Guitar Hero Thread

Re: Guitar Hero: World Tour

Wondering what that mysterious, new instrument was going to be for Guitar Hero: World Tour? Don't bother, it's not an instrument. But don't be glum, chum. It's something even better. Certain versions of the game (we'll get to that in a minute) will allow you to transfer MIDI tracks from a PC into the game, allowing you to easily create (or import) your own songs. Which sounds great! So what's the catch? This feature will only work across all instruments on the PS3. For the 360, they can only do the drums, thanks to "unspecified hardware issues". Man, it's just not the 360's day today, is it?

Fuck you Activision, you and your money-grubbing ways, you can't-oh. Sorry! This is actually a fairly sensible idea involving Guitar Hero and money. Seems Activision are looking at introducing subscriptions for Guitar Hero DLC, to cater for the game's heavier users. One possible setup mentioned yesterday during their analyst conference call was to implement an annual subscription, whereby users could pay a flat fee and then download a certain number of songs every month. Provided that gives you a bulk discount, can't see this as anything but a good idea.

Wait til you see the future! During their analyst's day conference call earlier today, Activision announced their intent to run the Guitar Hero brand into the ground. While Bobby Kotick said in May that they want to continue to "expand" the franchise, they've today got specific, saying that means they want 3x the number of Guitar Hero games on the market in 2010, by bringing in more and more developers to work on the series. Yeah. Three times. There'll have been three Guitar Hero games in 2008 by the time Christmas rolls around, so you do the math. Guitar Hero: Timbaland, coming soon!

Ordered my Guitar Hero: World Tour bundle today.

£142 delivered from Play.com with 5% RAC discount (£149.99 originally) ;))

The Midi idea is superb - will save having to hopefully fuck around in the editor too much. Just grab a pre-made midi and I assume the game will flesh it out into a playable song.

THAT could be the clinching feature that puts it above RB...

Whaddya reckon?

It won't be anything like playing a "proper" song, I can't imagine it sounding very good. I'm not really interested in that part at all, to be honest. All I want is the better drums, otherwise I'd be sticking with RB.

Something I thought of last night though, I'm being told all RB stuff will be compatible with GH and vice-versa, but don't the GH drums only have three pads instead of four? So how will that work with RB?

It won't be anything like playing a "proper" song, I can't imagine it sounding very good. I'm not really interested in that part at all, to be honest. All I want is the better drums, otherwise I'd be sticking with RB.

Something I thought of last night though, I'm being told all RB stuff will be compatible with GH and vice-versa, but don't the GH drums only have three pads instead of four? So how will that work with RB?

Midi sounds shite though.

What I (hope?) suspect will happen, is that the game will read the midi file and translate the notes onto the screen (i.e. dots on the scrolling board).

You can then select which are for guitar, drum, bass - so the midi files dont actually play out of your game, its the midi file, but using GH4 'sounds' if you see what I mean.

Of course it will not be as good as a 'real' song - the lack of vocals for a start, but at least its something different to play with.

So whenever you've thought 'I'd love to play that in RB/GH' - for example, the guitar parts of Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits, well, you could now with this mode.

...Something I thought of last night though, I'm being told all RB stuff will be compatible with GH and vice-versa, but don't the GH drums only have three pads instead of four? So how will that work with RB?

There are three main drums, a snare and two toms?? (red, blue and green colours)and the two cymbals. One of the cymbals is yellow and I assume it will correspond with the yellow coloured note on Rock Band.

gh4.jpg

Cheers for that, nice and close-up compared to the last time I saw it.

Hmmm, I'm wondering what to do now, because it will be awkward hitting that on Rock Band. Especially when it's not always going to be a symbal in the song, if you see what I mean.

Oh well, no harm in leaving it for a while, it's been a while since I've played it anyway.

Hmmm, I'm wondering what to do now, because it will be awkward hitting that on Rock Band. Especially when it's not always going to be a symbal in the song, if you see what I mean.

How will it be awkward? It'll not make the sound of a cymbal either, you hit the yellow note, the sound that the yellow makes in Rock Band will come out of your tv.

I ordered it yesterday too, from Game, making sure I get the free Bass. It's the whole quieter drum kit that swung me, would of loved the ION drums for Rock Band, but they ridiculous money, and GHIV is already a small shed full of cash.

Free bass?! Sold!

£134.49 using the £12.50 I have in points and a £3 off code :))

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweet lad, with the PS3 and Wii versions, your getting last years GHIII guitar, and the XB360 it's the GHII Exploder guitar, it's while stocks last, Game, Play and Shopto had those packs.

I have GHIII's guitar, but I aint turning down a freebie!

You can always sell it for £30 or so anyway ;))

Legendary dead guitarist Jimi Hendrix is set to get his very own Guitar Hero game.

That's according to former Guns n' Roses man Slash, speaking in an interview with Rolling Stone.

Slash said it was he who inspired Aerosmith frontmant Steven Tyler to get involved with Guitar Hero: "He called me about it before they did it and I was like, 'You gotta do it,'" he explained. Aerosmith, of course, went on to get their own themed Guitar Hero title.

"And Metallica's doing it, that's great," Slash continued. "And they're doing a Hendrix one, which is great."

Activision has yet to confirm the existence of the title, let alone platforms or a release date. Or whether they will reimburse players who get carried away and set fire to their guitar peripherals.

Think they would have learned after Aerosmith.

Hope all these new games wont mean the artists songs dont get into the main game. If so, that would be Aerosmith, Metallica and Hendrix out of any game (I'm aware Hendrix is in GH4!).

Anyways, I've taken the plunge at Game as well for the free guitar. Had the £3 voucher (cheers for the pointer Dags!), some card points, quidco etc - all helps!

Mind, what doesnt help is also pre-ordering FIFA09 and PES09 - thats £220 of pre-ordered games :( Plus £37 for LittleBig Planet I just pre-ordered from ShopTop! Holy cow :(

Gonna be an expensive few months! I'm going to sell Rock Band next month, hopefully I'll get £100 or so, then I just need to find £37 or so.

How will it be awkward? It'll not make the sound of a cymbal either, you hit the yellow note, the sound that the yellow makes in Rock Band will come out of your tv.

I ordered it yesterday too, from Game, making sure I get the free Bass. It's the whole quieter drum kit that swung me, would of loved the ION drums for Rock Band, but they ridiculous money, and GHIV is already a small shed full of cash.

Yeah I forgot to mention you get the free bass guitar at Play.com aswell.

Looking forward to this - oh and the Death Magnetic DLC :DD

Midi sounds shite though.
Midi itself isn't the problem as a midi file doesn't include the actual sound but instructions on how to reproduce it on a midi-compatible device. In other words, in Windows (which appears to use a small Casio keyboard for midi) they can sound rubbish but use them with professional equipment or instruments and they will sound great.

So what PB suspects/hopes will happen (the game using GH4 sounds to reproduce them) will to a certain extent so they should sound fine.

Sorry if you already knew that, just sticking up for midi. :)

Jay, backup your RB1 tracks to the HDD before you sell it.

You can still export them though? And when RB2 is eventually released in Europe, you'll have the songs saved?

This is all a bit much for me - making your own songs, tweaking a million different stats... the worst part is when DLC comes along for both games and i end up having to then pick which game i'd want it on. But then i don't even know if i could play both games at the same time and get the best out of them.

Oh. My. God.

If you have 17 minutes spare - WATCH THIS!

http://www.gamertagradio.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?p=55460

I love Rock Band, but I'm afraid this puts it in the shade in regards of features etc. RB2 looks poor in comparison as its basically the same as RB1 with an enhanced online.

Only thing about the "GHTunes" service which the guy mentions is it seems that songs will be vetted for copyright issues. So I think you wont be able to make like "Sultans of Swing" and upload it to GHTunes.

I may be wrong, but he was very hesitant to say you could upload 'anything'.

But still, that is freaking impressive on a massive scale. Props to Neversoft.

I lack the creativity to create anything decent :((

Nice to hear that the songs will be free, although the songs the developers created did sound a bit shit and very basic. Hope the songs can be fleshed out a bit more, really did sound like it was computer-generated music and not like a real guitar (which is what I hoped).

I wonder if we can share the save files on the PS3 without uploading.

The guy playing the guitar is kinda freaky as well when he's actually playing it - it's like he's having a stroke

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom