Football Manager 2009

It's really weird but I can't get into the new one at all. It reminds me of when I got my last PES game, I tried to "feel" it but FM isn't fun for me any more. I remember ClassicD saying the same thing a few versions ago and I couldn't understand him, but now it just doesn't do it for me any more. It's got to the point where the matches bore me to tears because I know what's going to happen in every game (Notts Forest oh they'll hammer us, Hartlepool they'll win by one or two, etc.) - all I was playing it for was to buy players.

Oh well, more time to spend on FIFA I suppose.

It's really weird but I can't get into the new one at all. It reminds me of when I got my last PES game, I tried to "feel" it but FM isn't fun for me any more. I remember ClassicD saying the same thing a few versions ago and I couldn't understand him, but now it just doesn't do it for me any more. It's got to the point where the matches bore me to tears because I know what's going to happen in every game (Notts Forest oh they'll hammer us, Hartlepool they'll win by one or two, etc.) - all I was playing it for was to buy players.

I know what you mean mate, I've found I have to keep starting games with different teams until I find one I like and then I can get into it for a while. I've had a good game with Valencia that lasted 3 seasons and now I've started an Arsenal game with an updated database and I'm quite enjoying that but inbetween I must have started 6 or 7 new games with various different teams before I stuck with the Arse. I still haven't been United on 09 which is odd for me cos usually I go them first, then have a proper game after a season or so.

Guess you need to try different teams and different leagues like South America or something so it's something new and fresh?

I think it's more to do with the engine, as good as it is that it's in 3D I just can't get an average team to win - I've tried looking through all the tactics guides, I've even printed pages of them to browse through when making something new, but even then to me it's too much hard work. I'm sure a decent team would win now and then without you having to tell each individual player a different closing down stat. "Kevin, closing down 7, not 8, what did I tell you?! We're 3-0 down now because of you!"

I'll have to get it on PSP, 2D match engine and simpler tactical instructions from what I can remember.

I don't think I can play FM ever again after what happened to me in 2008...Brought a team from the lowest Turkish division with hard work all the way up to the super league. Just when my roster is settled and all my youngsters are coming in to become stars, the game doesn't generate a fixture for the new season and I cant continue playing anymore. HOW FUN!

Ever since, I just couldnt get myself to start from scratch and do it all over again.

I think it's more to do with the engine, as good as it is that it's in 3D I just can't get an average team to win - I've tried looking through all the tactics guides, I've even printed pages of them to browse through when making something new, but even then to me it's too much hard work. I'm sure a decent team would win now and then without you having to tell each individual player a different closing down stat. "Kevin, closing down 7, not 8, what did I tell you?! We're 3-0 down now because of you!"

I'll have to get it on PSP, 2D match engine and simpler tactical instructions from what I can remember.

CB, try to check out the Sheffield United Project thread in the tactical section on sigames.com. Cleon has posted some good information that doesn't envolve a lot of little tactical setup and tweeking. I am still loving this game. But I did only start with FM 08 and that was several months after it was released. But I play this game everyday and I am kinda winning with an average team (Fulham). I guess you can call them below average actually.

I really do. I'm having a go at it right now.

Sidenote: Nice avatar for you. The CW is an american tv station. But I'm sure you already know that. You are turning into a yank more and more. Welcome.

It even matches the colour of his "founder member" tag. :TU:

I think I'm going to try a new game on this tonight, give it one last go. Between trying to get back into this and trying to like the Killzone demo I'm feeling even more of a miserable bastard than normal lately... I'll take a look at that guide you're referring to Becanes, thanks for that.

Sidenote: Nice avatar for you. The CW is an american tv station. But I'm sure you already know that. You are turning into a yank more and more. Welcome.
I did know about the TV Network, used to be Warner I believe?
It even matches the colour of his "founder member" tag. :TU:
I was wondering whether or not to stick with the new avatar, I think I will.

To get this back on topic, I aint played this in a while. Kind of lost the love for it

Haha this game is fucked up! I just drew 1-1 in the Carling Cup quarter final, so it goes to penalties, Eboue misses and I lose 4-3... "Oh dear how rubbish" I think to myself.

I get back to the news screen and it says something about Arsenal needing penalties to get through, and I've been given the prize money for qualifying for the next round having won 4-2 on penalties!

Now when you view the match overview it's got the same penalty takers but incorrect scorers and missers :LOL:

Shocking.

CB i've actually found the less tinkering i do/did the better i do/did, i just adjust team ones, and dont touch the individual ones, the more you go into individual ones the more it seems you create gaps in other places so i just didnt touch it atall. just play a 442 and give the team stuff a few adjustments, high closing down, reasonable tempo etc, and thats it.

Well I am near the end of another EPL season in FM. I am currently in 8th place on 56 points. I'm playing my last match of the season at home against Blackburn who are in 14th. They beat me last time out 3-1. Chelsea is on 59 points in 5th and they are +8 on me in goal differential. So pretty much no chance of catching them. Portsmouth is 6th on 57 points. Everton is 7th on 56 points with me. They are +1 in GD on me. I basically need a win and Portsmouth and Everton to loose so I can get up to 6th. It's possible but I was in a similar situation last season and it didn't work out for me. Wish me luck. Getting ready to play the match right now.

haha.

Well for those who were not able to follow the match live in the chatbox this is what happened. I beat Blackburn 1-0. Portsmouth and Everton both lost. Therefore I finished 6th in the league. My highest league finish ever and I believe Fulham's highest league finish. Into the record books.

Well I gave this another go as Chester City (I usually go Tranmere but I'm playing as Tranmere on FIFA as well, and if I go Tranmere in both I'll get all the transfers mixed up and think I've bought players I haven't).

Amazingly, keeping things simple and bringing in 5-6 free transfers (they were listed for money but the clubs accepted offers of £0), I won all but one of the friendlies, and things are looking good. In the last game I was 3-0 up to Leicester City (from the league above) by half time.

:)

Five minutes into the second half they pulled one back, so I switched the mentality from +1 to -5 (going from the middle of the gauge). Five minutes later they get another goal back, so I pump the defensive line back from +5 to -5. Five minutes later they get another goal back so I switch the tempo from +4 to -5. In the 89th minute they get the winner.

:FAIL:

How do I stop this happening? This happens to me a ridiculous number of times.

Well I had typed a few things but my computer crashed before I could hit submit. (stupid crash dumps when running FM09) Anyways, just keep your chin up and keep going.

Sidenote: I had a player win the golden boot award and another one when the young player of the year award.

Well I gave this another go as Chester City (I usually go Tranmere but I'm playing as Tranmere on FIFA as well, and if I go Tranmere in both I'll get all the transfers mixed up and think I've bought players I haven't).

Amazingly, keeping things simple and bringing in 5-6 free transfers (they were listed for money but the clubs accepted offers of £0), I won all but one of the friendlies, and things are looking good. In the last game I was 3-0 up to Leicester City (from the league above) by half time.

:)

Five minutes into the second half they pulled one back, so I switched the mentality from +1 to -5 (going from the middle of the gauge). Five minutes later they get another goal back, so I pump the defensive line back from +5 to -5. Five minutes later they get another goal back so I switch the tempo from +4 to -5. In the 89th minute they get the winner.

:FAIL:

How do I stop this happening? This happens to me a ridiculous number of times.

If you relate that to 'real' football, this is what could have happened...

Leicester are 3 down and the manager gives them a rollicking as well as the players knowing they need to up their game.

You decide to sit back and defend what you have, inviting pressure on - playing into the hands of the newly determined Leicester.

All of a sudden, you are getting nervy at the back due to the pressure and it only takes one goal back for Leicester to have a surge in confidence and yours to drain.

Difficult one to call, I may have done the same as you - and as Becanes says, sometimes there is not much you can do.

Perhaps next time, instead of going so negative tactically, just take a striker off and stick in another midfielder, just to keep the same mentality, but to sure up the midfield to stiffle an attempt at a comeback right after HT.

Then, if you can keep them quiet for 20 mins of the second half, consider dropping the mentality a bit.

haha.

Well for those who were not able to follow the match live in the chatbox this is what happened. I beat Blackburn 1-0. Portsmouth and Everton both lost. Therefore I finished 6th in the league. My highest league finish ever and I believe Fulham's highest league finish. Into the record books.

Well done mate :TU:

Yeah its probably because you went defensive after conceding

Attack is the best form of defence don't ya know

the last great cm game was 01/02, ie. the last cm3 incarnation, before the abomination that was cm4.

i remember how i used to gag for 'just one more game' when it was half 3 in the morning, and i remember that special bond i felt with my star player who came up through the ranks and the buzz i got from seeing real madrid offering me 40million for him...

those were truly great cm experiences.

i really don't know what is wrong with the latest 4 or 5 versions, but i just don't have that special connection with any of my players that made cm3 so great.

if anything, the game is far, far too complex nowadays and the level of micro-managemtn is completely over the top, and as a result, it has lost much of it's appeal.

in short, the new versions are garbage, and to think i used to look forward to the latest version so eagerly in the past.

cm died with 01/02 (with my personal favourite being 00/01 - which was the first year they included a northern irish league). i remember fondly taking my Institute team to the semi's of the CL and being a major force in european football after only 10 seasons. maybe it's unrealistic, but it sure was FUN, FUN, FUN!

Back
Top Bottom