HTC Mobile Phones Thread

What is this? Sounds interesting tell me more!

It overlays a view from your camera (not in the camera app itself, this app accesses your camera) and puts a grid over the top and dots showing points of interest.

You can set these from a menu (i.e. Train stations, pubs etc) and they populate on your map view, so using the compass, you hold the phone out and can see what direction and how far things are away.

The most impressive layer I've used so far is for Products. You type in what you are looking for and it shows you all the shops in the area selling that with directions etc.

Very cool!

Done exactly what I said with Facebook. The mobile page is actually much better than the Android app, so I've added it as a bookmark shortcut on my homescreen and it loads up just as quick as the App and has all the features!

Cool, where actually do you go to access it? Google maps?

Nah, its its own standalone app.

If you search for "Layar" (note spelling) in the store, you will see it. I think Layar are the makers, and the actual app is called "Reality Browser".

Oh and Dags, 'FishFood' is pretty addictive :LOL:

Oo, oo! Next question! I dont seem to be able to get 3G signal. I'm going to check it side by side with my other halves iPhone later, but I've never seen 3G popup - only H and G :(

Need to know if I have to change any settings in the mobile networks screen - I'm on O2 if that helps. I used to see the 3G sign in and around my house when I had the iPhone, so I know I get signal here.

H is HSDPA, better than 3G ;)

H is HSDPA, better than 3G ;)

Ah is it? Thought it was slower than 3G? Looked on Vodafone site (Google threw up that page for help) and they ranked it with H last - though to be fair it didnt explicitly say they were in speed order! :LOL:

Ah well, must be defaulting to the fastest then?

Had a few doubts late last night about this phone, but it gets better and better!

Definition:

HSDPA stands for High-Speed Downlink Packet Access.

It's a fast 3G network used by AT&T and T-Mobile. HSDPA is the fastest of the fast 3G networks; it's so fast that it's often called a 3.5G network.

AT&T says its HSDPA network can hit speeds of 3.6 Mbps to 14.4 Mbps. Real-world speeds typically are slower than that, but HSDPA is still a super-fast network.

:)

OK Cannot actually put this piece of equipment down so thought I mays well share some of my top games apps with you guys, check them out and let me know what you think. Would like to hear some of yours too!

Games:

Blocked stone - basic but fun and addictive - plenty of levels and plenty of difficulty settings. Move blocks to get a block out of the level.

Toss it - fun for a couple of mins - throwing paper into a bin with a fan on so you have to judge the aim accordingly with the wind power.

Puzzle blox arcade - fun different type of game, tap the colours in a row to get rid of them, other blocks fall.

Frozen bubble - another fun colour bubble game where you fire them up in the air and match them with blocks already in the air

Zebra paint - fun to colour in the lines and make some pretty pictures

Solitaire - does as you expect

Jewels - again another class game

Pinball - pretty good but think i'll uninstall soon I like variety and power ups etc seems pretty basic

Break the blocks - pretty fun, the one with the paddle at the bottom and you hit the ball off it to hit blocks in the air and break them. Like it because it has powerups etc

Mathworkout Lite - i'll be payin for the full version of this I think. It's all different quick fire maths puzzles like on the DS. Love it, my fave

Wordup - Boggle!! Love it, great interface and usability. Very good game

Falling ball - pretty shit but I like it. Move your phone left to right make the little man avoid getting squashed. Music is hilarious.

Apps:

Qik - live video streaming and uploads straight away - only con is the video quality isnt great when streaming or uploading but it's good enough

UK Rail - Great basic for train times

Speed Test - as it says!

Pkt Ebay - great ebay app

Package Tracking - awesome app for tracking packages - has all the major couriers in there and you can get alerts and notifications when status changes on your package

Sky News, Shazam (wow), Movies (Flixster) - Whats on TV - Pic Say (Pic Editor)- beebplayer - ES File Explorer ( best file explorer imo nice and easy and fast) - Quick Uninstaller - SnapTell ( take a photo of an item it matches it finds cheapest online price) and Barcode Scanner

Theyre all great and work well!

EDIT: How could I forget TuneWiki my favourite music app for stream shoutcast radio!

Also EboBirthdays great widget to have to show up and coming birthdays - links with facebook so you see all your friends!

Daily Horoscopes - also a nice little app for daily horoscopes I like to check it everyday :)

Last edited:
For some reason ive only got 115mb internal memory remaining with only a couple of applications installed. Doesnt sound right so can anyone help me out on how to free up some internal storage.

Anyone got a good Sky+ app? The official Sky one on the iPhone was the nuts - could set up remote recordings, but cannot find anything similar on the 'Droid...

Anyone got a good Sky+ app? The official Sky one on the iPhone was the nuts - could set up remote recordings, but cannot find anything similar on the 'Droid...

I use Whats On TV - and the full version allows you to link to your sky+ box etc, give it a shot.

For some reason ive only got 115mb internal memory remaining with only a couple of applications installed. Doesnt sound right so can anyone help me out on how to free up some internal storage.

That's probably referring to RAM, not storage.

Question for people with Desire's. My girlfriend got her phone today and she's imported her numbers from the sim card. She then copied them to her SD card so she can edit the entries. Now there seems to be a problem entering a new record and the phone just deletes the record a minute later or so?

For example we completed deleted my entry, and then tried to create a new profile. It all creates fine, links with my Facebook and shows up in the contacts list. Then a few seconds later, when you click my entry, all of the data she entered is gone and it just shows the Facebook details with no telephone numbers etc.

Any ideas? Annoying both of us now and it's not a great start for her if she can't enter new contacts because the phone will delete them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked "Manage applications" in settings to see what's installed?

Is it on t-mobile??

That's probably referring to RAM, not storage.

Question for people with Desire's. My girlfriend got her phone today and she's imported her numbers from the sim card. She then copied them to her SD card so she can edit the entries. Now there seems to be a problem entering a new record and the phone just deletes the record a minute later or so?

For example we completed deleted my entry, and then tried to create a new profile. It all creates fine, links with my Facebook and shows up in the contacts list. Then a few seconds later, when you click my entry, all of the data she entered is gone and it just shows the Facebook details with no telephone numbers etc.

Any ideas? Annoying both of us now and it's not a great start for her if she can't enter new contacts because the phone will delete them.

Orange, although it looks like its decided to work now. It was being odd in general
When she linked a person with Facebook and chose to use the Facebook name as the display, it appears to work but as you're looking through the contact list, you literally see their display name revert back! Going in and changing it a second time worked but really weird.

Facebook has been updated today - now includes private messages :) Takes this app back into line with the iPhone one for me, so happy bunny!

I think someone said that AIR is the desktop equivalent of Flash where Flash is used for online videos really. It should make porting games from iPhone and online a LOT easier from what I've read.

One thing to remember is that Android is Google and the Nexus One will get updates first. Then they'd go over to HTC to mix into Sense UI and that might take some time. I think the Hero is still on 1.5 firmware?

Have you checked "Manage applications" in settings to see what's installed?

I have mate and its just the usual HTC or Android based programs that the phones come standard with. Regularly clear cache aswell but has not really had much effect.
Installed a few small apps last night and now the internal storage is down to 85mb.

If you don't mind me asking how much is your current internal storage? Just so i can get an idea.

I keep chopping and changing roms so I'm not the best person to ask, plus I'm not running Sense UI. The Desire owners should be able to help there tho.

Edit: just installed a new rom and instaaled a few. Apparently, 119mb left so I guess the OS uses loads?

I have mate and its just the usual HTC or Android based programs that the phones come standard with. Regularly clear cache aswell but has not really had much effect.
Installed a few small apps last night and now the internal storage is down to 85mb.

If you don't mind me asking how much is your current internal storage? Just so i can get an idea.

I keep chopping and changing roms so I'm not the best person to ask, plus I'm not running Sense UI. The Desire owners should be able to help there tho.

Edit: just installed a new rom and instaaled a few. Apparently, 119mb left so I guess the OS uses loads?

Cannot remember exactly as my phone is charging at mo (yay, 4hrs use today to kill the battery :LOL: Bit unfair as I WAS canning it...) - but when I looked at the memory screen the other day, it showed a similar small amount, but it related to 'phone memory' - not space left on the SD card.

IIRC, the phone has a small amount of internal memory for the OS and then the SD for storage - I'll check again once I've juiced the phone.

Been doing some digging about PopCap Games and Android - and it appears that they announced both Peggle and Bejeweled last summer, but nothing was ever released...

Hopefully we'll see PopCap make the jump to 'Droid soon.

Back
Top Bottom