Ligue 1

Re: Ligue 1 Orange 06/07

what do you mean by "that" ?
anyway if lyon recruit 2 fw as their president says and if one of them is baros , I don't see the problem . with as many fw as that injury won't be such a big deal . they were interested in chamakh as well and he's also known for having a body wich can easily be injuried .
ok it's better not to have injury but it's also very important to have a fw you can use and know how to use . if carew doesn't get injuried often it's a good point but it doesn't compensate the fact that he's not within his coach's plans .
I think baros isn't a bad idea especially if he can play the best we've seen from him again .

Well yeh if Lyon do buy another forward, there's no problem. They will have good enough depth and yes in that case, the Baros deal could potentially even be a good one.

Milan is a talented player. He's always been. It's just that he's rather inconsistent, somewhat injury prone and sometimes doesn't look like he's working hard enough (or is enough of a team-player.)

But he still has the potential to become a very good striker. He's got speed and dribbling ability and he's not small or a push-over either. If Houllier can motivate him and get the best out of Baros, (He's the guy who purchased him for Liverpool in the first place after all), we could possibly see a really good forward and as a result another good transfer for L'OL.

All of that at this time though is an IF. I think Chamakh also has a lot of potential but I wouldn't be surprised if one day Baros and Chamakh are 32 years old and we still have not seen the best of what they could've become and been. Many players finish their careers and despite being good, never turn out AS good as they could have become and had the potential to be.

I agree with you PLF, but sometimes those talented players only need a litle attention from a manager who is good at man management.
Guy Roux and Enzo Scifo spring to my mind. Scifo was seen as the biggest talent ever in Belgian football. He did well in Anderlecht but did not succeed in Italy or France. That is until he played for Auxerre and Roux where he became outstanding.
He was arguably the best player in the 1990 WC but he only played for Belgium...I remember that Gazetto Dello Sport gave him the highest average quotes of all the players in the tournament...i know there is a lot wrong with this subjective form of appreciation but it does give something of an indication...
Baros may turn out to be a good buy...

Well yeh if Lyon do buy another forward, there's no problem. They will have good enough depth and yes in that case, the Baros deal could potentially even be a good one.

Milan is a talented player. He's always been. It's just that he's rather inconsistent, somewhat injury prone and sometimes doesn't look like he's working hard enough (or is enough of a team-player.)

But he still has the potential to become a very good striker. He's got speed and dribbling ability and he's not small or a push-over either. If Houllier can motivate him and get the best out of Baros, (He's the guy who purchased him for Liverpool in the first place after all), we could possibly see a really good forward and as a result another good transfer for L'OL.

All of that at this time though is an IF. I think Chamakh also has a lot of potential but I wouldn't be surprised if one day Baros and Chamakh are 32 years old and we still have not seen the best of what they could've become and been. Many players finish their careers and despite being good, never turn out AS good as they could have become and had the potential to be.
now I agree :)
anyway as I told you houiller knows well baros and we can see he has a different profile than carew so the change must make sense as the coach is the one who know the best what profile he needs .
now will baros become better or not it's just speculation and we can't be for sure also to know if it's a good deal or not we have to know the details in the trade , how much money is involved , how much was paid carew and how much will baros earn each month .
what I don't understand is why do they need an mdf this soon ? they anounced 3 players will be recruited for sure : 2 fowards and a defensiv midfielder .

Last edited:

diarra is injured for 2 months plus they don't have enough cover for this position. they have only toulalan but Thiago can play there but he 's definitely better as a CM

@Pog, they need a DMF because of what Alain said. Sadly Alou is injured again. :|

I heard they are after getting own former youngster, Jeremy Clement back from Rangers but they aren't the only club after him.

Regarding him being different from Carew, sure that's true and that's what GH wanted so it's good. But the points I made in last page remains. Carew offered something VERY different. A big different alternative to Benzema and Fred. I'm not saying Baros is a similar player to Fred or Karim because he isn't. But he can't give the different alternative which 'Big John' gave the team in case they wanted different tactics or to trouble a certain defender with that GIANT size/height yet good technique/hold up ball.

So losing John won't be a big loss since he only played well a few times for Lyon and was largely ineffective and inconsistent. But missing that 'alternative approach' they could've had with Carew, will be missed a little because Baros nor any other 'non-giant' player will be able to offer the same thing Carew could. :p

@Tuta, true! :thumbup:

@Gerd, I totally know what you mean. That's why I think if given the right confidence and Baros works hard himself and stays off injuries, he could really develop the potential we know he has but hasn't been able to yet at Lyon and as a result turn out to be a really good buy.

p.s. I was veryyyyyyy young at that time so I don't remember it so much or so well (though you can ask my parents, they said you watched/played and followed football since you were in your diapers :mrgreen: so I must remember something :p) but Enzo Scifo is a LEGEND! I seem to remember him vaguely but the guy was Amazing! Seems I only remember the good parts cuz I remember the things he was great at but not much 'bad' about him. :p

That's cause I was too young at that time I guess.

This afternoon, Marseille-Auxerre is going to be played in an empty stadium because of the Nice incident.

But the fan groups will meet outside the stadium in order to sing ! :)

Lille is playing PSG tonight, right? I'm hope GoalTV 2 started broadcasting Ligue 1 games again. They didn't do it for the past 2 weeks because of the earthquake they had in Asia.

@Sina: How often does TV5 air Ligue 1 games?

WE'RE SECOND !!!
Ok not for long but we're present.

Marseille - Auxerre : 3-1
Ribéry (8',38')
Jelen (17')
Taiwo (88') (Freekick)

Hi guys, I don't normally post in this thread but after seeing tuta's last post it made me wonder something, Taiwo scoring a free kick. I have watched this guy play for Nigeria and Marseille a couple of times, and remember him scoring some good free kicks and long shots at goal with powerful shooting on those occasions. Is this a particular specialty he has, or is he just a hit and hope merchant? I'm also interested in what other talents he possesses, because on the couple of times I saw him play he looked quite good all round as a left back.

Anyone care to give their more learned view to an interested individual?

Cheers, Ad

He hit the ball hard and scores. He has a good technic but we only ask him to use his powershot. He only scores when he is in the axe of the field (but near post). He scores 3-4 FK a year and a couple of longshots.
For the other positions, we prefer Nasri or Ribery even if they never score...

I also think he makes good long passes. In my team, I haven't seen this quality in a long time with a winger. When he's pressed, his accuracy is still good.

His weakness is defence. We all know that but he brings so much in attack that we can't replace him.

Go to our thread and search for his name there.

We've discussed him there a few times before and that should give you enough info.

All in all though, he's not what I call a good player yet but a promising prospect instead.

The reason for that is while he's impressive physically (athletically) since he's not only strong but also fast and has a BULLET incredibly powerful left-foot, there's plenty of flaws still in his game.

He's not good at defending and let's just say he's not the brightest player to have ever played for OM either. :rolleyes:

He doesn't read the game well and doesn't seem very intelligent to me. More about brute than brains let's say. The sorta guy who makes it as a pro because he has what it takes physically.

His technique is below average as well for a full-back especially one who plays regularly for a team like OM. Though of course thanks to his pace, he can still get past some players and deliver a good cross at times. Though again his crosses often aren't very accurate in terms of direction and he needs several chances to put a good one in but the good thing about his crosses is that much like his shots, the speed of them is very good. So if and when it has the right direction, it'll be at the sorta pace defenders hate and have a hard time defending against.

Overall, he's a promising young player who can develop into a good player but at the moment, while there's some good things about him, there's also things that seriously makes him NOT very impressive when you watch him in full matches.

As for his shooting and FK's which you asked, there's no real technique. He has a bit of technique in some shots but on the whole it's a case of a physically strong guy with an incredibly powerfull left-foot (think of Roberto Carlos or Adriano sorta power) hitting and hoping for the best. The accuracy isn't very good either but when OM gets FK's near the box or around that area, he doesn't even have to hit it in the corner for it to be a goal. :p

It can be a less than perfect shot yet it could go in due to its huge power or take a deflection, etc.

Hi guys, I don't normally post in this thread but after seeing tuta's last post it made me wonder something, Taiwo scoring a free kick. I have watched this guy play for Nigeria and Marseille a couple of times, and remember him scoring some good free kicks and long shots at goal with powerful shooting on those occasions. Is this a particular specialty he has, or is he just a hit and hope merchant? I'm also interested in what other talents he possesses, because on the couple of times I saw him play he looked quite good all round as a left back.

Cheers, Ad
he has a powerfull shot and not only his fk are accurate . it's hard to believe he's so young , he has really a strong body for his age .
but as a defender he makes many mistakes so he still should improve that part to be a gread left back .

Lyon restart the year with very hard work of preparation, Lyon know when need win games ;)

I'm happy for OM ! c'mon the Champion's League for next year guys ! :applause:

It's useless if Lyon lose, I wanted Lens to win and be 11 points behind. Now Marseille has to do the dirty work :).

All in all though, he's not what I call a good player yet but a promising prospect instead.
[...]
He doesn't read the game well and doesn't seem very intelligent to me. More about brute than brains let's say. The sorta guy who makes it as a pro because he has what it takes physically.
[...]
His technique is below average as well for a full-back especially one who plays regularly for a team like OM.

I think it changed a lot this year. His placement improved. And he has enough technic to clear the ball and allow lots of counter attacks.
And he never scored on a deflection as far as I remember. He tries to shoot next to the post, I'm sure.

His bodytype doesn't allow him to be a fast winger but now he is confident and tries to compensate for his weakness. That's the big difference with last year. At least, he knows he is far from the perfect player. We should mix together Beye and Taiwo.

Hahah yeh if you could give Habib Beye's experience, intelligence and sense of positioning and TEAMplay to Taiwo, he'd become a lot better. But at the moment Beye >>> Taiwo by far! In fact Beye is the only real good player OM has apart from the obvious Ribery in my opinion. (Many of their other players shouldn't be playing for a club like OM and are mediocre or just decent, nothing more.

Nasri of course has magic too and has had it since a young boy (I still remember seeing him for first time at 16 ;) ) but he too like Taiwo still has a LOT of learning to do before becoming an established player. Right now he's already a good player but he can become world-class and is far far away from that level for now. But hopefully if continued on right track, he can become an amazing player but that's not anything new, we've all known that since pretty much the first times we saw the kid play. ;)

Habib Beye is not great or anything but the guy is definitely under-rated in eyes of most people simply because he's not a flashy full-back but instead a solid one.

As for Taiwo, he's actually got good speed for a guy who is as bulky and strong as him. Speed isn't a weakness of his in my opinion.

And regarding the low 'intelligence' thing I said and how Taiwo doesn't seem to be the smartest guy, I don't think that's improved much this year and I don't think it's something you can improve much anyway. I mean the guy just isn't very sharp or smart it seems lol. He has gotten better this year compared to last no doubt with his sense of positioning, etc. But at the end of the day, he does remind you of the 'donkey physical' sorta player with his poor touches on the ball and incapability to read the game well and move into right positions or make interceptions quite often.

But yes, he is improving and hopefully he'll continue improving and one day turn out to be a good LB. :)

that is if his actuall age is not too much higher than his official one :-\"
ps : don't you think he looks like tracy chapman ?

:mrgreen: :lol:

total said:
@Sina: How often does TV5 air Ligue 1 games?
Check soccertv.com mate.

They will have schedules of what that channel and many others who show football will show including which matches a few days in advance.

From my experience, TV5 shows one game on Saturdays around 11:10 Eastern time (That's North American so is my time zone) so in Europe I think it's that +5 so around 4:10 or so your time maybe.. but I'm not sure about this stuff.

They also have some sorta highlight + discussion show it seems on Sundays where they take a look at goals/highlights from majority of matches.

That's pretty much it from what I've noticed. Not the greatest Ligue 1 coverage but better than nothing and they seem to at times show a bit from 'cup games' as well.

Anyways, look up the real schedules cuz they know a whole lot more than I do and they can confirm things rather than guess-work and speculation which is what I'm doing on my part somewhat. :p

Hey guys, Most of you know I am a Lille fan ever since Sina's ligue 1 beta file, well this week I booked my tickets to go to the Metropole and watch Lille host Le Mans the weekend of the 17th of March.

I can't wait gonna be an awesome weekend, I'm going myself so more oppurtunities to talk to some local Lille fans and soak up the atmosphere.

Was wondering if any of you french guys have been to Lille before, know of anywhere/anything I must see or do when I'm there.

Did anyone watch the game versus PSG, I thought it was a poor performance from both teams, Lille's defence was solid though, but some of the passing was terrible, Keita was best man on the park by far, Makoun was pretty good too, Nice for him to pop up with a goal.

Good to see Le Guen following on how he's been doing all season with poor performances, but it could have been different if Gallardos shot near the end was a few centimetres to the right.

Fucking bad referee for Le Mans vs.OM !!!!!!! :mad:

OM score a good goal referee says no !
and big simulation by Le Mans player and referee says PK !

FUCK

Lille is nice city...
The biggest bookshop of Europe is in Lille...

oh and i have a transfer rumour, yesterday onyewu should have played his last match for Standard, on Belgian television it was said that onyewu will go to L'OM...
Jesus, such a shit team...poor Gooch...i actually think Standard'steam is better...On the other hand this transfer makes sense, L'Om and Standard have the same majority share holder or owner and in the recent past there have been quite a few transfers from Standard to L'OM: Van Buyten, Cavens, Runje,...

Last edited:

Lyon 1 - 1 Nice
.............34' B. Kone
39' M. Baros

Baky!!! \\:o/ Good result for us. :)

Nantes lost again. :mrgreen: This time to Lorient.

Chamakh scored an own goal to give Lille the win at Bordeaux.

@ThomasGoal, I also couldn't understand why the Marseille goal was disallowed.

Back
Top Bottom