono:

Luckily, so much quality young talent is being produced in France by many different clubs' academies at such a fast rate every year, that it's compensating for this negative movement in some ways.

I think we all know and agree with what you mentioned though.

It's the same about how I get disappointed as a neutral Bundesliga fan, when I see sometimes, some great players in Bundesliga move from HSV ---> Bayern or from Werder to Schalke or transfers like that.

I'd rather see the very top teams not buy the other good teams' domestic talent but rather import from abroad which would make Ligue 1 and Bundesliga both stronger.

So this year, I'm a lot happier for Bundesliga with Ribery and Luca Toni and Jose Ernesto Sosa being transferred to Bayern let's say than I was when I saw Daniel van Buyten, Frings, Lucio and Valerien Ismael join them from other top Bundi teams.

I totally agree with you guys, but the problem is it happens everywhere.

Celtic & Rangers buy from Lower SPL teams
Alot the EPL clubs buy off each other
Ligue 1 and Bundesliga the stronger teams buy from the rest of the teams.

However I can understand why it happens, It's ok saying teams should buy from abroad, this can have an adverse effect on the team aswell though.

Like if a player who is good in League A moves to League B but doesn't settle to the style of play.

So if a team from League A buys from League A then you know the player can play in a leagues certain style and has done well or you wouldn't want to buy him, so the settling in period is alot shorter, and usually more succesful.

So fair play to Lyon for bringing in talented Ligue 1 players, cause they know they can perform in their league.

With Bayern Munich as fantastic as the signings of Ribery and Toni are who's to know if they will suite the Bundesliga, look at Shevchenko, amazing in Serie A, only showed signs of the player he is at Chelsea this year, and not a good season for him, he'll surely find his feet eventually.

SO with Keita, Bodmer, Tavlaridis, Audel gone from Lille, I would rather Puel brought in quality replacemnts from other Ligue 1 teams e.g Kone and Gignac and Gouffran from Ligue 1 new team Caen (Rumours on the Lille forum), rather than going to countries were the players might not suit the league or team.

When teams go abroad for players more often than not it means that young local players don't get the chance, this was the big mistake lots of SPL teams made for a long time, now teams like Hibs and Aberdeen go for Scottish players and it works better now, then Hibs sell Scott Brown to Celtic for £4.4 million and they've made money from nothing.

I think both ways are good for football, buying from your own league in the long run helps all the teams, cause the money is kept in the league and spread about (Lille now have €25million to spend). Then when you buy abroad you can bring fantastic talents like Juninho, Dindane, Elmander etc into the league.

Everyone wins. :mrgreen:

Can't believe Lyon just paid 16M€ for Keita and 6.5M€ for Bodmer.
Bodmer doesn't even fit in the formation...

Juninho is not the same player as two/three years ago.
Malouda and Tiago are leaving. (Aulas said today that a club paying Lyon 15M€ can take him)
Perrin won't play a Ligue 1 and CL with Diarra, Toulalan, Kallström and anyone they have there.
So it'll be his first challenge to rebuild an entire formation.

And i hope he has learned that Lyon won't go anywhere without two forwards.

I didn't say Lyon are wrong to do that , it's a very good thing for lyon as I said .
as far as it concerns the young players yes france is very good to produce players , the problem is that they are leave more and more early . the thing is France produce good youngsters but don't often give them the chance in the first team .
Eredivisie is the best league for youngster , they are given a chance there . in Eredivisie Obertan (for example) would surely have been used more than he was in Bordeau .
on the other hand the young ones whom are given chance to play leave their club too soon for a better one . if it's not for PSG OM and Lyon they go abroad . there are exeptions such as Lloris who's not willing to leave Nice already but those exeptions a fewer and fewer .

Can't believe Lyon just paid 16M€ for Keita and 6.5M€ for Bodmer.
Bodmer doesn't even fit in the formation...

I can't believe Lyon got Bodmer for only €6.5M thats scandalous, surely his value is worth more than that.

In my eyes he's more important than Keita, we'll miss him more than Keita.

And I can't see why Bodmer doesn't fit the formation, do Lyon not play a DM, CM and a AM, Bodmer can play in all 3 positions, if they go 4-4-2 then he can play in the CM role cause the man attacks and defends very well

Last edited:

of course Bodmer will fit in the formation he can play instead of Thiago(who's on his way out to Milan or Juventus) as CM if they play 4.3.3
And Malouda will leave soon for Chelsea for 20M Euro:)

I can't believe Lyon got Bodmer for only €6.5M thats scandalous, surely his value is worth more than that.

In my eyes he's more important than Keita, we'll miss him more than Keita.

And I can't see why Bodmer doesn't fit the formation, do Lyon not play a DM, CM and a AM, Bodmer can play in all 3 positions, if they go 4-4-2 then he can play in the CM role cause the man attacks and defends very well
it depends on how much years remained in Bodmer's contract will Lille .
of course Bodmer will fit in the formation he can play instead of Thiago(who's on his way out to Milan or Juventus) as CM if they play 4.3.3
And Malouda will leave soon for Chelsea for 20M Euro:)
I don't think Lyon will play 4-3-3 , Perrin likes to have 2 tops .

Gib (and others) what do you knpw of Kevin Mirallas?

I hope he will get lots of playing time at Lille next season, as watching him at the under-21 EC for 3 games, he has shown to be very talented. Reminds me a bit of Klose, hes not too short, but also fats and good with the ball, and he can head aswell. His finishing is also not bad for his age, and he can only get better. :)

I hope he will get lots of playing time at Lille next season, as watching him at the under-21 EC for 3 games, he has shown to be very talented. Reminds me a bit of Klose, hes not too short, but also fats and good with the ball, and he can head aswell. His finishing is also not bad for his age, and he can only get better. :)

Mirallas is a player I have high hopes for, This seaspn he got alot more playing time then last year, with Lille being in the CL Fauvergue and Kevin got more time in the games before the CL games.

I think for Kevin to progress more it might need for a change of formation for LOSC, in the usual 4-5-1 he's not really got a place there, he's too light and small to play the CF, and not as fast as Keita was to play the RW, but if Puel goes to a 4-4-2 he could easily find a spot upfront, beside either a new front man, or Odemwingie or Fauvergue (who is another one to watch out for, big big guy good header of the ball)

He played his part in 30 games this season playing 934 minutes and scored 2 goals, He started 6 of the Last 7 games the game he didn't start he came on as a Sub.

Unfortunately i've not seen any of those games in full, just highlights each week, he's doing well and being bred slowly by Puel who seems to have faith in him, which is good enough for me, so far I have only seen him play 1 full match, and he impressed me, I've got 3 of Belgiums games to watch that I downloaded from the Under 21's.

I've got a video of all Lille's goals, i'll chop it and upload Mirallas 2 goals and link them here.

Kevin is talented and slowly being developed and used sparingly more and more often by Puel as time goes on.

He could have a very good future but obviously due to LOSC playing with 1 real forward in the past couple years and there being competition from better players like Odemwingie and Fauvergue (who offers something different, Peter and Kevin don't) as well as other guys like Keita and Audel who can fill that striker role, his playing time has been fairly limited.

But he's a youngster, so he'll be patient and get more and more playing time hopefully as he matures and Puel trusts him more.

@gib, you bring up a good point.

OL can go buy players from abroad but who's to say they will adapt to Ligue 1? A lot of players can't and won't be able to. But when you buy established Ligue 1 players from the likes of Lille, that risk factor is much less because they've already proven their worth in this league. Just like Kallstrom was a good buy, Keita and Bodmer are already proven as well and can become very useful.

@tuta, I think Bodmer will fit in and even if not, OL needs great backup players on bench even. But he will fit in because he's extremely versatile and can play anywhere in midfield in the center. So therefore, EVEN if he is to become a rotation/back up player, he'll still be very important because he'll be able to fill the DMF, CM or AMF positions when needed.

--------------------------------------

@Pog, sadly, you're right. :|

Either youngsters are not getting played as much as they would in another league or team like Obertan in Bordeaux OR they are leaving WAY too early now like Gourcuff after only one senior season or even worst, horrible cases like Adel Taarabat!

Of course there is extremely smart and mature youngsters like Nasri and Lloris who want to stay but guys like them are few and far in between. :|

I agree for Bodmer but I remember him saying he preferred to be in an axial position and participate a lot to the attacks.

I'd go to Lyon too if it guarantees a selection with les Bleus...

he scored against holland ? unfortunately I could'nt watch the game although I really wanted to watched especially since we played both teams recently . I've seen the rankings and as I expected holland and belgium went through , but I'm disapointed about italy in the other group . but as england aren't allowed into the olympic games which will be the 4th team ? I've seen italy and portugal both have 4 pts .

he scored against holland ? unfortunately I could'nt watch the game although I really wanted to watched especially since we played both teams recently . I've seen the rankings and as I expected holland and belgium went through , but I'm disapointed about italy in the other group . but as england aren't allowed into the olympic games which will be the 4th team ? I've seen italy and portugal both have 4 pts .

yeah he did, he scored the opening goal with a great header (ended 2-2)

Italy and Portugal play a playoff game for the last Olympic ticket on Thursday.

And cheers for replies Gib and PLF :)

because it's not a country .
I have my answer , a playoff will be played between italy and portugal .
We enter as Great Britain in the olympics, not England
United Kingdom or Great Britain ? Northern Ireland is not a part of great Britain is it ? the official flag I know is for United Kingdom (even we often say Great Britain in french) .

Last edited:

Malouda to chelsea done:) and Lassana Diarra going the other way:(

Aulas said they want cash and lots of it for Malouda and aren't interested in any swap deal involving any players from Chelsea or whoever else is interested in acquiring Malouda. Mr. Blanc (Their technical manager or whatever it's called) even laughed off suggestions that Lassana Diarra would be coming to OL from what I read.

And it's not a good move for him anyway. He has more chance of playing time at Chelsea than at Lyon to be honest unless Alou is offloaded.

Tiago is gonna be gone very soon. Juve want him and Sampdoria apparently as well.

As for the fee that OL payed for Bodmer and Keita, I find it a little strange. I don't think it's that accurate because Kader should cost less than it is being reported and Bodmer would be a bargain if the fee OL payed was really true. So I think most likely, the total amount is correct but the media are mistakenly making the Keita fee sound more than it really is and the Bodmer fee less.

@gib, haven't seen the vids yet. But will later.

-------------------------------------

OM have made the first good addition to their squad for next season by bringing the very well-rounded Benoit Cheyrou to Velodromme for next season. Let's hope both them and Toulouse strengthen the squad much more or they'll be bad representatives for France next year!

The extremely versatile Lionel Mathis is also leaving Auxerre to sign a 4-year deal with Sochaux.

And it looks like, Tottenham are very advanced in talks with AJ Auxerre to bring one of France's top defensive prospects in Younes Kaboul to London.

Bakari Sagna is also linked with a lot of clubs and he could be yet another to leave the club.

It'll be interesting to see who Auxerre is gonna try to replace these players with.

Last but not least, veteran defender, Johan Radet is moving to newly promoted Strasbourg next season as Auxerre wants to give another one of its youth players, (Baptiste Martin) more playing time next year.

Well, i'm really happy that Benoit Chryrou will finally get CL appearances he really deserved by his hard work throu those years with Auxerre, he's one of their better players and one of my favourites. I had him in every PES in at least one of my ml teams beggining from Auxerre ML back in PES 4.

Don't think that going to Spurs ia a good move for Kaboul, he should've stayed in League 1 for another year just to become stronger and more experienced, cos he's nothing but a very promising youngster yet in my eyes.

What I'm not really happy about is how Auxerre consistently looses their leaders - Akale, Kaboul, Sagna, Cheyrou, Mathis, Kahlenberg may be leaving too and it's only this year. Imagine what team it could've been by now if they could've kept at least half of players who've left in the previous 3-4 years: Djibril Cisse, Bonaventure Kalou, Philippe Mexes, Jean-Alain Boumsong, Teemu Tainio, Olivier Kapo, Vassiriki Diaby...

Last edited:

This is off topic, but still related to French football. I watched a French movie called 11 commandements a couple of days ago and they had a good segment in it. Before a Lyon home match 4 guys went to Stade Gerland and the announcer presented them as St.- Etienne fans. :D Just that made the home fans very angry. Then they sung Le Lyon est mort ce soir (Lyon died tonight - correct me if I'm wrong).

Here's the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usDwt6h-n7Y

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom